Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Nier, there's a mission in Emil's mansion of a friendly shade in the study.
The shade in question - is completely harmless, it can't fight, and all it does is run.

So, you'll let your partners do the deed so you won't feel bad right? Wrong.
He's got a shield that only magic can break - Kanie will continually slash him in vain, and Emil - will not do anything at all.
You have to break the shield. Which will cause it to run, meaning you then have to chase it around.

The thing also has insanely high health, having more than what seems like the desert boss and factory boss combined.
So not only are you breaking the shield, but you are hitting it for what feels like forever. Something completely harmless.

It actually hit me harder than most of the story shades who while, sympathetic, don't think twice about trying to kill you and are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I recently started playing Final Fantasy XIV. Like a lot of MMOs you can get mini-pets for your character, and I love the fact that some of them do more than just hang out with you. There's a coeurl (magic leopard) kitten that will jump into the fray and take teeny-tiny swats at enemies. A wolf puppy that will growl at them and a Moogle who will dance along with any other player's moogles that it gets close to. :3:

WoW had a couple that would do cool things too, there was some sort of evil eye type pet that would zap and vaporize any critters (rats, squirrels, etc) that it got close to, and also a spring rabbit that would produce a bunch more baby rabbits if you brought it near another one.

Here's the moogle dance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--i1U0XK9F8

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
If you unlocked Stinker the skunk he will fall in love with, and chase after, another player's Black Tabby pet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXc1YzO3ZzQ

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

I recently started playing Final Fantasy XIV. Like a lot of MMOs you can get mini-pets for your character, and I love the fact that some of them do more than just hang out with you. There's a coeurl (magic leopard) kitten that will jump into the fray and take teeny-tiny swats at enemies.

Whenever you get into combat, the kitten arches its back and hisses at the enemy. :3:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Got back into TF2. The new demo shield is so beautifully broken and op. I never demoknighted but I've been chaining charge kills with it and tanking hits with my katana.

Also conga line taunt is great.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Sometimes in CS:GO you get a mission to win a number of competitive matches on a certain map. You can be in the queue a while to finally get a match, but you can alt+tab out and do other stuff without the background noise from the game. When your game is ready to go, the game will chime in with "READY" and the music will start up. Very nice touch.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Sometimes in CS:GO you get a mission to win a number of competitive matches on a certain map. You can be in the queue a while to finally get a match, but you can alt+tab out and do other stuff without the background noise from the game. When your game is ready to go, the game will chime in with "READY" and the music will start up. Very nice touch.

I was only thinking about that this evening. Dota 2 does the same thing when it starts a match. It's so ridiculously convenient when you're off killing time and doing other stuff during a five or ten minute queue; I wish that games that have insane wait times for groups and instances would do the same musical sting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The thing I like best about Destiny so far is that it's a nicely polished AAA FPS that isn't a milsim.

There's all kinds of colorful space armor and laser guns and poo poo. It feels like such a breath of fresh air.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Space/futuristic shooters are not really my cup of tea but it's been getting so much praise I'm tempted to buy it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

The thing I like best about Destiny so far is that it's a nicely polished AAA FPS that isn't a milsim.

There's all kinds of colorful space armor and laser guns and poo poo. It feels like such a breath of fresh air.

I'm having a ton of trouble deciding what class to play purely due to aesthetics.

Titan's are tanks and I love tanky classes, but hunters get these bitchin capes and warlocks have these kick-rear end robes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

beato posted:

Space/futuristic shooters are not really my cup of tea but it's been getting so much praise I'm tempted to buy it.

It's funny, I kept reading really mediocre reviews of it but everything listed as a negative only made me want it more:

"If you don't do side missions you can be underlevelled for story content!" Uh, cool, that means I can have a handle on the difficulty myself and go grind a bit if I get stonewalled somewhere.

"You don't see that many people on any given map!" Well, you can see enough that it doesn't seem super empty, but the populations in each instance are low enough that performance stays good (at least so far) and you'll never run out of things to kill.

"There are random loot drops!" gently caress it, take my money already.

I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone though.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, I keep hearing how derivative it is in gameplay and story; but Halo was about as derivative as it gets and those games kept me entertained for hours and hours. I think derivative is OK if you do it well enough.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think people expected Halo in space and got something completely different. That's been my impression from most reviews.

Outside of story, its not very hand holdy either, you can roam freely quite a bit, you can even bump into level 20 enemies in the level 3 zone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The MMO mechanics are a little shallow and there's a noticeable lack of content in general but the shooting is rock solid so if you like that you'll be having some kind of fun at every moment.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Alteisen posted:

Outside of story, its not very hand holdy either, you can roam freely quite a bit, you can even bump into level 20 enemies in the level 3 zone.

See I love that. It's why I couldn't stand WoW. Some of the best times playing Ultima Online where when I'd be hunting deer and rabbits, and then some Lich Lord would show up out of no where, and I'd have to GTFO.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I think people expected Halo in space and got something completely different. That's been my impression from most reviews.

Wasn't Halo already in space though?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Captain Lavender posted:

See I love that. It's why I couldn't stand WoW. Some of the best times playing Ultima Online where when I'd be hunting deer and rabbits, and then some Lich Lord would show up out of no where, and I'd have to GTFO.

I dunno before they nerfed all the random elites in WoW I'd always be checking my back, and walking through Stranglethorn Vale to get to Booty Bay before you got your mount was nerve racking as hell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally I think Destiny is just another Titanfall and people are getting so hyped up about it because 'Ohemgee a game on the new consoul!' since there's not that much that you could play otherwise. I mean, the Wii-U is finally starting to roll out some good games now almost two years after launch with most of the games to be excited for that aren't Super Smash Bros. not being till next year.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Wasn't Halo already in space though?

Everything's in space.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm playing through Dishonored and drat it's a good game. Some things to love:

The Heart is a great little item. Point it at anyone and get their innermost secrets revealed. Point it at a building, get a sense of the history of the district you're in. It adds depth in a really quick, unique manner. The visuals are already strong at giving you a sense that the city was this once-proud thing that's fallen to the wayside, but The Heart is the icing on that cake.

Another cool thing is the propaganda announcements done over the loudspeakers throughout the game. They start out normally enough - "Curfew is enforced in this area" - but as you're more successful at pissing off the chain of command and getting closer to the end, they become more frantic and harsh. "IF YOU SEE ANY STRANGE THINGS REPORT IMMEDIATELY PLEASE NOW OKAY?!?!?"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ryoshi posted:

It's funny, I kept reading really mediocre reviews of it but everything listed as a negative only made me want it more:

"If you don't do side missions you can be underlevelled for story content!" Uh, cool, that means I can have a handle on the difficulty myself and go grind a bit if I get stonewalled somewhere.

"You don't see that many people on any given map!" Well, you can see enough that it doesn't seem super empty, but the populations in each instance are low enough that performance stays good (at least so far) and you'll never run out of things to kill.

"There are random loot drops!" gently caress it, take my money already.

I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone though.

I don't see anything all that negative in what you listed, but nothing revolutionary to the point of "OMG must buy!" either. You could take that stuff and apply it to a ton of games.

I thought people were just losing their poo poo about it because of Bungie. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kimmalah posted:

I thought people were just losing their poo poo about it because of Bungie. :shrug:

Oh, THAT'S what's been confusing me about these two games for months. I could never get straight which one was the Xbox title and which one wasn't, and that was probably because I assumed Bungie was making the Xbox one.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The combat in Destiny is pretty baller. Makes you feel like a real bad rear end while not being too easy. Also exploring one night I stumbled on a level 18 secret world boss at like level 5. Surprised the poo poo out of me.

My favorite small thing though is the loading screens are so loving pretty and sci-fi. Also the game reminds me of those old books and pictures of space ships in the distance, general awesome sci-fi like this:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm playing through Dishonored and drat it's a good game. Some things to love:

The Heart is a great little item. Point it at anyone and get their innermost secrets revealed. Point it at a building, get a sense of the history of the district you're in. It adds depth in a really quick, unique manner. The visuals are already strong at giving you a sense that the city was this once-proud thing that's fallen to the wayside, but The Heart is the icing on that cake.

Just to add, when the heart beats, you can see the gears in the little window turn and grind away. It's almost unsettling.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

TontoCorazon posted:

The combat in Destiny is pretty baller. Makes you feel like a real bad rear end while not being too easy. Also exploring one night I stumbled on a level 18 secret world boss at like level 5. Surprised the poo poo out of me.

My favorite small thing though is the loading screens are so loving pretty and sci-fi. Also the game reminds me of those old books and pictures of space ships in the distance, general awesome sci-fi like this:

I absolutely love the backgrounds in this game. The Mercury multiplayer map background is my favorite so far.

Edit: Mars is kinda neat too.

Draven has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 14, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Smelly posted:

I absolutely love the backgrounds in this game. The Mercury multiplayer map background is my favorite so far.

Edit: Mars is kinda neat too.

I haven't even seen those yet, gently caress yea!

Also seeing a half destroyed ISS in the skies above the moon is cool as gently caress.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One cool thing I noticed in Destiny is that all of the locations you go to are real places on the Moon, Venus and Mars. The Ocean of Storms, Ishtar and Meridian Bay, respectively.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Metro Last Light: That phone call in the Khan section. "pick it up Artyom. I think it's for you!" So out of place, it shouldn't work at all, but I kind of like it, as a signal that the game is now on the way to Crazytown for the next level.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played Destiny, but I think it's really cool that a game is making planets in our solar system the setting of its story. It kind of makes me want to get a next gen console to play it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

timp posted:

I haven't played Destiny, but I think it's really cool that a game is making planets in our solar system the setting of its story. It kind of makes me want to get a next gen console to play it.
It's also available on PS3 and 360 if you'd rather not make the jump just yet.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Hopping on the Destiny train here.

Landing punches is incredibly satisfying. Seeing low-level badguys just crumple like the jerks they are hasn't gotten old yet.

Also, the music is some of the best space-opera music in a game since Mass Effect. It adds so much atmosphere.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Just finished Gone Home. Its incredible how well the characters are built up. Characters that do not have a single second of screen time.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

barcoded posted:

Just finished Gone Home. Its incredible how well the characters are built up. Characters that do not have a single second of screen time.

Now you've done it.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Now you've done it.
:can:

Enter the dominatrix: poor Donnie says something to the effect of "at least I get screentime in SR4", and it cuts to the Boss silently shaking her head with a poo poo-eating grin on her face

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of great melee combat, the condemned games have the most satisfying hand to hand combat system by far. When you punch or hit anything you can practically feel the shock in your arms. It's beautifully visceral.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of great melee combat, the condemned games have the most satisfying hand to hand combat system by far. When you punch or hit anything you can practically feel the shock in your arms. It's beautifully visceral.

Condemned is a great game all around but the combat is really absolutely the best part of it, and it's criminal that no other game has implemented it before because it is just so insanely good. I feel like if Bethesda copied it wholesale for their next open world romp it would honestly be all I ever wanted out of them, and I hope that some modder has the same idea once Open Morrowind goes stable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Destiny has simultaneous kills in multiplayer when you both smack each other dead like Halo did.

A lot of people hate these but I find them hilarious every time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Destiny has simultaneous kills in multiplayer when you both smack each other dead like Halo did.

A lot of people hate these but I find them hilarious every time.

The unintentionally best part of Halo multiplayer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So The Sims 4 added a new "emotions" system to the series, where instead of just being in a good mood or a bad one like previous games, different events can add points to one of like 14 emotions, and whichever one is dominant gives your Sims new animations, new ways of interacting with other Sims or objects, etc.

If your Sim is in a confident mood, they can "pee like a champion."

LIKE A CHAMPION :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Hopping on the Destiny train here.

Landing punches is incredibly satisfying. Seeing low-level badguys just crumple like the jerks they are hasn't gotten old yet.

Also, the music is some of the best space-opera music in a game since Mass Effect. It adds so much atmosphere.

Too bad they fired the guy for no reason.