Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Game of Thrones Holy. loving. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

James Hardon posted:

Breaking Bad: Finished it and now I don't' have to suffer the toxic punishment. Overall, it sucked. Don't understand the hype.

It played better live. I can't imagine binge watching Breaking Bad being anything other than excruciating.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Blossom Season 2: Fans say that this is where the show really hits its stride and I agree. Every episode has been an instant classic and I love the 90s nostalgia feels.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Ok, I'm toxing myself to watch one whole episode of Game Of Thrones. 20 days is enough, I hope.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got way way into The Sopranos can mine just be "watched every episode of The Sopranos again" because I really want to finish that before Shameless and also even watching new episodes of the hour long shows I watch because oh my god The Sopranos season 6

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
:lost: :toxx: :wow: Warning Spoilers.

This is the most incredible show I've ever seen. Are there sometimes some obvious flaws? Absolutely. Like why can't the smoke monster jump over the sound barrier if he can fly?

However, treating this entire show as purely a character drama instead of a mystery show is, I find, a great decision to have made early on. I attribute much of the island's mysteries to the fact that it is a magical island. Most people think J. J. Abrams and assign his name to science fiction, but this is a story where a scientific program goes to an island to study and attempt to control it's strange properties, only to fail. Welcome to the world of magical realism. There are no scientific explanations in the realm of magic, things just happen in accordance to what the island wants.

That said, I find that each character arc is uniquely compelling, expertly written, and perfectly weaved into each other. Charlie's early religious adherence, his downfall to heroin, his subsequent rehabilitation with the aid of Locke, rediscovering Mr. Eko's plane full of heroin, losing everyone's trust, the island attempting to kill him, and finally his heroic sacrifice to save Claire and A-a-ron.

Ultimately, Charlie's sacrifice and the island's wish for his death coincided, but at least he chose his death to mean something.

There are quite a few mythological references in this show.

Jack's kidnapping by the others and subsequent return is marked by heavy distrust by his own group. I found it incredibly similar to Sita, from the Ramayana, and her kidnapping by Ravana. Upon her return to her kingdom, all the citizens were in uproar, claiming she had been unfaithful to Rama during the time she had spent at the enemy's base, despite the fact that Sita was an atmic entity and had already proven herself trustworthy.

Similarly, Locke's journey appeared to be that of Gilgamesh. He spends his time adventuring, hunting for boars, basically being the hero for the camp. Along the way, Enkidu, aka Boone, dies. And suddenly Locke is shattered. He starts spending his time trying to find his purpose, his so-called immortality. He seeks out his Utnapishtim, the island's magic. It leads him everywhere, including the camp of the others where he learns about Jacob, whom he finally meets only to be disappointed, believing Ben to be a paranoid schizophrenic as Jacob is invisible to Locke's eyes. However, the story is subverted when the island contacts him directly, saves his life and brings him to the radio tower.

Finally, I love that this show explains that nobody is irredeemable. Mr. Eko was a hitman and a major thug become priest. Sawyer was a con man and a murderer, but he's still portrayed as a decent guy. He's an rear end in a top hat, but he's still a genuinely good guy with a bad past.

Even though the toxx is finished, I'm still continuing with Lost. I'd like to thank Annakie for starting this fun forum game, as it really turned me onto a fantastic show; one that I really recommend to anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Just the first 3 seasons? I think 4-6 are perfectly fine but I'd like to see your opinions on them. This is where people get ruined (and in some cases, so does the show)

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Ended up finishing the whole series of Malcolm in the middle, and honestly it feels like it ended a little bit too soon and Season 7 was pretty mediocre, though it had it's funny moments and some characters returned, almost forgot Jammie existed, and for some reason the Highschool looks completely different. Oh well, at least it was an almost happy ending.

Cockashocka fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 8, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
4 episodes of The Wire under my belt! I'm home today letting a puncture wound on my foot heal so I'll probably be watching at least another 4. So far so good, I wish I hadn't waited so long to get started.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Just the first 3 seasons? I think 4-6 are perfectly fine but I'd like to see your opinions on them. This is where people get ruined (and in some cases, so does the show)

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Currently working through season 4, didn't realize it was so short (only 13 episodes).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Currently working through season 4, didn't realize it was so short (only 13 episodes).

FWIW, season 4 is the one that improves the most on rewatch. Once you know where everybody ends up, its fun just tracking everybody as they move back and forth across the Island.

edit: It also reminds me of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which is probably why I like it so much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toxx completed. I probably could have finished it faster but once I got to season 5 with about a month left I kind of slowed down. Have they ever said what was going to be different if the show actually did end at season 5? Like, would it have just ended with Dean moving on and Sam stuck in the cage?

All in all I'll probably just keep on going with the series, no longer in a hurry and probably get around to watching the season that's about to start when it gets added to Netflix. Maybe this time next year I'll be ready to watch it live.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wrap up reviews:

"Swan Song"

This is kind of an interesting season finale, especially as the culmination of the "Apocalypse" story arc. Instead of a titanic battle between the forces of Heaven and Hell it mostly boils down to conversations between brothers, Sam with Dean and Lucifer with Michael. While it worked as a whole I think the scenes with Sam and Lucifer probably could have been fleshed out a little more in a separate episode since the show had to kind of rush through that part to get to the final confrontation.

One problem with watching this after the show has been running for a while is that the two deaths didn't really hit me too hard since I knew those characters were still on the show after this season. I was still surprised in the moment but after a beat or two I realized that it wouldn't be permanent. Of course that's kind of been a problem with the show as a whole, characters die and come back to life fairly regularly so it's hard to take deaths super seriously.

I liked that they did make sure to resolve the "where's God?" subplot, which could have easily been pushed off until later. I am a little sad that the reveal takes that character off the board seeing as it will be kind of hard to keep bringing them around now that the audience is aware they're God with a capital G.

Series review:

I've enjoyed the series so far. There were a couple of problems watching so many episodes in a row as you notice some repeating plot points, but nothing too egregious in the long run. Although there are only so many times you can hear Dean say "I'm tired" and then bounce right back a couple of episodes later. Looking back I think I preferred the humorous episodes more than the super serious ones. Oddly enough, the one episode I absolutely, positively HATED (Swap Meat) was a comedic one so take that as you will. It was kind of weird how long the show took to develop an actual supporting cast, with Bobby barely showing up in the first two seasons and Cas not even joining the show until 4. I was also kind of glad that after the first season they mostly dropped the "not gay" subplots where they felt like they had to constantly pair off either Sam or Dean with random case of the week women.

I mentioned this in my previous post but I will continue to watch the show, even knowing that the planned out metaplot is over. I enjoy the adventures of Sam, Dean and Castiel too much to just give up now.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
My rear end is still pushing through The Wire seasons 2 and 3, but I am really enjoying it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Here's the current list of people who haven't finished yet. If you've finished and I missed you're "I'm done, here's my 100+ word review" post, let me know.

* MrAristocrates - Two seasons of Twin Peaks
* KilGrey - First 2 seasons of Game of Thrones
* Bown - 3 seasons of Shameless & season 1 of Masters of Sex
* hcreight - Finishing The Wire (3 seasons)
* J-Spot - 5 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. *Update* - First 8 seasons.
* BigRed0427 - Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, And Hemlock Grove.
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks
* Comfy Chairs - One season of The Wire, one season of Sopranos
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Person of Interest - Starting July 14th.
* precision - Season 2 of Orange is the New Black.
* TurboFlamingChicken - First 3 Seasons of The Wire
* MrSlam - Seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt
* Amy Renee - First three seasons of Community
* Irish Joe - The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy
* Ghosthotel - all of Six Feet Under
* Cockashocka - Seasons 3 - 6 of Malcolm in the Middle
* EccoRaven - first two seasons of Friday Night Lights
* Doctor Butts - First season of Twin Peaks
* GobiasIndustries - Seasons 5-7 of True Blood (done) & Seasons 1-2 of The Wire.
* BSam - Season 1 of Arrow
* Mahlertov Cocktail - Both seasons of Twin Peaks
* DivisionPost - First season of the Rockford Files on Netflix
* Mechanical mandible - both seasons of House of Cards

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I still have Season 5 to go. Will probably get going on that in the next couple days.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Up to one third of the way through season 6. A lot of the episodes are cartoony owing to their source-material, but there was a really cool episode that felt a little like Jacob's Ladder-lite. It's called Skin Deep and if I were a beautiful slender blonde woman I know what I'd being going as for Halloween.

Stars Peter Onorati of Cop Rock fame as a guy who looks and acts not a little like Gob Bluth, if Gob Bluth was into violent sex.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished Twin Peaks this morning but didn't get time to update.

I really liked it at first, but my goodwill faded about halfway through the final season. Cooper got less and less focus and his plots got dull, the charming idiosyncracies were overtaken by the soap opera plots that steadily became less and less ironic, and there's a real lack of tension for a lot of it, especially in the lead-up to Miss Twin Peaks. I really liked the chess game with Windom Earle, and it's a shame that just gets dropped. The introduction of Cooper and Audrey's new love interests immediately after each other was really, really laughable, especially because both couples fall madly in love in like six days. Also, while the One-Eyed Jack's plotline with Audrey was some of the most bizarre poo poo I've ever seen, and definitely a step too far, she had nothing to do after that. I thought it was funny seeing David Lynch as Gordon Cole but the character wore thin pretty quickly. I was definitely ready for it to end. I don't know if I'll watch Fire Walk With Me but I'll consider it.

On the other hand, most appearances of Bob were genuinely terrifying in their own right (Frank Silva is one creepy motherfucker) and Special Agent Dale Cooper may well be one of my new favorite TV characters.

My favorite non-Coop character is Dick Tremayne.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finished my run of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last week but hadn't had a chance to type up my final thoughts.

Season 8 ends with "The Cereal Defense" which is actually a pretty run of the mill episode compared to finales like "The Nightman Cometh" or "The High School Reunion." While driving and trying to make sense of Charlie's tape recorded GPS directions, Frank rear-ends Dennis's car at a traffic light which causes Dennis to spill the bowl of cereal he was eating. Their cars are fine, but Dennis insists that Frank pay to have the interior of the car cleaned, a demand that Frank balks at because Dennis should have known better than to eat a bowl of cereal while driving a car. I've seen this show get compared to Seinfeld fairly often and while it's hardly a clone this is certainly the type of event that I could only see Seinfeld and Sunny staging an episode off of successfully.

Apart from the first and last minutes this is pretty much a bottle episode. Having committed his fair share of sex crimes, Dennis isn't eager to take this case to a real court, so the gang stage their own trial in the pub to decide who is liable. Dee and Charlie assume the role of lawyers for Frank and Dennis while Mac plays judge and bailiff. The whole thing quickly becomes a clusterfuck involving Mac trying to convince Charlie that evolution isn't real, and in the end they just decide to blame the whole thing on Dee. Typically this show likes to pair off the characters into their own subplots, but episodes like this where everyone gets to play off each other are always welcome.

Overall I loved this series and look forward to season 9 showing up on Netflix (hopefully before season 10 begins). So far they've managed to keep a pretty high standard of quality throughout what I've seen. The only episode I can outright say I didn't care for was "Frank's Brother" from season 7. I appreciate their willingness to experiment a bit, but this flashback to Frank's life in the 70's was light on laughs and criminally pushed most of the cast to the periphery. Fortunately everything they've done since has been good to great, so I guess they haven't had their shark jump moment yet.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:

muscles like this? posted:

Have they ever said what was going to be different if the show actually did end at season 5? Like, would it have just ended with Dean moving on and Sam stuck in the cage?

I've heard (from a convention video, I think?) that Adam either wouldn't have existed or wouldn't have been involved, and both Sam and Dean would have gone down that hole. And then there was going to be something else after that that hasn't been disclosed.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I forgot that I had to type a review, so here's something that I typed at the last minute.

How can I explain Malcolm in the Middle? It's really hard to actually explain in depth, it sort of has (Or had, since later seasons seemed to drop the whole grungy "trouble making children" thing) this mid to late 90's counter culture feel, it came out back in 2000 which was when that sort of stuff was still well relevant. It's basically about a dysfunctional household owned by a raging mother and her relaxed but fun loving character of a husband, they have 4 children later 5 children. The oldest one (Francis) is out of the house and sort of has a series wide subplot about his miss-adventures in Military school and later out of Military school, the second oldes (Reese) is a dumb bully who can't make friends but is a good cook, then you have the youngest later second youngest Dewey who is mostly just there to look cute and get into weird antics. Then you have the title character, Malcolm, the whole thing with him is that he spends most of the time talking to the audience and complaining about a lot of stuff, and it turns out, he's a genius. Of course, you probably wouldn't exactly know this outside of the first season episodes since this point gets lost over time and he just seems like an average kid and the later episodes barely represent his school life. The series has had a lot of great antics but one thing I didn't like was how it seems like it doesn't potray the characters it has near the end of the series. I guess the good example of this is the 5th child Jamie, he makes his debut at about season 4 and there's a few antics involving him, problem is that at about the last 2 seasons, I nearly forgot his existence since he was barely involved, there were a few antics here or there but he just felt non-existent or like some object. There have been many times where I'd be watching episodes and a character comes back and I remember "Oh yeah, now I remember, that guy existed!". The series itself ended a little too soon though, as the last 3 or so episodes are rather mediocre, just mostly resorting to "yeah, the series is nearly ending, might as well have these episodes". I guess I'm not really a fan of pre-series finale episodes that are sort of written in a way that they're aware the series is on it's last legs. Overall, Malcolm in the Middle is a great show, it has a nice grungy feel and has something for anyone who can relate to being in a dysfunctional family, though following it from start to finish will make you feel like they missed a few opportunities.

Cockashocka fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 11, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I really am regretting picking Hemlock Grove. This show is so loving stupid and dull.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

BigRed0427 posted:

I really am regretting picking Hemlock Grove. This show is so loving stupid and dull.

You can switch your show if you adhere to the show switch rule in the OP :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Annakie posted:

You can switch your show if you adhere to the show switch rule in the OP :)

NO WAY! I am not tapping out to the love child of Jimmy Dean and Edward Cullen! I started this, I'm gonna finish this and then piss on the grave! :argh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I finished watching this ages ago, so my recollection is hazy, but I'm the laziest so I put off writing this until now.

Arrow, (of which I watched both season 1 and 2) is a fun super hero type show, which is a modern take on the super hero and trying to stay anonymous and be able to function in society.
This is noticeable when the main character is keeping his hero identity secret from his family, particularly when he is actively working against his mother and her evil associates.

There is also a certain amount of origin back story happening as well as the show likes to show us segments of the time the main character was stuck on an island or thereabouts, in ways that are vaguely relevant to the A-plot of each episode. I found these quite boring after a while as it sometimes just felt tacked on, and distracted from the rest of the episode.

Roy, who is a tough youth who befriends the main characters sister also annoys me as he was stolen from Teen Wolf, a much better show. Also this show needs more people from Torchwood in it, and less people from Dr Who.

One other thing this has in common with Teen Wolf is that the cop dad character is generally the best character.

A.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have 5 episodes left in my toxx (everyone was right, the season totally picks up after the first third) so I'll be done soon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

It's over...I finished Hemlock Grove.

Hemlock Grove is an experiment by Eli Roth. His hypothesis is as follows: I can make an audience watch a show about pretty white people problems where nothing happens if eighty percent of the budget is poured into gore and special effects. Season one of the show is about a crazed werewolf killing high school girls in town *because they dared express sexuality. Season two is about a cult killing families, trying to find a baby that will destroy the world. This is all REALLY secondary to the relationship issues of The Godfrey Family, some mad scientists, and our rich protagonist's one gypsy-werewolf friend. Very little actual story progresses from episode to episode and entire plot lines that, if this was made for TV instead of Netflix, would dedicate one maybe two episodes to are stretched across four or five episodes. Characters are introduced that only serve to effect the plot ONCE and then are killed off some time later or never effect the plot at all and get killed off.

For example we have a Russian scientist who is wanted for war crimes in Europe. She, for some reason, convinces Mama Godfrey to let her kill her son, Roman, because he is getting gene therapy so he can no longer be a vampire. We never learn WHY she would get involved or what she would get out of it. Why? Because before she can kill him, Roman kills her. Her only purpose in the plot is to make a serum that could kill a vampire (Which never gets used) and to give Mama Godfrey the idea to eat the other mad scientist's artificially grown human. Their also TONS of scenes in this show that are there either to give us more gore effects or to just pad the run time. You could edit season two down from ten episodes to maybe six.

The worst thing of all about this show? Towards the end there were some REALLY good ideas in this. A vampire that suddenly becomes human has to come to terms with their mortality and all the horrible poo poo they did in their lives? HELL YES! A girl with a deformed body is given a new one? But the new body will simply have a copy of her brain and the original will be put down? Plus giving us moments where the new body and the original interact with each other and wonder if this is such a good idea? HELL YES! But all of the best stuff from both seasons are saved for the final few episodes and it feels like it's to little to late. Plus you introduce new poo poo like flying lizard people (Yes, flying lizard people) To get me to watch Season three.

gently caress This Show. If I had a review show I would be ending this by beating up a cardboard cutout of Edward Cullen recolored to be Roman Godfrey. I still got House of Cards to go. I'll start it tomorrow.

*I do wan't to write a longer review of this show when my TOXX is done. One subject is going to be two characters who are WAY overly sexualized high school freshmen.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 13, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, so, Orange is the New Black Season 2.

Orange is the New Black is a show based on a fake movie trailer in the South Park episode "NAFTA DISASTA". In it, the boys see a film which features a trailer for a sequel to White Chicks called "White Chick". The narration goes as follows:

She was a happy piece of white bread, mysteriously turned into a person, and roped into a criminal conspiracy by her lesbian lover-

*record scratch sound effect*

A sassy black lady in an orange jumpsuit appears onscreen. "Say WHAT?!"

Narrator: Who then betrayed her and got her sent to a prison... where she would have to deal with people who AREN'T WHITE!

*record scratch sound effect*

A sassy Latino lady in an orange jumpsuit appears onscreen. "Que???!!"

Narrator: Now she'll have to deal with life in the Big House, and maybe, just maybe... make some NEW FRIENDS!

A sassy Korean woman appears onscreen. "Oh no, I don't THINK so Missy!"

Narrator: Coming soon, Dagny Taggart is... a WHITE CHICK.

Dagny Taggart: Oh my God you guys!

There is then a montage of clips of moments from the show, including a shot of a shower that's dispensing poop and a discussion about who can have the most lesbian sex in prison.

On a black title card, in small print, "an Adam Sandler production".

edit: Oh for... apparently I can't read because I didn't see the "you must post a 200 word review of the last episode". Fine, I'll do that later.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

precision posted:

edit: Oh for... apparently I can't read because I didn't see the "you must post a 200 word review of the last episode". Fine, I'll do that later.

Oh crap. Hey do my reviews of Hemlock Grove and OITNB met the criteria for the TOXX or do I have to go back and rewrite?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot it said "last episode".

Any review of the series or last episode that is clearly effort will do. You guys are both fine. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if mine was "clearly effort", but thanks Annakie. I'm balls deep in the Subtext Game essay for CD right now and that's due tomorrow. :sweatdrop:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

precision posted:

I don't know if mine was "clearly effort"

I don't know if mine is either. Hopefully I'm cool.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So I have two updates:

The first is that I'm gonna go ahead and add Season 4 of Lost to my toxx.

The second is that I've finished my season 4 toxx of Lost and man it was gripping till the very end.

Time travel was a huge twist this season, a season which albeit short, never felt rushed. No doubt Time travelling will have a major plotline next season. Locke was Bentham? I don't understand how they knew who Jeremy Bentham was, as Locke has never gone by that name. ever. Sun has slowly become a badass as the show progressed, but this new corporate bitch side of her is probably my favorite. She wields power as if she was always fettered to it; this new commanding side of her is brilliant. Sayid finally found his love; sure she's killed a year later, but don't cry because it's over, cry because it happened or so the saying goes. Sayid doesn't seem like the type of man who could settle down, certainly not a man destined to settle down. Hugo is craazy. And Jack turned into his father. I think it makes perfect sense because he was always a man without a sense of purpose. His father, for the longest time, gave him a purpose, a goal. When his father dies, he temporarily loses his path, until the islanders elect him their leader. Leaving the island, leaving his father behind, Jack is once again without a purpose. This deep-seated feeling digs at him, prevents him from coping with the deaths of everyone on the boat, forces him to take the blame and once again feel helpless and unneeded, just like as he once felt while attempting to fix his ex-wife's spine. I don't believe it is Jack's destiny to leave the island, I certainly think that if he goes back, he will be there to stay.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

BSam you're good.

If anyone's not sure if they're done or not, check the OP.

If you're not on the completed list and think you should be, post again and link me to your "I'm done" post. :)

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Ravane posted:

The second is that I've finished my season 4 toxx of Lost and man it was gripping till the very end.

Man, I love hearing from people who are watching Lost for the first time - glad you're enjoying the experience. What'd you think of "The Constant"?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Joose Caboose posted:

Man, I love hearing from people who are watching Lost for the first time - glad you're enjoying the experience. What'd you think of "The Constant"?

The Constant was actually how I thought time travel would work. Going back and forth with a smaller time limit each time built tension incredibly fast, but what I don't know is if Desmond actually changed anything or if this is how it was all supposed to happen anyway. When Daniel looks into his book, it implies the former, but also suggests the possibility that Daniel may have forgotten. I don't how he could have forgotten, though small nuances in his character reveal him to be not as mentally secure as one would think he should be. Ultimately, I thought it was a brilliant episode, probably one of the best in the series, besides the pilot and season 2's first episode.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Toxxed myself to watch the first season of Twin Peaks.
I ended up watching both seasons.

Twin Peaks is, from what I can tell, a Soap Opera about the well-to-do in a small town in the Great Northwest. Only this soap opera has been possessed by the evil spirits of the woods. The spirits infested this well-meaning story with hokey spirituality and dark comedy.

The manner of which the evil spirits affected the lives of those in Twin Peaks is certainly something I should have thought a lot more about before opening this post with such a dumb paragraph as the one above.

Maybe I'll rewatch the series and approach it from this standpoint: All of the events the evil spirits set in motion were not a random escaping of evil, but a deliberate act of self-preservation.

The big problem with that is assuming the evil spirits of the woods are supernatural to the extent that they would know the future. Or, really, even knowing enough about what they could have done to change the course of the town.

Before I stop infuriating you with this lack of intellect and/or insight, I'll leave the assumption at this: The evil spirits/black lodge conspired to change the path that the path Twin Peaks was taking in order to stop their forest from being destroyed. They allowed Mike to kill Laura Palmer which would cause events to cascade to the point where not only would the resort not be built by Horne, but when Horne loses in his bid to win the land: he conspires to make it impossible for the Packards/Martell to as well.

Enough of that.

At the time Twin Peaks came out, I was 12. I had recently moved into a new house, in a new development, in a new town. While it was still in the most populated county of the state- we were around corn. And a lot of empty lots. It was pretty drat boring. Fridays were just another night where there wasn't much to do (no kids I knew nearby that were my age), and I used to go grocery shopping with my Mom (something I had done for years before that). Despite the better house, we still only had one TV. So, whatver my parents watched- I watched. Friday evenings were usually me either doing stuff in my room upstairs or half paying attention to that venerable CBS Friday night soap opera that my Mom could NOT miss: Dallas.

Dallas was boring to me. It was also really weird. I missed the important episode why these really loving rich oil people all had to live in the same house and only had one loving telephone. They lived in this place that always looked warm, but never seemed to be outside. That was the Ewings. The Barnes? Clifford seemed to live in some combination chateau/apartment.

That show, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing were probably some of the inspirations that Twin Peaks drew from. I don't necessarily include daytime soaps, even though I probably should. Daytime soaps were shot a lot differently, even if they had a bit more melodrama than the prime time ones.

So, even though Twin Peaks had a bit of buzz and hype coming into it (an understatement), just hearing the opening theme and the slow build of the first episode- the character introductions and the interpersonal drama- my kid mind probably turned right off. I can't remember how much my parents liked it. However, I do seem to recall Cheers having a pretty strong year. Perhaps we just watched that instead.

Even though I hardly paid attention to a lot of poo poo back then, I still wish I would have been more aware of things back then. I wish I could understand Twin Peaks more from the perspective of the era that it was released in- relative to everything else going on at the time.

Upon watching the pilot again for the first time, I was still slightly repulsed by the opening music. But, this time I'm aware that there's more to the show. So I stick with, and I'm glad that I did.

This has gone on long enough I think so I'll post more later. Next part will be what I think about the characters.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Good job, Doctor Butts!

Everyone else who's not done: You have one week and less than 6 hours left!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pulling for you guys. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

I'm pulling for you guys. :ohdear:

Irish Joe posted:

Well I've got Hulu for another week so I'll put myself down for The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy.

You do realize you haven't finished yours yet, right? :)

For those of you too lazy to click the button to go to the first page, this is who is currently not done:
* KilGrey - First 2 seasons of Game of Thrones
* Bown - 3 seasons of Shameless & season 1 of Masters of Sex
* hcreight - Finishing The Wire (3 seasons)
* BigRed0427 - Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, And Hemlock Grove.
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks
* Comfy Chairs - One season of The Wire, one season of Sopranos
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Person of Interest - Starting July 14th.
* TurboFlamingChicken - First 3 Seasons of The Wire
* MrSlam - Seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt
* Amy Renee - First three seasons of Community
* Irish Joe - The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy
* Ghosthotel - all of Six Feet Under
* EccoRaven - first two seasons of Friday Night Lights
* GobiasIndustries - Seasons 5-7 of True Blood (done) & Seasons 1-2 of The Wire.
* Mahlertov Cocktail - Both seasons of Twin Peaks
* DivisionPost - First season of the Rockford Files on Netflix
* Mechanical mandible - both seasons of House of Cards

If you're on this list and think you should be done, link me you're "I'm done" + review post.

• Locked thread