Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As I understand it RE6 got fairly heavily patched to make things nicer - I only played it post-patch and loving loved it, got all the campaign achievements. Playing it all in co-op surely helped, though.

Playing Revelations now and it's fun but I really miss the extra mechanics of 6, and diving around like a nutjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The best thing to come out of RE6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gthssDs8RLo

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also realize the love it/hate it for 6 also has roots in the console/PC version divide. They changed a WHOLE bunch about the PC version, making guns viable, making the AI less terrible, better pacing for the enemies, etc. You can actually play RE6 PC like RE5 and it works just fine. From what I played of the console versions you basically need to play it in melee if you want to have any fun at all after a certain point.

I bought the game on Ps3 at release to play through it with a huge RE fan friend, and neither of us could get into it. We tried every campaign, and just gave up shortly after the 1st/2nd mission. We just both hated it. When it came out on PC I bought it again to give it another chance, and easily rolled through each of the campaigns, enjoying it quite a bit, without ever using the melee fighting stuff. There was also obvious changes to enemy placement/AI/strength of weapons/etc between the versions as well.

Don't know if it was just the PC version that got the changes, or they also patched the console versions, but I'll throw in that I loved RE6 more then RE5 after playing the PC version.

And that's not even counting stuff like mouse control, which just inherently makes shooting easier.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rookersh posted:

Also realize the love it/hate it for 6 also has roots in the console/PC version divide. They changed a WHOLE bunch about the PC version, making guns viable, making the AI less terrible, better pacing for the enemies, etc. You can actually play RE6 PC like RE5 and it works just fine. From what I played of the console versions you basically need to play it in melee if you want to have any fun at all after a certain point.

I bought the game on Ps3 at release to play through it with a huge RE fan friend, and neither of us could get into it. We tried every campaign, and just gave up shortly after the 1st/2nd mission. We just both hated it. When it came out on PC I bought it again to give it another chance, and easily rolled through each of the campaigns, enjoying it quite a bit, without ever using the melee fighting stuff. There was also obvious changes to enemy placement/AI/strength of weapons/etc between the versions as well.

Don't know if it was just the PC version that got the changes, or they also patched the console versions, but I'll throw in that I loved RE6 more then RE5 after playing the PC version.

And that's not even counting stuff like mouse control, which just inherently makes shooting easier.

Yeah, but does the PC version make the game less about gimmicky bullshit? The core gameplay was always passable on console with the exception of the QTEs, the problem with it was that there was very little. It was always stupid poo poo like turret sections, stealth sections, driving sections, chase sequences. Its like if you wanted to just jump in and kill stuff, you had to deal with a bunch of bullshit first.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'm still waiting for Platinum Games Or Cyber Connect to make a spin-off featuring Jake and Billy :v:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I booted up RE6 for the first time in months recently for an EX3 ticket event and read some patch note about making QTEs automatic as a toggle? I think?

I'm sure I didn't make that up. Didn't try it, though. That recent Castlevania had that as an option, too.

Personally I don't mind QTEs. I kind of like them. That's the only way I can explain loving both RE6 and Heavy Rain.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Akuma posted:

I booted up RE6 for the first time in months recently for an EX3 ticket event and read some patch note about making QTEs automatic as a toggle? I think?

I don't remember this being the case when I played the PC version a few months ago. Perhaps you're thinking of the easiest difficulty, which does QTEs automatically by default? Maybe that was patched in.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

smenj posted:

I don't remember this being the case when I played the PC version a few months ago. Perhaps you're thinking of the easiest difficulty, which does QTEs automatically by default? Maybe that was patched in.
I checked and yeah it's a global toggle as well, now.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ARK2cm-M4

This one is even better.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I LOST ALL OF MY MEN BECAUSE OF PIERS!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SirDrone posted:

I'm still waiting for Platinum Games Or Cyber Connect to make a spin-off featuring Jake and Billy :v:

oh my god this would be loving amazing

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

SirDrone posted:

I'm still waiting for Platinum Games Or Cyber Connect to make a spin-off featuring Barry and Josh :v:

Fixed that for you. How dare you forget a legend

Josh was the best non-Wesker part of that game. :allears: I think he may have also been the only surviving helicopter pilot in the series, as well as continuing the proud suplex legacy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, but does the PC version make the game less about gimmicky bullshit? The core gameplay was always passable on console with the exception of the QTEs, the problem with it was that there was very little. It was always stupid poo poo like turret sections, stealth sections, driving sections, chase sequences. Its like if you wanted to just jump in and kill stuff, you had to deal with a bunch of bullshit first.

This is also a big thing that killed it for me. It never feels like a cohesive experience and jumps from thing to thing like a flea with ADHD.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Fixed that for you. How dare you forget a legend

Josh was the best non-Wesker part of that game. :allears: I think he may have also been the only surviving helicopter pilot in the series, as well as continuing the proud suplex legacy.

Actually, Josh is the only person in RE history, off the top of my head, who never got a vehicle he used destroyed or was involved in one being wrecked. For that alone, he is a legend.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Brad Vickers never forget.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Nope, that's what No Mercy Mercenaries is for and that's why it's the best part of RE6 (and it's only on PC!)

So you can kill all the dudes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

In It For The Tank posted:

Brad Vickers never forget.

no I think people do choose to forget him for quite a few reasons :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aces High posted:

no I think people do choose to forget him for quite a few reasons :v:

Brad: Listen, he’s coming for us. We’re both gonna die!
Jill: What are you saying?
Brad: You’ll see. He’s after S.T.A.R.S. members. There’s no escape.

Yeah...thanks Brad.
"There's a monster after us? Can you give me any details?"
"You'll see."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah...thanks Brad.
"You'll see."

Needs to be inter-cut with shots of Wesker but with wreckage/scenery conveniently obscuring his face in the re-release.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah...thanks Brad.
"You'll see."

I like to think that Wesker hired Brad precisely because he sucks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Trying to just leave the room while Brad is being viciously mauled is one of the many reasons I love RE3.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Goddamn the loot lust that Revelations is giving me is sweet. Kind of sad I wrote it off after playing the demo and only just got it. On the other hand, it only cost £6.

I wonder how a Raid Mode equivalent is going to factor into Revelations 2, with it's episodic nature.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

Goddamn the loot lust that Revelations is giving me is sweet. Kind of sad I wrote it off after playing the demo and only just got it. On the other hand, it only cost £6.

I wonder how a Raid Mode equivalent is going to factor into Revelations 2, with it's episodic nature.

easy, they'll just have it in the final full disc/download after the 4 weeks thing. they've said as much.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I just bought 6 and Revelations in the Steam sale.

Is Revelations all co-op based like 6?

If not, story-wise would I miss anything if I skipped RE6 to play Revelations? My game time is erratic, so playing through 6 co-op would be difficult.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schiavona posted:

I just bought 6 and Revelations in the Steam sale.

Is Revelations all co-op based like 6?

If not, story-wise would I miss anything if I skipped RE6 to play Revelations? My game time is erratic, so playing through 6 co-op would be difficult.

It isn't. There is a co-op Raid Mode after you finish the game.

No, there's absolutely nothing in Revelations that plays into RE6.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Revelations takes place between 4 and 5, and no knowledge of them (or really any other RE game, honestly) is required to know what's going on plot-wise.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Capcom USA had dads write the names for the Resident Evil HD achievements.

While complaining about achievements is dumb, at least implementing these ones give players a reason to try poo poo like Invisible Enemy mode.

That "Knife Only" achievement though seems like self-inflicted sadism.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Viewtiful Jew posted:

While complaining about achievements is dumb, at least implementing these ones give players a reason to try poo poo like Invisible Enemy mode.

Japanese runners do knife only in under 2 hours in their sleep. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, at least they didn't include a One Dangerous Zombie trophy.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, Revelations 2 apparently doesn't have online co-op for the campaign mode.

As in, there's only offline co-op for it.

What a bizarre choice!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's not that bizarre if you think about it, Revelations 2 is trying to deliver a tense atmospheric experience, which simply can't be done when you're shooting the poo poo with your buddy over mumble or PSN/XBL.

I'm not sure it's entirely possible with local co-op either, but we'll see.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One of them says Save Jill Using Barry. Was there a part in REmake that you controlled Barry? I think I would remember that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They probably mean the Jill Sandwich bit, rather than controlling Barry directly.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

poptart_fairy posted:

They probably mean the Jill Sandwich bit, rather than controlling Barry directly.

It's also possibly to make Barry show up for Plant 42 and roast it with a flamethrower like a badass.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Well, at least they didn't include a One Dangerous Zombie trophy.

Preorder canceled.

Seriously though, last I heard REmake HD was a WiiU exclusive. Is it on everything now?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To include Steam! The hardest part for me, is resisting the urge to do another playthrough before the HD collection comes out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Preorder canceled.

Seriously though, last I heard REmake HD was a WiiU exclusive. Is it on everything now?

I don't know why you heard that because from the beginning it was announced for like everything except Wii U.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Dark Id posted:

It's also possibly to make Barry show up for Plant 42 and roast it with a flamethrower like a badass.

Wait, what? How?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, what? How?

It happens when you don't use the V-Jolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Those are pretty okay achievements actually. Not impossible but challenging.