Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

Its two weeks man, just let it go. It can't be that much extra money and a good reference is important.

(Probably)

Allow me to make a gross generalization: any company that pulls that kind of underhanded garbage ("the boss filled out one of the fields on your raise paperwork incorrectly," MY rear end) is taking his leaving as a deliberate attack against said company, and would not give him a good reference anyway.

I figure the reason to put up with it is if his direct supervisor is a good boss who's had his hands tied (I seem to remember that he suggested that Zero take the new job because there was no way they would come up with that kind of raise if he stayed?), and leaving immediately would screw him. If he's been treated well by his immediate supervisor, sticking it out for those two weeks would be a huge show of class in the face of some really petty behavior by the company. Just gotta go directly to that guy when it's time for the reference.

Also wouldn't hurt to ask the immediate boss if he can intercede. If I were the supervisor in this situation, I would probably go to HR or one of the execs with a message of, "this costs us basically nothing and it makes us not look like enormous dickbags. We are better than this."

Edit: Though really, it's probably not worth the effort. This is the kind of event that would utterly dominate any review or conversation about the company that I would be involved in though. Feels like a pretty bad deal for the company but hey, they saved 50 bucks.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Put the money you feel they owe you into your consulting fee.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
now that you've stopped being a doormat don't make one final trip down memory lane.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

evobatman posted:

Put the money you feel they owe you into your consulting fee.

This idea is probably best. Don't burn bridges, just get yours on the back-end.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My boss actually said to me yesterday "You mad? Don't get mad, get even!"

I'm gonna miss him. And yes I can use him as a reference directly, screw the rest of this place.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I'm gonna miss him. And yes I can use him as a reference directly, screw the rest of this place.

That's pretty much all that matters

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

That is really petty of them, but just let it go. Be Peter from Office Space for 2 weeks and enjoy your new life.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Agreeing with just about all of the above. Take the high road and salvage the reference, managerial refs are worth their weight in gold if you ever find yourself stuck without a gig.

And if you can bill them back while consulting, it's a win/win.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dark Helmut posted:

Agreeing with just about all of the above. Take the high road and salvage the reference, managerial refs are worth their weight in gold if you ever find yourself stuck without a gig.

And if you can bill them back while consulting, it's a win/win.

Should add this to the OP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Quick networking question,

I am a little confused how TCP/UDP Ports work. I understand that TCP is "smart" and UDP is "dumb" but I don't understand when it comes to inbound/outbound and the randomly generated port number.

For example, if I have a host computer that attempts to access a server across a separate network. It will use a specific port for the outbound and always(?) randomly generated number for inbound. Is this accurate?...

Basically, you could theoretically have a web server (port 80) on a network that could be reachable via the internet and locally but you could block your users from accessing any HTTP resources outside of the WAN by blocking 80.

Am I getting this?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Tab8715 posted:

Quick networking question,

I am a little confused how TCP/UDP Ports work. I understand that TCP is "smart" and UDP is "dumb" but I don't understand when it comes to inbound/outbound and the randomly generated port number.

For example, if I have a host computer that attempts to access a server across a separate network. It will use a specific port for the outbound and always(?) randomly generated number for inbound. Is this accurate?...

Basically, you could theoretically have a web server (port 80) on a network that could be reachable via the internet and locally but you could block your users from accessing any HTTP resources outside of the WAN by blocking 80.

Am I getting this?

That's correct.

When Client A attempts a connection to Server Z on port 80, the client will use an ephemeral port for its source, which is temporarily assigned to that particular connection. The destination will always be the well-known port for the service on Z. These ports usually come from the standard range of 49152 to 65535, but it differs with each implementation of the TCP/IP stack.

Then when Z responds, everything gets flipped. The well-known port is the source and the ephemeral port of the client is the destination.

Also yes, blocking destination port 80 leaving your network will prevent users from hitting outside HTTP sites, while still leaving your firewall open to allow destination port 80 packets coming into your network and source port 80 packets leaving.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 16, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is it always going to use a random port number for the incoming connection?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So our department received an Optiplex 9020 that wouldn't boot out of the box. Power LED code indicated a bad motherboard, I did a quick chat support, and they sent a rep out the next day (which just happened). We go through a lot of desktops, and this happens occasionally, so I didn't think much of it.

Guy just left... when he was going to swap the motherboard out for us, he noticed that the processor that was in the motherboard was a Pentium D 820, which did not exactly fit into the LGA1366 slot. Parts of the plastic bracket was crushed to get it crammed in there.

No idea how this happens, but the tech's theory was that someone at some point in the supply chain is pilfering good processors and swapping them out with $2 ones. I seriously doubt it's on our end, since our receiving department never opens boxes up. This is the first time it's ever happened to us, so I'm not overly concerned, but it is kinda weird!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
That is loving bizarre

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Is it always going to use a random port number for the incoming connection?

Yep. The term you want for these is ephemeral ports.

e: just realized that was already mentioned in a previous post :downs:

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I just had a terrible memory from several years ago in a previous group bubble into my conscious.

Our infra group rolled out a compute cluster with monster resources - something like 80 systems each with 6-8 cores, ~32GB ram, and 10TB storage.

We were testing out a bunch of stuff with it and one of the experiments was processing data with Hadoop. As I was trying it out I noticed it was horrendously slow on any large jobs.

I found out the bottleneck was the network. All 80+ systems were connected using 1GBe ethernet.

Eventually when talking to the guy who spec'd and built this shitheap I asked what the gently caress he was thinking and he said "oh yeah we made a mistake it was supposed to be 10Gbe ethernet". I repeated, what the gently caress, why are you using ethernet at all, you idiot!? why not use infiniband?

:downs:: "what's that?"
-- quoth a man given control over 5 million dollars to purchase a compute cluster

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

titaniumone posted:

I just had a terrible memory from several years ago in a previous group bubble into my conscious.

Our infra group rolled out a compute cluster with monster resources - something like 80 systems each with 6-8 cores, ~32GB ram, and 10TB storage.

We were testing out a bunch of stuff with it and one of the experiments was processing data with Hadoop. As I was trying it out I noticed it was horrendously slow on any large jobs.

I found out the bottleneck was the network. All 80+ systems were connected using 1GBe ethernet.

Eventually when talking to the guy who spec'd and built this shitheap I asked what the gently caress he was thinking and he said "oh yeah we made a mistake it was supposed to be 10Gbe ethernet". I repeated, what the gently caress, why are you using ethernet at all, you idiot!? why not use infiniband?

:downs:: "what's that?"
-- quoth a man given control over 5 million dollars to purchase a compute cluster

Oh god I can relate

We've been working on our hadoop solution and our man with the wallet wants to use NAS / virtualization / put everything in azure (because politics - we're already using a certain vendor for other things that offers that) as opposed to hosted platform with JBOD. This is after we spent months of research and meetings coming up with a recommendation, of which we recommended Vendor A, and they went with vendor B anyways because more politics.

We gave this whole presentation complete with charts and graphs on why Vendor A is better, and then were told they're going with vendor B anyways and to change the graphs to match the decision. Luckily my boss stands his ground and told him "no way".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

titaniumone posted:

This is amazing haha

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need some opinions here. I work in clinical informatics at a smaller hospital, its a new job that I've been doing for 3 months. I provide solutions and support for our doctors and nurses etc... I'm not a programmer in the least bit but I've been trying to teach myself. I've wrote several small scripts that has made our team's life easier and removed some of the workload.

Following up on the success of my scripts, I asked for READ-ONLY access to the test environment database. I'd like read-only access to the test environment so I can learn to write queries to provide my team with useful reports. Also, I want to expand my knowledge and skills. With the response I received to my request, you would have thought I asked for keys to the kingdom. I was essentially blown off, the vibe I got was that it was way outside of my scope.

Is it outlandish for me to request this access? Can I really screw up that much with read-only access in a testing environment? We had a rep from the software vendor here for a few days and the reports he was able to pull from our database were full of useful information. I'd love to be able to do that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Hughmoris posted:

Is it outlandish for me to request this access? Can I really screw up that much with read-only access in a testing environment?

No. It's not outlandish at all. Someone is just a dick.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hughmoris posted:

Is it outlandish for me to request this access? Can I really screw up that much with read-only access in a testing environment? We had a rep from the software vendor here for a few days and the reports he was able to pull from our database were full of useful information. I'd love to be able to do that.

Sounds like an office politics thing. Either you're being perceived as being too big for your britches or you're threatening someone.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Hughmoris posted:

With the response I received to my request, you would have thought I asked for keys to the kingdom. I was essentially blown off, the vibe I got was that it was way outside of my scope.

Who did you make the request to? What does your manager/supervisor say about your request, and the response received?

Also: Is your hospital part of a bigger network of systems? If so, that's just politics and the nature of the beast. You'll learn what battles to fight, and this is not one of them :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hughmoris posted:

:words:

It is a hospital and there's a probably a ton of red-tape for a variety of good and not so good reasons but that said...

Discuss it with your co-workers and your supervisor(s) not over an im, email but in person. Show them how it makes you more efficient but try to translate this into a dollar amount.

When your supervisor takes this up the chain of command he has ammunition aside from "Welp, it makes peoples job easier" as "We could save the company money" is much more effective.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You entered a minefield. Back away slowly.

If you're dead set on pursuing this, do like ^^^^ said and get someone further up the food chain to fight for you. If your supervisors don't think its a good idea then congrats you shouldn't feel bad about letting it go.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Hopefully, this is the correct thread. What resources would you guys recommend for learning Powershell 4.0?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RadicalR posted:

Hopefully, this is the correct thread. What resources would you guys recommend for learning Powershell 4.0?

Are you totally new to powershell or just want to learn what's new in 4?

Assuming you're new:

Here's the powershell thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440
Here's the book you want: http://amzn.com/1617291080

Powershell has a very good built in help system. Get-Help is your new best friend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RadicalR posted:

As said, the Powershell thread is a great resource and we are always happy to help or guide. I've gotten a lot of use out of this book too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449320686

I learned PS through a disgusting amount of practice! So get a VM you can break, and just run stuff. See what commands to, practice piping, etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RadicalR posted:

Definitely take this free class

Getting Started with PowerShell 3.0 Jump Start

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
How long did it take you guys from applying to finally land an interview or a job? I'm beginning to think I might have something wrong with my resume because I'm not hearing back from anyone, or I'm just impatient which is also a good possibility. 😅

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Drunk Orc posted:

How long did it take you guys from applying to finally land an interview or a job? I'm beginning to think I might have something wrong with my resume because I'm not hearing back from anyone, or I'm just impatient which is also a good possibility. 😅

I humbly volunteer my strong opinion.

PM me your resume/city/salary expectations, and I'll try to give you an unbiased take on it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

PM me your resume/city/salary expectations, and I'll try to give you an unbiased take on it.

Sent!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Drunk Orc posted:

If it's a big corporation, be prepared to sweat out for a bit over a month.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

If it's a big corporation, be prepared to sweat out for a bit over a month.

I've put in for a lot of spots independently and worked through recruiters for some too. When using recruiters does it expedite or complicate the process normally?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Drunk Orc posted:

I've put in for a lot of spots independently and worked through recruiters for some too. When using recruiters does it expedite or complicate the process normally?

Ask the recruiter.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

If I don't have PM but would like to abuse your kind offer would that be possible?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Trauma posted:

What's up early bird? I get up around 0420 a few times a week to get to the gym before it opens. Cardio some days, lifting others. Also I walk a mile to work, about half is uphill. After three years of that I must be in better shape.

I kind of missed this but how do you manage to function after you go to the gym? I've just got back from mine and i'm wiped out. I just want to sleep.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

dogstile posted:

I kind of missed this but how do you manage to function after you go to the gym? I've just got back from mine and i'm wiped out. I just want to sleep.

I usually don't feel beat after a workout. I take a very short nap after I finish breakfast so that helps. Also I'm old and old people are weird.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've been seriously sleep deprived for over two years so I can function fairly normally on unhealthily low levels of sleep.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 17, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tab8715 posted:

It is a hospital and there's a probably a ton of red-tape for a variety of good and not so good reasons but that said...

Discuss it with your co-workers and your supervisor(s) not over an im, email but in person. Show them how it makes you more efficient but try to translate this into a dollar amount.

When your supervisor takes this up the chain of command he has ammunition aside from "Welp, it makes peoples job easier" as "We could save the company money" is much more effective.

As an SQL novice, what are the chances that I'd accidentally write a query using READ-ONLY access and bring down the database? That was the reasoning I received today when I denied by our application manager, even when I told him it was the training database and not production. So, I've asked three different parties and have been stone-walled. Which sucks because I really want to become proficient in SQL to pick up a new skill, plus be more marketable. PLUS our entire team depends on two people for anything involving databases, HOSPITAL WIDE, and one of them is out for 2 weeks due to a medical issue.

At this point, I'm not going to push it. I realize this is a minor issue and I enjoy the people I work with but it is a bit annoying. I feel like they are stifling my professional growth. And at a certain point, that might become an incentive to look elsewhere.

*I'm going to walk myself through the free Stanford database class and go from there.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 17, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hughmoris posted:

As an SQL novice, what are the chances that I'd accidentally write a query using READ-ONLY access and bring down the database? That was the reasoning I received today when I denied by our application manager, even when I told him it was the training database and not production. So, I've asked three different parties and have been stone-walled. Which sucks because I really want to become proficient in SQL to pick up a new skill, plus be more marketable. PLUS our entire team depends on two people for anything involving databases, HOSPITAL WIDE, and one of them is out for 2 weeks due to a medical issue.

At this point, I'm not going to push it. I realize this is a minor issue and I enjoy the people I work with but it is a bit annoying. I feel like they are stifling my professional growth. And at a certain point, that might become an incentive to look elsewhere.
What is a "training database," exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hughmoris posted:

I realize this is a minor issue and I enjoy the people I work with but it is a bit annoying. I feel like they are stifling my professional growth. And at a certain point, that might become an incentive to look elsewhere.

I suppose you could accidentally write a query that would return the entire database and that could potentially slow things to a crawl.

I did this once in production :lol:

We really need a DBA to chime in here...