Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Argyle posted:

- Yes, you need it continuously paired with your phone to do anything useful.

This is what's kind of cool with some of the Android Wear stuff in the pipeline; a future release of the Wear OS is scheduled to support onboard GPS and untethered music. The new Sony watch I think is the first one with any onboard GPS hardware. The use case they're targeting is you could load up the watch with music, pair it to headphones, go out for a run without your phone, and still be able to get GPS-driven stats on your run.

Three Olives posted:

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

Eh, it requires a lot of background services to kick notifications and such to the watch, and there's no layer on iOS that apps could talk to for routing things to the watch. And Pebble has shown that it's harder to get rich notifications from iOS than it is Android.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've been utilizing the LG G Watch for a few days now. A couple of thoughts:

- Battery life really isn't that bad. I use the watch how I imagine it was intended - as a watch, and as a way to quickly get notifications or look up info. It seems that under that use case the Moto 360 even is good for a day of use, which is all it really needs to have. Even my Pebble I charged every night.

- Android Wear is surprisingly more useful than I thought. I hadn't used voice commands much at all, but dictating text messages, looking up directions, and other voice searches worked pretty fantastic. Unfortunately, you still look like a moron doing it, limiting its use to in a car (in which case I'd rather drop the money on a good car integration solution instead). The notifications it provides are useful and typically relevant, and media playback controls work well with the stock interface, and as more apps get Wear components that will only improve. The step counter is totally borked, and almost useless.

- They need to be smaller to get any traction. I have large wrists, and my standard watch is a fairly large mechanical diver's watch. I have no problem with large watches. But the Moto 360, after messing around with it at a Best Buy, is still too big for my tastes in both diameter and thickness. After using the G Watch, I'd happily take a smaller watch if they could keep the screen resolution the same - text is pretty easy to read, and it could handle been a bit smaller. I might even be ok with a lower resolution screen as well, depending on how it looked.

- Aside for being big and block, the G Watch itself...really isn't that bad. It looks like a demo device for Android Wear, but it is fairly inconspicuous, and with a bit nicer band doesn't really look that bad. The charging dock works fine, and the hardware is perfectly capable, though the vibration is a bit weak.

If they can put out a ~42mm Moto 360-styled watch, I think I'll be happy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Eh, it requires a lot of background services to kick notifications and such to the watch, and there's no layer on iOS that apps could talk to for routing things to the watch. And Pebble has shown that it's harder to get rich notifications from iOS than it is Android.

Also unlike apps for Google services, allowing Android Wear on an iPhone has no benefit for Google except the sliver of the sale price they get.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh I wasn't talking about the explanation that it's meant to be paired with a phone - plus it makes sense to get an ad in for the Moto X too. I meant the actual ad copy reads like amateur hour. It's meant to be a marketing release for a major new product line, you'd expect phrases like 'designed to be paired with an Android phone like the upcoming Moto X', and not 'you're meant to use a phone with it, you can like pre-order one while you're at it' in a crappy font

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Argyle posted:

It was a little touch-and-go back in 2012 when Apple replaced Google Maps with Apple Maps, and you couldn't get Google Maps in the app store for a good long while.

That was all development time and trust me Google was trying to get iOS maps done as fast as possible.

in any case

quote:

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

I have no idea if anyone's looked into Wear for iOS specifically but phone calls/SMS-es are basically off limits for apps on iOS, so they'd be out, and there'd be no way to hook into app notifications without cooperation from the notifying app (and it would be a bit of a hack that for all we know might even get declared off-limits by Apple).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

dazjw posted:

I have no idea if anyone's looked into Wear for iOS specifically but phone calls/SMS-es are basically off limits for apps on iOS, so they'd be out, and there'd be no way to hook into app notifications without cooperation from the notifying app (and it would be a bit of a hack that for all we know might even get declared off-limits by Apple).

Apple notifications over bluetooth are solid and has a published frasmework, basically any notification can be pushed to a bluetooth device including SMS and telephone.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I guess I'm a weirdo for not getting invested in "ecosystems 4 lyfe", but lack of any interoperability is second only to battery complaints as to why I'm going to be sticking with my Up24 for the foreseeable future.

I'm fully Apple right now and I'm super excited for Continuity and other iOS8/Yosemite value-adds. But if I switched to an Android phone or got a Surface Pro 4 or some poo poo in a few months, my remaining Apple products would still do everything I expect them to do - just not as seamlessly. I'd be cool with a smartwatch that was a little kludgy when used with the "other guy's" platform, but the current situation is a hilarious deal-breaker given that the whole concept of a smartwatch already has a hard time justifying its existence in a world where most people don't wear watches and activity bands with 2+ weeks of battery life are hitting sub-$100 price points.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Anybody here donate to that Kreyos guy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

Apple notifications over bluetooth are solid and has a published frasmework, basically any notification can be pushed to a bluetooth device including SMS and telephone.

What about return communication though? That's the main sticking point from what I understand.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

You can't do the rich notifications that actually make Android Wear worth using though. Or the data sync layer that allows apps to interact with the watch and vice versa.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone know what the return policy is for a 360 purchased directly from Motorola's website?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone know what the return policy is for a 360 purchased directly from Motorola's website?

I think its returnable if you purchased it less than 30 days ago using the Following Web Tool on their site.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Super Dude posted:

From their website, it looks like they have a 30-day window for returns.

EDIT: Yeah, I checked the same thing Mustache Ride did.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mustache Ride posted:

I think its returnable if you purchased it less than 30 days ago using the Following Web Tool on their site.

The site says "Remember that a return for credit can only be honored 30-days from the purchase date and only for Moto 360 units purchased at motorola.com." Does return for credit mean a refund, or store credit to be used on motorola.com?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Super Dude posted:

The site says "Remember that a return for credit can only be honored 30-days from the purchase date and only for Moto 360 units purchased at motorola.com." Does return for credit mean a refund, or store credit to be used on motorola.com?

No idea, but the wording makes it sound like Motorola.com credit. I'd call them and find out.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mustache Ride posted:

No idea, but the wording makes it sound like Motorola.com credit. I'd call them and find out.

I'll let you guys know if I ever manage to talk to a human. I've been on hold on the phone and online chat for about 45 minutes now...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done a (vaguely) scientific battery comparison of the 360 against the G Watch / Gear Live. Have read reports of it being everywhere from fine to unusably terrible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

Has anyone done a (vaguely) scientific battery comparison of the 360 against the G Watch / Gear Live. Have read reports of it being everywhere from fine to unusably terrible.

Hahaha.

This is the tech community, why would anyone do what you're asking when rumor and innuendo are so fun?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Just spent my first work day with the 360. I put it on at 5:30am, wore it to the office, showed it off to coworkers, sent some texts, played with the remote viewfinder app, and just left for home at 5:00pm. I'm at 52% battery.

It's fine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tech Jesus hath spoken, seems very fair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DOUSGGw10

Also pretty much confirmed that it isn't for me.

On a side note, why do all tech reviewers have such dainty wrists? I didn't realize how much smaller it was than the Gear Live, which fit me perfectly.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

On a side note, why do all tech reviewers have such dainty wrists? I didn't realize how much smaller it was than the Gear Live, which fit me perfectly.

Yeah seriously, I tried a 360 on in Best Buy and it looked totally fine on my wrist. Which made me wonder how MKBHD can have hands the size of dinner plates and wrists the size of a single Twix bar.

edit: For reference, I have wrists the size of a coffee can and hands the size of a coaster.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

Closest thing would be Ars' stress test which pegs it at about half the G Watch which generally meshes well with the anecdotes so far. There was variance in the G Watch reviews too with some saying 1 day and others 2 days.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Anybody here donate to that Kreyos guy?

A friend of mine did, though I think she may have been able to get a refund before they cut those off. Sounds like the Kreyos guy(s) really got taken for a ride.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Managed to get an order in for the silver Moto 360 just now. Looking forward to trying this thing out!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Got my order in for a black one, estimated shipping Sept 24.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My Launch Day order for a black one arrived 4 days early.

It really made a huge hit with the guys in my job interview today :yotj:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

w00tazn posted:

Got my order in for a black one, estimated shipping Sept 24.

Me too for silver!

It told me there was a problem processing my card like 4 times in a row. It wouldn't even process my Motorola credit when I tried that. But it went through eventually.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 16, 2014

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is there a way I can get my Moto 360 to launch like Soundcloud or even google music?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fyallm posted:

Is there a way I can get my Moto 360 to launch like Soundcloud or even google music?
"ok google open [x]" I think.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

fyallm posted:

You can also have it open specific songs/albums/artists in google music by saying "Ok google play <artist name>"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

7 am to 5 pm, from charged to 70 percent. Screen always on. LG G Watch. :cool: (just trying to make my self less jealous of the new stylish devices)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Thanks guys that worked!

Also just an fyi I have an SA Mart for sale thread on an LG G Watch if anyone is interested in getting one on the cheap: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665338

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a Samsung Fit? I kind of like how it looks, but I'm not currently using a Samsung phone. There's a workaround but I'm unclear of the limitations of doing that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

The watch faces are still circles. If you use a digital clock watchface you are the worst.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Sedans are completely inferior to wagons in every way, but most people buy them due to aesthetics and have done so for 70 years.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

Watches are pieces of jewelry (even smart watches). Some people like them round, some rectangular. I think both will be made as long as watches remain popular, regardless of the screen being cut off. I can't stand rectangular watches, so I won't be buying any smart watches that aren't round.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah other than a Power Rangers watch in the shape of Red Ranger's head that I had when I was like 5, I've been wearing circular watches my whole life. I guess it's a little dumb but I just couldn't see myself buying ever a rectangular one. It must be tricky to design smartwatches considering that they could immediately turn off a some people from the shape alone, no matter how many cool features it's got

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
A square watch isn't as comfortable or convenient because it the square edge hits the bone that sticks out of the side if your wrist, and the square edges get caught on bag straps and what not.

Also it's an aesthetic decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

It's not a "questionable" aesthetic reason. Aesthetics are important, and to many people round looks better. If you pay attention, we're surrounded by things that are made in less-than-ideal ways because of historical reasons because people now think the way its always been done is the best looking.

Additionally, as far as I can tell it's not a "big" trade off. There's hardly any difference in using a square vs round display.