Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Ryoshi posted:

Annnnnd I finished it. The ending dragged the game down for me. It fit the rest of the game, I guess, but saying "hey whatever I tell you is going to seem like a cop-out" does not make the cop-out of not explaining ANYTHING about the Tragedy suck any less. And what the gently caress was up with that post-credits scene, anyway?

Does Danganronpa 2 touch on or explain any of this crap or is it just same poo poo, different setting?

Danganronpa 2 explains it by the end, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got Magrunner: Dark Pulse (Why do first installments have colons in their names? ) for free in a GOG sale and I gave up 45 minutes in for as it's really insipid. It turns out that a high-tech glove that push and pulls coloured boxes is a lot less sexy and rewarding than a gun that shoots portals. What killed the game for me early on was that between each level you're herded back in to the room you started in so a holographic NPC can blather inane exposition at you. Unskippable crap like this happening so frequently early on that the pacing is killed entirely.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Sep 13, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Magrunner: Dark Pulse (Why do first installments have colons in their names? ) for free in a GOG sale and I gave up 45 minutes in for as it's really insipid. It turns out that a high-tech glove that push and pulls coloured boxes is a lot less sexy and rewarding than a gun that shoots portals. What killed the game for me early on was that between each level you're herded back in to the room you started in so a holographic NPC can blather inane exposition at you. Unskippable crap like this happening so frequently early on that the pacing is killed entirely.

So it's Qube but with boring exposition shoved in?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pidmon posted:

So it's Qube but with boring exposition shoved in?

No Qube is far better. Magrunner has a lot of stupid gimmicks (like instant death enemies that turn some levels into complete twitch fests) that ruin it completely.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Destiny later. Bungie has no idea how to run a plot, it seems. Who're the Fallen? Are they the Darkness? What about the Hive, are they the Darkness too, or someone else? Why are they attacking us? Is it because of the Traveler? Has anything been done to study it? Contact them? Where did the Hive come from?

Nothing is explained. And it's not like, not-explained like Half-Life 2 where the clues are in the environment and such. Simply nothing is explained, except brief excerpts like how the Hive took the Moon. Game mechanics, too. How do I level up stuff? Why do sometimes multiple things level up? What levels up next? What are these factions and why is the only way to check my reputation with them by hunting down the merchant in town and talking to them?

Also, Grimoire points. No idea what they do. Every now and then, a notification will come up saying to check Bungie.net after I collect enough doodads, or kill enough enemies, which is a ridiculous thing to put in a game when you can just have the information, oh I don't know, in the game itself.

Destiny has good shooty bits, but everything else in the game drags it down.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Incomprehensible nonsense is kind of Bungie's modus operandi. Ever since Marathon they've had lots of backstory and tertiary exposition that makes no loving sense.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Came to post about Destiny.

The Grimoire things are on the bungie website, you log into their site with your PSN/XBL details, and it has your destiny account all there. There actually is a lot of decent backstory, some mystery and generally all of the lore, plot and details are given to you through the Grimoires - which are only able to be read through their website or using their phone/tablet app after you unlock them in the game.

From what I've seen, Destiny does indeed have a rich bckstory and the makings of a decent plot and characters, it just makes zero loving sense to put all that poo poo outside the game where you have to look it up yourself. When I was playing Mass Effect, for example, someone mentoned an extinct race of aliens in passing, I got a message that something new was in my codex, and I could just go to the menu and read it immediately (or later) if I so chose. Boom, my view of the universe has expanded, I now know more about the world, and I will from now on understand future references.

Destiny basically makes you get up and check their personal wikipedia to figure out what the gently caress is going on whenever something happens, and without a menu just there to remind me, I've always forgotten I have a new Grimoire to read once I've finished shooting critters.

The game, I've found, is fantastic. Good looks, good gunplay, good fun all round. The lore is rich and detailed. But making it so that everytime something interesting happens be told to you via text dump outside the game is irritating as hell. You just killed Guragugh the Terrible Eye Orb! Grimoire unlocked! Go to Bungie.net to find out who they were, why they exist, how they're doing the stuff they are doing, why you needed to kill them, the social structure of their race and how what you just did effects anything else!

Also, Destiny gives you zero information about game mechanics. It does not explain how leveling works after level 20. It does not explain that you need to increase your reputation rank with vendors in order to buy their gear, let alone how to do that. It does not explain that some weapons and armour are upgradable - or how that works. There are elemental damages on some weapons... How they work in the game is never explained. There are like 5 different currencies, each accepted by different vendors. You can trade upgrade parts in bulk for some - but not all - special currencies. This is not explained. There is even a vendor with unique items that only appears for a limited time each week - his existence I discovered from the Destiny Games thread since the game sure as poo poo didn't tell me anything about it.

Finally, the loot drops are a pain. In PVP, it's random, so you could play awesomely, and get nothing, or play absolute poo poo and get a legendary item. That's fine. But in PVP and PVE, there are drop of blueprints that you pick up that are rare, legendary or whatever, and more often than not you'll pick up a rare blueprint, which when turned in becomes a common item. Picking up a legendary blueprint is exciting, until you turn it in for an uncommon pare of boots. Sometimes you'll pick up some rare levelled to your character weapon, that is worse in every way to the common weapon you've been using for the last 3 levels.

Aside from that, I think the game is an absolute blast to play, and I do recommend it if you like co-op shooters. It's a great game, just holy poo poo do those gripes drag it down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bit of a follow up to that point the way you level up after 20 is by equipping items with the stat "points of light" which means that stacking that is infinitely more important than stacking more of the other three stats which items can grant. So ultimately instead of being able to specialize your equipment has to provide the maximum "makes your level higher stat" making the end game without real variation from how you played all the other levels when items seldom gave you bonuses to those other 3 stats.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I bought Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on Steam. This turned out to be an even worse game than I had been led to believe. I can't finish the prologue even because the game crashes every time I try to go down this ladder into the basement. There's an unofficial patch that fixes a different gamebreaking crash, but it does not fix this one apparently (though I wouldn't know, since when I tried to open the patch .rar I got an error).

edit: apparently the key to getting around this is to change the anti-aliasing settings

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Sep 14, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's almost a Gamebryo level of failure right there.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

LoonShia posted:

That's almost a Gamebryo level of failure right there.

Well it was published by Bethesda...

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The story of the CoC game is actually really fascinating and complicated, and its PC port even more so. Have a huge image explaining it all, it's really worth the read.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Heavy Lobster posted:

The story of the CoC game is actually really fascinating and complicated, and its PC port even more so. Have a huge image explaining it all, it's really worth the read.

That is pretty fascinating. It's a shame the game is pretty much nigh unplayable.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I also have a gripe with Destiny, but the issue is in other MMO's as well. Namely, bare minimum character creation. I'm one of those guys that can happily spend two hours just making a character if the game offers a robust enough creation system. And I've played plenty of MMO's with Elder Scrolls levels of detail tweaking in character creation. So I know it's well within the limits of modern hardware.

So, I'm pretty bummed when I get a game that offers a character creation system and it turns out to be basically an afterthought with nothing more than a handful of prebuilt faces and hairs and maybe some atrocious looking facepaint if you're lucky. Thus, it's an exercise in futility to try and make a unique character. I spent a good hour making the most unique Destiny hunter I could given the limitations, and thought I had done a good job, only to run into a near exact clone of me as soon as I get to the Tower.

Destiny is a pretty great shooter though. I just wish I hadn't dropped $60 for so little content. But that's the state of modern gaming today, so what can you do other than not play games at all.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Esroc posted:

I also have a gripe with Destiny, but the issue is in other MMO's as well. Namely, bare minimum character creation. I'm one of those guys that can happily spend two hours just making a character if the game offers a robust enough creation system. And I've played plenty of MMO's with Elder Scrolls levels of detail tweaking in character creation. So I know it's well within the limits of modern hardware.

City of Heroes had its problems, but by god did it get this right.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Thinky Whale posted:

City of Heroes had its problems, but by god did it get this right.

Related, DC Universe. It's the only MMO that I know of with the kind of armor system it has. Upgrade loot drops are just stats, and the armor pieces are a separate item entirely (called "styles", I believe). So you equip the stats you want, then whatever armor piece you like on top of it, which opens up a ton of customization because you can wear whatever armor you bloody well feel like.

For all the games faults, DCU's armor system is revolutionary and every MMO in the history of ever needs to adopt it.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Sep 14, 2014

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I bought Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on Steam. This turned out to be an even worse game than I had been led to believe. I can't finish the prologue even because the game crashes every time I try to go down this ladder into the basement. There's an unofficial patch that fixes a different gamebreaking crash, but it does not fix this one apparently (though I wouldn't know, since when I tried to open the patch .rar I got an error).

edit: apparently the key to getting around this is to change the anti-aliasing settings

God I love this game. The other fantastic glitch was that the game was entirely unable to be saved, even auto saves, if you PC clock wasn't set to 24 hour time.
My clock is still set on 24 hour time because of playing this a few years ago, it's a constant reminder of running around with hopped up on morphine with two broken legs (in dark corners)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Well it was published by Bethesda...

Reminds me of Dishonored (another Bethesda-as-publisher game), which completely bugged out and would not let me progress to the next chapter for some reason. As far as I can tell it was because I explored an optional area that's accessible in one chapter but I guess you're not "supposed" to go in until the next and somehow this made the next chapter completely impossible to load.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Sep 14, 2014

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I think 95% of all my deaths in Wolfenstein: The New Order are from those asinine running jumps at the start and end of the Gibraltar Bridge sequence. YES, BeeJay, I KNOW it's a stupid way to die. Stop reminding me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I think 95% of all my deaths in Wolfenstein: The New Order are from those asinine running jumps at the start and end of the Gibraltar Bridge sequence. YES, BeeJay, I KNOW it's a stupid way to die. Stop reminding me.

Make sure you're wielding only a knife or single pistol. The heavy weapons affect your running speed and jump distance.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Oh, I figured that one out well enough. Thing is, Wolfenstein really isn't a platformer, and when it tries to ape one for those dramatic jumps, more often than not it just reminds you that Blaskowicz is about as aerodynamic as a lead brick on Jupiter.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Esroc posted:

So, I'm pretty bummed when I get a game that offers a character creation system and it turns out to be basically an afterthought with nothing more than a handful of prebuilt faces and hairs and maybe some atrocious looking facepaint if you're lucky. Thus, it's an exercise in futility to try and make a unique character. I spent a good hour making the most unique Destiny hunter I could given the limitations, and thought I had done a good job, only to run into a near exact clone of me as soon as I get to the Tower.

Destiny is a pretty great shooter though. I just wish I hadn't dropped $60 for so little content. But that's the state of modern gaming today, so what can you do other than not play games at all.

Admittedly, character creation may as well be an afterthought in a game where you spend 90% of your time in a full helmet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bungie seems like it's trying to build a community around Destiny, but rather than doing that by making it easy for you to build a community in game it forces you to build a community by leaving out basic features, like matchmaking for certain modes (not just raids!)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pancho Jueves posted:

Admittedly, character creation may as well be an afterthought in a game where you spend 90% of your time in a full helmet.

In FF14 if you're either of the 2 tank classes and its your first class this is pretty much an issue. You spend maybe half of your time being fully encased in armor, you either have the choice of wearing armor that isn't optimized for tanking or wearing older armor until you hit the next step in gear progression if you want to show everyone your pretty face. And since its your first class you can't use the glamor system to change how the armor looks since that unlocks at level 50.

Another thing in ff14: You can't use the glamor system till you hit level 50.

Another thing: When you hit level 30 as an arcanist you become either a scholar or a summoner. Scholar immediately loses the carbuncle, summoners eventually phase out the carbuncles for "egis" which are like mini versions of the 3 primals. Carbuncles look cooler then the egis and the faeries :saddowns:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Leal posted:

In FF14 if you're either of the 2 tank classes and its your first class this is pretty much an issue. You spend maybe half of your time being fully encased in armor, you either have the choice of wearing armor that isn't optimized for tanking or wearing older armor until you hit the next step in gear progression if you want to show everyone your pretty face. And since its your first class you can't use the glamor system to change how the armor looks since that unlocks at level 50.

You can freely toggle displaying your helmet in FF14.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Bunige has had a habit of rich, interesting backstory. It was all over the place in Marathon, and there's a massive website dedicated to it's story and dissection thereof, since the majority of it is told through terminals, and frequently those aren't exactly straightforward.

Then they had the same sorta ideas for Halo and etc, except they never really put terminals or the like in the game until Halo 3, which was okay-ish, but it mostly just filled extra backstory from a bazillion years ago when the Forerunners were running around, and didn't deal much with, like, current events or anything. ODST did a better job, hiding backstory details, and really just a secondary plot line to be found. But Halos more interesting bits of story were kept solely out of the games, more or less.

They never really turned out another really cool, batshit crazy, read-between the lines of hidden terminals loaded with esoteric metaphors like marathon did though. which is a bit of a shame.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

You can freely toggle displaying your helmet in FF14.

There is some armor that covers both the body and head and the toggle doesn't effect those.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Not a game complaint but a system one - I grabbed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom used today and hooked up my Wii to test it out, and it was such a pain to just get into the game. The game itself takes Gamecube controllers for input, but of course the Wii doesn't auto-start a game when you put the disc in for whatever reason. I had to dig up a Wii controller, find batteries to put in it, and then I realized that the sensor bar had fallen somewhere behind my titanic entertainment system with very little hope of recovery so I had to do further digging to find a Classic controller and select and start the game that way.

As soon as the game started it was like "Wii controllers won't be used if a GC controller is in Slot 1." Great, that's what I wanted. But the fact that the Wii itself made it such a pain to even start the game is ridiculous. The PS3 auto-starts games when you put the disc in if you're not in another application, I'd assume the 360 does the same thing - if I'm at the home screen and I put a game disc in it's because I want to play that game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpookyLizard posted:

Then they had the same sorta ideas for Halo and etc, except they never really put terminals or the like in the game until Halo 3, which was okay-ish, but it mostly just filled extra backstory from a bazillion years ago when the Forerunners were running around, and didn't deal much with, like, current events or anything.

The silly thing in Halo 3 was one set of terminal descriptions explained why the doors kept opening to where Master Chief needed to go. The answer is a rogue AI that sided with the Flood last time everything went down felt bad about it and decided to help the Chief out to make up for it. :v:

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
The little level up bonus stat spin thing from the Mario & Luigi games must be legit torture for motherfuckers with OCD.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ryoshi posted:

The game itself takes Gamecube controllers for input, but of course the Wii doesn't auto-start a game when you put the disc in for whatever reason.
I think that's configurable. Or at least I seem to recall my Wii autostarting games.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Whatev posted:

The little level up bonus stat spin thing from the Mario & Luigi games must be legit torture for motherfuckers with OCD.

When I was playing it years ago - it kind of did whenever I got a +1 or whatever, but you can always raise your stats by farming coffee.
Also, the chances of getting +1's and other low numbers increases if you keep picking a certain stat when you level up, its actually a decent way of preventing players from only leveling up the same stat over and over.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

FredMSloniker posted:

I think that's configurable. Or at least I seem to recall my Wii autostarting games.

I know it's configurable on the 360, because I turned autostart off on mine.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

scarycave posted:

When I was playing it years ago - it kind of did whenever I got a +1 or whatever, but you can always raise your stats by farming coffee.
Also, the chances of getting +1's and other low numbers increases if you keep picking a certain stat when you level up, its actually a decent way of preventing players from only leveling up the same stat over and over.
Yeah yeah, it's not a big deal if you aren't a loving dingus, but there are a decent number of cats out there who go bananas with the min/max poo poo.

I also should not have introduced myself to the series with Bowser's Inside Story. It owns so hard that it drags the other games down by comparison.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The silly thing in Halo 3 was one set of terminal descriptions explained why the doors kept opening to where Master Chief needed to go. The answer is a rogue AI that sided with the Flood last time everything went down felt bad about it and decided to help the Chief out to make up for it. :v:

It's actually a nice touch. There's a couple of neat messages hidden in the terminals and stuff from him, that you won't really notice unless you go into the film viewer and watch a replay and pause it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whatev posted:

I also should not have introduced myself to the series with Bowser's Inside Story. It owns so hard that it drags the other games down by comparison.

I actually enjoyed the first one the most and wish it hadn't felt like it ended way too soon. Bros. attacks were way cooler than buying items for attacks with B. Mario & Luigi.

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games so I can move on and not suffer through fifteen minutes of 'And this is how you juuuump! Go on, try jumping on that box. YAYYYYYYYYY you did it! Now try again with two boxes!" and just moving through and letting play the game at my own pace.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games
Katamari games had the King of All Cosmos get upset if you started playing before he was done explaining the objective of the level.

Content:
The level design in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is starting to become stale. There are only so many ways to make a section where you have to switch characters after each jump.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RareAcumen posted:

I actually enjoyed the first one the most and wish it hadn't felt like it ended way too soon. Bros. attacks were way cooler than buying items for attacks with B. Mario & Luigi.

I'm still waiting for the day that Nintendo lets you either fast-forward or skip through the openings of their games so I can move on and not suffer through fifteen minutes of 'And this is how you juuuump! Go on, try jumping on that box. YAYYYYYYYYY you did it! Now try again with two boxes!" and just moving through and letting play the game at my own pace.

I think the first one was the best too. One of the best things about it is that your not in the mushroom kingdom for once.
One thing that I wasn't too big on though is that it got kind of cluttered with all the field moves and stuff.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns - yes, Hope, I know escaping makes an hour pass, thanks for reminding me again and again, I couldn't glance it from the clock and my memory is heavily impaired.

Also I understand that it's a part of time management system, but not being able to stock up on Potions and only being able to buy them as the inventory slots become free is a hassle. Just have adding the potions from the stock use up time or EP or something, there aren't even stores everywhere.

And while I'm at it, it took me a fair amount of time to realize that the combat is actually turn based and is a version of a traditional ATB combat, not real time - which might be obvious in retrospect, but I treated it more like the latter and were constantly annoyed at its limitations.

Also a little thing: I know very little of corporate and trademark law, but was it really necessary to write the title with TM and © signs? It looks exceptionally silly.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Another one from Dark Corners of the Earth, there's a savepoint that crashes the game whenever I try to use it. :toot: