Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Hey rope kid if you're there, Me and Matt are now working on a proposal for weapon damage ranges to balance them against DT, would you mind providing us with the base reload/recovery times for Implements, Hunting Bows, War Bows, Crossbows, Arbalests, Blunderbusses, Pistols and Arquebuses as well as like the roof of DT in the game (ie the highest value on a monster).

I think the animation length for a Hunting Bow is 20 frames, but I'm not sure about the others, all 30 frames ?

I think I know a way to make it so that the efficacy of 1H fast, 1H normal and 2H (as well as the ranged weapons) have around about an equal amount of usefulness across a given range of DT - should be able to do it on Matt's spreadsheet, and then we'll chuck up a thread and you can see what you think.

We should be able to use a similar method to how IAS falls off against pure damage vs DT in our paper.

Might save you some time later on, anyway (as you'll have a better base to work from). I'm sure you've got enough things to do as it is.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Hulk Smash! posted:

:downs::hf::downs:

'Sup fellow idiot. I'm in exactly the same boat. As I get older I play games for the stories mostly and want/need the lowest possible difficulty setting. Them ironman (i.e. Normal) modes are for the young'uns :corsair:
you mean... you have other things to do with your life than reload the same fight fifteen times?

fukkin casual

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sensuki posted:

Hey rope kid if you're there, Me and Matt are now working on a proposal for weapon damage ranges to balance them against DT, would you mind providing us with the base reload/recovery times for Implements, Hunting Bows, War Bows, Crossbows, Arbalests, Blunderbusses, Pistols and Arquebuses as well as like the roof of DT in the game (ie the highest value on a monster).

I think the animation length for a Hunting Bow is 20 frames, but I'm not sure about the others, all 30 frames ?

I think I know a way to make it so that the efficacy of 1H fast, 1H normal and 2H (as well as the ranged weapons) have around about an equal amount of usefulness across a given range of DT - should be able to do it on Matt's spreadsheet, and then we'll chuck up a thread and you can see what you think.

We should be able to use a similar method to how IAS falls off against pure damage vs DT in our paper.

Might save you some time later on, anyway (as you'll have a better base to work from). I'm sure you've got enough things to do as it is.

We see through your unsubtle attempts to replace ropekid in some evil skrull plot. You'll never take his designer spot. NEVER!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I had my share of getting owned by the beetles when I played when tired... Did it again today and it went rather better.

One thing I will say though I'm a bit leery of talk of making the enemies more actively seek out your back lines. There currently seem to be pretty few tools to prevent enemies from moving past your sturdier party members if they want to and it leads to structure of the fight descending into a set of individual melees. This is partially what happened when I was playing whilst tired; I was attracting the attention of too many beetles and one would hit the fighter and the others would flow around and chew through everyone else.

Btw, does the game keep track of whether you pilfer things from dwellings, barrels in the village etc?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Well for one thing currently moving pauses recovery, so moving past melee opponents is pretty easy because of that, they might get one attack in but that's it, and then when they chase it's like LULZ CANT ATTACK SOZ

That's why that poo poo needs to be removed it's just awful for melee.

evilmiera posted:

We see through your unsubtle attempts to replace ropekid in some evil skrull plot. You'll never take his designer spot. NEVER!

Well the other day he replied to a topic on the Obs boards about Bows (and implements) being terrible. There's a reason why they're terrible and it's not limited to just bows and implements. All of the weapons have been balanced against DT 0 rather than taking DT into account. If the armor system was percentile, they would be roughly balanced. However it's an integer system, and the deficit needs to be taken into account. All 1H Fast, 1H normal weapons as well as bows and implements are _horrible_ vs armor - except for Stilettos and Maces because they have an OP -5 DT property. Estocs are _THE_BEST_ (deliberately i swear) unless the enemy has a high piercing resistance.

We can use Matt's spreadsheet to find damage ranges for each weapon relative to their attack speed to make them effective versus a range of DT rather, so that against 10 DT, maybe 1H Normal weapons are slightly better than the others, against 15 DT, maybe 2H weapons are better (just as an example).

I'm not sure that's what they want, but it's an avenue to explore anyway.

edit: based on rope kid's "tunin' tips and tricks" from 2009, it sounds about on the money tho

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 13, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is it too late to suggest a mini-questline? Because getting help with a standard RPG player's kleptomaniacal tendencies in-game would be hilarious.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Where should I be able to get the rope and tackle again to get the egg down? For some reason I can't find any this run.

Barring that anyone have the item code for them?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Munin posted:

Where should I be able to get the rope and tackle again to get the egg down? For some reason I can't find any this run.

Barring that anyone have the item code for them?

I think I bought mine from the innkeeper or the blacksmith. In my playthrough I died and had to reload after successfully using two ropes to get the egg down, and after the reload I didn't have both ropes with me anymore.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Munin posted:

I'm a bit leery of talk of making the enemies more actively seek out your back lines.
It might just make it more advantageous to have a more robust front line? Less mages and more fighters per party? (Im not using the beta, but if it worked that way I wouldnt mind.)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It won't be too bad if the AI stops it's backline attack if it gets stopped by a engagement root - then you'd get rewarded for proper positioning and placing your front-line right. If it just keeps going after the engagement attack hits them it'll be a real problem.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DatonKallandor posted:

It won't be too bad if the AI stops it's backline attack if it gets stopped by a engagement root - then you'd get rewarded for proper positioning and placing your front-line right. If it just keeps going after the engagement attack hits them it'll be a real problem.

Well, YOU'D keep going. You'd sacrifice a hit on your fighter in order to get to a mage in the back line. Why can't the AI?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At the moment the stamina numbers seem pretty robust (I imagine to minimize the swing-y calculations of D&D damage). In the absence of "stickier" combat that rope kid has talked about, the linebackers of the party seem less effective. Attacks of opportunity don't seem particularly discouraging, but combat is still kind of borked anyway

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drifter posted:

Well, YOU'D keep going. You'd sacrifice a hit on your fighter in order to get to a mage in the back line. Why can't the AI?
It can, and should, in the next BB update. Some creatures have an AI targeting preference with a strength that says "even if I get engaged, I will keep on moving to get to my target".

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
To be honest, I was skeptic when Sensuki came up with the initial format. However, after reading the paper, I'm inclined to chime in the opinion "Why not just give it a try?" since it's not just an opinion but supported by the numbers-also, my limited experience from the Beta makes me feel the direction right. I, myself, find it hard to counter-argue them when the numbers and my own experience feel synchronized.

It's unusual of ropekid to reject them just because the idea are not from the devs. I may be overestimating the wisdom of the crowds but, then again, to be fair, I don't think Sawyer offered a competent alternative against them, at least, atm. Possible counterarguments/concerns could be something related with additional conditions such as the optimization of AI and/or different types of enemies/attacks which are yet to be implemented in the Backer Beta but he didn't even give such reasoning.

Also, I think what they are doing with the weapon damage range is to the right direction (before we can talk about ranged/melee focused class distinctions) since I feel the power of the ranged weapons uneven (the bows and the guns/arbalest-yet to try the fabulous Estoc), even from my (again) limited experience with the Backer Beta. If they try to force the devs to use their own version, it could be a problem but, basically, they are just offering some statistics and different point of view. The devs can point out possible issues from their own viewpoints.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sea Otter posted:

It's unusual of ropekid to reject them just because the idea are not from the devs.
So unusual that, unless you are in an alternate timeline, I didn't.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Ah, I see you played Bioshock: Infinite as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Drifter posted:

Because most good games have an AI that sticks to the rules that the player is allowed to break. A powergaming AI really sucks, because it's a one-note AI. It'll do the one-best-move over and over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, he complimented their research and even pointed out that they came to the same conclusions independently about things like attack speed. Where'd you get out-of-hand-rejection from?

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

rope kid posted:

Well, I didn't phrase "to have rejected", either. ;)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There were only a few minor points we disagreed on. I don't think Interrupt should be connected to an Attribute at all, really. Matt516 didn't strongly object to that. Deflection on Resolve feels a li'l odd, but with INT as AoE/Duration and RES as Concentration/Deflection, it made me think there would be more incentive for more classes to take each if it were INT = AoE/Deflection and RES = Concentration/Duration.

After Ferrinus' post last night, I thought that the range of various buff/healing spells could be reduced with PER increasing range for anything non-melee. Range is more about utility than anything else, but it could be a good incentive and it seems to "make sense".

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FRINGE posted:

It might just make it more advantageous to have a more robust front line? Less mages and more fighters per party? (Im not using the beta, but if it worked that way I wouldnt mind.)

Not really since it feels like there is nothing the front line can really do to actively hold them there at the moment if they are determined to go for your back line. Currently you basically have to engage with your fighter (or whatever sturdy character you picked) as otherwise they'll go for whoever attacked them first and unless you are in a tight corridor there is very little you can do about it. The fighter then spend most of the fight wailing on something's back with little to show for the survivability investment.

Also engagement currently is badly communicated (especially on multiple targets) and its effect on combat seems limited when an enemy does just decide to run past. Enemies currently don't seem too prone to pulling away and switching targets once they've started attacking someone.

[edit] Also, I checked both blacksmith and inn before and they were both bare of rope and tackle. Can it be spawned or are there any anywhere else?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's a different (longer?) version of rope and tackle in the Skein dungeon, but the last I got it was during the initial beta and so all the item-contextual options bugged out on saving. I'm assume it's there for a specific purpose in that particular dungeon, though I am curious as to whether you can go spelunking in the other dungeon with it.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

There were only a few minor points we disagreed on. I don't think Interrupt should be connected to an Attribute at all, really. Matt516 didn't strongly object to that. Deflection on Resolve feels a li'l odd, but with INT as AoE/Duration and RES as Concentration/Deflection, it made me think there would be more incentive for more classes to take each if it were INT = AoE/Deflection and RES = Concentration/Duration.

What's odd about Deflection on Resolve btw?

I replied to your posts in the OE thread but dunno if you saw them, based on our findings anyway I'm not sure that Accuracy on it's own at +1 per point and Def/AoE and Dur/Con would be balanced enough, they're all weaker than the three 'perfect' attributes atm - Might, Constitution and Intellect.

Crossposted points:

quote:

Durations and AoEs are best together. Intellect is most beneficial for caster classes. Priests and Druids (perhaps Ciphers too?) moreso than anyone as they have lots of duration based spells, and lots of AoE (duration based) spells.

If you separate Duration from AoE, this makes it much, much harder for these casters to get the most out of their build, as they will be wanting to ideally pump the attributes that give these things, but because the bonuses are now split over these two attributes they have to sacrifice a lot more of their attribute points just to get the bonuses. They would be getting other bonuses as well (the other bonuses that would paired with them on this proposed system) however I think this actually creates less flexibility for them and makes it harder for them to have a good build, and makes it easier for other classes to get exactly what they want.

I also think that doing this makes it so that Action Speed won't be really super necessary on any class build, whereas in our system for buff and debuff casters it would be the second best statistically as both of the 'universal stats' would be best for them.

I think AoE/Deflection and Durations/Concentration become way more dumpable on some classes as well. I like Interrupt in the attribute system as it pairs with Accuracy nicely, although it might need slight altering to make it a bit more intuitive or something.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 14, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

rope kid posted:

There were only a few minor points we disagreed on. I don't think Interrupt should be connected to an Attribute at all, really.
Then how do you build for it? Weapons? Maybe some. . fighter talents??

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Weapon weight or damage maybe? Make it like a stun meter from fighting games? Successive hits (not Grazes) over a certain period of time increases the chances of getting an Interrupt?

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Some weapons do better interrupts already, but 'heavier' weapons don't by default because they're balanced against the speed of lighter weapons. Slower weapons do more interrupt, but IIRC only to offset they're slow rof.

I don't see why interrupt shouldn't have its own attribute, and it seems destined to be marginalized if it doesn't have much design space.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
With regards to stickiness on front-liners, would it be an improvement if the engagement attack actually stopped the opponent in their tracks and forced them back into engagement the fighter/whoever? Perhaps when attempting to disengage, a normal attack vs def roll is played, if successful disengagement fails, they get the disengagement attack and their movement away is actually canceled, and they have to try again. Against a high accuracy frontliner it would make it quite difficult to disengage. This would have implications for the player as well as enemies, and it would make the rogue's escape ability a lot more valuable, as well as the talent that increases engagement limit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

rope kid posted:

After Ferrinus' post last night, I thought that the range of various buff/healing spells could be reduced with PER increasing range for anything non-melee. Range is more about utility than anything else, but it could be a good incentive and it seems to "make sense".

PER increasing targeting range, generally, sounds like a good idea.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Durations and AoEs are best together. Intellect is most beneficial for caster classes. Priests and Druids (perhaps Ciphers too?) moreso than anyone as they have lots of duration based spells, and lots of AoE (duration based) spells. If you separate Duration from AoE, this makes it much, much harder for these casters to get the most out of their build, as they will be wanting to ideally pump the attributes that give these things, but because the bonuses are now split over these two attributes they have to sacrifice a lot more of their attribute points just to get the bonuses.
If INT is so good that every caster should always max it, I don't think that's a good thing. For any class, I think an easy experiment is to ask "Would you ever trade a point of X for Y?" Not would you always, but would you ever. Building a character's Attributes should always involve a series of trade-offs.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Diomedes posted:

With regards to stickiness on front-liners, would it be an improvement if the engagement attack actually stopped the opponent in their tracks and forced them back into engagement the fighter/whoever?
A successful Disengagement Attack should cause re-engagement.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

A Catastrophe posted:

Some weapons do better interrupts already, but 'heavier' weapons don't by default because they're balanced against the speed of lighter weapons. Slower weapons do more interrupt, but IIRC only to offset they're slow rof.

I don't see why interrupt shouldn't have its own attribute, and it seems destined to be marginalized if it doesn't have much design space.
The fewer inputs a value has, the more weight each input actually has. There are three elements that currently go into Interrupt: Base Interrupt (large effect, on the weapon or attack), Perception bonus (smaller effect), and the attack results (large effect). Putting an Interrupt bonus on the Attribute that also affects the attack result wouldn't change how anyone would build their character and it seems redundant/unnecessarily obfuscating for a relatively minor difference. I think Interrupt-oriented Talents could grant larger bonuses and produce a more obvious difference.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

rope kid posted:

The fewer inputs a value has, the more weight each input actually has. There are three elements that currently go into Interrupt: Base Interrupt (large effect, on the weapon or attack), Perception bonus (smaller effect), and the attack results (large effect). Putting an Interrupt bonus on the Attribute that also affects the attack result wouldn't change how anyone would build their character and it seems redundant/unnecessarily obfuscating for a relatively minor difference. I think Interrupt-oriented Talents could grant larger bonuses and produce a more obvious difference.
I may have misunderstood, would Per still be adding an interrupt bonus in the newer version? I guess it's marginal in its current form.

Either way, I would be quite happy if the interrupt strat basically involved swapping to your bonkin' weapon and looking for crits. I'm sympathetic to efforts to encourage more weapon shifts. As for build, while I like the idea of Interrupt Talents, it occurs to me that talents are already being used to answer a lot of questions. With a limited number on each character, talents risk some of the flaws manifest in the 3e dnd feat system.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 14, 2014

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe if a Fighter makes a Disengagement Attack and it Hits or Crits, the opponent is also knocked Prone?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

coffeetable posted:

you mean... you have other things to do with your life than reload the same fight fifteen times?

fukkin casual

Filthy old casual reporting in

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.

rope kid posted:

A successful Disengagement Attack should cause re-engagement.

Oh, that's great! From the way people were talking about it, it seemed like they found their fighters weren't very sticky and opponents were getting away too easily. For those who have the beta, do you feel the disengagement attacks causing re-engagement? Or are disengagement attacks failing too often? Maybe they should get an accuracy bonus? OR do they already?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SoggyBobcat posted:

Maybe if a Fighter makes a Disengagement Attack and it Hits or Crits, the opponent is also knocked Prone?

The players would throw poo poo fits if their characters got knocked out whenever they tried to skate through an enemy front line.

And really, your characters getting disabled enough to prevent you from acting isn't really fun, unless the 'wait' is only a twenty frame get-up animation, maybe.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
^^^If they can take a Web spell or a trap, they can take a knockdown or a Disengagement Attack.

Diomedes posted:

Oh, that's great! From the way people were talking about it, it seemed like they found their fighters weren't very sticky and opponents were getting away too easily. For those who have the beta, do you feel the disengagement attacks causing re-engagement? Or are disengagement attacks failing too often? Maybe they should get an accuracy bonus? OR do they already?
OE is working on some key issues relating to this, including better info on screen. For instance, atm the AI isn't very likely to trigger disengagement attacks, making them hard to test. Another patch is needed before it's clear how all this stuff actually operates in play.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fighters currently have Crippling Guard at higher level, which automatically inflicts the Hobbled condition when they land a Disengagement Attack.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a different (longer?) version of rope and tackle in the Skein dungeon, but the last I got it was during the initial beta and so all the item-contextual options bugged out on saving. I'm assume it's there for a specific purpose in that particular dungeon, though I am curious as to whether you can go spelunking in the other dungeon with it.

Yeah I picked those up. It's funny how one has a rope icon and the other a grappling hook but they are both called "Rope and Grappling Hook".

Other quick question. What triggers fatigue? I used camping supplies and two of my guys are back to minor fatigue after 1 fight.

Finally, thanks for the posts rope kid. My posts do tend to the negative but I have been enjoying the beta so far. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Resting should completely get rid of Fatigue, but otherwise it's just the lapse of time that generates it (combat generates it much faster).

• Locked thread