Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I thought there was a ton of back story and it was a major event with loads of comics and tpb's spinning out of it...? Maybe what I'll do when I get home later is post the x men and avengers I do own and you guys can suggest a reading order, or one or two purchases that would enrich the experience? I have 15 hours of flights on Thursday and Friday and look forward to diving into this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

BadAstronaut posted:

I thought there was a ton of back story and it was a major event with loads of comics and tpb's spinning out of it...? Maybe what I'll do when I get home later is post the x men and avengers I do own and you guys can suggest a reading order, or one or two purchases that would enrich the experience? I have 15 hours of flights on Thursday and Friday and look forward to diving into this...
Not really... It's part of Bendis' Avengers run, which kicked off with Disassembled (Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503). It was published around the time that New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men were running, but it really has nothing to do with anything which was happening in those books at the time, aside from the line-ups. The other thing is that it's an alternate reality story, so even if there was a ton of backstory, it would be irrelevant to what happens in House of M, since you're thrown to that reality at the end of #1.

Like I said, there were a lot of tie-ins (which fleshed out the world of House of M), but most of the ones I read were not very good. The Spidey tie-in was pretty good because it had a great premise. Also, at the time there was a book called District X, which was about Bishop being a cop in the Mutant ghetto. During House of M, there was a tie-in mini to that called Mutopia X, which was also quite good from what I remember. After HoM, District X was cancelled though.

The fallout from it, Decimation, had a couple of interesting moments, but sort of sucked in general. It only really affected the X-Men too. There was some post-House of M stuff in New Avengers (starting in issue #16 I think), but again it wasn't great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you're looking for something to read then you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers through to Infinity, because it's about a billion times better than House of M.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

If you're looking for something to read then you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers through to Infinity, because it's about a billion times better than House of M.

Seconding this.

Just read the House of M miniseries if you already have it, and then stop with Bendis Avengers.
There was some good stuff along the way (I had fun in Dark Reign, especially with Secret Warriors,) but I don't think doing his whole thing is really worth the time in hindsight.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hickman's is much better, but I do have a soft spot for Bendis' original New Avengers run. It's all on Marvel Unlimited, so if you want a decent, light introduction to the modern Marvel universe, I think it's a good starting point. Everything Bendis did after that is not worth your time, however.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't say "stop with Bendis" after House of M, I still think New Avengers was mostly fantastic (Vol. 1, at least). It's just a problem because as soon as there's an interesting status quo for the book, another event comes along and changes it, and the event books get worse as time goes on. House of M itself though, outside of the main mini, is nothing remarkable. It's worth reading, sure, but if you're looking for a long epic with a lot of lead-in and fall-out to take up a 15 hour flight, you're not going to find it there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

House of M itself though, outside of the main mini, is nothing remarkable. It's worth reading, sure, but if you're looking for a long epic with a lot of lead-in and fall-out to take up a 15 hour flight, you're not going to find it there.

You will, however, find it in Planet Hulk.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

irlZaphod posted:

House of M is pretty much self-contained, the only thing which leads into it really is Avengers: Disassembled, and even at that it's basically just Scarlet Witch goes crazy and kills some people.

I wouldn't really read much outside of the main House of M mini really, either. A lot of the rest of it was pretty crap to be honest. I think Mark Waid did a HoM: Spider-Man series which wasn't bad. The one-shot Brubaker did in his Cap run was pretty great too (that was actually what got me reading his Cap, funnily enough).

I think the Fantastic/Frightful Four mini series was also really good, since it's a villain on villain story.

If you want a sympathetic take on Mystique the Wolverine House of M stuff is also pretty good. ( I honestly thought that Jason Aaron was going to reference it during his Wolverine run as an explanation for why Wolverine leaves Mystique alive at the end.)

Hulk's House of M stuff was written by Peter David (the first Hulk stuff he had done in a while I think) so that's sort of notable in that regard.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Hulk House of M is pretty great, Hulk becomes president of Australia. I always get sad when people say all the tie ins to House of M suck and don't mention Hulk as an exception with Spider-man.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You don't really need much backstory for House of M, partly because it's an alternate reality, and partly because it itself is backstory for a bunch of X-Men stories up through AvX. There's a very important three word phrase in the final issue; you'll know it when you see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You probably already know it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shawn posted:

Hulk House of M is pretty great, Hulk becomes president of Australia. I always get sad when people say all the tie ins to House of M suck and don't mention Hulk as an exception with Spider-man.
poo poo, I'm pretty sure I probably read this because it's when I started reading Hulk too. Maybe I'll have to dig it out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is going back a few weeks, but I have found story where Loki wields Mjolnir. Not a fake, not a "Odin lets him do it for a while", but legitimately going around hammering guys.

Thor 179-181, Loki pulls a Face/Off with Thor and they swap faces. Somehow this is sufficient to confuse Mjolnir and Loki can wield the hammer while Thor cannot. The story is resolved when Loki lets the hammer slip away for sixty seconds and that turns Thor with Loki's face back into Don Blake.

No, this story makes absolutely no sense with how Mjolnir is later portrayed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
[Iconic Character] replaced with [NEW VERSION OF ICONIC CHARACTER] is old as balls, whether it's one-off stories about WHAT IF JIMMY OLSEN BECOMES SUPERMAN? or The International League of Batmen or whatever else. By the 1970s you'd have actual arcs of Hal Jordan being replaced with John Stewart or Steve Rogers quitting or Wonder Woman losing her crown.

What really happened in the 1980s was the desire to exploit every possible piece of IP possible, so obviously all the replacement Green Lanterns stuck around, Replacement Iron Man became War Machine, Replacement Captain America became USAgent, Replacement Thors became Beta Ray Bill and Thunderstrike, etc.

While there is doubtlessly an element of THE CLASSICS NEVER DIE/reaffirmation of the character's purity in some of these (Captain America stands for the ideal of America, not Rambo-tinted Reagan-era jingoism, an attempted repudiation of 'Why Doesn't Batman Kill?") a lot of them were just something to do/an attempt at a sales boost. I mean, I doubt the story of James Rhodes becoming Iron Man was to stifle the clamor of "Why isn't there a black Iron Man?" and while Superman was clearly languishing in the early 1990s, I don't think a single fan ever said "I mean I would be into superman if half his face was a metal skull, or he was a brilliant scientist, or if he had Dwayne Wayne glasses and an earring." If I recall they didn't even have the "Reign of the Superman" thing worked out when they went "let's kill him off while we vamp until the wedding", and 3/4 of the fake Superman stuck around for years as heroes, two of them with long-running series. I know Azrael stuck around foreverrrrrrrr as a solo book too, but at least Knightsend (and Gruenwald's Cap story) had a clear in-panel "YOUR WAY IS NOT THE WAY" moral, Superman basically fist-bumped 75% of his ersatz crew and went "thanks for filling in for me bros, there's a little Superman in all of you! ;)"

And in terms of "well, it was the 1990s" I don't really know if that is a factor as much as just a blatant attempt at DC and Marvel to try to maintain market share. They did the same thing (particularly at Marvel) in the 1980s in terms of spreading out their monthly output to choke out indies with lots of prestige reprints and additional titles for their big characters, adding extra Spider-X-Bat-Justice-Titans books all the time. By the time Image (and briefly Valiant and let's be honest, no one else really) started threatening their market share, they were already putting out a dozen Spider-Man and X-Men books a month, so in an attempt to differentiate some of them they tried giving books to Venom and Sabretooth and Deadpool and Green Goblin and Thunderstrike and the Thor Corps and etc. etc. etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 16, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

If I recall they didn't even have the "Reign of the Superman" thing worked out when they went "let's kill him off while we vamp until the wedding"
That's true, but I don't think it excludes Reign of the Supermen's moral being "oh just stop saying Superman is old-fashioned and yada yada yada, he's not, we'll prove it". That was definitely in the atmosphere at the time and I think they reacted.

quote:

3/4 of the fake Superman stuck around for years as heroes, two of them with long-running series. I know Azrael stuck around foreverrrrrrrr as a solo book too, but at least Knightsend (and Gruenwald's Cap story) had a clear in-panel "YOUR WAY IS NOT THE WAY" moral, Superman basically fist-bumped 75% of his ersatz crew and went "thanks for filling in for me bros, there's a little Superman in all of you! ;)"
I'd argue that that comes down to one of the differences between Superman and Batman that I've always thought was under-examined and really interesting: The complete gulf between how they view their own heroic... "brand", for lack of a better word.

Batman is a fiercely singular identity; only one man can wear the mantle -- I think it's super telling that of all Bruce's sidekicks over the years, the girls are allowed to use Bat-iconography but the boys have to find something completely different. If there's no chance you can be Batman, whatever, he doesn't care, but he's fiercely protective of his turf. (Batwing's an exception, but again, a single glance is enough to tell you that that's not the Batman.)

Superman, on the other hand, lets anyone who wants it wear the shield, so long as they stay worthy of it. It's not a mantle to him, it's a family. Clark wants everyone to be Superman:

I think that's basically the Superman thesis statement.

Batman works for a world where nobody has to be Batman, Superman works for one where everyone gets to be Superman. I think it's key to understanding them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Superman doesn't have super-kerning I guess.

CapnAndy posted:

Batman is a fiercely singular identity; only one man can wear the mantle -- I think it's super telling that of all Bruce's sidekicks over the years, the girls are allowed to use Bat-iconography but the boys have to find something completely different. If there's no chance you can be Batman, whatever, he doesn't care, but he's fiercely protective of his turf. (Batwing's an exception, but again, a single glance is enough to tell you that that's not the Batman.)
I don't know about that; Incorporated has him literally turn his identity into a franchise.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know about that; Incorporated has him literally turn his identity into a franchise.
Yeah, and look how quick that got undone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

Superman, on the other hand, lets anyone who wants it wear the shield, so long as they stay worthy of it. It's not a mantle to him, it's a family. Clark wants everyone to be Superman:

I think that's basically the Superman thesis statement.

He's no better than Chairface Chippendale. :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Superman doesn't have super-kerning I guess.

Also look at how quickly Dick Grayson lasted as Batman.

edit: I'm giggling to myself at the idea of people looking up at the moon and thinking "those are pretty awesome words Superman, but who the gently caress is Clark Kent and why should I listen to him?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Also look at how quickly Dick Grayson lasted as Batman.

edit: I'm giggling to myself at the idea of people looking up at the moon and thinking "those are pretty awesome words Superman, but who the gently caress is Clark Kent and why should I listen to him?"

Like anyone would be able to read it anyway. Here's roughly what it would look like from the earth:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Like anyone would be able to read it anyway. Here's roughly what it would look like from the earth:

I think people had telescopes back then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think people had telescopes back then.

Yes, but it does diminish the impact of the inspiring message when every time you look up you can just see squiggles.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

No problem, he'll just move the moon closer

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Also only a small proportion of the world speaks/reads English.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh man it's the lingua franca.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Even aliens and futurefolk speak English in Silver Age comic books, so... why not the rest of Earth? Just as realistic! :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If Superman didn't speak English, loving nobody would trust him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

[Iconic Character] replaced with [NEW VERSION OF ICONIC CHARACTER] is old as balls, whether it's one-off stories about WHAT IF JIMMY OLSEN BECOMES SUPERMAN? or The International League of Batmen or whatever else. By the 1970s you'd have actual arcs of Hal Jordan being replaced with John Stewart or Steve Rogers quitting or Wonder Woman losing her crown.

What really happened in the 1980s was the desire to exploit every possible piece of IP possible, so obviously all the replacement Green Lanterns stuck around, Replacement Iron Man became War Machine, Replacement Captain America became USAgent, Replacement Thors became Beta Ray Bill and Thunderstrike, etc.

While there is doubtlessly an element of THE CLASSICS NEVER DIE/reaffirmation of the character's purity in some of these (Captain America stands for the ideal of America, not Rambo-tinted Reagan-era jingoism, an attempted repudiation of 'Why Doesn't Batman Kill?") a lot of them were just something to do/an attempt at a sales boost. I mean, I doubt the story of James Rhodes becoming Iron Man was to stifle the clamor of "Why isn't there a black Iron Man?" and while Superman was clearly languishing in the early 1990s, I don't think a single fan ever said "I mean I would be into superman if half his face was a metal skull, or he was a brilliant scientist, or if he had Dwayne Wayne glasses and an earring." If I recall they didn't even have the "Reign of the Superman" thing worked out when they went "let's kill him off while we vamp until the wedding", and 3/4 of the fake Superman stuck around for years as heroes, two of them with long-running series. I know Azrael stuck around foreverrrrrrrr as a solo book too, but at least Knightsend (and Gruenwald's Cap story) had a clear in-panel "YOUR WAY IS NOT THE WAY" moral, Superman basically fist-bumped 75% of his ersatz crew and went "thanks for filling in for me bros, there's a little Superman in all of you! ;)"

And in terms of "well, it was the 1990s" I don't really know if that is a factor as much as just a blatant attempt at DC and Marvel to try to maintain market share. They did the same thing (particularly at Marvel) in the 1980s in terms of spreading out their monthly output to choke out indies with lots of prestige reprints and additional titles for their big characters, adding extra Spider-X-Bat-Justice-Titans books all the time. By the time Image (and briefly Valiant and let's be honest, no one else really) started threatening their market share, they were already putting out a dozen Spider-Man and X-Men books a month, so in an attempt to differentiate some of them they tried giving books to Venom and Sabretooth and Deadpool and Green Goblin and Thunderstrike and the Thor Corps and etc. etc. etc.

Reading this just makes me wish Marvel would have had the balls to go through with making Black Crow into Captain America in the 80's.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, I'm thinking of buying the Deadpool biannual, but I know I'm gonna buy the collected issues later as a volume. Will the biannual be collected in there? I don't wanna end up owning two copies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

So, I'm thinking of buying the Deadpool biannual, but I know I'm gonna buy the collected issues later as a volume. Will the biannual be collected in there? I don't wanna end up owning two copies.

I am sure it will be collected at some point.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Well first you should buy it, then throw it away after you're done reading! Problem solved.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I loved Hickman's FF run and his usage of Franklin. I'm totally a sucker for "kid with immense potential but has to be raised right or we're screwed" characters like Timothy Hunter and Evan Sabahnur.

Was there a Franklin who grew up evil? If so, what storyline did it happen in?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
A double page spread from an X-Men comic popped into my head yesterday but I can't remember what issue/ series it came from.

In the pages the X-men were fighting a villain that somehow exploited all their weaknesses and killed them all horribly. But then later it was revealed it was an illusion created by Prof. X. I remember it took place in an icy cave and it was from the late 90s.

Hope that's enough information for an X-pert to identify.

edit: found it! it was from x-men #84.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2014

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
I seek infinity gem wisdom!

1- After Infinity Gauntlet, Eternity and / or the Living Tribunal ruled that the six gems could never be used together again. At what point was this undone?

2- Was it ever shown how the members of the Infinity Watch wound up losing the gems?

3- What issues / series shows how the Illuminati came to poses the gems?

Thank you for your time, all-knowing goons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Odonata posted:

I seek infinity gem wisdom!

1- After Infinity Gauntlet, Eternity and / or the Living Tribunal ruled that the six gems could never be used together again. At what point was this undone?

Infinity War. Galactus appealed to Eternity on behalf of the heroic side believing they still had the gauntlet in their possession and planned to use it to stop Magus.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 22, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Infinity War. Galactus appealed to Eternity on behalf of the heroic side believing they still had the gauntlet in their possession and planned to use it to stop Magus.

And then undone again at the end. Except everyone forgot that. Like they forget that the gauntlet is an absolutely meaningless item. Just because Thanos stuck them onto the least smelly left handed glove he had in the hamper that morning doesn't mean that the gems always have to be stuck onto a giant orange glove in order to work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

And then undone again at the end. Except everyone forgot that. Like they forget that the gauntlet is an absolutely meaningless item. Just because Thanos stuck them onto the least dirty left handed glove he had in the hamper that morning doesn't mean that the gems always have to be stuck onto a giant orange glove in order to work.

They did however remember it in Guardians of the Galaxy, since he was able to handle the power when it was in the hammer. I assume that since Thanos saw that he will use that info to handle the 6.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I consider myself a big Daredevil fan, so I feel like I should know this, but somehow, I get the impression it was never addressed -- at least not by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Diggle, or what I've read by Waid so far.

When Matt was a boy and he pushed that old man out of the way of the truck and got blinded by the radioactive material... why wasn't there a lawsuit? Or was there? Did we ever learn if it was a government or military vehicle, or private industry? What was the purpose of the material, and where was it going, and why wasn't it secured better, and why wasn't the driver paying more attention?

You'd think in any case, Battlin' Jack Murdock could have sued someone and won, to at least establish a trust for his newly-blinded son. Or did he, and is that how Matt was able to attend Columbia for law school, despite growing up poor?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When Matt was a boy and he pushed that old man out of the way of the truck and got blinded by the radioactive material... why wasn't there a lawsuit? Or was there? Did we ever learn if it was a government or military vehicle, or private industry? What was the purpose of the material, and where was it going, and why wasn't it secured better, and why wasn't the driver paying more attention?

According to the Waid version (which I just finished reading up to volume 7 today) the driver of the unlicensed chemical disposal truck was looking down at his cell phone up until the very last second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I consider myself a big Daredevil fan, so I feel like I should know this, but somehow, I get the impression it was never addressed -- at least not by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Diggle, or what I've read by Waid so far.

You'd think in any case, Battlin' Jack Murdock could have sued someone and won, to at least establish a trust for his newly-blinded son. Or did he, and is that how Matt was able to attend Columbia for law school, despite growing up poor?

I don't think that was ever addressed, likely because Daredevil is originally from before the era of massive personal injury lawsuits. Here's an off the cuff no-prize explanation, they did sue, but went with the first ambulance chaser they met who got chewed up and spit out by whatever high priced attorneys the other side hired.

I'm pretty sure Matt went to Colombia using needs and merit based scholarships. I remember in high school when they were telling us about all the different scholarships they even said there was one for red heads. And up until his first college grant (and maybe after) Matt would have qualified for social security, being disabled, maybe Battlin' Jack put it in a trust for him.