Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

No he's not. The real profile of Notch is: http://www.reddit.com/user/xNotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
an actual twitter conversation...

quote:

nemo2501: So you sold it to MS?! You could have just left without selling it ...

notch: Then I would've still be responsible for it.

nemo2501: Whatever. It's too late. You sold a children's darling to MS to be exploited and used as a weapon. Well, congrats. Now you are responsible ... forever ... for selling it to MS. Mind as well have sold it to the ISIS.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/511607714145783809

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

weaponized autism

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Now all I can see is Archer and Krieger having an argument about minecraft

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm an idiot. Can someone explain how Notch would still have been responsible for Mojang if he, um, gave up his responsibilities to someone else and left, rather than selling the company?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

No he's not. The real profile of Notch is: http://www.reddit.com/user/xNotch

God drat it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jamesman posted:

I'm an idiot. Can someone explain how Notch would still have been responsible for Mojang if he, um, gave up his responsibilities to someone else and left, rather than selling the company?

Source your quotes

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Jamesman posted:

He is the majority shareholder. When we are talking about a business that just sold for $2.5B and pulls in $350+M/year in revenue, you can't just walk away without giving it away.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
I bet his ex-wife is kicking herself now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pirate Jet posted:

It is funny that he poo poo-talked other people for doing something and then did the exact same thing and tried to make excuses for it. I am going to laugh at it.

You are vastly overestimating how seriously Notch's detractors are taking this in your attempts to seem aloof.

Oddly enough I'm not just trying to be aloof I genuinely don't really care. Notch created a thing that millions of people got a lot of enjoyment out of and now he's selling it and getting really rich in the process. Good for him, I hope he's happy and can find other poo poo to work on. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter all that much and Notch making billions of dollars doesn't really affect my life so why should I care? If Microsoft ruins Mojang and Minecraft I'll just play other games instead. You know, whatever.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oddly enough I'm not just trying to be aloof I genuinely don't really care. Notch created a thing that millions of people got a lot of enjoyment out of and now he's selling it and getting really rich in the process. .

Except its not that cut and dry. When you start a company, you are providing people with jobs and income with which they buy homes and food with.

And he hosed them over. Hard.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Arkitektbmw posted:

Except its not that cut and dry. When you start a company, you are providing people with jobs and income with which they buy homes and food with.

How? did he fire them?
Did he not employ them?
He owes them nothing more than he has given them. If he wants to be nice, he can give the current employees a bonus before he fully leaves the company. But he does not have to.

He got his, and got out. At one point in time, I would have blamed him. I've been though several company buyouts and I cannot blame anyone for getting out when the getting was good.

Chances are nothing will change in the short term, the Mojang team will continue to operate per normal. We'll start to see changes after 3-6 months of little things, maybe. A bigger change will likely be see post 12 months out.

I suspect in the short term we'll see more merch and licensing deals.
I also suspect we'll see something eventually regarding Minecraft for Windows on Arm/App Store

Edit:

MS has a lot of great divisions, and I'm hopeful they'll put someone with brains into the role to continue to lead Mojang on the correct path it needs to be going.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 16, 2014

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Let the tears flow

http://minecrafttears.tumblr.com/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Still think his sudden loving over of his friends and co-workers severely outranks any way he might have "wronged" his fans.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Vib Rib posted:

Still think his sudden loving over of his friends and co-workers severely outranks any way he might have "wronged" his fans.

This, for real. Minecraft as a game :toot: whatever, but shafting his workforce is a real hard thing to try to justify. Not having any shares for anyone but him and the other two guys. Pile on the rumours about not paying decent wages and not paying relocation expenses to employees that they demand relocate to Sweden and it's just a bad time.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd bet he hooks them up with a bonus of some kind after everything's finalized. And who's to say these people are his friends, he hired a bunch of them from the modding community, they might be a bunch of assholes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arkitektbmw posted:

How? He sold a company. A name is changing hands to other hands. If Minecraft is a gigantic cash cow as is the crew working on it will likely not notice much of a change. Even if they do being able to say "Oh by the way, I worked on Minecraft, you know, that iconic game that sold millions of copies" in an interview will go a long way in landing those dudes new jobs.

If the people signed contracts with Mojang than those contracts still exist. The company changing hands doesn't magically invalidate their jobs, contracts, and incomes overnight. Maybe Microsoft will attempt to dick them over, maybe Microsoft won't. Who knows?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Schweinhund posted:

I'd bet he hooks them up with a bonus of some kind after everything's finalized. And who's to say these people are his friends, he hired a bunch of them from the modding community, they might be a bunch of assholes.

He could have saved himself a lot of effort and given them shares to Mojang so they could get their payout long before the Microsoft deal. He chose not to, so I very much doubt he'll just charitably gives out a bonus, especially since now post-Microsoft there might be some clauses in there that says he CAN'T do anything of the sort.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How? He sold a company. A name is changing hands to other hands. If Minecraft is a gigantic cash cow as is the crew working on it will likely not notice much of a change. Even if they do being able to say "Oh by the way, I worked on Minecraft, you know, that iconic game that sold millions of copies" in an interview will go a long way in landing those dudes new jobs.

If the people signed contracts with Mojang than those contracts still exist. The company changing hands doesn't magically invalidate their jobs, contracts, and incomes overnight. Maybe Microsoft will attempt to dick them over, maybe Microsoft won't. Who knows?

Because unlike, oh I dunno, say Google, who gave all their employees shares in their company Notch did not. Google chose to share and give shares (heh) to their employees, who then caught a nice windfall when Google went public. When Google went public everyone AT Google made a ton of money and it was good and everyone was happy, including the dude that worked as their chef.
Notch however, and his indie self and indie company, did not share anything with anyone and instead took the lion's share of the buyout deal along with the two other people. So now, everything is called into question including old contracts, because it's under a new ownership now and under an entirely new corporate culture. What Notch did was totally within his rights and inline with how capitalism works, but he could have been a nicer person about it like every other startup in the history of the world and shared it with his employees. He didn't though and now has billion(s?) where the people who worked at Mojang that weren't founders have nothing.

Nothing might change or everything might change. Mojang isn't Mojang anymore, Mojang is now Microsoft and you can bet your rear end all those contracts and agreements are going to be revisited once everything starts to settle down. You don't have to keep things going just because you bought into it that way.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Insert joke here about Notch taking his final vacation. Time for Minecraft to die and rot, I guess. Notch did more work when he was alone than when he had a company, so I can't imagine how slow the development is going to get now that Microsoft holds it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Source your quotes

Like three posts above this one?

Lifespan posted:

He is the majority shareholder. When we are talking about a business that just sold for $2.5B and pulls in $350+M/year in revenue, you can't just walk away without giving it away.

But that's what I'm asking. That Twitter idiot was asking him why he sold it to another company instead of leaving, and Notch said he'd still be responsible for it (implying he didn't want the responsibilities, like that's the only driving force behind selling). So, how would he still have had responsibilities to Mojang if he gave it away? His response makes it sound like he HAD to sell in order to separate himself from Mojang. And since I am an idiot, I am asking someone to tell me if that is how things work.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jamesman posted:

Like three posts above this one?

But that's what I'm asking. That Twitter idiot was asking him why he sold it to another company instead of leaving, and Notch said he'd still be responsible for it (implying he didn't want the responsibilities, like that's the only driving force behind selling). So, how would he still have had responsibilities to Mojang if he gave it away? His response makes it sound like he HAD to sell in order to separate himself from Mojang. And since I am an idiot, I am asking someone to tell me if that is how things work.

:v:

Oh. Well would YOU give away something you could instead give away AND make 2.5 billion dollars on?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

KakerMix posted:

Because unlike, oh I dunno, say Google, who gave all their employees shares in their company Notch did not. Google chose to share and give shares (heh) to their employees, who then caught a nice windfall when Google went public. When Google went public everyone AT Google made a ton of money and it was good and everyone was happy, including the dude that worked as their chef.
Notch however, and his indie self and indie company, did not share anything with anyone and instead took the lion's share of the buyout deal along with the two other people. So now, everything is called into question including old contracts, because it's under a new ownership now and under an entirely new corporate culture. What Notch did was totally within his rights and inline with how capitalism works, but he could have been a nicer person about it like every other startup in the history of the world and shared it with his employees. He didn't though and now has billion(s?) where the people who worked at Mojang that weren't founders have nothing.

It wasn't about the money to him bro.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Harminoff posted:

It wasn't about the money to him bro.

I know Notch is just so ~indie~

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

KakerMix posted:

:v:

Oh. Well would YOU give away something you could instead give away AND make 2.5 billion dollars on?

Forget the giving away part. That muddies the water. A better question is this:

As the owner of the company, what responsibilities would he have had if he had just walked away and sat back as nothing but majority shareholder, giving up his actual "job-like" position in the company in the process? Why couldn't he walk away as majority shareholder and just keep making a bunch of money and let other people do the actual work?

Perhaps he was aware of the shittiness of being a Mojang employee and wanted to wash his hands of the company by selling. They aren't his problem now, even though technically it is a problem he created.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ToastyPotato posted:

As the owner of the company, what responsibilities would he have had if he had just walked away and sat back as nothing but majority shareholder, giving up his actual "job-like" position in the company in the process? Why couldn't he walk away as majority shareholder and just keep making a bunch of money and let other people do the actual work?

Perhaps he was aware of the shittiness of being a Mojang employee and wanted to wash his hands of the company by selling. They aren't his problem now, even though technically it is a problem he created.

Sometimes you just want to walk away. I imagine Notch felt the same sort of 'freeness' that you feel when you go home from quiting a job. That sort of feeling can be very desirable if you've been wanting out for a long time. I don't blame the guy for leaving at all, just the way he did it to his employees.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Haha these idiots

everyone says they wouldnt do this and woulndt do that for a million dollars but you slap ten grand in cash on the table and every single one of these turds would suck a dick in front of their mama

i would no lie sell out every single coworker and leave them in a hobo den for like twelve hundred

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Haha these idiots

everyone says they wouldnt do this and woulndt do that for a million dollars but you slap ten grand in cash on the table and every single one of these turds would suck a dick in front of their mama

i would no lie sell out every single coworker and leave them in a hobo den for like twelve hundred

I don't know where this is coming from because absolutely everyone is already saying the opposite of what you're calling people idiots about. I cannot find a single post that says they wouldn't do the deal Notch did.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't understand. If you have coworkers, they are your BROTHERS IN BLOOD

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I know some of y'all in this thread may have trouble with the "Theory of Mind" due to, ahem, reasons, but people actually do hold values other than yours sometimes.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
It is easier to walk away from something after you set it ablaze.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

Because he was chairman of the board. Before this he was not on Mojang payroll aside from dividends from his ownership of the company. When a company gets to the size of theirs you operate with a board who approves the CEOs direction of the company and they have to vote on it. Considering the small amount of owners of the company this meant he was the driving vote in all things Mojang so even as a non-acting partner he still had to approve the companies actions.

Most startups act in a very similar action and this is nothing out of the norm. The Googles and Facebook millionaires are the non-norm and a vast majority of owners of startups do not give very much if any equity out. With how series a, b, c funding works even those who get in on the ground floor end up with very little in comparison to the founders and most equity is nothing more than a guarantee they can pay you a lower than normal wage in the hopes you will get that back in the eventual acquisition.

This post explains how company equity works quite well - http://www.payne.org/index.php/Startup_Equity_For_Employees

The main takeaway though is because of Minecraft's success Mojang never needed outside investors however by the time it was a company it had enough liquidity and assets that it never needed to offer equity to future employees. Their hiring practices are whatever they may be but realize "Work for Minecraft!" will pull any dumb 20-something to Sweden in the hopes they get that fabled "gently caress you" money that you hear about. Only thing, is there was never a reason for the founders to ever give up equity unless they had some sort of compassion for their employees.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hahahah

He could have provided equity for each of the dozen or so people working on the most successful game of all time for years so they could walk away from this millionaires

OR

"Now they have Minecraft on their resume! That's like, a guaranteed job!"

loving moron

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

horse mans posted:

Hahahah

He could have provided equity for each of the dozen or so people working on the most successful game of all time for years so they could walk away from this millionaires

OR

"Now they have Minecraft on their resume! That's like, a guaranteed job!"

loving moron

Greed's a bitch, yo.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

flyboi posted:

Greed's a bitch, yo.

It wasn't about the money to him so why should it be any different for his employees?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"It was never about the money." Minecraft creator Markus Persson stated, as he prepared himself to dive into his new olympic-size swimming pool filled with crisp $100 bills and hookers. ~Forbes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The question, then, is how Mojang payed their employees. I don't know. Do you know? For all we know he could have given each new hire a gold car. If he payed them beans then cashed out and gave them nothing then yes he's a shithead but from what I'm gathering he wasn't all that involved in Mojang's operations later on. He may very well be going "well I'm not involved in this these days, time to cash out and move on." Yes, I'll agree that he should spread his billions around but I don't really see why cashing out is necessarily awful in and of itself.

GenPage
Dec 19, 2013

KakerMix posted:

This, for real. Minecraft as a game :toot: whatever, but shafting his workforce is a real hard thing to try to justify. Not having any shares for anyone but him and the other two guys. Pile on the rumours about not paying decent wages and not paying relocation expenses to employees that they demand relocate to Sweden and it's just a bad time.

I love how Marc didn't find out until right AFTER he moved.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The question, then, is how Mojang payed their employees. I don't know. Do you know? For all we know he could have given each new hire a gold car.

He put them to work on Scrooooooolls

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes, I'll agree that he should spread his billions around but I don't really see why cashing out is necessarily awful in and of itself.

Him leaving is fine and even his shafting of his associates (relatively) is 'fine' I just think he's a huge spergin weirdo and also a selfish rear end in a top hat for not sharing. Maybe he will, but he isn't right now.

I run a small business with a few other people and my employees welfare matters to me. I'd sell out for the right price too but I guess I care enough about people I know that I'd share literal billions with. I mean even angle it selfishly, I want someone to shop Ferraris with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Mojang has about 30 employees. They could offer each a million dollars to make up for it and it would still only eat up 0,1% of the money they're gonna get. It's really a dick move.