Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Propagandist posted:

Sure, but then why pay/employ him if he can't do his job?

He might not be posting, but that doesn't mean he wasn't involved in any of this and isn't moderating threads and such. I think he's arrogant, bad at his job and generally makes matters worse and is therefore a terrible community manager, but that doesn't mean he's doing literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Number19 posted:

Niko is in the office. I spoke with him this morning about some stuff.

You have my sincerest goondolences.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Propagandist posted:

Sure, but then why pay/employ him if he can't do his job?

Unsung Heroes deserve pensions, don't they?

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have 1440 hours of premium time sitting on my account

I've got +1600, most of it was founders. Some bonuses here and there from contests and whatever. Maybe some from when I bought the package for the Shadow Hawk.

Why the gently caress is there no Shadowcat yet?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the Shadow Cat is weird because it technically exists in this part of the timeline, but wasn't available to the front line clans for a while. Also, has MASC.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its too bad the Loki will probably suck. Its basically the Clan evolution of the much-loved Wahammer (especially visually) snd a lmost certainly the closest we'll ever get to a Warhammer.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Are you saying they still give a gently caress about that timeline bullshit they sold to us with the rest of the snake oil?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They've always stuck with timeline appropriate mechs and tech. No reason to think otherwise (until the money runs out and they can start cashing out on Fafnirs.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Coming soon, a brand new free mech for every player to start with instead of being restricted to Trial Mechs!

Introducing the Elemental Suit (and removal of Cadet bonus because hey you don't need to buy a first mech anymore)

EDIT:

Lemming posted:

You act like Elementals wouldn't be sweet as hell.

you are right, I forgot the :pgi: Jumpjet variant sold separately, for MC

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sarmhan posted:

The Fenris can go 130 km/h and has the prized FF/Endo combination so that'll be entertaining. The Loki has ECM but no FF/endosteel. Still not giving PGI any money though. And yea making the third most famous clan heavy super exclusive is really goddamn stupid.

It's OK though. The Mad Dog is poo poo. It's the Timberwolf but Worse in Every Way (same speed, 15 tons lighter, less armor, worse weaponry, fewer hardpoints). Think of the Special Reward Version as a new version of the Gold `Mechs to TK, I guess? (I still don't advocate teamkilling, but it's pretty much proof that the user is an idiot)

The King Crab will be interesting, it's basically as close as the IS will get to a Dire Wolf. Paired ballistics in the arms, missiles in the torso. Stock comes with a pair of AC/20s, the Star League version gets a pair of Gauss Rifles instead and--I have not a clue what they'll do to get three different variants of it, since the variants we could get (KGC-000, KGC-000b, KGC-0000, and KGC-001) all have the same hardpoints (the KGC-001 will get some extra missile hardpoints in the torso for its SSRM-2s :v: ). Edit: They could make it really cool, but I suspect it will look like a cheese wedge with legs and will be difficult to distinguish from a Dire Wolf or Warhawk at range.

And finally, to look a gift horse in the mouth:

The CN9-AH Centurion is utter poo poo. I hope you like trying to cram ballistics and missiles into a chassis that can't support either in sufficient quantities. It's the Yen Lo Wang with missiles instead of lasers. Unless they give us the Light AC/2 and Light AC/5 this thing is going to be straight-up worthless for a long, long time. At least it's a free Mechbay (why are we charged money for those again, when `Mechs already cost $20-35?)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 15, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

Coming soon, a brand new free mech for every player to start with instead of being restricted to Trial Mechs!

Introducing the Elemental Suit (and removal of Cadet bonus because hey you don't need to buy a first mech anymore)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Elementals could be really cool (1/10th the size of a Locust, very slow, very vulnerable to being shot, invisible in cover (that'd be hard to do), jump jet onto enemies to shoot the internals of the location you're anchored to directly (bypassing armor) with either a small laser (to do real damage) or a machinegun (to shred their components).

I just have no confidence PGI could do them well (and the Inner Sphere really doesn't have a counterpart for a long, long time). The ones in Living Legends were pretty much nothing like actual Elementals, but eh, the arcade style can be really fun too.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm slightly jealous about the Free 30% King Crabs. Especially if they ever fix this shitheap because those robits are awesome. But whatever, it's not going to happen so meh.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Elementals could be really cool (1/10th the size of a Locust, very slow, very vulnerable to being shot, invisible in cover (that'd be hard to do), jump jet onto enemies to shoot the internals of the location you're anchored to directly (bypassing armor) with either a small laser (to do real damage) or a machinegun (to shred their components).

I just have no confidence PGI could do them well (and the Inner Sphere really doesn't have a counterpart for a long, long time). The ones in Living Legends were pretty much nothing like actual Elementals, but eh, the arcade style can be really fun too.

You could play Titanfall and pretend that the pilots out of the Titans are Elementals. You can jump on the robots and shoot them in the back of the head in that game.

Titanfall is probably the most fun mech game out there right now.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
So what's the deal here?

Is this kneejerk desperation or was this always the plan once they broke the IGP binds?

Because it coinciding with transverse's miserable failure makes me think the former.

Still though, got to admit they've succeeded in getting me to pay attention.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

dMastri posted:

So what's the deal here?

Is this kneejerk desperation or was this always the plan once they broke the IGP binds?

Because it coinciding with transverse's miserable failure makes me think the former.

Still though, got to admit they've succeeded in getting me to pay attention.

They were always planning the clan reinforcement pack and the Mad Dog gift for whales. The Cent, Atlas and King Crab were probably reactions to the community making GBS threads on them.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

The CN9-AH Centurion is utter poo poo. I hope you like trying to cram ballistics and missiles into a chassis that can't support either in sufficient quantities. It's the Yen Lo Wang with missiles instead of lasers. Unless they give us the Light AC/2 and Light AC/5 this thing is going to be straight-up worthless for a long, long time. At least it's a free Mechbay (why are we charged money for those again, when `Mechs already cost $20-35?)

I liked the AH Cent. I also own the YLW. So I might be an Idiot. I mean there is an "I" in Idiot.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, make them unlockable (can't be targeted), would be OP as hell against pubbies.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Perma-ECM Elementals would by funny as hell, especially if you can just snap onto mechs the way sticky-bombs snap onto things in other games. That would be enough to satisfy the craving for swarm attacking a mech.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The potential for pubby mayhem would be hilarious, too. "Whoops sorry, saw an elemental on your leg, didn't have a machinegun so I used my PPC instead :downs:"

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Drake_263 posted:

The potential for pubby mayhem would be hilarious, too. "Whoops sorry, saw an elemental on your leg, didn't have a machinegun so I used my PPC instead :downs:"

With doubled armor you'd need 2 PPCs (and some more damaged) to kill an elemental. So you're better off firing 2 PPCs AND a AC/20 at the leg. Better safe than sorry.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like the idea of having a bunch of elementals hitch a ride on a light that runs straight into the enemy blob and then bursts into a swarm

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemming posted:

I like the idea of having a bunch of elementals hitch a ride on a light that runs straight into the enemy blob and then bursts into a swarm

Pretty sure that's the Dasher/Fire Moth's entire raison d'etre.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

If they are trying to use "being all conducive to conversations and poo poo" to gain "better relationship with customers", that's not terrible.

Personally I believe that _appearing_ to give a poo poo and _actually_ giving a poo poo are two entirely separate things; PGI has been bad at both, and might be figuring out why that's not a good thing. I'm as hopeful as you that they're trying to gain a better relationship with customers, but to be really honest, how blind can they be? They've even had to ramp up to this after the 'It's goons, they're after us', 'we're being bullied like those feminists', 'We've delivered everything'....having them come back to the table because nobody believes their poo poo isn't that positive.

I'm *kinda* hoping that they figure out that scarcity doesn't sell robbits beyond the few spergy whales, and they should change up the gameplay rather than pumping out skins.

I'm also not convinced by this IGP stuff. Every time I've been around a branding change, poo poo was ready to go for a specific date, but IGPs name is still all over everything. If their timing was to launch the transverse crowd source, after leaving IGP, and coasting on the MWO proceeds, they've been kicked in the teeth twice.

OB_Juan posted:

It will be interesting if this is all an attempt to get people on their side for a later Transverse relaunch. Even if the community kinda liked them, it's still a community that's there to shot robbit.

They're sold on it, and I suspect that they've done a bunch of work for it, but that's a whole other ballgame besides the tapdancing around the current state of MWO. One million dollars for spaceflight is so blatantly dumb that it feels like a parody.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 15, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure that's the Dasher/Fire Moth's entire raison d'etre.

4 ER Medium Lasers and a Targeting Computer (and it's faster walking backwards than most Inner Sphere medium `Mechs (and quite a few lights) are running forward).

The Gargoyle's your designated Elemental Carrier. It's got no torso weapons at all in most (all?) variants, and is as fast as the Timber Wolf.

Clan Goliath Scorpion delivers their Elementals via Aerospace Fighter instead. As the Goliath Scorpions spend what little time they're not devoting to performing insane bullshit getting high on space drugs scorpion venom, they are officially the Best Clan. :getin:

Edit: Clan Goliath Scorpion is so metal that any time they're not spending killing other Clanners, they instead devote to slowly killing themselves with a deadly hallucinogenic neurotoxin. They consider this a net gain because even when they're not killing Clanners, they are still killing Clanners.

VVV Star League Relics take many forms. Sometimes those forms are capable of sick benihanas. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They also have sweet skateboards if I remember my alt-canon correctly.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Man did I miss out on all the fireworks, that was an entertaining 2500 post backlog.

BattleMaster posted:

Counting the Mad Dog that will be every 3050 invasion OmniMech available except the two with MASC.
There's also one that would play like a 'roided out Spider, but I think it would take a makeover on the level of the MW4 Hellhound to unfuck those looks. I'd probably go for the functionally similar and easier to de-ugly not a Clan Omni Phoenix Hawk.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its too bad the Loki will probably suck. Its basically the Clan evolution of the much-loved Warhammer (especially visually) and almost certainly the closest we'll ever get to a Warhammer.
God forbid a IIC or any Clan non-Omni appears in the game, because barring the reintroduction of repair/refit costs or steep maintenance costs to drain all your spacebucks allowing full modifications with Clan tech will be a balance shitshow to top all others.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665099

Here's the beginning of the MW/MC classic thread with an OP focusing on MW4:Mercs. Feel free to add stuff on the other games, PM me stuff to add for the games, or just generally criticize the OP.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
Aww, I like the Vulture.

Also, apparently if you bought a founders package that has MC, you get the cent-ah as well as the atlas. That will put me up to 5 centurions in my mech bay, none of which I really use any more. Still, I would trade both the cent and the atlas in for that sweet, sweet Vulture.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665099

Here's the beginning of the MW/MC classic thread with an OP focusing on MW4:Mercs. Feel free to add stuff on the other games, PM me stuff to add for the games, or just generally criticize the OP.

gonna post some mechwarrior 2+ expansions running in dosbox stuff in there tomorrow.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I also own the YLW. So I might be an Idiot. I mean there is an "I" in Idiot.

She may be dumb but she sure is fun, brother.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So if I understand this correctly the King Crab is essentially a 100 ton assault BoomJaeger. Even with ghost heat the BooJaeger still performs so having all that additional weight will open up scary options. Which is weird because ghost heat suggests they want to deter people running around in a BoomJaeger. Oh :pgi:

It says a lot about my money-managing skills that I will be getting one of those for free.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what's this about new mechs, another scheme from :pgi: to get our money for their lovely space-sim?

quote:

Here is a referral to Heavy Gear if anyone wants to help me get some keys: http://heavygear.com/register?ref=de54d3d3

Even if you don't care about this game maybe you could register to help me get some keys for goons that want to?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its too bad the Loki will probably suck. Its basically the Clan evolution of the much-loved Wahammer (especially visually) snd a lmost certainly the closest we'll ever get to a Warhammer.
The Clan evolution of the Warhammer is the Warhammer IIc. The fun poo poo will be if they put in the evolution of the Wolverine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

The Clan evolution of the Warhammer is the Warhammer IIc. The fun poo poo will be if they put in the evolution of the Wolverine.

If only there could be a Stone Rhino. I would be fully engorged.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arquinsiel posted:

They're both evolutions of the Warhammer. The Hellbringer Prime is even armed a lot like a Warhammer.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Loki is even underarmored and has a bunch of extraneous crap for no reason, just like the Warhammer.

Pretty much every first-gen Clan omni is thematically connected to one of the classic 3025 mechs, like the Thor and the T-Bolt, and the Vulture and Archer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

The Loki is even underarmored and has a bunch of extraneous crap for no reason, just like the Warhammer.

Pretty much every first-gen Clan omni is thematically connected to one of the classic 3025 mechs, like the Thor and the T-Bolt, and the Vulture and Archer.

It even has a damned searchlight, just like the Warhammer!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Holy poo poo Poptarts you basically said the YLW is better than the AH.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Holy poo poo, is that a toy? I think I had that toy. Oh god I'm getting flashbacks.

Edit: NO DAD NO

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Propagandist posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a toy? I think I had that toy. Oh god I'm getting flashbacks.

Edit: NO DAD NO

Yeah it is, I have one somewhere. I haven't watched Robotech or anything at all but when I saw it I had to have it because hey, Warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
They're a pretty sweet run of toys. I have it and the Rifleman. Wish I had found the Archer but ah well. The Longbow was available, but it looked rear end so 12 year old me gave no fucks.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're both evolutions of the Warhammer. The Hellbringer Prime is even armed a lot like a Warhammer.
The other versions of it are nothing like Warhammer variants though.

• Locked thread