Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Fine, I'll keep being friends with my friend. You're all lame, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey Kyle. Just to let you know since you don't have PM's, I'm posting it here.

In your little way, you've inspired me. I mean, I used to think that I had it in me that I could be an internet critic. Maybe not so much in the vein of the Nostalgia Critic, but moreso in the vein of Korey Coleman and the good people at Double Toasted/One of Us, formerly of Spill.com. An informal format of guys who don't have any kind of real education when it comes to film criticism or film making, but who are enthusiastic of the genre and have seen enough films to where they can consider their opinions valid enough to be heard. While also being entertaining, but that goes without saying :)

I come from a literature backround. I studied the greats (Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc.). I studied the process of storytelling at its most primal and at its most timeless form (second of course to the oral tradition). A friend of mine told me that without a proper education in film making (editing, etc), I could not be a true film critic. What I really appreciate about what you do is that you shatter that conception of what a true film critic should be. Granted, you've probably had a proper education in film. But whereas I would approach a film from storytelling conventions and "tropes" (I cringe in saying that word for obvious reasons), you have approached it from both the technical and the storytelling perspectives. Because you're esseintially a guy with a camera with really good insight and opinions on film, you've inspired me. So much so, that I've created quite a few threads on Cinema Discusso where I've expressed my opinions on films, filmaking, and the state of the medium. You've also introduced me to Jim Jarmusch, a director you've showcased whose films are much more palatable to my tastes and sensibilities as opposed to the many others you've also featured through your review series. I guess what I really want to say after all this rambling is thank you for doing what you do.

PS: where's the Alfoso Curaón/Guliermo del Toro review allready? :D

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

quakster posted:

The only terrible bootleg cartoon movie I've seen in its entirety is Aladdin but these reviews are still heart-warmingly nostalgic.

Marzgurl and I watched the Dingo Pictures version of Pocahontas a while back. It's insane.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey Kyle. Just to let you know since you don't have PM's, I'm posting it here.

In your little way, you've inspired me. I mean, I used to think that I had it in me that I could be an internet critic. Maybe not so much in the vein of the Nostalgia Critic, but moreso in the vein of Korey Coleman and the good people at Double Toasted/One of Us, formerly of Spill.com. An informal format of guys who don't have any kind of real education when it comes to film criticism or film making, but who are enthusiastic of the genre and have seen enough films to where they can consider their opinions valid enough to be heard. While also being entertaining, but that goes without saying :)

I come from a literature backround. I studied the greats (Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc.). I studied the process of storytelling at its most primal and at its most timeless form (second of course to the oral tradition). A friend of mine told me that without a proper education in film making (editing, etc), I could not be a true film critic. What I really appreciate about what you do is that you shatter that conception of what a true film critic should be. Granted, you've probably had a proper education in film. But whereas I would approach a film from storytelling conventions and "tropes" (I cringe in saying that word for obvious reasons), you have approached it from both the technical and the storytelling perspectives. Because you're esseintially a guy with a camera with really good insight and opinions on film, you've inspired me. So much so, that I've created quite a few threads on Cinema Discusso where I've expressed my opinions on films, filmaking, and the state of the medium. You've also introduced me to Jim Jarmusch, a director you've showcased whose films are much more palatable to my tastes and sensibilities as opposed to the many others you've also featured through your review series. I guess what I really want to say after all this rambling is thank you for doing what you do.

Thanks! And best of luck to you. It's a harsh gig.

Benny the Snake posted:

PS: where's the Alfoso Curaón/Guliermo del Toro review allready? :D

Er... I'd have to pick a subject I'd really want to talk about first. Dunno where I'd start with those two.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know it's kind of gauche to request reviews, but I'd really like to see you try Fedrico Fellini's 8 1/2. It's a pretty great movie and seems to fit into Brows Held High's niche. I think there'd be a lot to talk about, at least.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

KKall posted:

Er... I'd have to pick a subject I'd really want to talk about first. Dunno where I'd start with those two.
How about the juxtaposition of the Spanish Civil War with Fairy Tales in Pan's Labyrinth? Or how about how Y tu Mama Tambien is an inverted coming of age story? I'm just spit balling here.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Oh hi Kyle. This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but bear with: I showed a friend of mine your Between The Lines Beatles video a while back and she loved it. She's an English teacher, wants to show it to her class, wants to know if there's any legal/attribution-y things that she should sort out before she does so.

Also, you mentioned Dogtooth in one of the Melancholia reviews, so I watched it and I will never be the same. Are you going to do a review of that?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/shake-it-off-by-taylor-swift-7031784

Todd takes on "Shake it off" by Taylor Swift.

That rap bit. :gonk:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that song is quite dire. And unfortunately also an awful ear worm.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mokinokaro posted:

It's...IN. MY. HEAD! :gonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/44723-space-adventure-cobra

Pfft there is no Rock Knight in this Space Cobra -5 Stars

Also
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/longbox-of-the-damned/44707-longbox-of-the-damned-2014-promo
:getin:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mokinokaro posted:

I sometimes find myself muttering "shake it of, shake it off", and I hate myself. Why is it that horrible songs you hate are so much more likely to get stuck in your head?

Really, of all the stupid in that song I think the most egregious is the claim that it contains sick beats. Someone needs to sit Taylor Swift down and have a conversation about either the constantly flaming nature of her pants or about what the definition of a sick beat is.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gyges posted:

I sometimes find myself muttering "shake it of, shake it off", and I hate myself. Why is it that horrible songs you hate are so much more likely to get stuck in your head?

And Todd's reviews are often how they get there. I still find myself humming Fancy's chorus (ONLY the chorus, which yeah, really proves how much Iggy Azalea adds to it). In my defence, I try to hum the 1920's flapper cover.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

THeres a new Errant Signal. This time taking a quick look at Glitchhikers http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=697

Are there any other shows or sites out there that look at the kind of strange, art-house games like this?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 15, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Please, pleeeaaaaaseeeeeeee do American Vampire. American Vampire owns bones.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

And Todd's reviews are often how they get there. I still find myself humming Fancy's chorus (ONLY the chorus, which yeah, really proves how much Iggy Azalea adds to it). In my defence, I try to hum the 1920's flapper cover.

Get in the game and start humming on Handy instead. :mmmsmug:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Violet_Sky posted:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/shake-it-off-by-taylor-swift-7031784

Todd takes on "Shake it off" by Taylor Swift.

That rap bit. :gonk:

I think "Taylor, are these haters, by any chance, your parents?" may be one of Todd's best jokes ever.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Get in the game and start humming on Handy instead. :mmmsmug:

This advice is entirely correct.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Nycea, formerly of the Agony Booth, is retiring from the business. Her farewell video is full of uncomfortable truths about running a review show.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

echopapa posted:

Nycea, formerly of the Agony Booth, is retiring from the business. Her farewell video is full of uncomfortable truths about running a review show.

That was a tough watch. I never really saw her stuff, though I wish I had now. I'm sure every content creator in this silly little community has had similar thoughts, similar doubts. It's a shame to see someone brought down by that pressure. At any rate, she's gone out with grace and I hope she does well in her future projects.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

echopapa posted:

Translation - "It's too hard so I quit, here is a bunch of excuses". Glad I never wasted my time watching her stuff if shes just gonna bail like that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Kyle, have you ever thought about doing a video on the Bioshock series? You've mentioned them in your videos, but a full analysis could be really interesting.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

BreakAtmo posted:

I tend to remember the Weird Al version better. It's more therapeutic.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Translation - "It's too hard so I quit, here is a bunch of excuses". Glad I never wasted my time watching her stuff if shes just gonna bail like that.

I'm always amused at the members of this thread that trip over themselves to dump personally on a bunch of people who give them poo poo for free simply for giving away poo poo for free. If they say nothing about how rough it is, they're trashed for being millionaires for "doing nothing". If they're open about how little they make and how much effort it really takes to develop web content for free consumption, they get told to go get jobs at the Olive Garden like the rest of us (and it is always the Olive Garden for some reason - apparently we got a lot of pissed off Darden employees here.)

It's how you can tell the difference between people in this thread that do creative work for a living - they can at least sympathize with the process even if they hate the output of a specific creator. I hate Spoony's output, but I can't deny him for having paid his bills on a bunch of stupid memes and "I Hate FFVIII" shirts.

Full disclosure - I do creative work for a living. The pay sucks, the hours are long, and it's hard to get recognition even amongst your peers, let alone your Money For Nothing audience. You do it because you just REALLY love doing it and that makes the crap more bearable. Soon as you stop loving it, you're better off leaving for something that at least pays the rent.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Spoken like a guy who's never done it or has any intentions of doing it, ever.

There's a lot more I guess I could say here if I had the time but meh. I can understand wanting to quit - hell, I pretty much did a month or so ago (although...well, there's ideas now. I think I just needed a break more than anything) - there's good AND bad parts to doing this, and it's easy for the bad to outweigh the good, at least in your mind.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
A review with NC and SciFi Guy on Arnie's 6th Day in which NC makes a joke about performing a sex act on a simulacrum of a 6-year old. :stonk: "A mouth's a mouth?" the poo poo?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Rebochan posted:

I'm always amused at the members of this thread that trip over themselves to dump personally on a bunch of people who give them poo poo for free simply for giving away poo poo for free. If they say nothing about how rough it is, they're trashed for being millionaires for "doing nothing". If they're open about how little they make and how much effort it really takes to develop web content for free consumption, they get told to go get jobs at the Olive Garden like the rest of us (and it is always the Olive Garden for some reason - apparently we got a lot of pissed off Darden employees here.)

I have a Real Job (a Real Career, even) and while I’m not relying on my show for money, I understand everything Nycea said about the social aspect of creative work. I wanted to make my show because I was watching these movies anyway, and I wanted to talk about them with people. Back in the glory days of Blip, when I was getting 80-100 hits and several comments per episode, it was extremely fulfilling. Now that I’ve had to move to a new host and I’m only getting a dozen or so views, it’s more of a drag, especially because my applications to a bunch of review sites have gone unanswered.

At least I get to talk to people with my live episodes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KayTee posted:

A review with NC and SciFi Guy on Arnie's 6th Day in which NC makes a joke about performing a sex act on a simulacrum of a 6-year old. :stonk: "A mouth's a mouth?" the poo poo?

Be sure to defend him though, we don't want all the TGWTG contributors to stop coming by.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Rebochan posted:

It's how you can tell the difference between people in this thread that do creative work for a living - they can at least sympathize with the process even if they hate the output of a specific creator. I hate Spoony's output, but I can't deny him for having paid his bills on a bunch of stupid memes and "I Hate FFVIII" shirts.

Full disclosure - I do creative work for a living. The pay sucks, the hours are long, and it's hard to get recognition even amongst your peers, let alone your Money For Nothing audience. You do it because you just REALLY love doing it and that makes the crap more bearable. Soon as you stop loving it, you're better off leaving for something that at least pays the rent.

Hear, hear. Passion projects are only worth it if you have the passion.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

And it's attitudes like that which make it so easy to stop having passion for it. Snark like that, devaluing all of your hard work, all of your research and editing time, all of the time spent making 20-odd minutes of nuthin'...

Put it online and it's "What, you think you're so cool because you have an INTERNET SHOW?"

Stop putting it online and it's "Why did you ever stop?"

Refuse to put it online and "Alright, bye quitter."

Nycea's talking about very real pressures that anyone who makes content online goes through. She's absolutely right; it feels like pissing into an ocean, though she left out the thousands of fish constantly biting at your ankles. Watching her video made me return to all of the anxiety I've felt about making my own work and all the times, ALL of the times, that I've felt like giving up and moving on. I've felt a good many of them this past week alone.

It took a lot of courage for her to make that video. It takes so much courage to be that honest on the internet, and she has all of my respect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's best not to get stressed out over off-hand comments like that. That's the sad thing about the internet - you can be a jerk by typing as little as possible only for the people you antagonized to write up thesis size responses to it. Just treat it like laws of motion: To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction. In this case the reaction is "That's just, like, your opinion, man."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Okay you do it then.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Do you even understand how hard these people work? Personally, I would never want to be an Internet critic because I know I wouldn't make a good quality video. I respect their dedication.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

I respect their dedication.

This is the important thing all of you piling on the guy need to focus on. Sounds to me he's agreeing with the quoted sentence to a degree. He doesn't like her LACK of dedication, which hardly sounds like the worst thing in the world to say given everything just said about how much this hobby requires out of someone. You have to be willing to make the enormous commitment, and if not, well, quit. Doesn't sound so controversial to me.

(Yes some people can sound like entitled fucks in here but I think the stigma surrounding criticising free content is silly.)

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

beep by grandpa posted:

Sounds to me he's agreeing with the quoted sentence to a degree.

:cripes:

beep by grandpa posted:

(Yes some people can sound like entitled fucks in here but I think the stigma surrounding criticising free content is silly.)

What stigma? Unless you're suggesting "opinions cannot be criticized?" In which case, holy crap are you on the wrong site.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

beep by grandpa posted:

There's a difference between criticizing and being a dick though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think that lady's video speaks to a lot about the nature and environment of Internet Content (critics, recaps, whatever) and its life cycle.

We're past the point where someone can be a nobody and become Internet Famous for more than a few minutes, and all the nobodies trying to get there are broadly replaceable. Like she says in her video, you might be upset that her recap show is going away, but there's always another one of those kinda shows you'll find and watch anyway.

The thing I most dug about what she had to say was the admittance that she knew that her content existed only because of other people's content. I feel that's usually glossed over in discussions like this. When most of the Internet Famous critics started their shows, they had a running faucet of Other People's Stuff to harvest consequence-free, but the rules are catching up to them, and that faucet is drying up.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MisterBibs posted:

I think that lady's video speaks to a lot about the nature and environment of Internet Content (critics, recaps, whatever) and its life cycle.

We're past the point where someone can be a nobody and become Internet Famous for more than a few minutes, and all the nobodies trying to get there are broadly replaceable. Like she says in her video, you might be upset that her recap show is going away, but there's always another one of those kinda shows you'll find and watch anyway.

The thing I most dug about what she had to say was the admittance that she knew that her content existed only because of other people's content. I feel that's usually glossed over in discussions like this. When most of the Internet Famous critics started their shows, they had a running faucet of Other People's Stuff to harvest consequence-free, but the rules are catching up to them, and that faucet is drying up.

That is why i feel on what doug was trying to do demo reel and brad started to do more projects with a written story like the reviewers and gameboys TAS. and now their in charater review shows are the least fun to watch for me. i rather have them be themselves talking about adventure time or midnight releases then a character who review shity old movies.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kim Justice posted:

Spoken like a guy who's never done it or has any intentions of doing it, ever.

There's a lot more I guess I could say here if I had the time but meh. I can understand wanting to quit - hell, I pretty much did a month or so ago (although...well, there's ideas now. I think I just needed a break more than anything) - there's good AND bad parts to doing this, and it's easy for the bad to outweigh the good, at least in your mind.

What are the chances we see that Streets of Rage retrospective in the near future? It's a woefully under-discussed series.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
http://instagram.com/p/tBwMfanqaY/?modal=true

Wonder if Nostalgia Critic is going to revisit Hook. With Rufio himself in tow.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
http://youtu.be/nob1UmvCuFs

Pat the NES Punk started his new season this week with a review of Toki for the NES. It is a satire on SJWs and feminists. Can anyone tell me if he's being an rear end in a top hat here or not? I actually do not know since it's not clear who/what in particular this is about and he has a point... but I'm also under the impression that there's a lack of understanding behind it. I really like Pat and I don't want to believe he might be a dick. :smith:

KayTee posted:

On the other hand, I'm totally OK with shock humor, esp. when your character is supposed to be a dick. v:geno:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ema Nymton posted:

http://youtu.be/nob1UmvCuFs

Pat the NES Punk started his new season this week with a review of Toki for the NES. It is a satire on SJWs and feminists. Can anyone tell me if he's being an rear end in a top hat here or not? I actually do not know since it's not clear who/what in particular this is about and he has a point... but I'm also under the impression that there's a lack of understanding behind it. I really like Pat and I don't want to believe he might be a dick. :smith:

I don't know, I mean, there legitimately is a cadre of unpleasable assholes who will never forgive and never forget. I found Welcome to Tumblr pretty funny, for instance (though even tongue in cheek, the trans stuff in that video was kind of awkward).

In Pat's video eeeeehh... I dunno, it felt kind of ignorant. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, and he even poked fun at the fact that sometimes he really does mess up with the "some of my best friends..." line. I'm willing to give him a pass, but I do feel he made a mistake using that gag.

• Locked thread