Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I kind of want to see something new from Bryan and Mike after Avatar; I mean they've done Eastern Mythology/fantasy why not do a thing that's a bit more... classical?

Because European middle ages + fantasy is a setting that has absolutely been done to death. Honestly I hate anime poo poo, just can't watch any of it, but Korra's setting is fresh and original for someone who doesn't really know anything about Asian cultures. I still don't give a poo poo about the ancient Chinese or whatever but at least it's not another loving magical feudal kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

Because European middle ages + fantasy is a setting that has absolutely been done to death.

The classical era came before the middle ages.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

thexerox123 posted:

The classical era came before the middle ages.
And it really hasn't been done in cartoons really except for what? The Disney Hercules cartoon?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

VanSandman posted:

Duration: 90 mins
Rated TV-MA for intense fantasy violence.
:black101:

I'd probably throw in a few bucks for a :kyoshi101: or :korra101: smiley, to be honest.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If we're going that route, I'd rather just have another Avatar that's Kyoshi 2.0. Go forwards rather than back! Plus, you know, no matter what the show does it won't live up to what people's imaginations built her up to being.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
After Disney's Hercules, the Clash of the Titans reboots, and The Immortals, I'm not ready for anyone to tackle classical mythology until they have any goddamn idea what they're actually doing. v:v:v

("But those last two weren't cartoons," you say, to which I reply, "Oh yes they were.")

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I like(d) Disney's Hercules, though it's probably mostly nostalgia from watching it as a kid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well it is a nice lil' heroic feel-good Disney film that has nothing to do with Hercules.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Well it is a nice lil' heroic feel-good Disney film that has nothing to do with Hercules.

Yeah, that's probably the appropriate lense. I have no doubt it's atrocious as an actual depiction of mythology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Read posted:

Yeah, that's probably the appropriate lense. I have no doubt it's atrocious as an actual depiction of mythology.

"Actual depiction of mythology" is an oxymoron.

"Christianity isn't realistic because it used Hades to mean Tartarus!"

Read
Dec 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

"Actual depiction of mythology" is an oxymoron.

"Christianity isn't realistic because it used Hades to mean Tartarus!"

"Depiction of mythology accurate to historical descriptions of the fiction"

??????????

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Read posted:

"Depiction of mythology accurate to historical descriptions of the fiction"

??????????

Mythology is a cultural adaptation, it's not a static thing.

It's why Tangled is not "an atrocious rendition of Rapunzel".

Read
Dec 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

I mean I get what you're saying but this seems like a bizarre fight to pick over semantics. "Not static" doesn't mean "has no central grounding elements". I was just making a concession to the fact that the guy was probably right about Disney's Hercules, since I don't have much of a background in the relevant culture/mythology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Read posted:

I mean I get what you're saying but this seems like a bizarre fight to pick over semantics. "Not static" doesn't mean "has no central grounding elements". I was just making a concession to the fact that the guy was probably right about Disney's Hercules, since I don't have much of a background in the relevant culture/mythology.

"Hera being a major bitch" is not a major grounding element for Hercules specifically.

Actually, why there's not major bitching about the God of War series will forever puzzle me since it's literally the original Hercules story but with the dickish God changed.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 15, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

Definitely, I mean people hear the stories from Greek Mythology, but don't realize just how many different versions there were of the same myths due to the nature of oral tradition and also city state pride. Also you have to change things with Greek Mythology since the values of Ancient Greece are waaaaaaay different (and often horribly so) than our present day values.

computer parts posted:

"Hera being a major bitch" is not a major grounding element for Hercules specifically.

Actually, why there's not major bitching about the God of War series will forever puzzle me since it's literally the original Hercules story but with the dickish God changed.
I hate GOW just because Kratos is a loser who decides to kill off the gods and that's like "Dude chill out and just get over what happened"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To solve all that, just have a Jason and the Argonauts kind of cartoon with each cast member being from different regions with a different pantheon of gods.

I'd like them to take a crack at a good old fashioned pirate cartoon. The Pirates of Dark Water was great until it was cancelled (and never got an ending). I love One Piece too so they should take a crack at it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Nobody here said it was?

"Not static"...which is to say, fluid...is not a synonym for "meaningless." That a story can have many interpretations does not mean it can have all interpretations and still be considered the same story, or we might as well claim that Terminator 2 is an adaptation of Orpheus' journey to the Underworld for some reason. So I will say that, yes, just for instance, turning Hera from Hercules' vindictive nemesis into his loving bereaved mother changes that story into something completely different, and I have no idea by what measure anyone would claim otherwise, and that's not even the part of the story that was changed the most.

AtLA and Korra are -- by all rights -- very modernized, westernized storylines, hardly accurate depictions of Asian mythology (nor are they meant to be), but they still impart a lot of interesting themes and motifs that are common to Asian culture-slash-religion...themes and motifs that they could have easily hosed up, but didn't. AtLA is not an adaptation of anything, but the world in which the storyline takes place is still rife with influences and concepts from some millenniums-old cultures.

By the same token, there are tons of themes and motifs common to Greek mythology -- even through all their various versions and retellings, unless those versions have been outright sugarcoated for grade school learning -- that are clear markers of the culture and mindset that crafted these tales. For all the hodge-podge of differing accounts of lineages and names and locations and beginnings and endings and flat-out retcons of all of the above, there are still a lot of things readers ought to recognize as "This would probably happen in Greek myths" or "This would probably not happen in Greek myths." And if you're gonna adapt a Greek myth without paying the least bit of attention to those things, to the point of blatantly contradicting them, then yeah, I think the world reserves the right to call it an atrocious adaptation. It may well be a fine story in any other respect, but it's still gonna be an atrocious adaptation.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
The problem with Greek myths is that they are too engrained in our culture, even if their rapiness and alternate divinities are barely touched.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Because European middle ages + fantasy is a setting that has absolutely been done to death. Honestly I hate anime poo poo, just can't watch any of it, but Korra's setting is fresh and original for someone who doesn't really know anything about Asian cultures. I still don't give a poo poo about the ancient Chinese or whatever but at least it's not another loving magical feudal kingdom.

Oh HELL no. :nyd:

That being said, how about a show with a culture inspired from the Desi people of India?

The Tarahumara people of Mexico?

The Hochunk of Northwestern North America?

The Tohono O'odham?

The Potawatomi?

How about furry? Furry is a culture right? :v:

In all seriousness, all the art's done by this person right here. I really love the Native American variants and it's definitely a culture that's not been explored faithfully.

"But everything changed when the White Man attacked."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

"But everything changed when the White Man attacked."

best premise

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Warning: biiiiig derail incoming, I apologize for everything in my entire life.

Sithsaber posted:

The problem with Greek myths is that they are too engrained in our culture, even if their rapiness and alternate divinities are barely touched.
I'd argue that it's almost the other way around, where the only things about Greek myths that are ingrained in our culture are the dissonant, sensationalist parts, the parts that clash the most with our sensibilities. The parts of the old tales that could actually resonate with modern life are the ones no one pays any attention to. Because they're more boring, I guess.

Everyone over the age of fourteen knows about Zeus being rapey, but no one remembers him being the arbiter of law and order who strikes down murderers, oathbreakers, and especially people in power who abuse their power. For as many times that he's turned into animals and raped some women and at least one boy, there's an equal example of him standing in judgment over corrupt kings and royals who did wrong by their people. Greek myths are filled with corrupt kings, perhaps as a mirror of their real life politics, meeting poetic justice at Zeus' hands. That's why Zeus was considered important; the commonfolk answered to the king, but the king answered to the god-king. And even if you weren't a king, it was a good idea to be good and hospitable to your neighbors anyway, 'cuz one of them might be a god in disguise testing your worthiness. The popular idea of the Heavens sending down lightning bolts to smite the wicked on the spot didn't come from Christianity; it was an adaptation, if you will, of Zeus' job.

The Olympians seem wild and chaotic from our modern perspective looking back on all these weird tales of animal-loving and gods killing innocent people going about their innocent people business, but what they actually stood for back then -- to the Greeks that worshiped them -- was law, order, knowledge, and civilization. They brought the world out of Chaos, out of the rule of monsters and titans and Titans. Zeus was personification of divine law. Hera protected the sacrament of marriage, which formed the bedrock of family and community and society. Hestia lit the homes and cities with warmth and comfort. Hades gave meaning and dignity to death. Demeter and Poseidon cultivated the wilds that the Greeks required to subsist. Zeus' children brought arts, crafts, trade, industry, science, medicine, music, theater, and education. They were gods of a rough era that had very different, very sexist* attitudes compared to ours (mostly), but they were gods of light and knowledge nonetheless.

*On top of all the rape, of course it takes a special kind of woman-hating society to take the goddess intended to represent and protect womanhood and turn her into your most spitefully wicked deity, and so the dude god that's actually cheating on her comes across as the victim instead.

That's why one of the most surefire, telltale signs of a completely modern, completely non-mythological adaptation of mythology is to have some great mortal hero rage against the injustice of the gods...and eventually topple them. The idea that the gods are an evil thing for humanity to fight against is 5738% a modern concept...almost a post-modern concept. The idea that humans should somehow destroy the gods outright, or that they should be the least bit threatened by us in any way at all, is so antithetical to the core concepts of mythology that it might as well be satire (which the Greeks also invented). But of course, the very first thing that modern storytellers do when you put this setting in their hands is to have some Übermensch swing his sword at some evil god and play it completely straight. Probably Hades, because gently caress the guy who sends good and evil people to their proper afterlives, right?

[/big derail]

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

BrianWilly posted:

Warning: biiiiig derail incoming, I apologize for everything in my entire life.

I'd argue that it's almost the other way around, where the only things about Greek myths that are ingrained in our culture are the dissonant, sensationalist parts, the parts that clash the most with our sensibilities. The parts of the old tales that could actually resonate with modern life are the ones no one pays any attention to. Because they're more boring, I guess.

Everyone over the age of fourteen knows about Zeus being rapey, but no one remembers him being the arbiter of law and order who strikes down murderers, oathbreakers, and especially people in power who abuse their power. For as many times that he's turned into animals and raped some women and at least one boy, there's an equal example of him standing in judgment over corrupt kings and royals who did wrong by their people. Greek myths are filled with corrupt kings, perhaps as a mirror of their real life politics, meeting poetic justice at Zeus' hands. That's why Zeus was considered important; the commonfolk answered to the king, but the king answered to the god-king. And even if you weren't a king, it was a good idea to be good and hospitable to your neighbors anyway, 'cuz one of them might be a god in disguise testing your worthiness. The popular idea of the Heavens sending down lightning bolts to smite the wicked on the spot didn't come from Christianity; it was an adaptation, if you will, of Zeus' job.

The Olympians seem wild and chaotic from our modern perspective looking back on all these weird tales of animal-loving and gods killing innocent people going about their innocent people business, but what they actually stood for back then -- to the Greeks that worshiped them -- was law, order, knowledge, and civilization. They brought the world out of Chaos, out of the rule of monsters and titans and Titans. Zeus was personification of divine law. Hera protected the sacrament of marriage, which formed the bedrock of family and community and society. Hestia lit the homes and cities with warmth and comfort. Hades gave meaning and dignity to death. Demeter and Poseidon cultivated the wilds that the Greeks required to subsist. Zeus' children brought arts, crafts, trade, industry, science, medicine, music, theater, and education. They were gods of a rough era that had very different, very sexist* attitudes compared to ours (mostly), but they were gods of light and knowledge nonetheless.

*On top of all the rape, of course it takes a special kind of woman-hating society to take the goddess intended to represent and protect womanhood and turn her into your most spitefully wicked deity, and so the dude god that's actually cheating on her comes across as the victim instead.

That's why one of the most surefire, telltale signs of a completely modern, completely non-mythological adaptation of mythology is to have some great mortal hero rage against the injustice of the gods...and eventually topple them. The idea that the gods are an evil thing for humanity to fight against is 5738% a modern concept...almost a post-modern concept. The idea that humans should somehow destroy the gods outright, or that they should be the least bit threatened by us in any way at all, is so antithetical to the core concepts of mythology that it might as well be satire (which the Greeks also invented). But of course, the very first thing that modern storytellers do when you put this setting in their hands is to have some Übermensch swing his sword at some evil god and play it completely straight. Probably Hades, because gently caress the guy who sends good and evil people to their proper afterlives, right?

[/big derail]

There's a lot wrong with your post. For one thing, Zeus overthrew his father, and his father overthrew his father before that. A priorly mortal demigod overthrowing Zeus fits well into that tradition easily. Another issue is that a godhead interested in order isn't exactly unique to Greece, and Semitic lords of the storm predate Zeus by quite a lot. Finally, Zeus didn't give civilization freely; he had the beginnings of it stolen from him, and he punished everyone for benefiting from that theft.

This strays from the point about the overuse of Olympus. The fact is that we see it a lot, and we even see it in more pleasant forms than stories revolving around sons and their absentee fathers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Zeus had tons of mortal children. All of them were still subject to the whims of fate and ultimately humbled before the gods. Even the ones who eventually became immortal, like Heracles, did so by letting go of their hubris to be welcomed into their divine family. Any other mortal that tried to proclaim themselves above even very minor gods, much less Zeus himself, met messy painful ends across the board. Not one single exception. Like, I know what you're trying to say, but you're absolutely approaching the canon from a modern perspective, just like every other Hollywood writer, because what you're suggesting is simply not in the DNA of the old stories. Mortals could not challenge the gods. Those who did so ended up regretting it forever. That's it, that's literally it.

Even in the tale of Prometheus you're referring to, the whole point is how small and feeble humans are and that our entire civilization exists at their sufferance -- not even at their approval but at their sufferance -- and they could wipe it out at a moment's notice if we ever step too far out of line. And what happened to Prometheus, a Titan who went behind Zeus' back? Oh yeah, caught and suffering for eternity.

And oh sure, there were Zeus-like gods long before Zeus. Every one of the Greek gods were probably cobbled together from even older versions. I'm just saying that our vision of some old bearded guy in a robe smiting people out of the blue was cobbled from him. Well, technically from Jupiter, who was himself cobbled from Zeus and other sources.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I recognize that resistance was futile. That's why cataclysm is cathartic.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metis_(mythology)

I remember an old mythology book I read in elementary school that predicted Zeus' fall. I know cults have always had a myriad of myths and prophesies, but that one is as compelling as Ragnarok, which in one form or another is a universal myth.

Ps. Mithras would have served this role (Zeus did take the form of a bull) if Christ hadn't triumphed.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

This is pretty cool. Someone collected an album of fan art for 50 LoK crossovers. Think I can recognise about... five?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aertuun posted:

This is pretty cool. Someone collected an album of fan art for 50 LoK crossovers. Think I can recognise about... five?

Tenzingelion wins just because of the name.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's good to see Korra in fighting form so soon after the finale. Imagine waiting a half a year for that (RIP ATLA scheduling horrors).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Aertuun posted:

I appreciate the Soul Eater and Atlantis The Lost Empire ones, mainly the latter though since Atlantis the Lost Empire owns

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Because European middle ages + fantasy is a setting that has absolutely been done to death.
There is more to medieval Europe than south and west shores of the North Sea and 12th and 13th centuries.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
And there's more to World War 2 than Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge, but when COD4 came out it was a tremendous breath of fresh air because it wasn't just another WW2 shooter.

Even if someone had decided to make COD4 a Burma Campaign WW2 game, it would still be hamstrung by the fact that it was a WW2 game coming at the heels of a decade of nothing but WW2 games.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Supposedly, we'll get a clip from season 4 tomorrow if this Tumblr post gets reblogged 15,000 times by then. Also, new Season 4 portrait of Korra by Bryan Konietzko.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It's already at 16k+

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Still love the new haircut. It makes her look more mature compared to the forward pigtails look. I just hope we don't have a cliche scene where she cuts it in a fit of despair.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Somehow that hair makes her look more anime than ever.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Seeing how the White Lotus was a real world thing, does anyone know if some of the real world beliefs that came out of it made it into the show?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_Former_Heaven

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Jackard posted:

It's already at 16k+

That was quick. It was less than 3K when I posted. It's now 33K. Well, can't wait for that clip. No surprise the Nick figures the place for this show is online. At least they are right about the popularity there.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jorghnassen posted:

That was quick. It was less than 3K when I posted. It's now 33K. Well, can't wait for that clip. No surprise the Nick figures the place for this show is online. At least they are right about the popularity there.

I reposted three times, meaning that the jump in numbers could easily have been the result of spamming.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Jorghnassen posted:

As someone previously involved in online metrics, it's kind of annoying that no-one has released viewing figures at all. I'm not sure whether studios actively track torrent downloads (they should), but the show's online presence is way out of proportion to the plain TV figures.

The only guesses you can make are from bad data (count Reddit subscribers! that's accurate!).

On the other hand, Nick seem determined not to make any money out of the show. The DVD for Book 2 is out soon in the UK! 20th October guys!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Well some enterprising internet person found the clip:

http://unicorn-dl.mtvnservices.com/...814/content.mp4

edit: It's already on Nick's site: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/korra-215-clip.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I... don't care for the shorter hair. :(

I do like the implications it has for her character arc, though. Seems like the clip on Nick shows they'll be continuing the themes we expected, which is great.

Aertuun posted:

I'm not sure whether studios actively track torrent downloads (they should), but the show's online presence is way out of proportion to the plain TV figures.

They do, typically for big pay-for channels like HBO and Showtime. WB watches "Game of Thrones" numbers like a hawk and loves bragging when it breaks torrent records. They sometimes spin it as "these are illegal downloads!" but, really, they love seeing high numbers because it means they've got people hooked on their brand.

The difficult part is how to track numbers. As I'm sure you know, given you did this, it's difficult to get exact counts. Do you go by unique IPs? Well, what about people using proxies or Tor that skew the data? Overall views? The traditional Nielsen clickers, but for computers? The industry wants to learn how to do it, and they're making progress, but they're really playing catchup on a lot of fronts after wasting several years trying to sue pirates into oblivion instead of trying to match their methods.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 16, 2014

• Locked thread