Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
If there's more than six rangers on a team what does it matter who's technically the "sixth ranger"? Especially now a days when the sixth ranger gets reduced to just another dude two episodes after he debuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The Sixth Ranger's appearance is considered a huge status quo change, usually when the main plot kicks in, someone who pushes the team to a new level of power, and changes the dynamics of the team through interactions. To say nothing of the new toys. So it has a certain level of ceremony and pomp to it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sixth is usually totally different than the rest. Different changer, different suit, their own mecha, etc. Utsusemimaru is the Sixth for Kyouryuuger because of this; everyone who shows up after him (if they're alive) uses a GabuRevolver and wears the same suit as the core five. Silver got a special GabuRevolver, but that's literally just a repaint and the suit is still just a silver version of the main group.

Sixes stand out as a special badass who appears regularly. Then guys like DekaMaster are special badasses who appear once in a while, or other ones who only appear at the end of the series, like Wolzard Fire.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I'll admit it, I'm kind of a Ranger fan JUST for the Sixes. Some people may prefer Reds, or Yellows, or Blues, and there are great examples of those but, when I was a kid, I didn't want to be Red, I wanted to be Titanium, or Green Samurai, or well, my namesake.

By that logic, Gai/Orion's the best because he's ALL of them.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...So, new episode, and its... a bit of an oddball.

I mean, considering Tensou involves totally new CGI work when he's used, and now gets an episode centred around him, so its certainly a curious choice for the staff to make. The handwave for why noone notices him is at once amusing and ludicrous, and Jake actually gets to show off some parkour moves in a neat non-action bit. But it just feels... so unnecessary, which I suspect is because its never been quite established what Tensou does. Like, we've vaguely seen him somehow work on projects for Gosei, but it doesn't seem like he's key to keeping the Command Center running, compared to Alpha working transporters, sending zords, etc.

The plot involves an alien superweapon that looks conveniently like a Japanese shrine, absorbing the power of a conveniently located storm. Gosei oversells it, as usual, and the legendary squadron bit is as dumb as it seemed initially.

This is one of those stories I simultaneously wish there were more of - original plot, footage, some character interaction - but at the same time am forced to remember how it can fall short if done improperly.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So apparently I can't watch the latest episode on Nick's site, because it is locked behind needing a TV Provider account, no of which is ether Xfinity or Comcast. Wow Nick, way to cut of a chuck of your online viewing audience directly at your site, at least it is free on hulu for now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mateo360 posted:

So apparently I can't watch the latest episode on Nick's site, because it is locked behind needing a TV Provider account, no of which is ether Xfinity or Comcast. Wow Nick, way to cut of a chuck of your online viewing audience directly at your site, at least it is free on hulu for now.
Try refreshing when you get that message, and it might go away. It did with full episode vids of Korra, of course those were different circumstances.
Never mind!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well that episode was odd.

This was a way earlier episode in Gokaiger, and it was the Carranger tribute. Gai hadn't shown up yet at this point, so why they saved it until after Orion showed up I have no clue. Obvious removal of the Turboranger gag.

But what gets me is, the dubbing over of the scene where Jealousshit is sitting in the trash and the woman comes by and throws trash on him. It was really awkward because the voice is terrible and they couldn't show her moving her mouth, instead opting for a freeze frame of him on the trash pile most of the time that she's talking. I just don't get it. They're spending time and money shooting new fight scenes with the Megaforce suits, but they can't shoot a scene with a woman and some trash bags? They really have to dub over the original Japanese footage for that? If it wasn't for all the scenes with him (I think his name is Invidia or something in English?) interacting with the English cast, I would have assumed they couldn't get his suit. But they obviously did. Which makes the decision to dub that one scene really weird.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Saban 2.0 era is lazy as hell and doesn't give a gently caress.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well that episode was odd.

This was a way earlier episode in Gokaiger, and it was the Carranger tribute. Gai hadn't shown up yet at this point, so why they saved it until after Orion showed up I have no clue. Obvious removal of the Turboranger gag.

But what gets me is, the dubbing over of the scene where Jealousshit is sitting in the trash and the woman comes by and throws trash on him. It was really awkward because the voice is terrible and they couldn't show her moving her mouth, instead opting for a freeze frame of him on the trash pile most of the time that she's talking. I just don't get it. They're spending time and money shooting new fight scenes with the Megaforce suits, but they can't shoot a scene with a woman and some trash bags? They really have to dub over the original Japanese footage for that? If it wasn't for all the scenes with him (I think his name is Invidia or something in English?) interacting with the English cast, I would have assumed they couldn't get his suit. But they obviously did. Which makes the decision to dub that one scene really weird.

I actually liked the initial bit between Jake and Noah, which I realise is the kind of thing I've said a bunch this season. I dunno, I just really prefer the small character moments in Super Megaforce, even cases like this where they're just goofing off and having fun.

As you say though, the rest of it is... odd. I do like how they switched it around to be one of the rangers for the dub, but given they're excising half the source season anyway, it seems like a strange and rather unnecessary episode to keep. Yes, its based off Carranger, which in turn was actually pulled over as Turbo, but... because the series doesn't do the returning rangers as a standard ala Gokaiger, there's no real indicator that its really meant to be the Turbo tribute episode. Its a weird back and forth of actual effort, and, well, :effort:

Though I kinda laughed at how grossed out Noah was by a human-alien love triangle. He uh, evidently hasn't looked too hard at the In Space records.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like how the episodes don't mention any of the history of the rangers they tranform into or anything. ITS THE ANNIVERSARY! The one time it's ok to lean on nostalgia they DONT.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It just hit me that I'm not sure how the super big team up at the end is supposed to work either considering that for the first few seasons, it was one continuous narrative. For example, if Tommy is the Green Ranger in the big group shots, who's the Red Zeo Ranger? It can't be someone else, because Tommy never passed the Zeo powers on. Same thing with the In Space Rangers, how can they be there at the same time as the Turbo Rangers?

Yeah yeah. I know the answer is "Saban doesn't give a gently caress."

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Morphing Grid. The answer is always Morphing Grid

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

It just hit me that I'm not sure how the super big team up at the end is supposed to work either considering that for the first few seasons, it was one continuous narrative. For example, if Tommy is the Green Ranger in the big group shots, who's the Red Zeo Ranger? It can't be someone else, because Tommy never passed the Zeo powers on. Same thing with the In Space Rangers, how can they be there at the same time as the Turbo Rangers?

Yeah yeah. I know the answer is "Saban doesn't give a gently caress."

This is SUPER easy to answer if you know the LORE OF RANGERDOM

AKA if you're a loving nerd.

There are next to NO conflicts in Power Rangers and the line up they produce.

Now we're not going to talk about Tommy, for a reason I'll get to, but let's go with the others.

MMPR is perfectly fine- Everyone from the original team can be said to have come back no problem, but if you want to acknowledge Trini's actress' passing, well that's where Aisha comes in.

Zeo is perfectly fine. Trey is the Gold Ranger, and the rest can stay.

Turbo is where things look henky, but you have an out! The ROBOT RANGERS that went into space to fight. So you can easily just slot them in, maybe have Justin reprise his role.

This frees up In Space just so.

That's the thing about Power Rangers- it was a constant narrative, but it also constantly changed the cast up.

The breaking point to all of this is Tommy himself, as he is the ONLY Ranger to have unique Ranger identities that are not shared with anyone else, in this era. So if you see more than one of him, except Turbo, you know they hosed up. Or Tommy's liberally changing what powers he's using.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

The breaking point to all of this is Tommy himself, as he is the ONLY Ranger to have unique Ranger identities that are not shared with anyone else, in this era. So if you see more than one of him, except Turbo, you know they hosed up. Or Tommy's liberally changing what powers he's using.

Considering he saves the kid with Saba, and yet we know is gonna be in the green ranger costume...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

There is the evil Green Ranger clone, so that's two accounted for.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
GUYS. There's an answer to this in the Sentai.

Trumpets.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just have these dudes fill in for MMPR and it'll all work itself out

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Liar Lyre posted:

There is the evil Green Ranger clone, so that's two accounted for.

Clone Tommy to make an entire team. Then use the ToQger footage.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

Pyroi posted:

GUYS. There's an answer to this in the Sentai.

Trumpets.

Basco is exactly what PR is missing and it's a shame.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The Sentinel Knight did it. :colbert:

I'm reasonably sure he exists both to use Zubaan footage and to repair poo poo in the Grid.

Alternatively, Orb of Doom, Ninjor, Jenji, Dr. K, AND Time Force are all valid answers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Duet posted:

Enter is exactly what PR is missing and it's a shame.

Non, non, non. I have fixed it for you.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Awesome antagonists is what PR is missing :colbert:

Also, all of Go-Busters, apparently. At least Escape won't be inflicted on North America.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SKY COQ posted:

Non, non, non. I have fixed it for you.

Tres bien.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Awesome antagonists is what PR is missing :colbert:

Also, all of Go-Busters, apparently. At least Escape won't be inflicted on North America.

A Westernized version of Escape could be good if she was made as dramatic as Enter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And my reigning return to Podcasters With Attitude has begun!

Get ready for my pointless annoyance with Carlos, and get ready to hear my voice for the next FOREVER because OH gently caress do we have a lot of awful things Wade wants me to see coming very soon. Fuckin' Turtles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

And my reigning return to Podcasters With Attitude has begun!

Get ready for my pointless annoyance with Carlos, and get ready to hear my voice for the next FOREVER because OH gently caress do we have a lot of awful things Wade wants me to see coming very soon. Fuckin' Turtles.

Yeah, have fun on turtles. I'm...sick that week. Very sick. No voice. Can't do it. Broken eyes too. Can't watch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah, have fun on turtles. I'm...sick that week. Very sick. No voice. Can't do it. Broken eyes too. Can't watch.

I don't think it was that bad. I was 7 or 8 at the time though (don't remember what year that all was), so I might be entirely mistaken and horribly wrong.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shredder is killed off by the new girl turtle in episode 2 (the series starts with a 5 parter. 5!!)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Considering he saves the kid with Saba, and yet we know is gonna be in the green ranger costume...

At least they acknowledged Saba exists still, since he kind of vanished completely when they gained the Zeo powers. He was apparently sentient too so it was just kind of odd, he was Tommy's partner and then it's like "Well who cares about him, NEW POWERS!"

Liar Lyre posted:

Shredder is killed off by the new girl turtle in episode 2 (the series starts with a 5 parter. 5!!)

Hey Transformers Prime started off with a 5 parter. And Deep Space Nine ended with a 10 parter!

The Turtles crossover episodes are pretty bad though, but I feel like it has more to do with Next Mutation being a bad show in general than the crossover itself. Masked Rider has the same situation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I think the reason the Gokaiger adaptation has been so lackluster is due to the higher ups at Saban realizing how difficult a proper adaptation would have been to make so they decided to half-rear end it and save any actual effort for Dino Charge(personally I think they should have just skipped Gokaiger and done two years for Goseiger and then go straight to Kyoryuger)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They've been half-assing it for every season since they got the license back, I'm not sure it's a Gokaiger thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tae posted:

They've been half-assing it for every season since they got the license back, I'm not sure it's a Gokaiger thing.

Part of that I think has to do with pretty much every season from Shikenger to Go-Busters has been the sort that would be really hard to adapt with any real sense of quality(they got real lucky with RPM), heck Kyoryuger is probably the first Sentai season since either Dekaranger or Magiranger that there shouldn't be any major elements to it that would make localizing difficult(I really wouldn't be surprised if they skip over Tokkyuger as well, even if it isn't as bad as I initially thought it was going to be, it still comes off as an incredibly awkward series to try to bring over)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RPM was disney, Shikenger was the first Saban series. And they have done WAY worse situations, they don't have that excuse of adaptation problems when you turn a internet thing into space and a beast garden thing into...well, space again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

(I really wouldn't be surprised if they skip over Tokkyuger as well, even if it isn't as bad as I initially thought it was going to be, it still comes off as an incredibly awkward series to try to bring over)

It was mentioned in the toku thread in ADTRW that Saban seems to have decided to skip ToQger for localization. The reasoning is that since trains aren't as big of a thing in the US as they are in Japan, the theme of the show would kind of fall flat, and they suspect toy sales won't be as high due to that.

If this is true then I guess we'll either get a half year long hiatus between the first and second half of Dino Charge, or they might do like they did with Samurai and we'll get Super Dino Charge or something (potentially also with a hiatus).

Tae posted:

RPM was disney, Shikenger was the first Saban series. And they have done WAY worse situations, they don't have that excuse of adaptation problems when you turn a internet thing into space and a beast garden thing into...well, space again.

While you're not wrong about that, Megaranger, while definitely an internet/high school based Sentai, didn't have that theme so prominent in their mecha or outfits. Just looking at the Megaranger suits and robots doesn't really say "INTERNET/TECHNOLOGY" as much as the ToQger outfits and robots say "TRAINS."

It's not so much of a "This is impossible to adapt!" thing as it is a matter of "Kids might not really be as into the theme in this country." Same thing with Dino Charge, Kyoryuger has a very obvious dinosaur theme to it, there isn't any way they could hide that. Not that they need to, because kids love dinosaurs, so Dino Charge is probably going to do great. Trains is a bit of a different story.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When Are they gonna adapt Super Sentai Skateboard and Minecraft Patrol, because you'd think that'd be really easy to adapt.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Liveman's a bit too old, I think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was mentioned in the toku thread in ADTRW that Saban seems to have decided to skip ToQger for localization. The reasoning is that since trains aren't as big of a thing in the US as they are in Japan, the theme of the show would kind of fall flat, and they suspect toy sales won't be as high due to that.

If this is true then I guess we'll either get a half year long hiatus between the first and second half of Dino Charge, or they might do like they did with Samurai and we'll get Super Dino Charge or something (potentially also with a hiatus).

While you're not wrong about that, Megaranger, while definitely an internet/high school based Sentai, didn't have that theme so prominent in their mecha or outfits. Just looking at the Megaranger suits and robots doesn't really say "INTERNET/TECHNOLOGY" as much as the ToQger outfits and robots say "TRAINS."

It's not so much of a "This is impossible to adapt!" thing as it is a matter of "Kids might not really be as into the theme in this country." Same thing with Dino Charge, Kyoryuger has a very obvious dinosaur theme to it, there isn't any way they could hide that. Not that they need to, because kids love dinosaurs, so Dino Charge is probably going to do great. Trains is a bit of a different story.

The fact that they also skipped Go-Busters also says something about how much effort and budget they they really want to allocate given that Go-Bus is fairly locale agnostic and the only hangups being the Enter and Escape's perpetual non-suit presence. Otherwise, it's 100% ripe for adaptation, but I don't recall any actual statements as to why there's no adaptation. (Here's hoping they go back to adapt it since ToQ's a no-go though.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Another reason why they skipped ToQger is the toy being too stiff, which makes no sense why they skipped over Go-Buster toys which seem perfect to sell since it's a Main Guy with Armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing to understand, the difference, is this.

Saban is not skipping Go-Busters.

Bandai is.

Bandai rode that money-losing train before and they aren't keen to do so again, thus Saban magically gets to skip it, first time in decades that they could.

If Saban gets to skip ToQger, it would only be because Bandai did not think it would be profitable-no other reason.