Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Well, count me among those who thought Orson's name was actually "Awesome", and since it was Moffat, didn't even bat an eye at that.

I met someone recently who's first name was Marvellous, so it's not too huge a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For the people who thought his name was awesome, are you American or British? I'm American but I guess I've just been watching a lot of British TV over the years. I heard it as Orson.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm American and I heard "Awesome," too. I don't know when the Brits forgot how to speak, but that's just embarrassing.

Everybody spoke so nice in the old serials. :sigh:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Davros1 posted:

Well, count me among those who thought Orson's name was actually "Awesome", and since it was Moffat, didn't even bat an eye at that.

Yeah I heard that as well and didn't realize the mistake until they showed the news clip with his name caption.

I thought the episode had some parts that worked really well - the opener was great - but it didn't quite all come together for me.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I heard 'Awesome' but assumed Orson because it was less of a jarring tonal shift that way.

I can't decide if that episode was absolutely wonderful or a big Moffaty candy shell with nothing in the middle, and as I enjoyed it, I'm afraid to rewatch and find out. Schroedinger's Moffat.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

For the people who thought his name was awesome, are you American or British? I'm American but I guess I've just been watching a lot of British TV over the years. I heard it as Orson.

I'm American and clearly heard Orson, I thought that was very clear. I'm a little surprised how many people thought different.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm British and heard Awesome.

Awesome Pink. That's his name now. Even the younger one.

HOWEVER, I'd like to know how much god drat incest was in their family for someone HUNDREDS of years in the future to look identical to current timeline Pink?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ak Gara posted:

HOWEVER, I'd like to know how much god drat incest was in their family for someone HUNDREDS of years in the future to look identical to current timeline Pink?

That's actually been handwaved before in-series with Gwen's ancestors in Cardiff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

My sister looks just like my grandmother. Sometimes things happen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually been handwaved before in-series with Gwen's ancestors in Cardiff.

The Doctor called it "spatial genetic multiplicity".

And there were both of Jessica Hynes' characters, generations apart, too.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I heard "Orson" but I'm not surprised people heard "awesome" because subconsciously you were probably thinking "this is awesome, this is awesome", over and over again.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Amppelix posted:

Like, is there any actual reason for Clara to not just come out and say she's dating Pink? Of course there isn't, but Moffat wants to save it for The Finale to package it with a Shocking Revelation. I hope Pink just joins as a companion in like two episodes and we'll be done with this angle.

It's because the Doctor slammed the TARDIS door in soldier chick's face in ep2 (because rah rah soldiers bad no I don't want to talk about it ah turns out I'm a broken toy soldier myself, maybe some kind woman can help me come to terms with my trauma) right before DP asks Clara if she has a rule against dating soldiers and she goes *gulp*. That's the justification for this whole charade.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cojawfee posted:

My sister looks just like my grandmother. Sometimes things happen.

Yeah, I have a friend where all the women on her mom's side have the same basic facial structure, going back at least 100 years or so.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

I met someone recently who's first name was Marvellous, so it's not too huge a stretch.

kant
May 12, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Also, what's a cloister bell?

It's the warning to man the battle stations!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LividLiquid posted:

Also, what's a cloister bell?

The Cloister Bell is the alarm to end all alarms. When it sounds, it means catastrophe is imminent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cloister Bell is the alarm to end all alarms. When it sounds, it means catastrophe a plot point is imminent.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A cloister is where monks live and Christians are way into bells. Hence, cloisters often had bells, and there were called "cloister bells."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Beat me to it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

But you repeat yourself.

:haw:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Re: "Doctor's Childhood" scene, I personally feel that if you're going to have a story in which the Doctor is obsessing about this dream of someone grabbing your ankles, you end up kinda needing a scene like that to show where the obsession is coming from.

Why he's never mentioned it in the last 2,000 years is another question. Still, I liked this episode a lot.
I think it's because 12 is the first one who's had the personality to a) be curious about it and b) be honest enough about his feelings to tell his companion. I can't imagine any of the previous three doing this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's because 12 is the first one who's had the personality to a) be curious about it and b) be honest enough about his feelings to tell his companion. I can't imagine any of the previous three doing this.

The Doctor must be a young, 20/30 something heartthrob that I can fantasize about.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I loved it, and I haven't loved most of the episodes this season. I'm American and I also heard Awesome.

There might have been a monster, there may not have been, doesn't matter. I loved the trip to his childhood, Clara has had such an impact why not this too? And tying it in with the War Doctor was brilliant, explaining why he went there of all places.

I have nothing of significance to add, but wanted to chime in on the 'loved it'

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... is there anyone else who loves Capaldi in general, but is really tired of his constant putdowns of Clara?

I guess what bothers me is that they're not just generic insults... if he was just being oblivious and abrasive that'd be one thing. But when you have the exchange, "It's too late, you took your makeup off" "I'm still wearing makeup" "... Oh. Maybe you missed a spot" (or whatever he said, this is from memory), that's not just obliviousness, that's a bunch of expectations he's making her feel bad for not living up to.

I guess it's supposed to be absurd 'cause she's obviously attractive or something, but... for some reason that's not making it any better for me. Telling anyone that kind of stuff seems really lovely to me, and beneath the doctor. Even if the doctor's being a jerk. That's just... not a fun way to be a jerk.

I don't know, it might just be me. I thought the "you'll die in six months" joke from last episode was hilarious, even though, in retrospect, it was theoretically a lot more serious. I don't mind the doctor being abrasive, but constantly saying things to make Clara insecure is... not fun at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I am routinely triggered by Doctor Who.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Eiba posted:

So... is there anyone else who loves Capaldi in general, but is really tired of his constant putdowns of Clara?

I guess what bothers me is that they're not just generic insults... if he was just being oblivious and abrasive that'd be one thing. But when you have the exchange, "It's too late, you took your makeup off" "I'm still wearing makeup" "... Oh. Maybe you missed a spot" (or whatever he said, this is from memory), that's not just obliviousness, that's a bunch of expectations he's making her feel bad for not living up to.

I guess it's supposed to be absurd 'cause she's obviously attractive or something, but... for some reason that's not making it any better for me. Telling anyone that kind of stuff seems really lovely to me, and beneath the doctor. Even if the doctor's being a jerk. That's just... not a fun way to be a jerk.

I don't know, it might just be me. I thought the "you'll die in six months" joke from last episode was hilarious, even though, in retrospect, it was theoretically a lot more serious. I don't mind the doctor being abrasive, but constantly saying things to make Clara insecure is... not fun at all.

He's a crazy space alien that doesn't totally understand everything about humans. Sorry it made you feel ways about stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eiba posted:

It could be toned down a little but it's pretty absurd to be coming from an old man that wouldn't be true if it was coming from someone that's Smith's or Tennant's age.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Don't you loving start.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

I still haven't seen the latest episode, but yeah. I just wish they'd tone it down a little. I get the idea, he's trying to joke with his friend but he's alien and overdoes it to the point of discomfort, but it's really constant and timed poorly, because Clara is finally becoming likable and we're just being introduced to this Doctor.

Irish Joe posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Irish Joe.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I love the Clara jokes and hope they don't stop, as a matter of fact I want even more of them! Sorry it triggers you all.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Plavski posted:

Based on a previous recommendation, I picked up Deadline. This story is going to stay with me for a long, long time. That's some of the finest writing I think I've ever heard.

I only listened to this once some years ago, so it's a little fuzzy in my mind. But I can say for sure, anyone who thought Derek Jacobi was wasted in a one-off cameo in Utopia should get this, he's absolutely electric in this role.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

He's a crazy space alien that doesn't totally understand everything about humans.

I dunno, I think this is way too simplistic. He's been screwing around on Earth or with humans for how many hundreds of years now? He's spent at least one extended period here that I can think of (in Blink). And when he goes into non-human cultures, he shows that he can identify what their peculiar rules of interaction are.

I think it's far more that he knows what the rules are; he just thinks they don't necessarily apply to him, and usually doesn't bother trying. (For an earlier example I'm thinking something like Pertwee in The Silurians, who clearly knows how he's *supposed* to behave in order to play nicely, but his frustration at being exiled means he can't stop himself coming across as rude and patronising, and his ability to deal with the crisis suffers because of it.)

vvv Considering that the TARDIS just apparently went back to Gallifrey, which should be impossible if it's timelocked or whatever the handwave was in the 50th anniversay, I'd say GMS is very aware of that dangling plot thread vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trin Tragula posted:

(For an earlier example I'm thinking something like Pertwee in The Silurians, who clearly knows how he's *supposed* to behave in order to play nicely, but his frustration at being exiled means he can't stop himself coming across as rude and patronising, and his ability to deal with the crisis suffers because of it.)

This reminds me, are they actually going to do anything about the whole "Quest for Gallifrey" stuff alluded in the last two Smith episodes or is that just going to be quietly dropped?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

computer parts posted:

This reminds me, are they actually going to do anything about the whole "Quest for Gallifrey" stuff alluded in the last two Smith episodes or is that just going to be quietly dropped?

I imagine it'll be brought up once Capaldi has to go back and help all his previous incarnations save Gallifrey.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Anyone else think that there's a clause in Peter Capaldi's contract that says the writers have to let him reference something Jon Pertwee related in every episode?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

Also, if they ever get around to remaking Blake's 7, Samuel Anderson as Orson Pink could easily, at least physically, reshaped into Rog Blake.

Omg that's the funky Blake. *Imagines new Blake's 7 using Prodigy incidental music*.

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because she's still romantically interested in the Doctor and he is in her. She's being shady about the date to leave the door open for her and the Doctor. He makes remarks about her looks because he's teasing her for attention. The script makes this a lot more clear.

Really? How gauche. And clearly failed, because Capaldi was not playing to that interpretation at all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eiba posted:

Remember, this is the same person who when instructed by his robot dog to let his companion make inquiries of the locals because "she is more attractive", he response was a befuddled "She is?"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

e;f, wrong thread

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Remember, this is the same person who when instructed by his robot dog to let his companion make inquiries of the locals because "she is more attractive", he response was a befuddled "She is?"

Yeah, but Capaldi isn't selling it that way, or maybe it's the writing. This isn't an alien befuddled by the concepts of human beauty, it's the Doctor constantly putting her down, negging her in a way that makes her feel self-conscious and terrible about how she looks. Something that Clara clearly takes pride in normally.

Where in your example, there's a punchline, so far this series there's been no punchline, unless it's "The Doctor is a horrible person for making his travelling companion feel terrible about herself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it just comes across as being a dick for no reason, rather than Tom Baker style obliviousness.

• Locked thread