Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Looks like we're both right, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If we watch it like that, we'll never know what type of food offering the various flavors on the Soup Nazi's wall represented :smith:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I recall there was discussion when Star Trek: TNG was remastered about releasing it in widescreen. They didn't, because it just wasn't filmed with 16:9 in mind and it wouldn't look right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtWeor58rU&t=26s

Obviously, TNG is a very different show than The Wire, but it makes sense to not do 16:9 for something that was filmed with 4:3 in mind.

[edit] I somehow missed someone else who said exactly this, 3 days ago. :downs:

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 5, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Ithaqua posted:

I recall there was discussion when Star Trek: TNG was remastered about releasing it in widescreen. They didn't, because it just wasn't filmed with 16:9 in mind and it wouldn't look right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtWeor58rU&t=26s

Obviously, TNG is a very different show than The Wire, but it makes sense to not do 16:9 for something that was filmed with 4:3 in mind.

[edit] I somehow missed someone else who said exactly this, 3 days ago. :downs:

Yeah but you also posted that really helpful video I forgot about, of someone who actually gets paid to make these decisions saying why they're made. Thanks!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Marlo makes an appearance in episode 4 of The Strain. With a grill. Vague hint that it might be the start of something more than a one-off... we can hope anyway.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So how many times have people rewatched the show? I think I'm somewhere between 8 or 10. Just finished the first season again. Its crazy I don't usually do this but for some reason its still entertaining. I could probably do a one man show and get it line for line at this point but its still awesome. I don't know what the gently caress.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This is my third re-watch (I think?) and it's actually pretty inconvenient. I found this thread which made me want to watch the first season again, and then I had to watch the second...and the third...and now I'm up to the last episode of the series.

I convinced my friend to start watching, at least the first three episodes, and so I gave myself a refresher on what happened the first three and I almost got stuck into re-watching it AGAIN right near the end of season 5.

The catch is that this whole time I've been rewatching it I've been :toxx:'d into watching the entirety of Tales From The Crypt (7 seasons!). I keep putting off watching episodes since I find The Wire so much more interesting and now I have roughly a week and a half to watch about 23 half hour long episodes.

I can do it, but it should've been done a month ago.

What I'm wondering now is what I'll be watching after both these series. Should I catch up on Person of Interest? Should I start Justified? Should I chisel away at my gigantic backlog of anime?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Deadwood. The Shield. Arrested Development. Game of Thrones. THE WIRE AGAIN. Boom bam Bing. Oh and Six Feet Under is pretty awesome.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

MrSlam posted:

What I'm wondering now is what I'll be watching after both these series. Should I catch up on Person of Interest? Should I start Justified? Should I chisel away at my gigantic backlog of anime?

I would strongly suggest Justified. It's a really fun show. The first few episodes of the first season are kind of episodic and random(still good though, especially Long In The Tooth) but after that it gets serialized and even better. The last season (season 5) had it's missteps but was still good overall. Seasons 2-4 are some of my favorite seasons of television.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I caught up on Justified just recently and it's a lot of fun, though the last season seemed to lose a lot of focus. I'm not sure if it is wrong that I find Boyd Crowder a far more interesting character than Raylan or not.

Edit: Also it did what I thought was impossible and included Michael Rapaport in a recurring role that didn't somehow get the show immediately canceled.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 12, 2014

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
How is it that 16:9 and 4:3 is not the same. The ratios are the same. I dont get it.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

vuk83 posted:

How is it that 16:9 and 4:3 is not the same. The ratios are the same.

No.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Marlo was also on Heroes, but not the good season.

vuk83 posted:

How is it that 16:9 and 4:3 is not the same. The ratios are the same. I dont get it.

No you just dont get math dude

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

vuk83 posted:

1.777... and 1.333... are not the same number.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
I just finished watching the series finale. It was my first run after catching end of season one episode couple months back on our national broadcasters Nth rerun of the show. Got hooked, caught up from the beginning and finished just now. Glad I did because that was some drat fine TV.

I've got nothing to add to that what people have written of the show for years, just that I knew of the shows massive praise and it actually managed to surpass its reputation.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Its funny I always thought the show was a British show about spies so I was like "gently caress that". I still don't know why. Because it was HBO I gave it a quick youtube watch of the first scene years later and Snot Boogie changed my TV life forevor. How does that work.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I started another rewatch because why the hell not... I never noticed that the first guy they show Kima, Herc, and Carver busting appears to offer Herc a bribe?

It's never mentioned again though I don't think but that's pretty funny if Herc just pockets the money. I don't think it's very common to successfully bribe a cop like that in the US?

Edit; Later when D and Wee-bey are riding in his Mercedes and D starts talking about how they worked the security guard. Wee-bey turns up the music in case the car is bugged just like Sevino does later when Kima goes undercover. Barksdale crew was disciplined just like Marlo's.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 13, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey guys. Massive fan of the show, watched it three times through since the original run. But right now I need Colvin's quote about "when a police knew his people, and got information from his people..." etc. I can't for the life of me remember when he says this, and I can't find the quote on Google. Any help? Thanks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blue squares posted:

Hey guys. Massive fan of the show, watched it three times through since the original run. But right now I need Colvin's quote about "when a police knew his people, and got information from his people..." etc. I can't for the life of me remember when he says this, and I can't find the quote on Google. Any help? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he says it at one of the town hall meetings (either that or when he's doing his "paper bag" speech).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

blue squares posted:

Your paraphrasing of the quote isn't quite right but I don't remember the exact phrasing either. There are a couple speeches kind of like this but I think the one you're referring to is when Colvin is talking to Carver (season 3) about how police need the community to trust them so that they'll be willing to cooperate when some real bad poo poo happens. Something to that effect?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Exactly

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thank you!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MrSlam posted:

If you haven't seen True Detective I would put that above anything else. It's the best TV since the Wire in my opinion. I actually think it's the single strongest season of TV I've ever seen.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Make sure you also watch the new Rust Cohle Lincoln commercials... so hypnotic and soothing, just like driving the Dreamland Highway to R'lyeh.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Unzip and Attack posted:

If you haven't seen True Detective I would put that above anything else. It's the best TV since the Wire in my opinion. I actually think it's the single strongest season of TV I've ever seen.

Better than the second and fourth seasons of The Wire? :colbert:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Currently on what must be my third rewatch over maybe 6 or 7 years with my girlfriend, and it's her first time. Something I've noticed now that maybe I didn't before—and maybe people here will see it differently—but Colvin seemed like a pretty lovely Major before Hamsterdam. I got the feeling this time that he saw his district go to poo poo and didn't stop it. So many examples of abuse and bad behavior and rip & run bullshit that we see him witness and do nothing about. Anybody else get this vibe?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Based on the way other characters treated him, I think he was a really good cop who did go through a few years of feeling lost, ineffective, and started slipping.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Currently on what must be my third rewatch over maybe 6 or 7 years with my girlfriend, and it's her first time. Something I've noticed now that maybe I didn't before—and maybe people here will see it differently—but Colvin seemed like a pretty lovely Major before Hamsterdam. I got the feeling this time that he saw his district go to poo poo and didn't stop it. So many examples of abuse and bad behavior and rip & run bullshit that we see him witness and do nothing about. Anybody else get this vibe?

His hands were tied, just like everyone else's. He was brought up juking the stats just like everyone else, because that's just how things went. Sure, he's lovely, and he watched his district go to poo poo, but that doesn't make him any worse than anybody else. The show mentions multiple times that no one climbs that high in the ranks without some dirt on them.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

MrSlam posted:

My answers are pretty similar to others in the thread.

Do you want something that you really have to pay attention to--the kind of show, like The Wire, where you make new connections each time you watch it? Game of Thrones.
Something that's about cops, and similar in quality of writing? True Detective.
Something that's another analysis of American society? Deadwood.
Something fun? Justified.
Something suspenseful? Breaking Bad.
Political? House of Cards.
Something full of sex, swords, fighting, and commentary on class structure? Rome and Spartacus.
edit: There's also Mad Men if you're up for a period-piece soap opera. I didn't like it very much, but I do admire it.

I thought for sure television peaked somewhere in the last decade, when HBO had the monopoly on outstanding shows, but it somehow keeps getting better. It's the place for long-form story-telling now and it's a great time for entertainment.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 15, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

blue squares posted:

Based on the way other characters treated him, I think he was a really good cop who did go through a few years of feeling lost, ineffective, and started slipping.

Hard Clumping posted:

His hands were tied, just like everyone else's. He was brought up juking the stats just like everyone else, because that's just how things went. Sure, he's lovely, and he watched his district go to poo poo, but that doesn't make him any worse than anybody else. The show mentions multiple times that no one climbs that high in the ranks without some dirt on them.

Well yeah I know his hands were tied and the problem is rooted in the system/institution and not necessarily him, but I got to the third season and was thinking great, now I'll get to see Colvin be badass but man for the whole first half of that season he just gets poo poo on. I suppose my memory of him from the second half of season three and then in season four made me forget what he and his district were like pre-Hamsterdam.

And he's definitely not worse than anyone else; that's not what I was getting at. Just that he was a worse Major than I remember.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Does anybody else think that that episode when they show Stringer Bell's library with Wealth of the nations, and him attending economics classes are just like... uh... Trying to hard, and ending up looking dumb? It's kind of if like they were trying to say "look at this criminal mastermind motherfucker, reading Adam Smith and poo poo, and he also knows about economics, he's got the academic knowledge AND the street wisdom". Adam Smith is loving centuries old and yeah, it's a classic of economics, but it's not like they're showing some loving cutting edge economist that is all the hot poo poo with neocons nowadays, which would have made more sense (like putting forward the whole idea of wanting to have a completely deregulated, outside of the state market, with drugs and poo poo).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

KaosPV posted:

Does anybody else think that that episode when they show Stringer Bell's library with Wealth of the nations, and him attending economics classes are just like... uh... Trying to hard, and ending up looking dumb? It's kind of if like they were trying to say "look at this criminal mastermind motherfucker, reading Adam Smith and poo poo, and he also knows about economics, he's got the academic knowledge AND the street wisdom". Adam Smith is loving centuries old and yeah, it's a classic of economics, but it's not like they're showing some loving cutting edge economist that is all the hot poo poo with neocons nowadays, which would have made more sense (like putting forward the whole idea of wanting to have a completely deregulated, outside of the state market, with drugs and poo poo).

That's the point of that scene, and a good callback to the Gatsby stuff covered in Dee's jailbird book club.

Like Gatsby, he probably never read any of them.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

KaosPV posted:

Does anybody else think that that episode when they show Stringer Bell's library with Wealth of the nations, and him attending economics classes are just like... uh... Trying to hard, and ending up looking dumb?

You've almost got it...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

KaosPV posted:

Not really. Somebody else made a better post about this same subject, but basically these scenes exemplify Stringer wanting to jump outside of the life he was born into. Taking economics classes at a community college does not an expert business man make. This is demonstrated later in the season when he gets easily played by much smarter players in the arena he's trying to enter. Stringer is from the street and happens to pick up a few nuggets of wisdom that anybody with a basic understanding of business and economics already knows. Yet he wants desperately to transpire that lifestyle but ultimately fails at it. He isn't even able to implement any of these simple business parables into the drug enterprise that he controls. I'm sure somebody else can dig up a more articulate analysis but yeah, I think those scenes are crucial to Stringer's character.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 15, 2014

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
That's not entirely true, Stringer does implement some of the stuff he learns. That's where he got the rebranding and false competition ideas, from talking to his professor.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

thathonkey posted:

Not really. Somebody else made a better post about this same subject, but basically these scenes exemplify Stringer wanting to jump outside of the life he was born into. Taking economics classes at a community college does not an expert business man make. This is demonstrated later in the season when he gets easily played by much smarter players in the arena he's trying to enter. Stringer is from the street and happens to pick up a few nuggets of wisdom that anybody with a basic understanding of business and economics already knows. Yet he wants desperately to transpire that lifestyle but ultimately fails at it. He isn't even able to implement any of these simple business parables into the drug enterprise that he controls. I'm sure somebody else can dig up a more articulate analysis but yeah, I think those scenes are crucial to Stringer's character.

Cool, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, I obviously saw him being outplayed, I just didn't get that the intention of putting the book on the shelf or him taking classes was kind of showing the futility of him trying to rise above the level he was doomed to stay in. In a way, the show was actually making fun of the cliché I thought I was seeing (the one with "he comes from the streets but he's also a businessman genius! careful guys!").

Thanks for elaborating it.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Blind Melon posted:

That's not entirely true, Stringer does implement some of the stuff he learns. That's where he got the rebranding and false competition ideas, from talking to his professor.

Yeah, I guess those kind of things were the ones that were pushing me towards my previous idea. But I think thathonkey got it right, and maybe those "ideas he implemented" were just lucky guesses or stabs in the dark he took. Kind of like making him delusional he was actually that businessman genius, until he got, well... rain danced. Gotta love that dialogue, btw.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

KaosPV posted:

Yeah, I guess those kind of things were the ones that were pushing me towards my previous idea. But I think thathonkey got it right, and maybe those "ideas he implemented" were just lucky guesses or stabs in the dark he took. Kind of like making him delusional he was actually that businessman genius, until he got, well... rain danced. Gotta love that dialogue, btw.

He kinda tried to run when he should have been crawling. The basic economics stuff (rebranding etc) worked for him where he was at, going into property development didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Also, think about D's conversation about the Great Gatsby back in season two, where he talks about how Gatsby fronted with all the books. He's describing Stringer even though he doesn't know it.

edit: Crumbleton, I somehow completely missed your post. Sorry.