Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I do indeed have Peychaud's and absinthe. Sazeracs it is. How do you make your sazerac? The recipes seem to have a lot of... flourish?
Flourish how so? It's a pretty simple drink, from the recipes I have seen the only real flourish is specifying you mix in a rocks glass instead of mixing glass, which is just silly.
The absinthe rinse could also be seen as a flourish, but it really is essential to make sure you don't get too much absinthe in the drink since its very over powering.

I also saw this in the store and it looked interesting. High West OMG Pure Rye Its got a 100% rye grain bill. I didn't take the plunge but maybe next time.

On the topic of ryes, if any of you like rye and beer you should definitely give Canfusion a try. Its only available in the limited edition Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 12 pack, but man is it good. Its very malty and I have never before tasted that much rye packed into a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Checked the first and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything, so... any thoughts on Laphroaig Triplewood? Both it and the 10 year are on sale this month in PA and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra ~$15.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

spoon0042 posted:

Checked the first and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything, so... any thoughts on Laphroaig Triplewood? Both it and the 10 year are on sale this month in PA and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra ~$15.

It's fine. I don't know that I'd get it over the regular 10 year though. My favorite Laphroaig is the 18 year, which is still reasonably priced in PA (although it has gone up a bit).

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

A review of the Laphroaig Triplewood went up on scotch noob. Review Here: http://scotchnoob.com/2014/08/25/laphroaig-triple-wood/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

A review of the Laphroaig Triplewood went up on scotch noob. Review Here: http://scotchnoob.com/2014/08/25/laphroaig-triple-wood/

yeah this basically sums up my feelings about it. doesn't hit the notes i want a Laphroaig to hit, but if you're really into the flavor profile i say go for it

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Guys, I'm looking for a higher end boutique bourbon recommendation. It's a gift for someone that likes bourbon and is also into making cocktails. I want to pay <$100 and I don't want it to be something commonly available (anything available at a duty free shop is off limits), but at the same time, it should be something I could pick up in San Francisco or get delivered to San Francisco within 3 weeks.

Any ideas?

edit: someone else recommended this - https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/original_single_barrel

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 8, 2014

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Pissingintowind posted:

Guys, I'm looking for a higher end boutique bourbon recommendation. It's a gift for someone that likes bourbon and is also into making cocktails. I want to pay <$100 and I don't want it to be something commonly available (anything available at a duty free shop is off limits), but at the same time, it should be something I could pick up in San Francisco or get delivered to San Francisco within 3 weeks.

Any ideas?

edit: someone else recommended this - https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/original_single_barrel

Check out K&L. They've got an amazing selection and their spirits purveyor picks up some really neat stuff. He's been raving about Cut Spike recently (http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/8/13/a-new-hope-part-ii.html), but it seems to be out of stock at the moment. Another recent recommendation was Westland from Seattle (http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/7/15/a-new-hope.html), but there are more on the blog, these are just the ones I remember.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

K&L also has six types of Four Roses single barrel/cask strength for $60. The spirits buyer who selected them really knows his stuff so I'm willing to bet that they are all very good.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Deleuzionist posted:

If the gossip on a local whisky forum turns out to be true there's a 3rd edition of Supernova coming later this year.

Just hit my local place's stock and ordered.

Don't disappoint me Ardbeg.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was just at the liquor store and saw one I hadn't heard of before. Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond. The internet says it's from Heaven Hill. It's about at the same price point as my go-to Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Anyone had this stuff before?

Just in case anyone was curious, the McKenna BiB isn't bad but it lacks the smoothness of the Evan and the complexity of Old Grand-Dad.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

kidsafe posted:

Sounds like rumor-mongering to me. Edrington would sooner raise prices near-term and expand Macallan's facilities long-term. They already own Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark, so there's no reason for them dilute the Macallan brand name at all.

e: Looks like Edrington is already in the middle of a Macallan expansion.

Agreed.
Lots of new warehousing went up 4-5 years ago and a new stillhouse was added recently I think. I don't expect there to be a shortage, just maybe more NAS expressions which is the way the market seems to be going anyway.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I just would like to pop in and thank the person who mentioned Laphroaig Quarter Cask a good while ago. It's absolutely fantastic and it's probably my favorite whisky now, a perfect blend between peaty and mellow/fruity.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
The last time a traveled I stumbled upon Bowmores "Travel Exclusive" range.

On the way back I got myself a bottle of Bowmore Gold Reef in the duty free shop and it is absolutely fantastic. It has a little note of sweetness and vanilla / fruity taste, but still the peaty smoke and richness of a typical Islay.

I was wondering if any of you tried the other two (Black Rock and White Sands) whiskies of this travel only line and could make any recommendations for my next trip, otherwise I'd just restock on the Gold Reef.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just in case anyone was curious, the McKenna BiB isn't bad but it lacks the smoothness of the Evan and the complexity of Old Grand-Dad.

That is my memory of it but it's been several years since I've had any and didn't want to say anything.

EW is hard to beat in low $$ end bourbons. I like a little OGD once in awhile but I'm less head over heels about it than most goons here.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Apparently OGD BiB is special order only in North Carolina. Goddamnit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

door Door door posted:

Apparently OGD BiB is special order only in North Carolina. Goddamnit.

Can you get the 114?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Maker's Cask Strength arrived today. I'll report back in this weekend with impressions. I haven't actually had regular Maker's Mark in years, I feel like I should pick some up to compare.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can you get the 114?

Went to another ABC store today and thankfully they had the BiB on the shelf. I've never actually tried the 114; worth the price?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

door Door door posted:

Went to another ABC store today and thankfully they had the BiB on the shelf. I've never actually tried the 114; worth the price?

I sure like it.

e: with a drop of water

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was just at the liquor store and saw one I hadn't heard of before. Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond. The internet says it's from Heaven Hill. It's about at the same price point as my go-to Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Anyone had this stuff before?

I thought of buying that one myself and looked it up. The review sites seemed to be in agreement that it's okay but the label is the best part (which is probably what caught your eye as well as mine).

edit: I WAS TOO LATE

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
E: This isn't the home brew thread

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

OGD 114 is nectar.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah this basically sums up my feelings about it. doesn't hit the notes i want a Laphroaig to hit, but if you're really into the flavor profile i say go for it

Went and bought it and am pretty much in agreement with the blog as well. It kinda seems like the... Laphroaig-ness and sherry aging are pulling in two directions. Or "smoky jam" for short.

It's an interesting flavor and I don't regret buying it at all but I probably won't be getting it again either.

edit: Definitely Laphroaig though, going to be tasting smoke for hours. :v:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 14, 2014

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I really enjoy having a bottle of scotch on hand, and I think that the ones I enjoy the most have very strong, distinct flavors. I liked the smokey flavors out of Nikka whisky, and I thought that the really peaty flavor of Laphroig was enjoyable. Any other recommendations for powerful, specific flavors?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

beepsandboops posted:

I really enjoy having a bottle of scotch on hand, and I think that the ones I enjoy the most have very strong, distinct flavors. I liked the smokey flavors out of Nikka whisky, and I thought that the really peaty flavor of Laphroig was enjoyable. Any other recommendations for powerful, specific flavors?

Springbank has a distinct, mildly smoky profile. Not the peat bomb that Islays typically represent, but it doesn't matter.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

beepsandboops posted:

If you like peat and a strong flavor profile, Ardbeg Uigeadail is like drinking pure smoke. Heavy peat and smoke with a light hint of fruit settling in after.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Above Our Own posted:

If you like peat and a strong flavor profile, Ardbeg Uigeadail is like drinking pure smoke. Heavy peat and smoke with a light hint of fruit settling in after.

Caol Ila will deliver a faceful of smoke and sea-spray too. Whereas Lagavullan 16-yo was one of the spiciest and richest drops I've had a chance to try. Still smoky, but less aggressive than the Caol Ila can be.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, hit up Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin 16. Lagavulin is one of the landmarks for peaty scotches and Uideadail is one of not-very-many that finish it in a sherry cask.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
So my dad gave me a small bottle of Canadian Club dated 1964. Bottle looks in pretty good condition, think it's safe to drink?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why not? worst that is gonna happen is it being a bit sweet due to the alcohol evaporating off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's not like it's gonna go (more) poisonous, and I'm pretty sure whiskey isn't gonna pull a wine and turn into vinegar.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Definitely safe to drink.

Is it still unopened? How much has been evaporated?

Worst case scenario is you have grain flavoured water because all the alcohol will have evaporated off.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

And as a matter of interest, here's a full-sized bottle on Masters of Malt (a UK-based retailer), priced at £144.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/hiram-walker-and-sons/canadian-club-6-year-old-whisky-1964/?srh=1

I've tried a miniature of Highland Park 12-Year-old that a non-Scotch drinker had owned for over a decade. Some of the colour had fallen out of it, but it still tasted okay.

I still have a miniature of Tasmania whiskey purchased in the year 2000. I probably should get around to trying that some time soon.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

spankmeister posted:

Definitely safe to drink.

Is it still unopened? How much has been evaporated?

Worst case scenario is you have grain flavoured water because all the alcohol will have evaporated off.
Still sealed, no visible evaporation. I'll try and get a picture up later.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

Still sealed, no visible evaporation. I'll try and get a picture up later.

Yeah then it's basically gonna be totally fine. Have fun!

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Over 40 proof will last forever and not 'spoil'. It may not taste the best, but it won't have harmful bacteria or anything. It doesn't have a shelf life like cream based, wine, beer, or under 40 proof liquors (somewhere around this proof).

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

The 2000-era miniature of this: does indeed still tatste like whiskey. (And yes, it had a little sweeter entry than I was expecting)

But all things considered , (Plastic bottle, slight ullage, stored in a glass cabinet for 14 years) it's not bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hmm, so I just tried the Evan Williams Single Barrel, in an old fashioned. It was good, felt a bit...hotter? Than the black label. I also didn't put quite enough sugar in, fail on me.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

So Scotland is voting on it's independence today. It's not a topic I'm educated on in the slightest, but I was curious to see if anyone has come across a write up on how their independence may impact the Whisky business in Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

So Scotland is voting on it's independence today. It's not a topic I'm educated on in the slightest, but I was curious to see if anyone has come across a write up on how their independence may impact the Whisky business in Scotland.

At this point, nobody knows what currency Scotland would use much less any particular industry/export segment.