Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

How was the Pirate broken?

I think free lunch costed only like 15 mp

e: or was it amped strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

How was the Pirate broken?

The original version of its damage-amping moves were not a percentage of your MP but just a flat MP number.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Volt Catfish posted:

I think free lunch costed only like 15 mp

e: or was it amped strike?

But the Free Lunch / Amped Strike combo is still broken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

But the Free Lunch / Amped Strike combo is still broken.

Yeah, the original pirate didn't need Free Lunch.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Amped Strike/Free Lunch was my end-game Edea combo and I never looked back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Dark Knight using that chain-attack move was my go-to. It was the only consistent way to get huge damage. I think it was also broken in the original release so you could do something stupid like equip a blood sword and chain indefinitely. Or something.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Dark Knight using that chain-attack move was my go-to. It was the only consistent way to get huge damage. I think it was also broken in the original release so you could do something stupid like equip a blood sword and chain indefinitely. Or something.

Apparently the Rage move where they attack five times or until they don't have enough HP to cast it didn't have the "five times" limit, which made it an infinite combo on everything.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Last Celebration posted:

Apparently the Rage move where they attack five times or until they don't have enough HP to cast it didn't have the "five times" limit, which made it an infinite combo on everything.

That's hilarious, because even with that limit I was still killing bosses with it in two turns. And the first turn was just setting up buffs and debuffs before the actual damage started

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How is the iOS port ofDragon Quest 4?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you pre-ordered Curtain Call from Square's website, you might wanna look out because they've been shipping them. I got my copy today and man is the pouch super nice.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's DQ4 ds on iOS. It has the features that were taken out of the original ds release as well such as party talk, which is pretty huge. It's the definitive version of DQ4 in English, go for it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

My friend is playing it on iPad and hasn't ragequit by chapter 5, seems fine to me. I'd rather have physical controls but touch isn't bad for RPGs.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Beef Waifu posted:

If you pre-ordered Curtain Call from Square's website, you might wanna look out because they've been shipping them. I got my copy today and man is the pouch super nice.

Lucky. I am waiting for digital so I still have to wait.

Theatrythm, the best Final Fantasy game since FFX, ladies and gentleman.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Edit: double post

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just FYI when you guys pick up the game (I know this is like three days in advance), but your team selection is actually what chooses the songs you get first. Like my team is Lightning, Zidane, Cloud, and WoL so I have the FF1, FF7, FF9, and FF13 soundtracks as music options with no other sides.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The infamous Chapters 5-8 were actually worse than they were in the original and had even less in the way of new or redeeming content.

:gonk: They were worse?

Looking forward to Theatrhythm. Original looked interesting but I never got round to trying it so I decided to wait for the sequel.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

McDragon posted:

:gonk: They were worse?

All the optional boss fights and scenes in chapters 7 and 8? Not there in the original. It was Chapter 6 all over again, again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

With DQ4 I was just a bit weirded out that the entire game was in Portrait view but it actually is sort of a better fit for mobile games to be honest. I guess if that really bugs me I could switch it over to iPad too, can you transfer saves between devices that way on iOS?

Also was definitely going to buy Theatrhythm before I found out the Smash demo is coming the same week and I'm probably just going to play until Smash is out :shobon:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

With DQ4 I was just a bit weirded out that the entire game was in Portrait view but it actually is sort of a better fit for mobile games to be honest. I guess if that really bugs me I could switch it over to iPad too, can you transfer saves between devices that way on iOS?

Also was definitely going to buy Theatrhythm before I found out the Smash demo is coming the same week and I'm probably just going to play until Smash is out :shobon:

The iPad is also locked to portrait view. A weird design decision but I guess maybe saved some effort since the systems are otherwise so similar??? I was annoyed at first but it plays totally fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beef Waifu posted:

drat. I ordered from Amazon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Curtain Call has the Japanese version of 1000 Words, game's ruined, it's over, throw this game in the trash.

Nah for real though, this game is actually really nicely improved even if some of the unlocking stuff feels silly.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, I got mine in yesterday, too.

Would have been nice to have noticed it sitting on my front porch some point before about half an hour ago when I went to walk my dogs. :psyduck:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Curtain Call has the Japanese version of 1000 Words, game's ruined, it's over, throw this game in the trash.

Nah for real though, this game is actually really nicely improved even if some of the unlocking stuff feels silly.

How does that work then? You mentioned your team determining the song selection, is that just at the start and then you unlock other stuff or is it always "I want to play the Balamb Gardens song so I have to switch squall into the party now"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay so, the unlocking in this game is pretty silly and weird, but not difficult. You start out the game picking your party from the 14 protagonists of the FF main games (Shantotto being the rep of 11 and Y'Shtola being the 14 one), once you pick them you get to choose from tracks of one of the games the party chars each represent. You ONLY get to choose songs, you can't do versus at the start, you can't do quest medleys, hell you can't even check your settings until you get rhythmia. After about 500 Rhythmia, every other starting track unlocks and you get the game's setlist. Of course, you still have to unlock certain songs, but otherwise you get a very sizeable selection from tons of FF games.

Modes will unlock as you play on (I think I unlocked versus at 2000, it's not very tough). Character unlocking works a bit differently in this game though. You still unlock them through crystal obtaining, but you only need four crystals to unlock a character. This time though multiple characters are tied to different colors. By that I mean, like six characters can be on the red crystal and 5 can be attached to the green one. The characters you didn't choose for your starting party also become unlockable ones as well. Once you get four crystals you pick your character, you got them. Crystals are not hard to get either, they're the reward for like every quest melody and they're also unlockable in the songs during the quest medleys and even from just playing regular rear end songs.

They made things easier to unlock, but some of the unlockable decisions feel kind of silly or pointless. Still a good game though and if you'll excuse me I need to play Under the Weight from FFXIV some more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Interesting. I preordered the game some time ago from Amazon, looking forward to getting my hands on it. It's arrival is perfectly timed because I am moving across the country next week and I'm going to have a ton of down time during the trip, can't wait to get dumbass boss music from 30 years ago stuck in my head on loop

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How much Curtain Call demo playing do I have to do to unlock everything it unlocks in the main game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no clue because I did not play the demo.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Have any of you guys cried while playing it yet? Nobuo cried when playing the original.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Beef Waifu posted:

Okay so, the unlocking in this game is pretty silly and weird, but not difficult. You start out the game picking your party from the 14 protagonists of the FF main games (Shantotto being the rep of 11 and Y'Shtola being the 14 one), once you pick them you get to choose from tracks of one of the games the party chars each represent. You ONLY get to choose songs, you can't do versus at the start, you can't do quest medleys, hell you can't even check your settings until you get rhythmia. After about 500 Rhythmia, every other starting track unlocks and you get the game's setlist. Of course, you still have to unlock certain songs, but otherwise you get a very sizeable selection from tons of FF games.

Modes will unlock as you play on (I think I unlocked versus at 2000, it's not very tough). Character unlocking works a bit differently in this game though. You still unlock them through crystal obtaining, but you only need four crystals to unlock a character. This time though multiple characters are tied to different colors. By that I mean, like six characters can be on the red crystal and 5 can be attached to the green one. The characters you didn't choose for your starting party also become unlockable ones as well. Once you get four crystals you pick your character, you got them. Crystals are not hard to get either, they're the reward for like every quest melody and they're also unlockable in the songs during the quest medleys and even from just playing regular rear end songs.

They made things easier to unlock, but some of the unlockable decisions feel kind of silly or pointless. Still a good game though and if you'll excuse me I need to play Under the Weight from FFXIV some more.

As long as I don't have to spend literally the entire time I play the game doing some poo poo mode that only offers 5% of the content in the game to unlock poo poo then that's already a huge improvement.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

g0lbez posted:

As long as I don't have to spend literally the entire time I play the game doing some poo poo mode that only offers 5% of the content in the game to unlock poo poo then that's already a huge improvement.

Dark notes were really obnoxious, yes. They had potential but it was completely wasted by the fact that they didn't use the whole library for it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How much Curtain Call demo playing do I have to do to unlock everything it unlocks in the main game?

Does it even unlock anything? I remember a message mentioning something like that but I figured it was just a generic demo thing since the CC demo doesn't even save your progress.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

bloodychill posted:

Dark notes were really obnoxious, yes. They had potential but it was completely wasted by the fact that they didn't use the whole library for it.

Dark Notes personally pissed me off more by doing the opposite as well: for the most part, any difficult DN will have an exclusive song with an unique "Special" difficulty level, and while you can eventually unlock any of the said songs for Challenge as well, you can't play them on any of the normal difficulties, just the Special level that's used for a basis for the various DN difficulty adjustments. Quest Medley seems a lot more interesting overall, both because of the much more varied map and stuff that affects gameplay and because you're actually guaranteed to get something worthwhile out of them when you beat them for the first time, even if they take longer to beat. The overall EXP multiplier doesn't hurt either.

I haven't seen anyone else mention that you only need 4 crystals to unlock each character now and are thus thrown a number of freebies for just getting Rhytmia, I suppose that makes sense considering that everyone outside of the 4 characters you pick to start the game with need to be unlocked now, including the ones you didn't pick at the start of the game.

Kanfy posted:

Does it even unlock anything? I remember a message mentioning something like that but I figured it was just a generic demo thing since the CC demo doesn't even save your progress.

From what I understand, while the game doesn't save your scores for the 2 songs it has or anything, just playing it once allows you to pick from a wider selection of starting characters in the main game outside of the 14 you're offered.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AnotherGamer posted:

From what I understand, while the game doesn't save your scores for the 2 songs it has or anything, just playing it once allows you to pick from a wider selection of starting characters in the main game outside of the 14 you're offered.
I know for sure it unlocks one by just having save data, I just don't know if it unlocks others for doing stuff.

Also, it's really hard to get used to the button controls after having stylus instincts ingrained, I passed Egdar+Sabin's Theme first try on Ultimate with the stylus after a bunch of miserable button performances. Didn't do well, but my skills haven't totally atrophied.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
I never had much in the way of stylus instincts to begin with so switching over to buttons isn't really much of an issue. In addition to less ambiguous slide trigger detection, I also don't have to worry about slowly veering offcenter from the screen during parts with a lot of slide triggers and suddenly being unable to slide far enough in the direction the game wants me to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

I never had much in the way of stylus instincts to begin with so switching over to buttons isn't really much of an issue. In addition to less ambiguous slide trigger detection, I also don't have to worry about slowly veering offcenter from the screen during parts with a lot of slide triggers and suddenly being unable to slide far enough in the direction the game wants me to.

Are you talking about the arrows? I dunno how you could run out of space, you literally just need to do a tiny flick in the right direction

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Has Square just given up on porting War of the Lions to Android, or what?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gonkish posted:

Has Square just given up on porting War of the Lions to Android, or what?

That's all I can assume. It's been, what, a year and a half at this point? :(

E: Bringing it to the States, that is. It's been out on Android in Japan for a while now.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you talking about the arrows? I dunno how you could run out of space, you literally just need to do a tiny flick in the right direction

Well basically, I forget to move my hand back to the middle of the lower screen, and since tapping and holding work fine at any point of the screen, I don't notice it until too late. Furthermore, "tiny" flicks are never sufficient and I often fail to get them to register even with ridiculously exaggerated motions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

That's all I can assume. It's been, what, a year and a half at this point? :(

E: Bringing it to the States, that is. It's been out on Android in Japan for a while now.

This is the worst thing about Square Enix's mobile games. With the exception of Final Fantasy Type-0 on the PSP and the Dragon Quest games on the 3DS, you can be pretty sure all of their Japanese console and handheld games would be released in the US and Europe eventually, such as once their translations are finished. With mobile games it's completely hit or miss, and they give very little notice as to when they release anything.