Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Szurumbur posted:

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns - yes, Hope, I know escaping makes an hour pass, thanks for reminding me again and again, I couldn't glance it from the clock and my memory is heavily impaired.

Also I understand that it's a part of time management system, but not being able to stock up on Potions and only being able to buy them as the inventory slots become free is a hassle. Just have adding the potions from the stock use up time or EP or something, there aren't even stores everywhere.

And while I'm at it, it took me a fair amount of time to realize that the combat is actually turn based and is a version of a traditional ATB combat, not real time - which might be obvious in retrospect, but I treated it more like the latter and were constantly annoyed at its limitations.

Also a little thing: I know very little of corporate and trademark law, but was it really necessary to write the title with TM and © signs? It looks exceptionally silly.

My biggest beef about Lightning Returns, is the lack of a party system. I never played the first one - only the second and well, and their isn't really much to get invested story-wise in with Lightning here. At least with a party, you'd have people sort of bouncing off each other and interacting and sort of getting you drawn in a bit more but Lightning is just cold and brooding most of the time and just generally kind of boring.

Also, still think the NG+ thing where you unlock upgrading weapon customization is dumb and should have been in the game the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Project Zomboid has all kinds of clever little mechanics like using sheets as curtains so zombies can't see you, but you know what it doesn't have? The ability to boil water. It has rivers, pots and fire. But there is no possibility of combining these items for drinking water.

But you can build raincatchers!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scarycave posted:

My biggest beef about Lightning Returns, is the lack of a party system. I never played the first one - only the second and well, and their isn't really much to get invested story-wise in with Lightning here. At least with a party, you'd have people sort of bouncing off each other and interacting and sort of getting you drawn in a bit more but Lightning is just cold and brooding most of the time and just generally kind of boring.

Also, still think the NG+ thing where you unlock upgrading weapon customization is dumb and should have been in the game the whole time.

But if you have party members that will detract from that one SE employee's waifu Lightning. Recently FF14 had an event where Lightning appears and my god, the dialogue for it just reeks like Yoshi P was slipped some yen to make Lightning sound like this super ultra cool character.

I was surprised there wasn't some weird sweaty Lightning armpit money shots that FF13 loved so much.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The menus in Destiny are atrociously bad and seem to be designed for a mouse.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Isn't it usually the other way around?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah the menus in Borderlands 2 were obnoxiously bad for mouse controls, at least back when it launched-- haven't played it in a while.

There's a part of the game where you have to toss a shield from your inventory into a grinder. I tossed a good gun in there by accident IMMEDIATELY after a friend had just done the exact same thing thanks to the terrible menus. :mad:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah, but in Destiny, you actual control a cursor on the screen with the analog stick. It's literally designed for a pointer device like a mouse.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'd say it works really well though. It's a big fuckoff circle that speeds up when you're not on an option and slows down when you are. Makes navigation of weapon and power select faster.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The AI for the followers in Skyrim is so bad that whenever I try them out, I end up telling them to gently caress off back to wherever they came from within five minutes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Celery Face posted:

The AI for the followers in Skyrim is so bad that whenever I try them out, I end up telling them to gently caress off back to wherever they came from within five minutes.
It's not just the AI, it's the combination of bad AI with tiny corridors everywhere. Also followers can't permadie unless you hit them. "Yes, Lydia, please run ahead, block the entrance, then exchange melee blows with a monster for five minutes. I'd shoot it, but if I use any of my magic right now you will die forever."

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not just the AI, it's the combination of bad AI with tiny corridors everywhere. Also followers can't permadie unless you hit them. "Yes, Lydia, please run ahead, block the entrance, then exchange melee blows with a monster for five minutes. I'd shoot it, but if I use any of my magic right now you will die forever."
It's also stupid that you can't choose what weapons they'll use. You could give Cicero another daedric dagger but he'll likely only use one and when I upgraded Mjoll's sword and a cool shield I had lying around just for her, she got out her useless bow instead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Dragonborn DLC "power" that prevents your magic from hurting followers should've just been patched into the base game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm playing Darksiders, and I'm at the point where all that's left to do is fight the final boss and get all the upgrades. I've opened every chest in the game, but I'll still need tens of thousands more souls to buy the rest of the upgrades, so I get to tediously grind them. Also speaking of grinding, the best way to get health is by opening green chests and finding health stone upgrades. Once you've opened all the cheats, the only way is to very, VERY slowly fill it back up by fighting enemies with a life stealing weapon upgrade, or finding a group of very weak enemies that can always be istakilled without having to weaken first. Any other enemy doesn't drop health at all. It's especially bad on the highest difficulty where hits take a lot out of you.

Grinding in any single player game is awful design.

Also, there a weird bug where if you exit the game and start it up again without also restarting Steam, it won't start tracking achievements agan. So I've missed two end-game achievements by not having an earlier save.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I must've side-stepped those grinding problems by completely ignoring the scythe and fists. Darksiders is weird to me in the ways that it is both great and lovely about quality of life issues. Like, it's the only game where wall-climbing isn't tedious, bullshit; but then again, it's not set-up well enough to do the grinding that you obviously need to do to get everything, and I remember some egregious back-tracking. Back-tracking is OK when there is some meaningful change between visits, but Darksiders just would have you go out of your way to flip a switch or get a bomb or something for no good reason.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'd say it works really well though. It's a big fuckoff circle that speeds up when you're not on an option and slows down when you are. Makes navigation of weapon and power select faster.

I really could not disagree more - I manage to overshoot the edges of my inventory consistently.

And on top of that, even if it WAS perfect for heat-of-battle inventory management, it's still dumb as hell for stuff like selecting your character at the beginning of the game and the In Orbit screens. When you're in orbit, there is only one of two possible buttons on the entire goddamn screen, SELECT DESTINATION or LAUNCH. There's no button to "click" them, you have to go over with the mouse cursor and select them every time.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I swear Dark Corners of the Earth, if I hear one more person shout "the order of dagon" I'm going to murder someone. Also, I hate how the stealth sections often give you no idea of where you're actually supposed to be going.

edit: oh joy, another thing that crashes the game if I try to push it, except this time instead of just making a save point useless, there's an item I need to advance the plot behind it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Sep 17, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just started playing Deus Ex: The Fall today, and it seems pretty fun so far, but that tutorial... Was it meant for people who've never seen a computer before but somehow managed to buy, install and start playing the game? Moving the mouse to look around, you say? Well, first you're going to have to tell me what this "mouse" is, all I see is this plastic gizmo!

Also tried out Serious Sam Classics: Revolution which I assume I must have got in a bundle or something because I knew absolutely nothing about it. It's like someone set out to modernise Doom II, but for some reason they felt that one thing that had been missing was pointless infodumps delivered every time you see a new weapon or monster.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tiggum posted:

Just started playing Deus Ex: The Fall today, and it seems pretty fun so far, but that tutorial... Was it meant for people who've never seen a computer before but somehow managed to buy, install and start playing the game? Moving the mouse to look around, you say? Well, first you're going to have to tell me what this "mouse" is, all I see is this plastic gizmo!

Probably just directly translated from the mobile game, where those commands would have been more along the lines of "drag from the center to look around." They're more helpful there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tiggum posted:

Also tried out Serious Sam Classics: Revolution which I assume I must have got in a bundle or something because I knew absolutely nothing about it. It's like someone set out to modernise Doom II, but for some reason they felt that one thing that had been missing was pointless infodumps delivered every time you see a new weapon or monster.

It's a user maintained version of the first two Serious Sam games. You got if for free if you owned both of them.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm playing through Ratchet & Clank HD collection and wow does the first one have terrible endgame. The success depends on the amount of money (bolts) you have. Not only the last level is the longest in the whole game, but it has only one checkpoint near the beginning. If you die at any point before the boss, you have to go through 2/3 of it again. It's peppered with flying enemies that shoot lots of bullets with impeccable accuracy and there are some heavy machines that you can take out only with explosives. Problem is, ammo for these costs a lot and you will need it for the final boss which is the cheapest one there is in 3D platformers. He's not even that difficult but you rarely have anything to shoot him with. And if you die and restart you lose all the ammo and money so after few tries you're hosed. Oh, and the last level is apparently easier with one superweapon you can buy, but it costs huge amount of bolts and you have to grind like crazy or exploit some glitches to get that sum.

Geez, I know this is the first game in the franchise but this is just terrible design. Even first Jak & Daxter didn't have that much bullshit at the end. I'm pretty good at platformers and wanted to beat this one because the savefile carries over to the next games but I can't see myself beating it right now.

Terminally Bored has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Sep 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's a certain amount of comedy in needing a pile of money to beat capitalism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm playing through Ratchet & Clank HD collection and wow does the first one have terrible endgame. The success depends on the amount of money (bolts) you have. Not only the last level is the longest in the whole game, but it has only one checkpoint near the beginning. If you die at any point before the boss, you have to go through 2/3 of it again. It's peppered with flying enemies that shoot lots of bullets with impeccable accuracy and there are some heavy machines that you can take out only with explosives. Problem is, ammo for these costs a lot and you will need it for the final boss which is the cheapest one there is in 3D platformers. He's not even that difficult but you rarely have anything to shoot him with. And if you die and restart you lose all the ammo and money so after few tries you're hosed. Oh, and the last level is apparently easier with one superweapon you can buy, but it costs huge amount of bolts and you have to grind like crazy or exploit some glitches to get that sum.

Geez, I know this is the first game in the franchise but this is just terrible design. Even first Jak & Daxter didn't have that much bullshit at the end. I'm pretty good at platformers and wanted to beat this one because the savefile carries over to the next games but I can't see myself beating it right now.
R&C 1 is a mess. The rest of the series is fantastic (although Tools of Destruction is a little hit and miss), but there's a reason why people thought Jak and Daxter would hit it big instead. Of course, R&C just got better after that first one, and Jak and Daxter got very uh... Jak and Daxter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Even first Jak & Daxter didn't have that much bullshit at the end.

The first Jak & Daxter had bullshit at the end? Did I forget something obvious? :confused:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

R&C 1 is a mess. The rest of the series is fantastic (although Tools of Destruction is a little hit and miss), but there's a reason why people thought Jak and Daxter would hit it big instead. Of course, R&C just got better after that first one, and Jak and Daxter got very uh... Jak and Daxter.

Yeah, I wrote about J&D itt having played it few months ago. Really liked it, seemed like a natural continuation of Crash Bandicoot. But then 2 was really weak, changed the tone to angsty and became a really bad GTA clone. Lost my interest right there.

Xoidanor posted:

The first Jak & Daxter had bullshit at the end? Did I forget something obvious? :confused:

The final boss was ok, but the final level was really long with wonky checkpoints. The level was round and vertical and sometimes the game didn't remember which door did you come in so you have to navigate the whole huge room with literally nothing but floating platforms to get to the boss. And the camera didn't help.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ryoshi posted:

I really could not disagree more - I manage to overshoot the edges of my inventory consistently.

And on top of that, even if it WAS perfect for heat-of-battle inventory management, it's still dumb as hell for stuff like selecting your character at the beginning of the game and the In Orbit screens. When you're in orbit, there is only one of two possible buttons on the entire goddamn screen, SELECT DESTINATION or LAUNCH. There's no button to "click" them, you have to go over with the mouse cursor and select them every time.

Well, you're absolutely allowed to not like it, and I will admit to overshooting my weapon when switching and needing to reopen the fly out, but I don't think you can reasonably say that the interface was designed for PC just because of the cursor aspect. Remember, the game was at no point destined for PC. I think they just wanted to try something different.

I feel it was more hit than miss, but I can see others not liking it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, I wrote about J&D itt having played it few months ago. Really liked it, seemed like a natural continuation of Crash Bandicoot. But then 2 was really weak, changed the tone to angsty and became a really bad GTA clone. Lost my interest right there.
I love Jak 2 and Jak 3. Jak 2 especially is one of my favorite platformers. But they are seriously acquired tastes, and they are games with a lot of issues, so I get why people wouldn't enjoy them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There are still a lot of things I like about the first Ratchet & Clank, such as how levels usually give you two or three paths to explore, some which require an item to enter and some which reward an item for completing. You also often have multiple planets to explore at once, so it's pretty flexible in letting you choose what order to tackle things in. It also makes it more interesting to replay, especially if you know where to find the most useful items early on.

While they improved the combat in the sequel with a strafe button, and the ability to level up your weapons and health, the difficulty is just through the roof. They added a difficulty select in the PS3 games, and even those on hard were nowhere near as challenging as Ratchet & Clank 2. The problem is that a lot of weapons' animations lock you in place unless you're constantly side-jumping, and you really have to keep close to the enemies since it's impossible to aim without the lock-on target. Ratchet & Clank 3 is everything the second game tried but done right, and like The Last Crusade it also brings back some of my favourite characters from the original (and like Sonic 3 & Knuckles I have no idea why some people prefer the second game in the series).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

So should I force myself through the R&C1 or just skip the ending and go to 2? Are the save carryovers worth it?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I think the only thing the games check for is if save data exists AT ALL for the previous games but don't quote me on that.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I played Tokyo Jungle for the first time last night. For the most part, I really enjoyed it. The concept is interesting (humans disappear from Tokyo, pets and zoo animals escape and go feral, and you play as those animals), the mechanics are easy to grasp, and combat is really intuitive and fast-paced. However, there are definitely a few issues. For one, the inventory and equipment systems are never explained during the tutorial, and so I had to look through the documentation, which is thankfully in-game, to figure out how to use consumables. More glaring flaws are the camera, which can't be adjusted and is sometimes a pain, especially during stealth sequences, and the map, which is awful. There's no way to move around the map screen, and so you can only ever look at the map of the area you're in, and maybe small portions of surrounding zones, or you can zoom out and look at a map of most of the world, but with virtually no details.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I forgot how bad the actual fighting in Secret of Mana is. The unpredictable hit queue and weird invincibility frames and the fact that spells stop all the action and can't be avoided, okay, I remember all of that, but it's just absurdly sloppy on every level. So far I've fought two bosses (mantis ant and spiky tiger) whose non-magic attacks were all straight unavoidable too, not because they're flagged to be like magic but because there's simply no way to get away from them. After that, you have magic, so the problem doesn't really get fixed but you can steamroll everything until the final boss with pure attrition.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I think the only thing the games check for is if save data exists AT ALL for the previous games but don't quote me on that.
And what weapons you own. So if you got to the final boss, you're good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Magrunner: Dark Pulse (Why do first installments have colons in their names? ) for free in a GOG sale and I gave up 45 minutes in for as it's really insipid. It turns out that a high-tech glove that push and pulls coloured boxes is a lot less sexy and rewarding than a gun that shoots portals. What killed the game for me early on was that between each level you're herded back in to the room you started in so a holographic NPC can blather inane exposition at you. Unskippable crap like this happening so frequently early on that the pacing is killed entirely.

The puzzles oscillate between "challenging and fun" to "oh gently caress this" pretty regularly after the first major event happens. There's some good in there, but not enough to save it from the bad (and the "oh goddamnit it's another game based on loving H. P. Lovecraft" realization, which is primarily why I quit it).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mierenneuker posted:

It's a user maintained version of the first two Serious Sam games. You got if for free if you owned both of them.

Huh. Turns out I do have those as well, although again I don't remember buying them or know anything about them. :shrug:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yes. Destiny has controls wherein you actually move a mouse pointer with the gamepad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Jak 2 and Jak 3. Jak 2 especially is one of my favorite platformers. But they are seriously acquired tastes, and they are games with a lot of issues, so I get why people wouldn't enjoy them.

Jak 2 is seriously one of my all-time favourite games. The goofy grim-dark story, the gta-lite elements, the nice variation of the platforming segments and the unbelievably ramping difficulty all just work so well together.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

I played Tokyo Jungle for the first time last night. For the most part, I really enjoyed it. The concept is interesting (humans disappear from Tokyo, pets and zoo animals escape and go feral, and you play as those animals), the mechanics are easy to grasp, and combat is really intuitive and fast-paced. However, there are definitely a few issues. For one, the inventory and equipment systems are never explained during the tutorial, and so I had to look through the documentation, which is thankfully in-game, to figure out how to use consumables. More glaring flaws are the camera, which can't be adjusted and is sometimes a pain, especially during stealth sequences, and the map, which is awful. There's no way to move around the map screen, and so you can only ever look at the map of the area you're in, and maybe small portions of surrounding zones, or you can zoom out and look at a map of most of the world, but with virtually no details.
Huh, the first time I picked up a consumable and equipment a large info window popped up with the controls listed at the bottom. Definitely agree on the map though.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I'm playing the Ni No Kuni post game and a feature that was great during the story has turned against me. If you're a way higher level than monsters in an area they run away from you instead of attacking. That's ideal when you want to explore or look for things but not when you are trying to capture low level monsters as they can outrun your character. If they just slowed down how fast the monsters fled it'd be ideal.

Do your side quests and use your merit cards to buy the perk that makes it easier to sneak up on monsters.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Yes. Destiny has controls wherein you actually move a mouse pointer with the gamepad.

This is true in the PS4 version too. They could actually use the touchpad for more than a big gimmick button, but.. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Haha, wow. Star Fox Command loving sucks. The core gameplay is just really goddamn bad.

Star Fox 64 is still a lot of fun. Sucks that Nintendo kept handing Star Fox projects to outside developers who kept loving up a simple formula.

Also sucks that Command's super ugly art lives on in Fox's Smash Bros. design.