Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

Who cares about the D750

I could point you to a forum that is happier than a pig in poo poo that they have a FX body that is a sequential number from the D700. They of course were very angry at the D800 and the D600/610 mathmatically was inferior to the D700 as a proper replacement.

The true answer is gear whores. They are excited about this. Just like if they were to do a D400 replacement in a D7200 body (which is the D400 replacement, dwi people). Nikon is having an identity crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
This kind of weird product engineering it was made me choose Canon when I went FF. I think Nikon shooters were looking forward to a true 5D3 competitor and D700 successor and only sorta half got it.

Yeah yeah the Nikon/Sony sensors are "better" but I felt like features and handling wise I was compromising a lot less with Canon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

This kind of weird product engineering it was made me choose Canon when I went FF. I think Nikon shooters were looking forward to a true 5D3 competitor and D700 successor and only sorta half got it.

Yeah yeah the Nikon/Sony sensors are "better" but I felt like features and handling wise I was compromising a lot less with Canon.

Lets be real here. Both companies poo poo on their customers. Nikon on their mid range customers, Canon on anyone that buys a Txx camera with that 81 year old sensor. THe D700 kept up with the 5D2 in terms of IQ but lost out to the 5D3 but the only people who cared about that were chart shooters. By then the D800 came out and people were angry at the file size. Again, mostly chart/wall shooters were mad.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I just want a new high-end crop sensor body for birding because I feel mildly silly putting giant telephoto lenses in my D3200 :(

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Kenshin posted:

I just want a new high-end crop sensor body for birding because I feel mildly silly putting giant telephoto lenses in my D3200 :(

D7200 when it comes out, until then D7100. Literally the D300 replacement in every way but buffering. D400 rumors have been around for years and never materialize any truth. Alternative is a Fuji XT1 + 600mm Nikkor on a gimble.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kenshin posted:

D2X or D7K bro

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

The 5d3 was half a grand more when it was introduced IIRC.

The only thing I wish my D800 did was wifi in a non-retarded way.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Musket posted:

D7200 when it comes out, until then D7100. Literally the D300 replacement in every way but buffering. D400 rumors have been around for years and never materialize any truth. Alternative is a Fuji XT1 + 600mm Nikkor on a gimble.

Well, yeah. I'd been hoping they would announce the D7200 but if they don't announce it before February I'll pick up a D7100 for my Borneo trip in March.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Musket posted:

I could point you to a forum that is happier than a pig in poo poo that they have a FX body that is a sequential number from the D700. They of course were very angry at the D800 and the D600/610 mathmatically was inferior to the D700 as a proper replacement.

The true answer is gear whores. They are excited about this. Just like if they were to do a D400 replacement in a D7200 body (which is the D400 replacement, dwi people). Nikon is having an identity crisis.

Pretty much. The D700 had the D3 'flagship' sensor in a stripped-down chassis. The D4 sensor is in the Df, which is fantastic but has all this weird misplaced retro design and is clunky as hell. The D800 is comically overpowered and 'out resolves' all but the most recent glass, but is still in the D700's relative price range. The D600/610 is in the sensor sweet spot comparable to the 5d3, but is missing a lot of the functionality that a professional wants, like an AF button. And then there's the DX lineup.

To use Nikon is to compromise, somewhere.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evil_bunnY posted:

If it's as cheap and good as the 35....

Lol nope $800.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
The D750 sounds like an amazing price point for the advantages gained over the D610. Wider focus area, more focus points, lower light focusing, tilting screen, aperture control in live view, faster burst mode, nearly as small/light...

This might be the camera to bring me over to FF when used prices come down in a year or two.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

How is the D800 half a competitor to the 5DMkIII? I went from a 5D MkII to the D800 because I liked its sensor and feature set better so I'm curious about what you think was the compromise.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

powderific posted:

How is the D800 half a competitor to the 5DMkIII? I went from a 5D MkII to the D800 because I liked its sensor and feature set better so I'm curious about what you think was the compromise.

Sorry I was referring to the D750, but I'll explain my thinking. When I bought my 5D3 the only the D600 and D800 were available.

I rented both the D800 and 5D3 and for me, it came down to the 5D3 having better AF, more manageable files sizes, (to my eye) better video, and more FPS.

The D600 would have been nice as it was like $1300 cheaper, but the AF, shutter speed, no AF-ON button, no Av control during shooting etc etc made it a no go for me.

Then the 5D3 had better high ISO, works with more of my legacy lenses, and for my purposes, I like the Canon lens lineup a lot.

God damned I wish I could have had the Sony sensor in a Canon body though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

If you check my post history 80% of is making GBS threads on Canon though. I could have sworn I was going D600/D800 until about 2 weeks prior to my purchase.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Nikon identity crisis is neat IMO because it means that certain people won't have to replace the D700.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

What is the use of a largish aperture capability on a landscape lens that you'll be shooting with at f/16 or more? Or do people use a 20mm for things where they'll get bokeh?

Fast wides are useful for filmmaking, astrophotography and general low-light use. Unless corner-to-corner sharpness is stellar and it completely lacks distortion, I don't see the 20mm displacing the 14-24mm for landscape use.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
f2 for deadpan night landscapes, handheld at iso6400 :snoop:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Also I don't use my Nikon for video anymore, but my Blackmagic Cinema Cameras all have m43 to Nikon Speedboosters and a 20mm 1.8 would round out my current set of primes; got 24, 35, 50, and 85 already.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
So instead of making a camera that some people (read: I) want, a d300s replacement, they go ahead and make yet another fx body.

Then they continue to not release any crop body wide angle lenses, but instead they go and make a new superzoom.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

So instead of making a camera that some people (read: I) want, a d300s replacement, they go ahead and make yet another fx body.

Then they continue to not release any crop body wide angle lenses, but instead they go and make a new superzoom.

What would you want in the D300s that isn't provided for by another camera?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

Your replacement is a D7200, shut up already. (see thread title)

VelociBacon posted:

What would you want in the D300s that isn't provided for by another camera?

Probably the extra weight and more than just top seals for weather sealing and a larger image buffer that was never really used unless you were spray and praying. But mostly cuz it looked like a pro fx body when gripped.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The pro body construction and weathersealing, the pro body buttons, and the big buffer.

I don't spray and pray but 6 shots in burst is just terrible.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Darn Nikon for not releasing a 12-24mm f/4 and 10-24mm f/3.5‑4. Darn them to heck.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I get why some people would want wide angle crop zooms, but is something wrong with the Tokina 11-16 or the Sigma 8-16?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

I get why some people would want wide angle crop zooms, but is something wrong with the Tokina 11-16 or the Sigma 8-16?

Doesnt say Nikkor on it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Musket posted:

Your replacement is a D7200, shut up already. (see thread title)
Except it isn't, since it is still nothing more than rumor. (yes, I know, logic would indicate they will eventually come out with the D7200, but who knows when that will happen)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Moon Potato posted:

Fast wides are useful for filmmaking, astrophotography and general low-light use.

As a photojournalist, boxing, small-venue concerts/stage performances, the county fair, and general indoor ambient-light stuff come to mind as well. Pretty much anything where a sane person would use flash, but you don't want the subject floating in a black void. Also structure fires/wrecks at night, lit only by the fire and/or :siren:.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Shallow dof labia shots.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
To change the subject a bit, I've got a question about lenses!

I'm currently shooting a D7100, and in my bag I've got the kit 18-70mm 3.5-4.5, which its sort of meh, and the 35mm 1.8, which is a somehow imbued with magic that makes every image gorgeous.

I've been craving a lens that covers the 35mm + range, and I'd like to go past the 70mm. The obvious choices I see are the 55-300mm 4.5-5.6, and the 55-200mm 4-5.6. The 200mm is slightly cheaper, and both have image stabilization to some extent. The 300mm has ED glass, which apparently cuts down on chromatic aberration or something, and a longer zoom.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, and am I missing any obvious competitors (3rd party perhaps?)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I'm currently shooting a D7100, and in my bag I've got the kit 18-70mm 3.5-4.5, which its sort of meh, and the 35mm 1.8, which is a somehow imbued with magic that makes every image gorgeous.

I've been craving a lens that covers the 35mm + range, and I'd like to go past the 70mm. The obvious choices I see are the 55-300mm 4.5-5.6, and the 55-200mm 4-5.6. The 200mm is slightly cheaper, and both have image stabilization to some extent. The 300mm has ED glass, which apparently cuts down on chromatic aberration or something, and a longer zoom.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, and am I missing any obvious competitors (3rd party perhaps?)

It's bigger than the ones you mention, but the Tamron 70-300 VC is pretty bitchin and sounds like it would be a decent choice for you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Either that or a long prime (60/85/90).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

JesusDoesVegas posted:

They are all lenses that were intended as a complement to the old 18-55 kit lens, and as such were all pretty meh to be honest.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

It's bigger than the ones you mention, but the Tamron 70-300 VC is pretty bitchin and sounds like it would be a decent choice for you.

Love that lens on my D7000, +1

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SybilVimes posted:

They are all lenses that were intended as a complement to the old 18-55 kit lens, and as such were all pretty meh to be honest.

From what I've seen the 55-200 is slightly less of a shitheap than the 55-300 but it's a close race.

I'd probably go with the Tamron.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I've never used a long prime, but they sort of scare me. At 35 or 50 I can probably zoom with my feet just fine... When things that are far enough away that I would want a telephoto length that seems harder. Maybe not though... Like I said I've never used one.

Renting a fixed telephoto for a day could be fun.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I've never used a long prime, but they sort of scare me. At 35 or 50 I can probably zoom with my feet just fine... When things that are far enough away that I would want a telephoto length that seems harder. Maybe not though... Like I said I've never used one.

Renting a fixed telephoto for a day could be fun.

135mm f2. Jokes all aside, the Tammy is your best bet. Or you could get a 80-400mm and be done with ever needing another tele for a few years. And no you cant zoom with your feet in some situations with a 50mm. Right tools for the right job.

https://www.keh.com/search/list?s=80-400mm+nikon

red19fire
May 26, 2010

JesusDoesVegas posted:

The 55-200mm is pretty garbage, but it's also cheap. The sweet spot is around f/8. I would go for a 135mm fixed, f2 if you can afford it.

Natural Violence 2 by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
To get something of decent quality I'm going to have to save a bit, but while looking for that Tamron 70-300mm, I found an old 24-200mm for $35 (model A03s... turns out Tamron made eight different models of these from the mid 90s to the mid 2000s). I figured, what the hell, I'll throw it in my bag to play around with while I save for something a little more modern.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SoundMonkey posted:

From what I've seen the 55-200 is slightly less of a shitheap than the 55-300 but it's a close race.

I'd probably go with the Tamron.
Bought a non VR 55-200mm for £50 and though it was crap, especially for wildlife, so spent £300 on a 300mm f/4 instead, which in hindsight doesn't make much sense, but PRIMES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

What is the use of a largish aperture capability on a landscape lens that you'll be shooting with at f/16 or more? Or do people use a 20mm for things where they'll get bokeh?

Why exactly is the new 20mm a landscape lens? Why is f/1.8 used solely for bokeh?