Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Not really, I don't think. To the extent that Nethack was designed at all you're definitely supposed to figure it out yourself. Nethack isn't really a puzzle game, it's an adventure game with a ridiculously, almost unplayably difficult RPG bolted onto it. It's a very interesting concept that could probably work in the hands of someone competent enough but Nethack was designed by committee by programmers over like a decade, sooooo....

Nothing I said contradicts that, though? :confused:

AceRimmer posted:

So any good "modern setting" roguelikes with guns besides LCS/Catacylsm? (besides DoomRL)

Caves of Qud, although I always hesitate to recommend it because it's (a) windows only and (b) unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Infra Arcana is a relatively modern roguelike that I really enjoyed. It's early 20th century so it has things like guns and explosives.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Speaking of DoomRL, I'm still discovering new things about this game. I got one of those "where the hell is the way out of here!?" maze levels, but I started within view of the stairs.

"Where the hell is the way out of here!? ...Oh, there it is. D'oh."

:allears:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Here's a neat game that might be relevant to your interests: Hand of Fate. It's an early access card game but unlike Magic or Hearthstone (what these two have in common, though, is the slick presentation).

The dealer basically creates a dungeon for your out of cards and you have to get through several floors to get to the boss which is afterwards shuffled into the deck as a semi-regular enemy. There are quite a bit of unique items which will give you abilities or change the gameplay a bit. By defeating optional encounters, bosses etc. you can earn tokens which in turn unlock more equipment and encounter cards, which you then can select in the deck building mode.

The first few games are quite easy but once you get to the end of the first row of challenges it'll unlock a power card which makes the game harder and some of the encounters are quite nasty even now.

Here's a short video of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gTSYGhWT4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Here's a neat game that might be relevant to your interests: Hand of Fate. It's an early access card game but unlike Magic or Hearthstone (what these two have in common, though, is the slick presentation).

Hand of Fate is great. I mentioned it a while ago in the thread as well.
Even though it's still in early access it got plenty of content already and the developer seems to be quite competent.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

What were the realtimes on those games? Cuz both my wins were around 40-ish days and took 24 and 18 hours and I felt like I played slow.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How is Desktop Dungeons? It's on sale on GOG for today.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Justin_Brett posted:

I love it and played it to death. Get it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Justin_Brett posted:

It's a puzzle game presented as individual roguelike levels. It's a lot of fun, but it get really hard towards the end. The beta was really long and some of the player's got insanely good at the game so the developers made challenge levels for them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

The dealer basically creates a dungeon for your out of cards and you have to get through several floors to get to the boss which is afterwards shuffled into the deck as a semi-regular enemy. There are quite a bit of unique items which will give you abilities or change the gameplay a bit. By defeating optional encounters, bosses etc. you can earn tokens which in turn unlock more equipment and encounter cards, which you then can select in the deck building mode.

The first few games are quite easy but once you get to the end of the first row of challenges it'll unlock a power card which makes the game harder and some of the encounters are quite nasty even now.

Here's a short video of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gTSYGhWT4

It looks really sweet, the little third person encounters seem okay but the controls are a bit simplistic.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it, gonna be a fun past time for the week. I'll report back if its amazing.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 14, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Dungeon of the Endless I'm doing pretty well kiting enemies into the powered rooms to deal with my turrets and stuff, but the moment I pick up the crystal, every door in the dungeon pops open, and I get bum rushed. I'm assuming enemies will spawn infinitely, and that there is nothing I can do to better survive. What are your guys experience? How to make it past that point?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Demiurge4 posted:

It looks really sweet, the little third person encounters seem okay but the controls are a bit simplistic.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it, gonna be a fun past time for the week. I'll report back if its amazing.

Sure, report back after playing, I'm interested in how you'll like it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Sure, report back after playing, I'm interested in how you'll like it.

It's actually really decent. A bunch of cards interact well and the resource management is a cool extra to keep track of. I managed to beat six of the dungeon bosses so far and for every 3 you beat the difficulty scales up (monsters become stronger) and you also have a chance to see a boss show up in regular encounters. Since you build the dungeon yourself through the deck you can stack a few bonuses in your advantage depending on how the current dungeon boss modifies it. For example the king of dust removes 1 gold for every 15 health you have after a combat encounter, this means if you're at high health you're losing 5-8 gold every time you finish a combat section which means you want to spend all your gold at every shop and encounters that give gold are generally worth less (treasure chest).

Weapons have bonuses against certain enemies, maces are very effective against the undead, swords are effective against living monsters and axes are in between. I really like the fire mace which absolutely wrecks the undead but you don't actually encounter them much at all which makes it less good. Some of the cards interact well also but the random nature of the game means you can end up never getting that bonus. I got the temple forge along with the metal card, I think I'm supposed to find the metal and then go to the temple but in my last run I got the temple and in one area and then the metal in the next area. I could go back up but it would cost me at least 15 food to do so. Generally you can eat a disadvantage or bad card to unlock tokens. Each card comes with a token and when you beat that card favorably you earn the token which unlocks other cards, you don't lose tokens if you lose the dungeon.

Overall I like it, but some encounters can really stack against you in awful ways and you'll be dodging like crazy when you're up against 10+ enemies and I've only found 3 aoe spells so far and they are rare. Definitely worth the $20 it costs on Steam right now though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Another demo video from Darkest Dungeon. Showing off some different characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-93DwbVSmA

I do like that if the sanity gets too high you have a chance for a buff or debuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Another demo video from Darkest Dungeon. Showing off some different characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-93DwbVSmA

I do like that if the sanity gets too high you have a chance for a buff or debuff.

Yeah there seems to be a whole bunch of possible effects. The courage and fearful buff/debuffs are temporary and only last for the combat round (or until you return to town maybe) but others like paranoia are permanent for the character. I also noticed that in both videos the quest wasn't enough to level up anyone, only giving half an xp bar so I hope there's some way to distinguish quest difficulty so you can level up lowbies (and higher level characters will get less xp).

There's 4 dungeons in the beginning that spawn quests and I expect the darkest dungeon itself is open ended in a true roguelike sort of way where you can't return easily like you can when you kill the necromancer.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

..btt posted:

Auto-explore really isn't much use unless you have sprawling, cavernous, relatively empty maps like crawl. Besides, without many interconnected paths through levels auto-explore is far more likely to put you in a position you cannot escape from. That said, if that feature is a deal breaker to you, you probably won't like adom much anyway. It's very much an older generation of roguelike, and its design philosophy is quite opposed to crawl's. The 1.2.0 changes haven't done anything to affect that.

It's actually the roguelike that got me into them in the first place. If you don't count the original rogue I played on this flash website when I was a kid. I never beat it but it always holds a place in my heart. The truth is the first bit of the game is dirt easy and save for a few floors, auto explore would be a huge boon to those areas.

That said I've been digging back into it. Any general tips for success?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Turtlicious posted:

In Dungeon of the Endless I'm doing pretty well kiting enemies into the powered rooms to deal with my turrets and stuff, but the moment I pick up the crystal, every door in the dungeon pops open, and I get bum rushed. I'm assuming enemies will spawn infinitely, and that there is nothing I can do to better survive. What are your guys experience? How to make it past that point?

Ok I just fired up DotE and made a quick Floor 1 'how I handled it' guide on Very Easy(just to speed up getting this done):

This is the floor after I fully-explored it and prepared to take the crystal:

Note that the exit was, amusingly, the last room I discovered. I simply followed each branch to its end, as I discovered it.

For *most* of the floor, I kept that right-side hallway as lit up as possible. The point where that hallway connects to the exit-route I built some Prisoner Prods for additional mop-up.

I built a Food factory in the first room, and an Industry factory in its branch.

Now, after I was ready to exit, I changed which rooms I had powered. I darkened that right branch almost entirely, in favor of lighting up everything that would put monsters *between* the crystal and the exit. This meant that any monsters I needed to deal with would be coming from 'behind' the carrier, and since monsters move reasonably slowly, for the most part the carrier would be untouched so long as he could make it past that branch.

So I picked up the crystal and told the carrier to move to the exit:

I leave my spare hero in the room with the defenses, just to act as some additional damage to keep the room clear.

You'll note that the only enemies are those coming from that branch, meaning they are well controlled and contained. A few floors down, I could have built more defenses as necessary if the waves were too large.

When my carrier reached the exit:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah that makes sense. I'm not exploring enough I think.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Ah that makes sense. I'm not exploring enough I think.

The game isn't a hard race to get to the exit as fast as possible - at least maybe not until later floors - and there are advantages to opening more doors, especially once you start finding research stations.

It's only later floors when you're dealing with 30+ rooms on a floor that you have to start worrying about maybe exiting before exploring everything, just due to how chaotic things get when 20 waves hit at a time.

To elaborate further:

Dust(power) is the only floor-reset resource. Food, Science, and Industry all carryover. They tick up every time you open a door. So especially on lower floors there's a huge benefit when things are comparatively easy to trying to stockpile these resources as much as possible. What has worked well for me is trying to worry about one, maybe two resources on a floor, not all 3. If you're entering a floor low on Food, focus on food for that floor and you can probably build up a 100-200 stockpile.

After the first floor, until you have 4 heroes you're happy with, try not to drop below 50 food so that if you do find one you can hire them immediately.

Don't try to drop upgrades into every room. Usually 1-3 Majors per floor and MAYBE 1-2 chokepoints with Minors per floor should be enough to last a long while. You should be able to easily handle the first few floors without worrying about building any static defenses.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Everyone's favorite Caves of Qud enemy, the twinning lamprey, makes a comeback in the hanging hills of Sproggiwood! Everyone rejoices!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
In DotE never not explore everything. Rush to find crystal room then use your head, stop if you're finding it too hard and make a rush to crystal room.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah there seems to be a whole bunch of possible effects. The courage and fearful buff/debuffs are temporary and only last for the combat round (or until you return to town maybe) but others like paranoia are permanent for the character. I also noticed that in both videos the quest wasn't enough to level up anyone, only giving half an xp bar so I hope there's some way to distinguish quest difficulty so you can level up lowbies (and higher level characters will get less xp).

There's 4 dungeons in the beginning that spawn quests and I expect the darkest dungeon itself is open ended in a true roguelike sort of way where you can't return easily like you can when you kill the necromancer.

Yeah it seems you get the permanent traits from events like reading the books you find/digging through the objects and the buffs/debuffs from 100 stress.

Although their website says:

quote:

Characters' stress levels respond dynamically to virtually every occurrence in the dungeon, both positive and negative. Coming across a rotting corpse may unnerve your Highwayman, or may fuel your Crusader's determination. If the pressures of their circumstances become too overwhelming, their resolve is broken, and they will become afflicted with a myriad of psychological conditions ranging from paranoia, panic, greed, or even sadism . Afflicted party members will act out in a variety of ways that impact the play experience during combat, exploration, camping, and even in town. And like weary soldiers who have seen too much, your heroes will develop permanent quirks and emotional baggage based on their experiences.

So maybe the buffs/debuffs you get at 100 stress become permanent?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Paranoia, greed, abusive and so on are permanent quirks and seem to come from stress events. From what I've seen I think that things like clumsy (a physical debuff) comes from books or other events. The courageous and fearful buff/debuff I think expire either after the combat or after coming back to town and they seem to be a flat 25% modifier to stress gains for the whole party.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Although their website says:

Darkest Dungeon seems to be sick.
I wonder if they're going to have on Early Access or pre-order beta or something. I really want to get my hands on that.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Unormal posted:

Everyone's favorite Caves of Qud enemy, the twinning lamprey, makes a comeback in the hanging hills of Sproggiwood! Everyone rejoices!

Do you know when this is gonna hit Steam by any chance? It's so :3:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Do you know when this is gonna hit Steam by any chance? It's so :3:

We're shooting for October 24th, but we'll see!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Gonna give a shout-out to whoever's been recommending Hoplite in this thread, easily the best game on my phone right now. Managed a Perfect run, now I'm trying to deep dive - last run made it to floor 22 before being mowed down by walls of archers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ProfessorProf posted:

Gonna give a shout-out to whoever's been recommending Hoplite in this thread, easily the best game on my phone right now. Managed a Perfect run, now I'm trying to deep dive - last run made it to floor 22 before being mowed down by walls of archers.

What's your strategy been? I haven't managed a Perfect yet, but I did manage to make it to floor 23 once before getting completely annihilated. I usually ignore throwing my spear unless the only enemies left are dwarves (:argh: dwarves) because I need the thrust attack too badly. My core abilities have been:

* Extra energy
* Regen energy when killing enemies
* Can thrust through enemies to hit ones behind them
* Regenerate 1 health after killing 3 enemies in a row

Otherwise I mostly take extra health, though in retrospect having a 360° bash attack would be useful against dwarves. Haven't decided whether +1 jump range is better than the stunning jump though. They're both pretty useful, but stunning jump is expensive.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's your strategy been? I haven't managed a Perfect yet, but I did manage to make it to floor 23 once before getting completely annihilated. I usually ignore throwing my spear unless the only enemies left are dwarves (:argh: dwarves) because I need the thrust attack too badly. My core abilities have been:

* Extra energy
* Regen energy when killing enemies
* Can thrust through enemies to hit ones behind them
* Regenerate 1 health after killing 3 enemies in a row

Otherwise I mostly take extra health, though in retrospect having a 360° bash attack would be useful against dwarves. Haven't decided whether +1 jump range is better than the stunning jump though. They're both pretty useful, but stunning jump is expensive.

Dwarves are resources, my friend! Bombs are one of the best weapons in the game if you're prepared for them.

I always start with the extra spear range, then move into a lot of shield bash upgrades - my ideal core is Shielding Bash (and if you can afford it/have it unlocked, Shielding Bash II), Sweeping Bash, Mighty Bash and Quick Bash, so that I can use it as an emergency button to avoid damage in a pinch and also safely knock bombs back at the bomber while enemies are in melee range.

The main key to my Perfect run was the ability that resets energy/spear after three consecutive kills - not for the energy boost (although that's nice) but because it means that, if you use it as the third attack, you can throw and then immediately retrieve your spear. On my deep-dive I instead opted for Regeneration, because it seems essential to keeping yourself alive past floor 16.

Deep Lunge is really nice and was the only thing I honestly missed having on my deep dive run. Staggering Jump is neat but low-priority because of the steep cost. Patience is a trap option because Recall exists. Once I have everything I want, I just start spamming Fortitude to give me a buffer into the deep floors.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Unormal posted:

Could you just, like, make Caves of Qud? Using this engine and sprite set? Just pull the carpet out from everyone and go "Actually this is Caves, surprise, there is no Sproggiwood"

(It looks good)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Black August posted:

Could you just, like, make Caves of Qud? Using this engine and sprite set? Just pull the carpet out from everyone and go "Actually this is Caves, surprise, there is no Sproggiwood"

(It looks good)

Cute little goatmen would be so great.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Darkest Dungeon seems to be sick.
I wonder if they're going to have on Early Access or pre-order beta or something. I really want to get my hands on that.

Unfortunately your wish is going to come true. That's right, you too can pay $50 or $100 to play a game that will remain incomplete for at least a year, and with a premise that may or may not entertain you for more than a week.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Unfortunately your wish is going to come true. That's right, you too can pay $50 or $100 to play a game that will remain incomplete for at least a year, and with a premise that may or may not entertain you for more than a week.

I don't know what you talking about. I've got several Early Access games with 20-50 hours of play time on them that I fire up every 2 weeks or so when they get an update.
I don't think I want to buy a 50$ "Digital Deluxe Edition" of Darkest Dungeon or whatever but I'll definitely get it once it hits Steam for a more reasonable price.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I finally got around to giving Sproggiwood a try. I actually managed to die in Big Ick's dungeon because on the third floor I found a scroll of summoning (that I used instantly since my consumable slot was full) and as a result a bunch of dimensional doors opened up that started spawning giants that hit fairly hard (~12 damage when most things were hitting for 2-3 at that point) and more doors kept popping open quicker than I could close them. What exactly happened there, is that just a potential side effect of scrolls of summoning or did I get screwed by the RNG somehow?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lilli posted:

I finally got around to giving Sproggiwood a try. I actually managed to die in Big Ick's dungeon because on the third floor I found a scroll of summoning (that I used instantly since my consumable slot was full) and as a result a bunch of dimensional doors opened up that started spawning giants that hit fairly hard (~12 damage when most things were hitting for 2-3 at that point) and more doors kept popping open quicker than I could close them. What exactly happened there, is that just a potential side effect of scrolls of summoning or did I get screwed by the RNG somehow?

Yeah, scrolls of summoning can do that and scrolls of wonder seem to always do that.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Pladdicus posted:

It's actually the roguelike that got me into them in the first place. If you don't count the original rogue I played on this flash website when I was a kid. I never beat it but it always holds a place in my heart. The truth is the first bit of the game is dirt easy and save for a few floors, auto explore would be a huge boon to those areas.

That said I've been digging back into it. Any general tips for success?

Are you sure you're talking about adom? The start of the game is generally considered to be the "hardest" part by a very large margin (special endings aside), and has a couple of time limited quests/mechanics. This is exactly where measured, tactical exploration is the most important.

My usual strategy is to kill a bandit in the bandit town (fairly rare but can easily be found in numbers for the barbarian quest), then pick up the starter quests depending on whether I have healing/herbalism, then jump into the small cave to find the blanket then gtfo (down if I find the stairs before gaining too many levels).

Then after the mountain village (or immediately if I didn't find down stairs) I'll check out the puppy cave for the ant's nest for acid resistance.

If I need healing I'll do that quest, then beeline for dwarf town to hopefully get a lowish level kill-random-monster quest. After that, priority is to pacify the big room for herbs and storage.

At that point the game kinda opens up and I do whatever I feel like. Usually it's the remaining dwarf quests first.

This is all for <1.2.0 of course. For example, I seem to remember herbs have been heavily nerfed (no longer increase your stat max I think), so pacifying the big room probably isn't worth the effort.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lilli posted:

There's an enemy monster that can spawn out of the portal doors which occasionally opens another portal door as it wanders around, it also can be spawned with a summoning scroll as on your side, but it'll still drop portals full of enemy creatures.

And of course, the scroll of wonder always spawns at least one portal door if there's room and that door eventually spawns the enemy that drops more doors.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Big Sproggiwood patch coming this weekend or so with the last few dungeons roughly in and some fixes for stuff that's been broken for awhile, like summoning/wonder scrolls ;)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
While Im asking about Sproggiwood, is there an android client I can download? I know its intent was to be released on mobile, but I only instinctively knew where to get the steam client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lilli posted:

While Im asking about Sproggiwood, is there an android client I can download? I know its intent was to be released on mobile, but I only instinctively knew where to get the steam client.

Not at the moment. We're focusing on the PC version up until its release, the android and iOS versions have been languishing because we just have only so much time for QA, and PC's coming first. We'll do the android and iOS releases in the months following the Steam release.