Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The one thing I question is how it seems like he did this on a whim. "2 weeks ago some people were mad at me on the internet and I watched a youtube video so I sold my 2 billion dollar company." He should at least pretend it was a difficult decision that he struggled to make since it affects so many people's lives and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Whatever happened to that lovely space game that was being made is that still a thing ?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The one where we fight each other with the laws of entropy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sylink posted:

Whatever happened to that lovely space game that was being made is that still a thing ?

No. Notch pretty much stated in his letter than he isn't trying to make anything remotely popular again, so a big game project is right out the window. Besides, in signing such a deal, he probably had to sign some kind of No Compete clause or something which means he can't really make anything that might compete with the stuff MS just bought from him for X amount of time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schweinhund posted:

The one thing I question is how it seems like he did this on a whim. "2 weeks ago some people were mad at me on the internet and I watched a youtube video so I sold my 2 billion dollar company." He should at least pretend it was a difficult decision that he struggled to make since it affects so many people's lives and stuff.

Yea I'm sure he actually just randomly decided this and surprised his staff and cackled as they wept, or whatever the current bitchfest is here.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm sure he actually just randomly decided this and surprised his staff and cackled as they wept, or whatever the current bitchfest is here.

Did you actually read his letter because that's basically what he said.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Considering Mojang made a guy move to Sweden and didn't find out about the sale till after he had sold most of his stuff and currently lives with no furniture in temporary housing and might not have a job he moved from the US to loving Sweden for yeah Notch might as well as laughed to top off the rear end in a top hat meter

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sylink posted:

Or Scrolls, for that matter? Was that the Big Thing that failed he referenced in his letter?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Also even before all this, I think Notch has spent more on vanity "donations" than paying employees or generally running his "company" that has barely started up.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Or Scrolls, for that matter? Was that the Big Thing that failed he referenced in his letter?

Jakob, one of the guys cashing out, is the dudes behind Scrolls. :v:

Scrolls is basically coasting at this point, regular work gets done on it and its "popular" enough that it makes back maintenance and development costs, but not enough to actually turn a profit, according to what little we know.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 16, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The only other thing he said he was working on and showed anyone was the space based game that was going to have programming be a major part of the game or something.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Can anyone recommend any good Australian/NZ servers? I'm looking for a server to get back into Minecraft with and would love something with a sane ping.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Notch never came across as a business man, nor as a great game programmer. His entire story here really is a case of right idea, right time, right place. Minecraft or something like it was inevitable.

He never wanted to be a AAA game maker or a big business owner. From all his behavior and junk, he seemed to only enjoy the community and working on small programming projects. When minecraft became big, it wasn't his little project anymore, and he tried to go back to that by starting small projects like Scrolls and the weird space sci-fi game. None of which had the same success where the community just loved it. When the community became toxic in Minecraft, the last bit of enjoyment for him seemed to be gone. So not surprising he sold it, and it'd be dumb to not sell it for a lot of money.

Minecraft wasn't 'his' anymore. His own team has been working on ripping out his code and replacing it with theirs!

I'm surprised he didn't sell it sooner, though the employee thing is pretty lovely and I have no sympathy for him if he doesn't compensate them at all.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No one is even bitching or all that upset here so you can crawl back in your hole. I support him selling it 100% whatever happens with the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Schweinhund posted:

No one is even bitching or all that upset here so you can crawl back in your hole. I support him selling it 100% whatever happens with the game.

Did you read any of the thread because you apparently missed a good two thirds of the posts in the last thirty pages

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm not sure how Microsoft will squeeze $2.5 billion out of the deal, but Minecraft has deep penetration in our culture for a video game, so it's certainly worth more than just its yearly profits to a company with deep pockets like Microsoft.

Does anyone think Microsoft's lawyers will be more aggressive going after all of the knockoff versions of Minecraft going around?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Eh, I think the latest version of Minecraft is quite decent for the final product that I paid maybe ten bucks for years ago. I'll just not update and play that if I don't like what Microsoft does with it, which I likely won't.

And Notch, well good for him. I would've taken that stupidly large mountain of money also. Who gives a good flying goddamn if it makes some spergs on the internet angry.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Considering Mojang made a guy move to Sweden and didn't find out about the sale till after he had sold most of his stuff and currently lives with no furniture in temporary housing and might not have a job he moved from the US to loving Sweden for yeah Notch might as well as laughed to top off the rear end in a top hat meter

I doubt any of the Mojang owners could even tell any of the employees until the deal was complete for lots of reasons.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Did you read any of the thread because you apparently missed a good two thirds of the posts in the last thirty pages

people have been pretty reasonable and even keeled. Just pointing out that Notch is weird and probably a hypocrite isn't bitching, it's just discussion. The few people who were talking about suing Microsoft because they paid for the alpha version were kind of weird, but everyone else has been fine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Slowpoke! posted:

I'm not sure how Microsoft will squeeze $2.5 billion out of the deal, but Minecraft has deep penetration in our culture for a video game, so it's certainly worth more than just its yearly profits to a company with deep pockets like Microsoft.

Does anyone think Microsoft's lawyers will be more aggressive going after all of the knockoff versions of Minecraft going around?
Yes I'm sure they'll get right on that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If notch is asking reddit how to spend 2.5 Billion dollars, I imagine the dude could have thrown a million to each employee to make sure they didn't get hosed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CastleMiner is hot garbage and if Microsoft does shut it down I'd be ecstatic. Especially since its devs apparently get so butthurt over people calling it a Minecraft clone that they've banned people from their site just for mentioning Minecraft.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Trabisnikof posted:

If notch is asking reddit how to spend 2.5 Billion dollars, I imagine the dude could have thrown a million to each employee to make sure they didn't get hosed.

That's not the real Notch.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I remember when MC got big and Notch was talking to Valve. He said instead of selling the IP he wanted to use it as a foundation to making his own game company - he didn't want to work at Valve, he wanted to be the next Valve.

In terms of what's best for him, selling to MS wins. What's best for the game? I'd probably put my money on a Valve developed game, but alas it is not to be.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Fewd posted:

Eh, I think the latest version of Minecraft is quite decent for the final product that I paid maybe ten bucks for years ago. I'll just not update and play that if I don't like what Microsoft does with it, which I likely won't.

And Notch, well good for him. I would've taken that stupidly large mountain of money also. Who gives a good flying goddamn if it makes some spergs on the internet angry.

Yeah, I'm happy with 1.8. I'll have that at least, when I need some downtime. I'm okay with that.

Not angry or anything, but I think it's okay to be a little sad. I've had a lot of good times playing Minecraft with my husband and IRL friends over the last couple of years. I don't really have any faith in Microsoft. My impression of the 360 is a fickle box for serving up advertising with a side of video games. When it seems like everything in the world is owned by a handful of huge companies, it's disappointing to see yet another property get gobbled up.

It was probably inevitable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trivia posted:

I remember when MC got big and Notch was talking to Valve. He said instead of selling the IP he wanted to use it as a foundation to making his own game company - he didn't want to work at Valve, he wanted to be the next Valve.
For as long as I live I will wonder what Minecraft by Valve would have been like.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At the very least, the mod API would have been finished a long time ago with integrated steam workshop support.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

For as long as I live I will wonder what Minecraft by Valve would have been like.

Microsoft just bought Minecraft because there are more Mojang accounts than Origin ones, they want a new platform and they're starting with Minecraft. Get ready to log into the Mojang Digital Experience for all your Windows PC Gaming Needs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
People in this thread have speculated that they will plan a Minecraft 2 with a selling point of "better graphics", but I can't for the life of me figure out what the crap they could do without running into the problem that the geometry becomes so complex that it will just refuse to run.

Anyone got any clue what they could do to go that way with it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm a hair late on this front...but where's this sentiment of "Notch screwed over his employees" coming from? As far as I've heard, everyone other than the three shareholding owners are still Mojang employees, just now that means they are also Microsoft employees.

They still have employment, they still are getting their paycheck. If Microsoft chooses to lay off or fire them...that's their fault, not Notch's.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

People in this thread have speculated that they will plan a Minecraft 2 with a selling point of "better graphics", but I can't for the life of me figure out what the crap they could do without running into the problem that the geometry becomes so complex that it will just refuse to run.

Anyone got any clue what they could do to go that way with it?

I remember when "hi def" texture packs were all the rage. Like, 32x32 textures or even higher. and that was done using a mod over the top of the existing game. If Microsoft pushes out a Minecraft 2 using a 32 or 64 texture as standard, but keeps the same voxel based gameplay, suddenly things look "so much nicer" without changing the formula at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jivjov posted:

. . .still Mojang employees, just now that means they are also Microsoft employees.

If Microsoft chooses to lay off or fire them...that's their fault, not Notch's.

That is how they are being screwed over. Working at Mojang as an independent company, the only person who could fire them could be someone higher than them at Mojang. There's no chance of being laid off in the usual sense because everyone on the team is necessary to making the game. Working for Microsoft, their chance to be laid off at random in favor of bringing in other people to work on Minecraft increases exponentially.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

That is how they are being screwed over. Working at Mojang as an independent company, the only person who could fire them could be someone higher than them at Mojang. There's no chance of being laid off because everyone on the team is necessary to making the game. Working for Microsoft, their chance to be laid off at random in favor of bringing in other people to work on Minecraft increases exponentially.

Corporate buyouts happen all the time. I doubt that anywhere in the employment contracts Mojang employees were promised that only Notch would ever have the ability to fire them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Maybe this is what happened to Notch...?

http://ellaguro.blogspot.ca/2014/06/indie-entitlement.html?m=1

"maybe that also explains why all of its subjects have since seemed to develop a more troubled and cantankerous relationship with the limelight and participation in the indie game world as a whole. Indie Game: The Movie created false expectations for success in many young viewers' minds, and ended up leaving its unwitting subjects looking ungrateful for not greeting that newfound fame and success with open arms. you will never see Jon Blow or Edmund McMillen or Phil Fish openly talking to fans or acquaintances at videogame conferences (if you see them all) like you might have seen at some point before. they're aware of all the resentment placed on them for the ones being profiled, and their walls are up much higher. they seem deeply uncomfortable with the social effect participating in the movie has had on their lives and how they're perceived in the indie world. this is becoming a common trend with newly successful young male game makers who don't have the mental or emotional capacity to handle all the sudden money and fame from having a commercially successful game."

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-guilt-of-the-video-game-millionaires

"Markus Persson, who earned more than a hundred million dollars in 2012 from his game Minecraft, told me in 2013 that he also initially felt guilty about his newfound wealth and mostly limited his luxury to the latest computer. (He has now acclimatized somewhat, he says, and travels by private jet and hosts lavish parties for friends and fans.)

Despite Ismail’s warnings, Wreden still felt isolated and confused after his success. In February he wrote a frank blog post about the “depression” he has felt. He described an imagined conversation with someone chastising him for complaining. “Oh, yeah, we get it, real rough life you’ve got there,” he wrote. “Sounds pretty miserable to be loved for your art. Maybe go cry about it into a pile of money?”

For game designers, the pressure to replicate a former success can be far more paralyzing than simply deciding how to spend the money. Persson recently cancelled 0x10c, the game he left Minecraft to develop, citing a “creative block.” For Wreden, a major part of the problem is the scope that the money gives him to increase the ambition of his next project—like a filmmaker who moves from recording with a camcorder to managing a full-scale Hollywood-style production. “I like limitations,” Wreden told me. “It’s intimidating to think that we have enough time and resources to do whatever we want.”

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 16, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

So I'm a hair late on this front...but where's this sentiment of "Notch screwed over his employees" coming from? As far as I've heard, everyone other than the three shareholding owners are still Mojang employees, just now that means they are also Microsoft employees.

They still have employment, they still are getting their paycheck. If Microsoft chooses to lay off or fire them...that's their fault, not Notch's.

Well, the employee (Marc Watson) that sold his house in Seattle and moved to Sweden a few weeks ago is probably feeling a bit grumpy.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well, the employee (Marc Watson) that sold his house in Seattle and moved to Sweden a few weeks ago is probably feeling a bit grumpy.

You thought you had your dream job with Mojang?

Welcome to Microsoft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

Corporate buyouts happen all the time. I doubt that anywhere in the employment contracts Mojang employees were promised that only Notch would ever have the ability to fire them.

It is possibly a bit dickish to set up a company, hire a bunch of people, have said people make you a shitload of money working on your cash cow game, then sell said company because you felt angsty without perhaps giving the people who made you a shitload of money a small crumb of the pie.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I remember when "hi def" texture packs were all the rage. Like, 32x32 textures or even higher. and that was done using a mod over the top of the existing game. If Microsoft pushes out a Minecraft 2 using a 32 or 64 texture as standard, but keeps the same voxel based gameplay, suddenly things look "so much nicer" without changing the formula at all.

Sphax and the like can be used in upwards of 512x512 resolutions. Texture size isn't gonna warrant a new game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

Sphax and the like can be used in upwards of 512x512 resolutions. Texture size isn't gonna warrant a new game.

But it'd be a quick-and-easy way to crank out something wholly owned by Microsoft and sidestep the "Alpha buyers get all updates free" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

It is possibly a bit dickish to set up a company, hire a bunch of people, have said people make you a shitload of money working on your cash cow game, then sell said company because you felt angsty without perhaps giving the people who made you a shitload of money a small crumb of the pie.

They're already getting their "crumb of the pie". Their paycheck. They aren't entitled to any of the corporate sale money, any more than Microsoft employees would be to direct percentages of profit.