Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Did I just make a huge mistake by switching from cablevision to direct TV? I switched mainly to get Verizon FIOS internet but now my wife is flipping out because apparently she won't be able to watch her shows when it rains.

How have other peoples experience been with Direct? I am in NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Mindisgone posted:

Did I just make a huge mistake by switching from cablevision to direct TV? I switched mainly to get Verizon FIOS internet but now my wife is flipping out because apparently she won't be able to watch her shows when it rains.

I had direct TV for 3 years in upstate New York, and I lost my connection twice during that time for a total of 5 hours when it was down. Rain, snow, and wind generally wasn't a problem for me.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I had DirecTV back around 1999-2002 and it was fine. I lived in the boonies so it was the only choice; the only time reception was an issue was during the most violent storms, and even then it was nearly as likely that the power was going to out anyway.

I can't imagine the service has gotten worse since then.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
How badly poo poo gets affected by weather has a lot to do with dish position, but generally it works fine. It isn't like the whole thing breaks when it starts getting a bit wet out. It takes a pretty solid storm front and even then, it's just a matter of waiting for that first line of big rear end clouds to pass. Really serious storms, you may have longer delays.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Had it for about 6 months now and I've had maybe 2 actual interrupts or hiccups in my shows, recorded or live, and that's during long periods of pretty dark cloudy weather. This compared to several times per night with Time Warner, who had an actual physical goddamned line running into my house and would only shrug and say "everything's fine on our end...".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

When I had it the issues I had were the result of lovely installation, once that was fixed it took serious weather to cause any service interruption. Is your signal actually going down when it rains or is your wife a time traveler from the 70s? If it's going down, call those idiots until they send the contractor that knows what he's doing, warning, most don't.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Make sure you can reach your dish when it snows. The biggest problem I had with signal loss was was brushing snow off it.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Last winter I was losing tv constantly because of the rain and wind. This is in Southern California, not exactly typhoon and tornado central. I finally had a guy come out and bolt the drat dish down properly and everything seems to be ok now.

The only problem with DirecTv is that its preposterously expensive compared to cable. I have called to whine several times, and they drop the price for a couple months then hike it back up to higher than it was initially. i'm paying $100 for basically basic cable right now. I don't know what the hell i signed up for.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
I live near Seattle, noted for its constant rain, and I rarely have problems with my DirecTV service. For a brief while I switched to Comcast's newest Xfinity service since my roommate at the time temporarily worked there and got us a good price, but even though it was cable and wired directly into my apartment it was constantly going out for long stretches. The DVR also was not recording programs, and deleting programs it had recorded for no discernible reason.

I was very happy to switch back to DirecTV. The only issue I have lately is that sometimes when watching things On Demand it might need to buffer, since it downloads through the internet (which I still get through Comcast). Otherwise I'm very happy with the service and enjoy that it can record like six things at once.

Tell your wife she doesn't need to worry.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Mindisgone posted:

Why not go with Fios for both TV and internet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ThinkFear posted:

Why not go with Fios for both TV and internet?

There may be some niche channels they want, and Directv has a lot of that compared to FiOS.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Unless you're posting from the 90's or someone horrendously hosed up the installation then your TV won't go out when it rains.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Unless you're posting from the 90's or someone horrendously hosed up the installation then your TV won't go out when it rains.

I've had Dish for nearly 18 years and it only goes out when it's raining like a bastard. The longest it was ever out at one time was about 20 minutes, so it wasn't a big deal. I figure if I can't live without TV for twenty minutes, I've got bigger issues.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 14, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Satellites are actually designed to compensate for rain fade through ALC

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

It doesn't happen often but rain fade is an actual thing which does occur in heavy rain. It's not worth worrying about though.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Buffalo, NY goon here.

Even with how atrocious last winter was, I think we lost service for maybe a few hours total through the winter months. Heavy rain will sometimes screw with things, but it's the exception rather than the rule. You do have to watch for snow/ice accumulating on the dish, but honestly..a gentle tap with a broomstick or something to get it off will do.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I live in the Ohio valley, where we have the most versatile weather of anywhere in the Us. When I had a big ice storm a few you years ago I still had service. If have very heavy constant rain for an extended period of time you might loose service.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Mindisgone posted:

You didn't consider the Wife Acceptance Factor? :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

My parents have Direct TV and the signal really only goes out during the worst storms.

However sometimes the signal will just go out randomly for some channels and if someone else in the house watches a certain channel it will knock out service for the rest of house's receivers. But I think this is probably because the dish is 15 years old and my dad won't replace it until it completely stops functioning.

• Locked thread