Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A fun game I like to play is "see how long it takes to scroll down to the bottom of Viper's Spotify page"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSd0rteXBM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prBsyiMki2k
ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2GaRcueFPU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haha I never noticed it's "you'll cowards"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

A fun game I like to play is "see how long it takes to scroll down to the bottom of Viper's Spotify page"

going for two minutes, still sitting in 2014

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Basically this whole mixtape was fantastic, Dom Kennedy absolutely kills it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sgg4yE_9V8

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmVot36Iys

term and lil fame got a whole album coming out. this song was produced by none other than alc

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
New RTJ2 song: https://soundcloud.com/adultswimsingles/oh-my-darling-dont-cry

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
E: Motherfucker. ^^^

Run the Jewels f/ Michael Winslow — "Oh My Darling Don't Cry"

Yeah, THAT Michael Winslow.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
drat the production is insane on these RTJ2 tracks so far. I've never liked El-P production until he started working with killer kill.

edit: dat tempo change at the end :allears:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 15, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The production on this new RTJ track is insane; it reminds of Death Grips before they disappeared up their own asses entirely.

Also :lol: at those preorder packages

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I really wish RTJ2 was just a new Killer Mike album, but that production is a banger.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Holy smokes

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

jesus christ it just keeps going and getting better and better. the part at 2:43 sounds incredible

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Yall herd this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndvr2Bj8IIY

Mike kills it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

yeah, I posted this a while back and nobody cared. but hey at least I beat you on something for once :downs:

I agree though, Killer Mike hasn't done a bad verse in ages (ever?)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That remix sucks only because they took out Young Thug's verse and kept in Top Informant's

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
R&B

How do people like Jhene Aiko? She is pretty controversial in parts I frequent. People either love or hate her. I think she's mediocre but entertaining for some reason. She did embarrass herself at SummerJam and I think her sister Mila J is cuter. That's all have to say about her. You probably never heard of Tinashe. I have no clue who this girl is. I joke that she must be signed to Instagram because that's the only place I've seen her. She has a small fanbase though. Obligatory song. In other "forced upon singer" news, Sza is pretty weird. I guess everyone knows her from TDE but I've heard some funny gossip about her. She joked about killing herself and even SchoolboyQ sobered up for it. Anybody listen to her music? It didn't have any appeal to me.

But my favorite of D list R&B singers has to be Teyana Taylor. I heard a Teyana Taylor song on the radio! I couldn't believe it. She started out as Pharell's pet project, I guess flopped, moved on to a flop mixtape that took forever to come out, did some hoodrat things in LA for whatever reason, was allegedly engaged to a ball player, proceed to spend the bulk of her career talking about that ball player, and now she has a real life song on the radio! Probably best know for her cute butte and her role in some dumb movie. I guess she's winning now.

That's all for my update about the sorry state of R&B!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

R&B

How do people like Jhene Aiko? She is pretty controversial in parts I frequent. People either love or hate her. I think she's mediocre but entertaining for some reason. She did embarrass herself at SummerJam and I think her sister Mila J is cuter. That's all have to say about her. You probably never heard of Tinashe. I have no clue who this girl is. I joke that she must be signed to Instagram because that's the only place I've seen her. She has a small fanbase though. Obligatory song. In other "forced upon singer" news, Sza is pretty weird. I guess everyone knows her from TDE but I've heard some funny gossip about her. She joked about killing herself and even SchoolboyQ sobered up for it. Anybody listen to her music? It didn't have any appeal to me.

But my favorite of D list R&B singers has to be Teyana Taylor. I heard a Teyana Taylor song on the radio! I couldn't believe it. She started out as Pharell's pet project, I guess flopped, moved on to a flop mixtape that took forever to come out, did some hoodrat things in LA for whatever reason, was allegedly engaged to a ball player, proceed to spend the bulk of her career talking about that ball player, and now she has a real life song on the radio! Probably best know for her cute butte and her role in some dumb movie. I guess she's winning now.

That's wild about the SZA girl cause the last R&B chick TDE signed did kill herself (jumped off a tower in LA, it's Ab-Soul's gf that he sings about in "Book of Soul"). Joke or not seems kinda poor taste esp. given they already had someone off themselves.

And IMO the biggest problem with R&B is that anything with white people/popularity gets categorized as "pop", and a bunch of what R&B used to do also got subsumed by rap. You'd get features on songs that end up being like 75% of the vocals from rappers, or rappers doing a bunch of singing and it's hard to separate them.

Like the only real difference between the girls you talked about and Beyonce/Rhianna is about 500 million record sales or w/e.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'll confess that my understanding of what constitutes R&B is probably the fuzziest of any genre. The best definition I can muster is that it involves soulful singing... which is a pathetic attempt at definition. Anyway, It'd be great if someone more knowledgable could throw together some resources for the OP.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

temple posted:

R&B

i have no idea who the hell tinashe is either but i love her song on 10 summers: https://soundcloud.com/kel-mel-reviews/dj-mustard-tinashe-checks-in-full-track

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

temple posted:

R&B

You heard much of FKA Twigs? Only just heard of her after a Fantano review and liked a few of her songs. She does sound like an Aaliyah-lite version at times but that's no bad thing in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc FKA Twigs - Two Weeks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtMl-uipA8 FKA Twigs - Water Me

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
FKA twigs is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6H9YsTLek

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Apparently Gucci got 3 more years for the bottle smashing incident.

Worst Monday ever

http://www.gafollowers.com/gucci-mane-3-more-years/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Doesn't matter, this thread now hates Gucci.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHLlTDyw9U

Free 2006 Gucci.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Apparently Gucci got 3 more years for the bottle smashing incident.

:doh:

we're gonna be in double digits on all of his mixtape franchises by the time he gets out

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

temple posted:

R&B

How do people like Jhene Aiko?

She is literally the R&B equivalent of weed rap in female form, she even attempts to 'flow' in several Sail Out tracks, the last one being titled as a Freestyle (haha yeah ok) even. That being said if you do happen to be on weed and possibly with a lady friend her music has a really great vibe despite her questionable vocal talent. This is coming from the perspective of having an R&B obsessed girlfriend who constantly judges who can and cannot actually sing in R&B since most of it is solely the product of good production these days (Ne-Yo). She listens to it all anyway and it's kind of rubbed off on me.

She's a die hard Maxwell fan but since he's never dropping anything ever again she's been pretty into the Weeknd these past few years (even though he apparently also can't actually sing). He dropped some cool songs this year that are nothing special but they groove and if you like any other of his projects there's not a good chance you'd hate Often or King of the Fall. FWIW she mentioned that One Tinashe song a few times so I guess that's all she has!

I heard Teyana Taylor in this Cruel Summer track and I liked it so there's that. Ummm, Frank Ocean is really big obviously but he like quit making music for a while too ?? IDK I'm just going to assume recording R&B is like painfully boring or something because no one seems to want to keep doing it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Amateur Saboteur posted:

She is literally the R&B equivalent of weed rap in female form, she even attempts to 'flow' in several Sail Out tracks, the last one being titled as a Freestyle (haha yeah ok) even. That being said if you do happen to be on weed and possibly with a lady friend her music has a really great vibe despite her questionable vocal talent. This is coming from the perspective of having an R&B obsessed girlfriend who constantly judges who can and cannot actually sing in R&B since most of it is solely the product of good production these days (Ne-Yo). She listens to it all anyway and it's kind of rubbed off on me.

She's a die hard Maxwell fan but since he's never dropping anything ever again she's been pretty into the Weeknd these past few years (even though he apparently also can't actually sing). He dropped some cool songs this year that are nothing special but they groove and if you like any other of his projects there's not a good chance you'd hate Often or King of the Fall. FWIW she mentioned that One Tinashe song a few times so I guess that's all she has!

I heard Teyana Taylor in this Cruel Summer track and I liked it so there's that. Ummm, Frank Ocean is really big obviously but he like quit making music for a while too ?? IDK I'm just going to assume recording R&B is like painfully boring or something because no one seems to want to keep doing it.

Frank Ocean is supposed to be releasing an album this year. In terms of R&B, the only new artists I've really been digging (outside of Frank and Weeknd) is FKA Twigs and Autre Ne Veut. I really wanted to get into that recent How to Dress Well album but Tom Krell's singing voice is distractingly bad.

Jhene Aiko and SZA are boring and mediocre, and I don't really feel like their music has any appeal outside of passable rap hooks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

thathonkey posted:

I'll confess that my understanding of what constitutes R&B is probably the fuzziest of any genre. The best definition I can muster is that it involves soulful singing... which is a pathetic attempt at definition. Anyway, It'd be great if someone more knowledgable could throw together some resources for the OP.

Outside of using wikipedia, the rule of thumb I use is music that sounds like Michael Jackson pre-Thriller is r&b and anything that sounds like MJ post-Thriller is pop. Honorable mention to Whitney Houston. From singing in church, r&b and soul (by way of gospel) sings each word as a note. You can stretch a word into multiple notes and do a run. But how that relates to pop, I don't know. I am ignorant to music theory so I can't really explain it any better. It is a really interesting question I've always wondered myself.

FKA Twigs is cool but a lot of these newer singers are too complicated for me to enjoy.

alansmithee posted:

That's wild about the SZA girl cause the last R&B chick TDE signed did kill herself (jumped off a tower in LA, it's Ab-Soul's gf that he sings about in "Book of Soul"). Joke or not seems kinda poor taste esp. given they already had someone off themselves.
Yeah I heard the same story. She allegedly has a rep for screwing her way through TDE and somebody from the internet posted a bunch of pics of her as a teenager and refuted her claim to having a strict upbringing. It is pretty funny when gossip gets confirmed but then again, people are jealous.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 15, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

thathonkey posted:

:doh:

we're gonna be in double digits on all of his mixtape franchises by the time he gets out

so that means Gucci in jail till probably 2018-2020. That's hosed.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

No one knows where the Slaughterhouse album (executive producer was Just Blaze) went, but that's okay because it seems we are getting some kind of project (EP?) with DJ Premier and Royce Da 5'9"(!)

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/09/dj-premier-royce-da-5-9

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Robawesome posted:

so that means Gucci in jail till probably 2018-2020. That's hosed.

That's a top 5 gucci mixtape cover.

According to this he'll be surviving the 3 year assault charge along side his other charge so maybe we're in luck
http://www.atlnightspots.com/gucci-mane-pleads-guilty-aggravated-assault-gets-3-years/

Also this picture from the article is awesome

Free Gucci Manedela

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 15, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Honestly I've always been impressed with Gucci's mixtape covers. Whoever does the design work for 1017 is pretty talented and you gotta give them credit for not phoning it in on such uninspiring concepts as "Trap [noun] [1-5]"

Also if it's true that Frank Ocean has an album coming out this year then I am really stoked. Channel Orange is one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Maybe 2014 won't be a wash after all (although it seems evident that RTJ2 will be one of the best rap releases).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

A Handed Missus posted:

No one knows where the Slaughterhouse album (executive producer was Just Blaze) went, but that's okay because it seems we are getting some kind of project (EP?) with DJ Premier and Royce Da 5'9"(!)

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/09/dj-premier-royce-da-5-9

Goddamn, sounds amazing.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I really wish RTJ2 was just a new Killer Mike album, but that production is a banger.

Mike has said R.A.P 2 is up next after the tour. But you can tell they are just having too much fun doing RTJ.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

TenaciousTomato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmVot36Iys

term and lil fame got a whole album coming out. this song was produced by none other than alc

One of my close mates was always really into Termanology and I never really got it, but 'I rock mics' with Sean Price and Lil Fame was a really nice track so I'm looking forward to this.

thathonkey posted:

Honestly I've always been impressed with Gucci's mixtape covers. Whoever does the design work for 1017 is pretty talented and you gotta give them credit for not phoning it in on such uninspiring concepts as "Trap [noun] [1-5]"

Also if it's true that Frank Ocean has an album coming out this year then I am really stoked. Channel Orange is one of my favorite albums of the past few years. Maybe 2014 won't be a wash after all (although it seems evident that RTJ2 will be one of the best rap releases).

Gotta admit, I didn't think Run the Jewels was that great

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I don't normally like El-P's rapping either but it works in short bursts on RTJ :shrug: I think he tries extra hard since Mike is such an impressive MC. Anyway, I'm sure R.A.P 2 will be produced by El-P so it should fill the gap for you.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

im actually super loving the more airy/drunk/spacious phase r&b is in these days. i like aiko a whole lot but ive only given her new album a one-time through. people like fka twigs and kelala (+ that jeremih/shlohmo jawn that came out not too long ago) with that floaty/underwater feeling are really what im after these days.

also forreal guys that new chris brown album has some great songs on it. it also has some really bad songs on it but i think its worth a check-out.
e: i dunno how long this link is gonna stay up but this is one of my fav jams from x

Antequek
May 30, 2014
Not sure if this 100% counts as R&B but seeing as we've been kinda speaking in loose terms I think it fits.
You guys might wanna check out Charles bradley he's got a great voice and puts a lot of emotion behind his songs.
Not sure exactly what his story was but I know he went through a lot of hardships even being beaten to an inch of his life by random teenagers.
One day he just went to an open mic and boom, career! I saw him live at bumbershoot and he was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdTVmSVq14

Fun fact this next song has the same instrumental as Faith by Kendrick lamar off the Kendrick Lamar EP
(not sure who created/used it first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Z2dFyfZ5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Deniro x Denzel

https://soundcloud.com/denirofarrarmusic/deniro-farrar-and-denzel-curry-feel-like-that

Bow Down tour started recently too.