Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ragingsheep posted:

Does the 360 light up like a flashlight in the dark?
It stays lit while on the charger, yes. Black background, time, and a blue ring showing battery percentage. Should be simple to find an image. Its not super bright, a nice bedside clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ilkhan posted:

It stays lit while on the charger, yes. Black background, time, and a blue ring showing battery percentage. Should be simple to find an image. Its not super bright, a nice bedside clock.

Is there a way to turn it off? My wife turns into one of those creatures from the deep sea at night and hates any light in the bedroom.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn it off? My wife turns into one of those creatures from the deep sea at night and hates any light in the bedroom.

You can just flip it over

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can just flip it over

While it's charging? I don't think it can charge through the screen, unless I'm underestimating the range of Qi.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Cover it with a towel

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

Charge it in a different room?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hooah posted:

While it's charging? I don't think it can charge through the screen, unless I'm underestimating the range of Qi.

Doesn't the charging dock have magnets to keep it attached to the back?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't the charging dock have magnets to keep it attached to the back?

Oh, so you're suggesting upending the whole shebang, not just the watch. That might work, I dunno. Although the dock looks more like a cradle, so it might not use magnets. Someone who actually has one would have to speak to the existence or not of magnets.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
No magnets. A towel would be the easiest way. I don't know if there is an option to turn the screen off completely, I don't see one but I could be wrong. Can't charge through the face, it won't stay in the stand/cradle that way (band is heavy enough to tip it over). and its not catching power from my qi pad when on its face. Its really not very bright on the stand.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Put it next to your bathroom sink then.

Or get an android developer to deign a custom face to turn the screen off when charging.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
...or just turn the cradle away from the bed? It's not very bright.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Don Lapre posted:

The official bb launch isn't until the 14th

Is there anywhere confirming this? I was going to make a trip around BB anyways this weekend so I might push that up to early in the morning and see if I stupidly impulse buy a Moto 360 instead of waiting for the LG G R which is currently my plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Is there anywhere confirming this? I was going to make a trip around BB anyways this weekend so I might push that up to early in the morning and see if I stupidly impulse buy a Moto 360 instead of waiting for the LG G R which is currently my plan.

BBY's corp press release site is flaking out right now but from the google cache, this blogpost confirms 9/14.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Woo wooooo

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

eyebeem posted:

Woo wooooo

Sweet dude keep us posted

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Sweet dude keep us posted

Battery died, I plugged it in two hours ago. Now it won't even turn on, though the charge light on the charger is on. I've been trying to turn it on for 10 minutes

Anyone with a 360 have any ideas?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eyebeem posted:

Battery died, I plugged it in two hours ago. Now it won't even turn on, though the charge light on the charger is on. I've been trying to turn it on for 10 minutes

Anyone with a 360 have any ideas?

I got it working. drat thing was chewing through the battery faster than it was charging because it was trying to connect to my phone.

Early adopter!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's kind of hilarious.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ijyt posted:

That's kind of hilarious.

Yeah, my Apple whore of a girlfriend is beaming.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Another review:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/12/moto-360-review/

It again highlights the spotty battery life, I kind of thinking that there might be something else going on with the battery.

Also, maybe this is crazy but I played with the G watch a little bit at the AT&T store on Friday and honestly, I don't hate the looks of it, it certainly doesn't look any worse then my Pebble which I am pretty happy with. With the price slash I am honestly considering just picking it up. With first gen hardware and software all around and lovely compromises everywhere I'm kind of feeling like solid all day battery life is kind of king and since I'm making all sorts of lovely compromises I might as well get something cheap.

Someone talk me out of it please.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The battery life on the G Watch is pretty good with respect to the "all day" claims. I usually take it off the charger at 7 am and go to bed at 11 or so with 30% left.

If you forget to charge at night, it is still alive in the morning. You can get 16 hours charge put back on it in the amount of time it takes to shower and get dressed.

The band looks cheap and rubbery so get something different there. It's a standard 24 mm band. A different band goes a long way toward making the whole thing look better.

$229 is too much for it, but $179 isn't a raw deal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

I got it working. drat thing was chewing through the battery faster than it was charging because it was trying to connect to my phone.

Early adopter!

On the initial turn on its looking for the phone for a firmware update or something. Once it connects and updates it will settle down.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Yeah for those getting Moto 360's, when you unbox it, just stick it on the charger for a couple of hours. Then take it off, pair your phone, and let it do the firmware update.

A friend of mine paired his phone right away, and the download/firmware flash was decimating his battery while it was charging.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

The battery life on the G Watch is pretty good with respect to the "all day" claims. I usually take it off the charger at 7 am and go to bed at 11 or so with 30% left.

If you forget to charge at night, it is still alive in the morning. You can get 16 hours charge put back on it in the amount of time it takes to shower and get dressed.

The band looks cheap and rubbery so get something different there. It's a standard 24 mm band. A different band goes a long way toward making the whole thing look better.

$229 is too much for it, but $179 isn't a raw deal.

I bought mine on a whim while I was at Best Buy. I was thinking about getting the Moto 360, as it does look amazing, but was a bit big on my wrist. I saw the price cut on the G Watch was at $179 and thought I would give that a shot instead.

Overall I basically agree with you. The battery life seems okay. I can get about a day and a half to two with it, but it's enough that I don't have to worry about it going dead mid-day. It's also a plus over the 360, which seems to last a day if you baby it.

I have a Pebble, and it basically looks like a nicer, similar sized version of that. That's not saying much, but at least it's not horrific. It has a good fit and feel, and the in-box strap is not as bad as the Pebble. If nothing else, it's a good gateway into Android Wear until the 360 gets a SoC/Battery upgrade or the newer LG watch comes out.

As for Android Wear, I like it. The ambient screen lock works well, the default watchfaces are okay (Although I can't wait for true custom ones) and it displays all my notifications as I would expect. Changing songs via the watch is a bit too cumbersome compared to the Pebble though. And Google Now voice activation only seems to work half the time for me.

But the biggest benefit of Android Wear so far is the fact that I can finally have a smartwatch that supports Japanese (and other languages). The Pebble does not, so a good portion of my SMS, notifications, and songs would appear as boxes on screen. There were hacks around it for notifications (by displaying it as an image) but that's just a hack. This actually works. So that alone makes it much much more useful than the Pebble.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Just called the Best Buy I normally go to and the guy was saying that they've been taking preorders in store for the Moto 360 and that they weren't even going to have any to sell tomorrow. :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I took a long bike ride to somewhere and did both strava and navigation off my wrist. This is the future.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

w00tazn posted:

Just called the Best Buy I normally go to and the guy was saying that they've been taking preorders in store for the Moto 360 and that they weren't even going to have any to sell tomorrow. :(

Just placed a preorder myself, although they admitted they had no idea when they were receiving them, or how many they would get. Better than nothing, I suppose.

edit: They had the 360 display set up. I had reservations about the size, but once it was on my wrist, it looked no bigger than any other men's fashion watch. I do have big wrists though --I had to fasten the strap on the second-to-last hole. It's definitely thicker than I was expecting - I think it's a full centimeter thick. I'd be worried about bumping/catching it on stuff. The leather straps are comfortable and well-built, if a little plain looking. I think a metal strap would suit the 360 well, and help disguise the thickness of the watch.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 14, 2014

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone today had any luck just walking into their local Best Buy and leaving with a Moto 360 since it's now the official release date?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

JayKay posted:

Has anyone today had any luck just walking into their local Best Buy and leaving with a Moto 360 since it's now the official release date?

What does your heart tell you?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

api call girl posted:

What does your heart tell you?

One can hope :allears:

But I'm not holding my breath

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

JayKay posted:

I went in, they're not stocking them and even if they get shipments on Tuesday/Thursday those shipments are going straight to fulfill preorders that were taken in store. :(
They did have the watch on display however, and it's just about the right size for my wrist. It's a little bit on the thick side though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Now you can make your Apple fanboy friends jealous by making your Google smartwatch look like a fancy Apple Watch! Too bad none of the buttons actually do anything, and the app itself seems a bit wonky. Some of the other faces on that app are decent, but I haven't found anything I like more than the built-in "Wallpaper" option with the big blocky digital clock and the 5 or so default wallpapers it cycles thorugh. Still, though, it's good to see movement on the custom watch face front.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 14, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Got this email from Motorola this morning:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Christ then I guess I just got super lucky this morning. I've been watching Best Buy's page for the Moto 360 watches, and while at work, checked at 7:45AM, and said Sold Out. Checked again at 8:30, purchased a black one. 20 minutes later, said sold out again. Just got my shipping notification too.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I play Ingress. I make no excuses for my watch face choice.

It's nice, the battery is solid enough if you aren't stuck in New Toy Mode - I've been using autobrightness and have been going off-charge since 9 AM. 55% battery, and my various Hangouts have been extra-talky today.

My next wearable is most likely going to be a Hint, because it's essentially all I want in a headset.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Argyle posted:

Got this email from Motorola this morning:

That lovely typography makes it look like an internet prank someone knocked out in 5 minutes. Hell so does the writing - "it's meant to work with a phone"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

baka kaba posted:

That lovely typography makes it look like an internet prank someone knocked out in 5 minutes. Hell so does the writing - "it's meant to work with a phone"

In the Apple press conference thread we had people thinking Android Wear devices work with iPhones.

(Obviously they didn't know "Android Wear" is the actual name, they're not that dumb.)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

baka kaba posted:

This is obvious to those of us who have been following the development of wearables over the years, but your average consumer has little to no idea how they work or what they actually do. After the Apple press conference, I had to clear up the following things to a coworker:

- No, your watch does not need its own data plan.
- No, you don't plug headphones into it.
- No, it doesn't let you run full iPhone/Android apps on your wrist.
- No, it does not replace your phone.
- Yes, you need it continuously paired with your phone to do anything useful.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

It was a little touch-and-go back in 2012 when Apple replaced Google Maps with Apple Maps, and you couldn't get Google Maps in the app store for a good long while.