Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cingulate posted:

What about the premise would you call decent?

Immortal vampire worm lords with their own secret civilizations; one worm lord trying to splinter away from their cabal and create its own unsustainable murder kingdom within the United States - leading eventually to a World War when the rest of humanity found out.

That's kinda cool.

And then the dude's dick falling into the toilet when he peed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drifter posted:

Immortal vampire worm lords with their own secret civilizations; one worm lord trying to splinter away from their cabal and create his own unsustainable murder kingdom within the United States - leading eventually to a World War when the rest of humanity found out.

I can't wait till they get to the Murder Kingdom part and how he structures it all. :iia:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

I can't wait till they get to the Murder Kingdom part and how he structures it all. :iia:

I have only seen the show, not read the books, it actually gets off the ground? That's pretty badass.

I hope they have new cast next season then. Aside from the ratcatcher and the old dude.

Do they team up with the Swat Bunnies, or do they never meet?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love the casual anarchy of the city. The doc heads out to find his wife, general disorder and chaos is represented by one guy running past him with a box and glass breaking in the background.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
It's the worlds most boring apocalypse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The are working on a budget, guys. C'mon. <:mad:>

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From everything I've read, their budget is like 40% of The Walking Dead.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
They could at least set some things on fire!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Welp, that's the end of her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She was a pretty terrible teacher considering she just ran off and left her students without a word.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One of us! One of us!

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Shoulda listened to your ex who is trained in this sort of thing, the ppl in the earlier eps are so loving retarded.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So I see they're not afraid of child murder scenes. :stare:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Minus points for old man not mentioning tubes when talking about computers/internet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

So I see they're not afraid of child murder scenes. :stare:

Well there was that dead kid at the beginning.

I kind of hope we get some behind the scenes stuff because I have to imagine the pre-production shots of people doing the vampire mouth are pretty funny.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Is there anything worse than a bad kid actor? Jesus gently caress.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was wondering if the Master was going to use Kelly for something more than just another drone in the ranks, and sure enough he seems to be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CVagts posted:

I was wondering if the Master was going to use Kelly for something more than just another drone in the ranks, and sure enough he seems to be.

In the series another vampire super-power is being able to home in loved ones, so the masster basically now has a blood hound to track the Scooby gang.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Candy Dawn posted:

Shoulda listened to your ex who is trained in this sort of thing, the ppl in the earlier eps are so loving retarded.

Back to moving at a snails pace. Yes, I have to say that if your ex-husband, or significant other, who is a top Doctor in the CDC tells you to leave town to avoid a horrible virus and you don't do it, then you deserve whatever happens. The internet and cell service doesn't work, except when it does work.

Eph: The Director of the Center for Disease Control put me in charge.
loving really? They also took you off the case and tried to put you in jail you worthless piece of poo poo. RatCatcher, HackerGirl and Rich Guy's Bodyguard need to take this show over.

Finally, jump back 34 hours, then 17 hours, then 4 hours or whatever it was. That's just really, really bad writing.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 15, 2014

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
That child actor is absolutely terrible, Carl from TWD was even better.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cute n Popular posted:

That child actor is absolutely terrible, Carl from TWD was even better.

I just watched the series premiere of. Z Nation on SyFy and I'm in. It's the campy feel god alternative to the laborious, cliche, don't go looking for the lost cat in the dark basement poo poo that is The Walking Dead. Seriously, gently caress The Walking Dead. But, watch Z Nation.

Edit: sorry for posting this here but seriously, watch this. I think everyone hoping for entertainment from The Strain would enjoy Z Nation.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God the acting in this show is bad. The acting or the written dialog, I can't be sure because it's all just so bad.

The worm going into the lady's eye was pretty cool. I'm fifteen minutes in so far. God drat if this show didn't have special effects nobody'd watch it.

I'm gonna check out ZNation, we'll see how that is. It may have been you, but I sw it recommended in the series' thread here, too. Sounded like something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

radical meme posted:

I just watched the series premiere of. Z Nation on SyFy and I'm in. It's the campy feel god alternative to the laborious, cliche, don't go looking for the lost cat in the dark basement poo poo that is The Walking Dead. Seriously, gently caress The Walking Dead. But, watch Z Nation.

Edit: sorry for posting this here but seriously, watch this. I think everyone hoping for entertainment from The Strain would enjoy Z Nation.

Z nation has the Asylum low budget direct to DVD feel.

I'm watching it as a punishment TV series.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Blech, what an insufferably bad episode. pile that awful child acting on alongside heaps of boring focus on the least relevant garbage characters.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Does it loving LOOK like I found Mom, you walking failed abortion?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It really was completely unnecessary to show how the mom got changed and changed others, we get how the whole system worked did we really need 3/4ths of an episode devoted to re-explaining how they go after loved ones and the like? Seriously now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Justin Credible posted:

It really was completely unnecessary to show how the mom got changed and changed others, we get how the whole system worked did we really need 3/4ths of an episode devoted to re-explaining how they go after loved ones and the like? Seriously now.

But you had WORM VISION this time.

What the eph is wrong with this show? I just want you to be good but you're letting me down so much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That kid stinks and I don't like him.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This show is seriously getting worse.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Have they reduced the incubation time between infection and murderous zompire? Wasn't it like a day before you started attacking people? Or are Diane and her son now chosen as well?

So did Dutch stick with the group or leave? I like her.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

Have they reduced the incubation time between infection and murderous zompire? Wasn't it like a day before you started attacking people? Or are Diane and her son now chosen as well?

So did Dutch stick with the group or leave? I like her.

The incubation period moves at the speed of plot. But I think the show has tried to get across that you will become a vampire more quickly if you are drained dry, as opposed to suffering an incidental worm.

We're two episodes out from "army of vampires attack a gas station" and well into the total breakdown of society--it's literally too dangerous to walk on the street and has been for days--and characters are still sitting around having chats and ruminating about their personal lives. Or they're going off alone to go on quests of personal reflection. And we have to withstand Eph the Incredible Shithead who drives characters away by pulling rank as a CDC official, an organization that does not really exist at this point and he was made persona non grata from days ago. After an episode that was more of Eph's boring stupid personal life than ever.

This is not even touching on the multiple moron characters, like security guy who wants it to be on the record that he "disagrees" with destroying civilization but has nothing further to contribute.

The pacing of this show is miserable, it looked like they were all set to actually ramp things up with the encounter with Eichorst followed by the gas station episode, but somehow the show is now moving more slowly than ever. It feels like it's running up on significant budget constraints combined with just lousy writing all-around. It's not even fun to watch as a trainwreck, it's just kind of boring at this point. I think I'm done.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The incubation period moves at the speed of plot. But I think the show has tried to get across that you will become a vampire more quickly if you are drained dry, as opposed to suffering an incidental worm.

We're two episodes out from "army of vampires attack a gas station" and well into the total breakdown of society--it's literally too dangerous to walk on the street and has been for days--and characters are still sitting around having chats and ruminating about their personal lives. Or they're going off alone to go on quests of personal reflection. And we have to withstand Eph the Incredible Shithead who drives characters away by pulling rank as a CDC official, an organization that does not really exist at this point and he was made persona non grata from days ago. After an episode that was more of Eph's boring stupid personal life than ever.

This is not even touching on the multiple moron characters, like security guy who wants it to be on the record that he "disagrees" with destroying civilization but has nothing further to contribute.

The pacing of this show is miserable, it looked like they were all set to actually ramp things up with the encounter with Eichorst followed by the gas station episode, but somehow the show is now moving more slowly than ever. It feels like it's running up on significant budget constraints combined with just lousy writing all-around. It's not even fun to watch as a trainwreck, it's just kind of boring at this point. I think I'm done.

It's like everyone wakes up in the morning and has just forgotten about all the horrors that happened during the night. Whoever said that this is the most boring apocalypse ever was completely right.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
Christ this episode was bad. Just pure garbage.

On the whole the series is kinda enjoyable when it's not taking itself too seriously... but this episode has forced me to complain on the internet.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Love the cgi tears on that child actor's face in the last scene, such an emotional way to end the episode.

Neba fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 15, 2014

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

radical meme posted:

Rich Guy's Bodyguard need to take this show over.

Roger Cross may get that chance if Continuum doesn't get renewed. He's a great actor and if you think he's good on The Strain he's even more of a badass as a super soldier/terrorist from the future.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The weirdest moment was the way she instantly walked out on her classroom when her teacher friend said half the kids hadn't shown up. Not a "hey class, keep reading chapter 15" much less a "I have knowledge that there's an infectious disease spreading and you should go home". Just straight-up sociopath kids what loving kids I'm outta here.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

hepscat posted:

The weirdest moment was the way she instantly walked out on her classroom when her teacher friend said half the kids hadn't shown up. Not a "hey class, keep reading chapter 15" much less a "I have knowledge that there's an infectious disease spreading and you should go home". Just straight-up sociopath kids what loving kids I'm outta here.

Nuh uh. The weirdest moment was Felders storming out onto the streets at night over basically nothing, Setrakian saying nothing about it after previously yelling at people for divisiveness, and no one else having a problem with Eph pulling "rank" and driving her away after he spent the day abandoning the fight to search for his obviously-infected wife while Felders was actually trying to do something useful.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think next week I'll just watch the last 15 minutes, and then if they're good, I'll watch the first 45 minutes of the immediate replay. Because the only important parts of that episode were "Fitzwilliam doesn't agree with his boss" and "Eph's wife is a vampire and now he knows it." We didn't need an hour to get there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CVagts posted:

I think next week I'll just watch the last 15 minutes, and then if they're good, I'll watch the first 45 minutes of the immediate replay. Because the only important parts of that episode were "Fitzwilliam doesn't agree with his boss" and "Eph's wife is a vampire and now he knows it." We didn't need an hour to get there.

This is the best course of action for this show, yeah. But to also play the initial 45 minutes at 2x speed if you decide to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Whispering Machines posted:

It's the worlds most boring apocalypse.

I think that Argento's Mother of Tears still wins that one. It's not nearly as exciting as The Strain's NYC apocalypse (think about that one), but it still drives women to despondently throw their babies into the Tiber.

• Locked thread