Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Neba posted:

Love the cgi tears on that child actor's face in the last scene, such an emotional way to end the episode.

It's nothing compared to this touching and absolutely not doctored photo of a mother and her child sharing a happy moment together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hey, remember the awesome rogue vamp squad?
Me neither.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

radical meme posted:

Back to moving at a snails pace. Yes, I have to say that if your ex-husband, or significant other, who is a top Doctor in the CDC tells you to leave town to avoid a horrible virus and you don't do it, then you deserve whatever happens. The internet and cell service doesn't work, except when it does work.

I have to agree on the pacing.

That's my main complaint, the second is the absolute vapdiness/banality of the two doctors as characters, they are complete failures as interesting protagonists that one can empathize with. Seriously, if we didn't have our Slavic Pied Piper or the Armenian katana-wielder, I doubt many people would watch the show.

It really felt like the show peaked at Episode 7/8, with the Vamp SWAT and convenience store siege (mini-Dawn of the Dead 2004 esque mall siege) in Ep 8. I enjoyed the flashback of 9 to the camp as well, the relationship between Eichorst/Setrakian deserves more exposure. Instead, 10 was a complete mess. Great, another episode about Eph and his wife, and to top it off, the completely pointless subplot of the other one-dimensional character in the gang, the rebellious l33t hax0r Australian (who storms out into the middle of the street, come on, really?). Also, an episode where Vasily reduced to a support character, when he's few redeeming characters on the show.

This episode was a big step back :smith:

Bridgeburner_ fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 15, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In a reasonably fun vampire show I would be looking forward to the Master using Eph's ex-wife to troll him, but this show will find a way to make that boring.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

In a reasonably fun vampire show I would be looking forward to the Master using Eph's ex-wife to troll him, but this show will find a way to make that boring.

Going by how 3/4 of the plane 'survivors' were handled, odds are pretty good that the next episode will start with a 2 minute scene where she jumps Eph and Co and gets dispatched instantly, then forgotten about.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Avasculous posted:

Going by how 3/4 of the plane 'survivors' were handled, odds are pretty good that the next episode will start with a 2 minute scene where she jumps Eph and Co and gets dispatched instantly, then forgotten about.

I read this and immediately thought "I don't think vampires HAVE sex, dude," but then realized that's not what you meant.

Already though it was a better plotline than what they're gonna give anyone.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

Bridgeburner_ posted:

the rebellious l33t hax0r Australian (who storms out into the middle of the street, come on, really?).

In a truly garbage episode this was probably the most perplexing moment, but whatever.

So is she supposed to be Australian then? I thought she was meant to be Dutch or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rarrgh posted:

In a truly garbage episode this was probably the most perplexing moment, but whatever.

So is she supposed to be Australian then? I thought she was meant to be Dutch or something.

She's a 90's movie-style exotic and dangerous hacker woman.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rarrgh posted:

Her name is Dutch. And she has the most neutral English accent of them all.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
I like how they had to dub in "apocalypse in the streets" sound effects to give you the impression that poo poo is actually going down in every yawn inducing scene.

I really hope Eph dies and rat man or jewish Blade takes over. Eph is by far the dullest main character in any tv show and he's kind of a shithead too.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

She's a 90's movie-style exotic and dangerous hacker woman.

She's honestly really terrible and an eye rolling caricature to force some half-assed empowered woman role onto the audience.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Modus Operandi posted:

She's honestly really terrible and an eye rolling caricature to force some half-assed empowered woman role onto the audience.

Right, she's basically a Joss Whedon character, except not every single of her lines is a mix of 'witty banter' and flirting. Only 80%.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah seriously I've been noticing the ADR 'streets in chaos' stuff since before the gas station episode and it doesn't seem to be noticed by the characters at all. I really have a feeling when this was filmed it was dialed back a good bit, like how they were directed to act, as if the plague hadn't taken such a hold. Then they watched it, and realized how loving boring it was, probably re-edited it and dropped in all those sound effects. So in my opinion this is a LESS boring version that originally filmed which is saying a lot.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Was expecting Palmer to be dead with Masamune sticking out of him when they stormed to the top of the ShinRa tower.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Justin Credible posted:

Yeah seriously I've been noticing the ADR 'streets in chaos' stuff since before the gas station episode and it doesn't seem to be noticed by the characters at all. I really have a feeling when this was filmed it was dialed back a good bit, like how they were directed to act, as if the plague hadn't taken such a hold. Then they watched it, and realized how loving boring it was, probably re-edited it and dropped in all those sound effects. So in my opinion this is a LESS boring version that originally filmed which is saying a lot.

The editing and tone is just very off in this series. You have regular people holding hands and walking in the streets, going to work, etc.. as looters and the infected are running around everywhere. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

If people were hearing windows breaking and looting noises everywhere then there would be mass panic and not this surreal dream like calm.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Came here to say the kid is really bad, but it looks like everyone already knows.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Modus Operandi posted:

If people were hearing windows breaking and looting noises everywhere then there would be mass panic and not this surreal dream like calm.

I liked when the couple was walking down the street when a huge dude with blood all over his face was creeping behind them. Even people in the shittiest, most regularly dangerous parts of any city are gonna stay inside/not wander around with their heads in the clouds when they hear screaming, glass breaking, and all sorts of mayhem going on.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Okay so, ex-wife's bitch friend gets sucked dry by a vamp-tongue and dies on the spot, yet before she turns she is able to make it to the basement with bad child actor #2 so that Eph can conveniently find them, kill them, and find his ex's necklace so we get to watch him awkwardly cry. I mean, in any other show, I'd probably have screamed, "OH GOD YOU FOUND HER NECKLACE THAT MEANS SHE IS ALMOST CERTAINLY DEAD! YOU loving RETARD!" Instead, I forced myself to watch Eph cry and then shrugged my shoulders as I remembered stupid scenes like this are par for the course.

Also, Eph and Nora holding each other when Eph comes back in and throws his anti-vamp gun on the table like a big loving baby, took too long. They just stand there holding each other awkwardly, almost as if Durand and whoever plays cliche hacker chick were a second or two late on their cues.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Okay so, ex-wife's bitch friend gets sucked dry by a vamp-tongue and dies on the spot, yet before she turns she is able to make it to the basement with bad child actor #2 so that Eph can conveniently find them, kill them, and find his ex's necklace so we get to watch him awkwardly cry. I mean, in any other show, I'd probably have screamed, "OH GOD YOU FOUND HER NECKLACE THAT MEANS SHE IS ALMOST CERTAINLY DEAD! YOU loving RETARD!" Instead, I forced myself to watch Eph cry and then shrugged my shoulders as I remembered stupid scenes like this are par for the course.

Also, Eph and Nora holding each other when Eph comes back in and throws his anti-vamp gun on the table like a big loving baby, took too long. They just stand there holding each other awkwardly, almost as if Durand and whoever plays cliche hacker chick were a second or two late on their cues.

Eph is basically the Dr. Jackson of the show, he basically kills any momentum for the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcYIKYrjJM

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Does that Vasiliy actor guy have fake teeth? They seem too big for his mouth. Or is that just a lisp?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

Eph is basically the Dr. Jackson of the show, he basically kills any momentum for the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcYIKYrjJM

Yep, and he does it by acting like a manchild and throwing tantrums for every situation, or he gets just passive-aggressive on people. Like the comment to hacker chick was literally out of nowhere, even if you take into account that he just learned his wife was probably a vampire and basically dead. Yeah emotions run high blah blah, but what has he really said to hacker chick before he totally dissed her for no reason? Also, even if she did shut down the internet (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahhahahahaahaha no loving way that poo poo happens) she is still literally more useful than Eph has been for the entire show so far, which makes it hilarious when he says the CDC put him in charge as if that even matters now, and if he has really done much but pine for his ex-wife and act like a crybaby the entire time.

In any other show like this, he'd have been killed or left for dead by the first or second episode. Here, he's a goddamn protagonist.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Does that Vasiliy actor guy have fake teeth? They seem too big for his mouth. Or is that just a lisp?

I don't know, I think those are his teeth IRL. Watch the Russell Crowe Robin Hood movie or Mystery, Alaska, he's in both of those.

But I did think his two giant smiles at hot front desk girl were a little weird. I don't know if that was intentional in the context of the script, or just Durand's real smile.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kevin Durand is the only likeable character on this show, and that's probably just because I can't understand anything he says.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Kevin Durand is the only likeable character on this show, and that's probably just because I can't understand anything he says.

He's basically the Daryl of the show, basically a character that has realistic chance of surviving unlike his bumbling incompetent allies.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
It's been years since I read the books. Did I miss it, or have they not actually figured out what happened on the plane?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Master had a buffet.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Rocksicles posted:

The Master had a buffet.

And everybody just sat there with their trays in the upright position? What the gently caress.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I always assumed he did something to the O2/CO2 levels since he was hiding out in the nether regions of the plane.
Just put the people into blackout sleep from overexposure to CO2 and then ate them up while making GBS threads them out, like a really poor vacuum cleaner.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011

Drifter posted:

I always assumed he did something to the O2/CO2 levels since he was hiding out in the nether regions of the plane.
Just put the people into blackout sleep from overexposure to CO2 and then ate them up while making GBS threads them out, like a really poor vacuum cleaner.

I took it as he did something to the air, knocked em out and then just unleashed his holy worms of hell to feast into everyone.

Also came here to discuss how truly terrible this past episode was. I'd been mostly enjoying the show, even with its absolute wackiness but this past episode was just such stupid poo poo. Bring back the loving vamp squad. I mean you can't introduce something loving awesome like that and then just drop it, like it never happened. Also why were there no more awesome action scenes this time. Yes ef loves his now dead wife, but the world is ending and he still gets to gently caress his partner. I mean move on. Seriously thank god for the jewish sword wielder and health inspector....

Bring back the vamp squad please...pretty please :pray:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show seems to take place in some sort of bizarro world where half the population is vampire zombies and the other half are just people just going about their day not noticing what is going on or getting angry at people warning them of the vampire zombies that are literally everywhere. It seems like the general public would have noticed the Tremors monsters coming out of all of the nosferatu looking guys mouths by now but I guess not.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Whispering Machines posted:

I liked when the couple was walking down the street when a huge dude with blood all over his face was creeping behind them. Even people in the shittiest, most regularly dangerous parts of any city are gonna stay inside/not wander around with their heads in the clouds when they hear screaming, glass breaking, and all sorts of mayhem going on.

The problems are purely bad creative decisions. Which seems to indicate there's a lot of hacks on board. This does not bode well for the future of this series. Maybe Del Toro needs to start jerking on the reins.

They didn't even have to blow their budget by constantly showing a city under siege. There's all sorts of other ways to get the point across that manhattan is seriously hosed. It's like the creative team has never heard of H.G. Wells or something. Implied apocalypse is much scarier than long shots of placid looking NYC city streets with a single goofy vamp running around which is so silly it just breaks any atmosphere and tension.

The idea that people go about their day as if nothing is happening is plain bizarre. It's kind of like in Grand Theft Auto where you can pummel a pedestrian to death and people run around freaked out for awhile but when you go back everything is cool again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

But I did think his two giant smiles at hot front desk girl were a little weird. I don't know if that was intentional in the context of the script, or just Durand's real smile.
Durand is like a real life caricature. He generally has unsettling face gymnastics.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The only thing that I let bother me about this show is how some people are still totally unaware that there are loving monsters running around killing eveyone when like half the population is turned/dead at this point.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

vseslav.botkin posted:

And everybody just sat there with their trays in the upright position? What the gently caress.

The Ancients have an ability that lets them basically render people not quite unconcious but basically paralyzed. The show doesn't ever explain this and while I'd like to assume they will get to it eventually, the pacing of the show makes me wonder. I can at least turn my brain off for the time being and wait for what is in store later on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Friction.123 posted:

The Ancients have an ability that lets them basically render people not quite unconcious but basically paralyzed. The show doesn't ever explain this and while I'd like to assume they will get to it eventually, the pacing of the show makes me wonder. I can at least turn my brain off for the time being and wait for what is in store later on.

If that's the case then why is the master even hiding? He should just let them come to him. :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mcbexx posted:

Hey, remember the awesome rogue vamp squad?
Me neither.

Seriously how do you tease Vampire Spetznaz and then go what is it now 4 episodes without showing them again, even just to string us along? Come the gently caress on.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hated Vampire Spetznaz, so there.

(Granted, I hate almost everything about this series.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you hate Blade

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Xoidanor posted:

If that's the case then why is the master even hiding? He should just let them come to him. :psyduck:

Because main characters have the power to make vampires forget they have 10' foot tongues, mind control, super speed, and whatever. Eph is a scary dude with CDC super powers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

vseslav.botkin posted:

The physics/plausibility of the master instantly infecting and killing everyone on the plane has never been addressed, which may have been the first clue that this show was going nowhere fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Friction.123 posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath since in the books he seems to forget he has this power at some pretty key moments.

• Locked thread