Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

The Dalong pictures of the Mk-II stickers look really ugly (even on the AEUG model) because of the "transparent" areas of the stickers. Is that not true in person?

if you are topcoating your models like you should be doing its not a thing.

Dalong builds everything, but probably doesnt have time to make it all look perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who has tips on panel lining? How do I know what to line?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

Who has tips on panel lining? How do I know what to line?

line indented things, dont line around raised areas like the head MGs

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
I just got a shipping notice for the MG Nightingale, and I am psyched. I just recently finished the Sazabi Ver. Ka and am planning to do Char's Rick Dom for my next MG.

...Yeah, I like Red Comet mobile suits

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

line indented things, dont line around raised areas like the head MGs

I don't know what you mean by "Head MGs"

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Machine guns, maybe? That's all I got...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Unless you're going for the Dalong look, you basically want to only panel line what would help bring out the detail that's molded into the plastic. Here's an example:

Hope that helps some.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think I'm the only filthy heathen who actually likes the Dalong look on certain kits. THey're big silly anime robots in bright colors, having them look really cartoony makes sense to me.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Some kits looks like they were lined with a big fat Sharpie and that looks like a hot mess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Missing Link posted:

Some kits looks like they were lined with a big fat Sharpie and that looks like a hot mess.

Yeah I don't do all that, I'll do some of the extra stuff he does that's not specifically panel lines but it's still real fine lines with a Gundam marker.

Just got back from Hobbytown with new tools and RG Char's Zaku. My name is Dickeye and I am an addict.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...

I think I'm the only filthy heathen who actually likes the Dalong look on certain kits. THey're big silly anime robots in bright colors, having them look really cartoony makes sense to me.

I do too. On certain kits. Some kits he goes a bit overboard, but on some it looks really nice.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Just finished Zaku Amazing HG, nice looking, but like Kampfer not that posable and build quality doesn't feel that great. I have Build Strike gundam full package in the backlog, hoping that is a bit better.

Looks nice next to my Char's Z'Gok though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

Just finished Zaku Amazing HG, nice looking, but like Kampfer not that posable and build quality doesn't feel that great. I have Build Strike gundam full package in the backlog, hoping that is a bit better.

Looks nice next to my Char's Z'Gok though.

I found the posing on the Kampfer Amazing to be okay, though the same cannot be said of the Zaku Amazing. It's really best set up on an Action Base.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

good thing i just bought 3 gp bases!

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
So my friend picked me up the 1/144 HG RX-0 Gundam Unicorn Banshee Destroy etc. and I had a complete blast putting it together. I was wondering if there were any cool kits people would recommend for a beginner?

Where is the best place to buy in the EU (UK specifically), or is it best to stick with the stores in the OP?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you're in the EU, you're basically out of luck as far as domestic vendors go. HLJ, amiami, and other importers are your best shot.

If you want to stick with the 1/144 scale, basically any HGUC should be fine. If you want to go bigger, go buy twenty MG Gundam X's and give them to all your friends.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You should get a Neo Zeong.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

X_ThePerfect posted:

So my friend picked me up the 1/144 HG RX-0 Gundam Unicorn Banshee Destroy etc. and I had a complete blast putting it together. I was wondering if there were any cool kits people would recommend for a beginner?

Where is the best place to buy in the EU (UK specifically), or is it best to stick with the stores in the OP?

The HG 00 Raiser is always pretty highly regarded.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

X_ThePerfect posted:

The series is crap, but the HG Gundam AGE-1 is pretty good.

EDIT: Seconding the Duel recommendation, fair warning, the skirts for the Assault Shroud are a hot pile of rear end.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 13, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

X_ThePerfect posted:

If you want to try an MG, the Duel is a very good build without any stupid complications. Presumably the other MGs that share the frame, like the Strike or Buster are similar.

And speaking as someone else in the UK, we're poo poo out of luck for getting gunpla here affordably.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a question for folks who have a better sense of color than I do: Should I keep the gold frame on this paint scheme, or should I go with a painted blue frame?

I have an old, hosed up green frame that I don't mind repainting, but I'm not totally unsold on this either. Similarly, some opinions on what to paint the grey frame bits would be appreciated too.

Edit: I can't copy paste. :downs:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you're going for gray, blue would look fine. You could also go with vanilla red to get sort of an evil look.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Assembled all of RG Char's Zaku in seven hours, only said "Motherfucking oval office whore" at the stupid springy bits like nineteen times in ten minutes (per springy bit). Eat poo poo, nerds.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TARDISman posted:

The series is crap, but the HG Gundam AGE-1 is pretty good.

EDIT: Seconding the Duel recommendation, fair warning, the skirts for the Assault Shroud are a hot pile of rear end.

The AGE-1? But that show su

holy poo poo. That's RG flexiblity right there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AGE is the epitome of "the show sucked, but the toys were amazing". MG AGE-1 in particular is one of the most impressive non-gimmicky MGs around, and I would recommend it to beginners if I didn't have such a massive nerd boner for Gundam X.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

The HG 00 Raiser is always pretty highly regarded.

I just finished a HG 00 Raiser + GN sword 3 last night, pretty great build. Alot of the seams are hidden and it comes with a free base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

X_ThePerfect posted:

Get yourself the Gunpla Starter Kit Vol.2. It's the G30th HG RX-78-02, along with some neat accessories like the mace and bazooka, and it recently had a new distribution run so it should be fairly easy to find. It's a nice easy build, and it comes out looking great.

My go-to beginner's recommendation is still the HGCE Strike Gundam or HGBF Build Gundam though. It's a nice basic kit, and it's compatible with drat-near any accessory kit you care to name. If you don't mind spending a bit of cash on RG-level-detail toy guns, have a look at the System Weapon line as well. You get two fairly large weapons in each kit, and each is customizable with a decent range of optional parts. With some kits like the first in the line (001), you can even swing a full third weapon out of it with the right parts combo.

Broken Loose posted:

The AGE-1? But that show su

holy poo poo. That's RG flexiblity right there.

I'm probably going to get myself an Age-1 Titus at some point, just because I like the big punchy arms and beam spikes :shepspends:.

And not partly so I can have the Burning Build Gundam posed fighting something when I get one.

edit:

GundamGuy's got a review of the G-Self up. Looks like you can remove the back piece to find a pair of the usual pair of slots in the back if you want to stick Booster pack on or something.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm probably going to get myself an Age-1 Titus at some point, just because I like the big punchy arms and beam spikes :shepspends:.

And not partly so I can have the Burning Build Gundam posed fighting something when I get one.

The Titus is great for all the kitbash opportunities that exist with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What's the other part of this one?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Just in case it wasn't clear, she isn't joking about this one:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
^^^ Hell, that isn't even the only scale you can do that with!

What's the other part of this one?

The Beginning J Gundam.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 14, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gentlemen, behold: My first attempt at actually posting Gunpla

Not pictured: RG RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku because they're actually incredibly finnicky and as much as I "enjoyed" building them gently caress posing those goddamn things.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Carstairs posted:

Just in case it wasn't clear, she isn't joking about this one:

is that figmas and HGs? I have plenty of both

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 14, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

SD's are so nice, finished this before the halfway point in good morning vietnam. Char's Z'gok looks wierd because I had Zaku Amazing next to it before I put him on an action base.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

You're gonna need a looooot of HG Titus kits for all those... :v:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Any tips on building Clear models? I have an RG clear Zeta gundam that a friend picked up for me at ComicCon. I don't know if clear models have odd steps like how you don't sandpaper titanium finishes and stuff like that.

(Man, and that was right after I bought a regular RG zeta gundam... Was thinking about selling it, but what I just built both and posed them side by side?)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

I want that goddamn genobreaker, it's the next thing on my list. The Genosaurer is a great kit too, but the chest bit where the cockpit goes is a little... ehh... flaky.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revitalized posted:

Any tips on building Clear models? I have an RG clear Zeta gundam that a friend picked up for me at ComicCon. I don't know if clear models have odd steps like how you don't sandpaper titanium finishes and stuff like that.

(Man, and that was right after I bought a regular RG zeta gundam... Was thinking about selling it, but what I just built both and posed them side by side?)

cut really close to the part and dont sand anything unless you are going to gloss coat everything after.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Revitalized posted:

I bet you could get a really neat result by mixing and matching parts between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
This just came in. Perfect way to start the week. :getin:

• Locked thread