Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

poopcup posted:

Last semester's soda firing was a huge success!

That's about 12" tall and 17" across, B-Mix fired to just under cone 11 with a D'Arvor kaolin based flashing slip.

Those are looking good... what sort of kiln design is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

poopcup posted:

Last semester's soda firing was a huge success!

That's about 12" tall and 17" across, B-Mix fired to just under cone 11 with a D'Arvor kaolin based flashing slip.

That's very pretty!
I don't know what the words mean but the items in the pictures look very nice. Good color and texture.There's a veritable motion to them.

Here's a miniature sculpture in epoxy-putty (ProCreate by Kraftmark)

(quarter for scale)

And an illustration in mixed media: Dip pens, pencils, color pencils, brush pens, watercolor, gouache, rapidographs

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Decided to not use charcoal for this one. I need some graphite sticks for blocking in large areas.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Reposting from the phiz thread. I started grad school recently, and I've pretty much been working non-stop on new art.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Just a sketch on some midtone paper. Trying out various stuff.

It's a lot of fun and has some cool things you can do but it's also frustrating in a sense.
I really need to try gouache. Anyone know of a solid tutorial/explanation? I have a tube of white and black hth tia.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Hellbeard posted:

I really need to try gouache. Anyone know of a solid tutorial/explanation? I have a tube of white and black hth tia.
Gouache is great. You can water it down all the way to a watercolor-like opacity, but for maximum strength you want the consistency to be kind of like shampoo. It's noticeably more difficult to do smooth blending with gouache than with watercolor, so typically the painting style preferred is more "graphic," with hard edges and solid chunks of color. It's ideal for cartoony work, or for Leyendecker-esque stylized painting. Instead of layering from light to dark as you might with watercolor, with gouache you can put the darks down first and put lights over them. You can kind of go back and forth from dark to light and back, but the paint is not 100% opaque and lower layers will show through a bit.

When gouache dries, it becomes slightly lighter in value than when it was wet. Eventually you learn to predict how much shift is going to happen and compensate for it. Also, gouache can be re-activated even after it dries. This is good for fixing mistakes, but bad if you accidentally overwet something that you didn't want to change.

This is a nice gouache speedpaint video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSloIZDkvk

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

neonnoodle posted:

Gouache is great. You can water it down all the way to a watercolor-like opacity, but for maximum strength you want the consistency to be kind of like shampoo. It's noticeably more difficult to do smooth blending with gouache than with watercolor, so typically the painting style preferred is more "graphic," with hard edges and solid chunks of color. It's ideal for cartoony work, or for Leyendecker-esque stylized painting. Instead of layering from light to dark as you might with watercolor, with gouache you can put the darks down first and put lights over them. You can kind of go back and forth from dark to light and back, but the paint is not 100% opaque and lower layers will show through a bit.

When gouache dries, it becomes slightly lighter in value than when it was wet. Eventually you learn to predict how much shift is going to happen and compensate for it. Also, gouache can be re-activated even after it dries. This is good for fixing mistakes, but bad if you accidentally overwet something that you didn't want to change.

This is a nice gouache speedpaint video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSloIZDkvk

Thanks. Should I use any particular type of paper like for Watercolor?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Anyone know a good way to remove woodless color pencils? Erasers don't work as well as I would like.

I want to fix these bunny ears.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks. Should I use any particular type of paper like for Watercolor?
Heavier paper is better, because thickly-painted gouache can crack when dry. If the paper is too thin, the buckling of the dried paper can induce cracking or make it worse. But if you work moderately and don't layer the paint that thick, any paper suitable for wet media will work, even things like the heavier plain Moleskine sketchbooks.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Here's a quick self-portrait I tried to do from memory. Should have gotten a mirror if anything.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I feel like an idiot. A good eraser seems to work fine on woodless color pencils. You just have to work a lot harder at it.

Here is a flying monkey riding a monowheel.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I had something submitted to my school gallery back in March and it's mysteriously disappeared. Everything else submitted has been located and the staff has sent me through six different channels of "people who should know where it is." Charcoal is far from my medium of choice and I'm bummed 'cause I felt like I did a pretty good job with it. All I have left now is a WIP photo taken before some major refinements.:

So bummed.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I had someone commission me to paint a past family dog.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
There's a lot of really great stuff in here. I appreciate all the talent. Friends Are Evil's stuff really works for me. I'm a big fan of all that dark, forbidding atmosphere.

I made this silly thing for my buddy's wedding gift. He's a huge Nightmare fan, and I got Robert Englund to sign the back. His wife, another good friend, hates Freddy and gave me the stinkeye when he opened this.

This project is pretty cool, these two really sticking out to me in particular. Nice work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Welp, it looks like my piece got chosen for the flyer of a show.

If anyone is in Costa Mesa on October 8th, please come by and say hi.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doing some random architectural studies.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

TheGreekOwl posted:

Doing some random architectural studies.

COOL! I love technical drawings.

Here's some sketches/explorations:

Thumbed for big.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Month of Fear has started again, here's my first week's piece for "things that go bump". Oil and acrylic on 8"x10" masonite.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Kind of a silly question, but do you use a stamp for your signature, or is that painted by hand?

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Detective Thompson posted:

Kind of a silly question, but do you use a stamp for your signature, or is that painted by hand?

I use a stamp, except for the date. I got one of those stone stamp carving kits and made my own with my initials. However, if a piece I do is very tiny I will just hand-paint it.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

That's a very nice painting Jisae. Well done.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Made this for another friends' wedding. They're both Futurama/Daft Punk fans, so I thought I'd combine 'em. Bender came out too blue, though it has a better contrast than the photo makes it seem. He's got a bit of a blue cast to him in the show, but when I painted him he was too gray. So I thought I'd add a little blue wash, try to thin the paint with water and have some of the gray still come through. But I still have no idea what I'm doing and wasn't sure how much water to use with the acrylics before it got too diluted and wouldn't hold. I guess I used too little and he ended up too blue. Calculon was too flat just plain gold, so I went and mussed him up, I guess trying to give him a burnished metal look, but he sorta just looks like he fell in the mud. Still, I think overall it came out okay for me not really having the right skills to pull it off correctly. I think I need to stick to more abstract stuff in the future.

TheOnlyStarFish
Apr 22, 2010

"And the fucking pants. Goddammit, the fucking pants. again. If there is anyone on this planet who likes those fucking pants other than you 3 people, they’re probably 5 years old and laugh at anything random."

Gauche on Wood.

This was for a Sailor Moon gift exchange but I ended up liking it too much and just sending my giftee a Tshirt.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

smallmouth posted:

I had someone commission me to paint a past family dog.

I really, really like this. The only thing that bothers me is how solid that right paw is. It distracts from the face which is amazing.

I would urge you to do a series of animals in that style. I have a feeling they would sell really well (if you're into that sort of thing.) There are a lot of "abstracted pet portraits" out there, but a lot of them don't "get" abstract like this does.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!
Cross posted from the daily thread, but I was hoping to get a bit more feedback here

I'm trying to learn to paint for real and not just make colored drawings

my bed:

my dog:

self portrait:

(messed up a bit on the face here but I kept going with it)

They obviously are still beginner works, but what do you think? What can I work on improving?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

HungryMedusa posted:

I really, really like this. The only thing that bothers me is how solid that right paw is. It distracts from the face which is amazing.

I would urge you to do a series of animals in that style. I have a feeling they would sell really well (if you're into that sort of thing.) There are a lot of "abstracted pet portraits" out there, but a lot of them don't "get" abstract like this does.

Thanks so much! I agree about the right leg (can't unsee :smith:). Unfortunately I don't want to overwork anything with it now.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right, I think its time I wind down to this.

Stoa Architectural Design:
I call it a Stoa but its actually a Byzantine (Eastern Roman Empire) Greek Orthodox Church that I repurposed as a barracks for military use. Its capable of sheltering forty to fifty (40-50) indeviduals, well supplied and works all year long.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
I made a thing. Tube of silicone for mold, old broken wall-light and some quick cement

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Found some small 3"x3" canvasses at Michael's, did a little something for the season.

Didn't really realize until I took the pictures how much you can still tell where I painted over the skull with black. It used to be bigger, but I wasn't as happy with the skull when I looked at it the next day, so I painted over part of it, made it smaller. Needs a little more black over those parts, I guess.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!
still working! maybe improving? both done last night

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

After taking some watercolor classes at the local adult education center, I think I'm comfortable sharing a couple things I painted just recently.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Those are very nice Yoshi. A very believable sense of lighting in the bird one, especially.
Here's what I'm working on now:

Not sure where to go with it. I'm considering bringing in the airbrush.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hellbeard posted:

Not sure where to go with it. I'm considering bringing in the airbrush.

Yeha, I think you should airbursh it or do something similar, maybe try to make it look liked those 70s/80s sci-fi illustrators that look rad as hell.

Meanwhile, I am still working and reasearching concept art

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Can anyone give me some advice on fancy brushes? I've owned two of these http://www.dickblick.com/products/raphael-kevrin-mongoose-brushes/ for about 5 years and they've served me well but recently got paint in the core of one of them and, although there isn't paint washing out of it anymore the bristles are starting to fall out. (Thought I ruined the other one too but I think it was just stained.)

My first thought was to just buy another one but since I don't really know much about quality brushes I figured I'd ask if there's something better at a similar pricepoint. I mainly use them for watercolor and gouache but I'll be using more acrylic and oils in the future.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

fancy brushes?

Honestly if the brushes you had gave you good results for five years of constant use then I would probably just buy the ones you like and are used to. Raphael is one of the best brands and it's really hard to go wrong with them anyways.

If you wanted to explore other options besides your mongoose brushes, the Raphael Kolinsky Sable rounds along with the Winsor Series 7 Kolinsky rounds are pretty much considered to be the best in class for things like inking/detail/fine linework (and I like them as watercolor brushes as well). These brushes are very expensive however, so if you do go for them, get whichever is cheaper of the two for your Kolinsky brush. Both lines are solid and should last a long time if you take good care of them.

For oils I find that natural/hog bristle brushes last a long time and work pretty well especially if you end up using a fair amount of paint on the brush. You'll still need some softer brushes for details like a sable/synthetic flat or something similar like your mongoose but you don't want to use soft brushes exclusively because oil/solvents are very hard on them. That said you should definitely buy a cheap bristle first to see if you like that kind of brush before going out and spending money on a Raphael or other high quality bristle. I know some oil painters who hate bristles so much they'll exclusively use sable/synthetics for oil and just live with the fact that they go through lots of brushes.

Though definitely make sure you have a separate set of brushes for oils, and a separate set for water soluble media. That is not stuff you want to mix together.

I can't speak about acrylic as I don't use it personally, but I know there are quite a few around here who do so one of them should be able to give you good recommendations for that medium.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

DisDisDis posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on fancy brushes? I've owned two of these http://www.dickblick.com/products/raphael-kevrin-mongoose-brushes/ for about 5 years and they've served me well but recently got paint in the core of one of them and, although there isn't paint washing out of it anymore the bristles are starting to fall out. (Thought I ruined the other one too but I think it was just stained.)

My first thought was to just buy another one but since I don't really know much about quality brushes I figured I'd ask if there's something better at a similar pricepoint. I mainly use them for watercolor and gouache but I'll be using more acrylic and oils in the future.

Hog bristle is mainly used for oil painting to lay down thick layers or pigment. If you're planning on painting exclusively in gouache/watercolor I'd suggest sable or a soft synthetic or synthetic/sable blend. Personally I use either purely synthetic or a cheapish sable. Currently I'm using Royal Langnickel's Zen series, they're super cheap. I use them for oils, and though I have friends who swear by pure sable when they oil paint, I go through brushes like no one's business. I could probably benefit from washing and maintaining my brushes better, but considering I paint 6-8 hours a day, the last thing I want to do when I'm done working for the day is to spend an hour washing and conditioning my brushes :shobon:

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ok, so, I think I am finished with the gryphon concept art for now, drew the final seven heads here.

This is winding down and I am pleasured to see work being done.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

An attempt was made.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Been a while since I've worked on anything.. but I finally got around to finishing a thing:

"Skylines" 16x12 on scratchboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

DEO3 posted:

Been a while since I've worked on anything.. but I finally got around to finishing a thing:

"Skylines" 16x12 on scratchboard

That's super neat-o!
The buildings look great. Maybe the clouds could stand to be more fluffy or have something more awesome happening there; more drama.
I've recently ordered a scratchboard (claybord) and I'm eager to try it out but I'm not very sure what or how. Any tips?

Anyways—
Here are a couple of sketches/drawings