Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FRINGE posted:

A made-up example of a bad one would be: "Well I guess Personality will have to give a bonus to Baking skill because that makes the statistics better!"\

"Clearly explained" will not help that seem right to most people.

They should make sense of course, although since you only have 6 attributes to work with and everything needs to be viable to some degree, you inevitably need to stretch them a little bit unless you're going to add even more separate attributes.

Either way I'm pretty sure it's being taken into consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trying to go to RPGcodex to read their thread on this game again was a mistake. You'd think ropekid personally burnt down their altar to Baldur's Gate from how those armchair-designers are going on.

Also, with the possible changes to attributes, the names should be more accurate than ever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm only following the thread every couple of days, but be careful not to make the attributes seem too weird. The name of the attribute should still (generally) tell what it does, I think, or else it will confuse people. Why does resolve give x y and z and int gives a b and z but dex also gives c d and x ???

You get the picture.

(I don't really care what they're named, I'm just speaking for my wife who said she would get confused by this since she's new to RPGs)

FRINGE posted:

No one has asked for anything like that. Most of the people in this thread have been crunching RPG numbers for many years.

When it comes to the game succeeding, and hopefully generating sequels, it is more important that the end experience make sense.

A made-up example of a bad one would be: "Well I guess Personality will have to give a bonus to Baking skill because that makes the statistics better!"\

"Clearly explained" will not help that seem right to most people.

Yeah, most of the above stats discussion at least makes some kind of sense but a few of the proposals just don't seem to "fit" right -- i.e., Intelligence boosting Deflection? I read lots of books means I'm good with a shield? Huh?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

evilmiera posted:

Trying to go to RPGcodex to read their thread on this game again was a mistake. You'd think ropekid personally burnt down their altar to Baldur's Gate from how those armchair-designers are going on.

The last few pages?

It's because of this person: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/roguey-vs-the-grognards-thread.94135/#post-3479962

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, most of the above stats discussion at least makes some kind of sense but a few of the proposals just don't seem to "fit" right -- i.e., Intelligence boosting Deflection? I read lots of books means I'm good with a shield? Huh?

If you're a nerd you better be good at dodgeball.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Reading them makes me think there are people specifically tuned to take offense at anything. Including getting a game not entirely tuned to their own internal ideas of what games should be, down to every little detail.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I always heard RPG Codex was bad but jesus christ.

I couldn't get past the first page on that thread. Does everyone on that site have 100% of their self esteem wrapped up in exactly one type of RPG they like?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

evilmiera posted:

Reading them makes me think there are people specifically tuned to take offense at anything.

Nah there's a few posters that deliberately stir poo poo. The person I linked, every second post of his is just a copy-paste of a rope kid quote from somewhere - here, obs boards, formspring, tumblr. He does such a convincing job that several people thinks that he is actually rope kid trolling them. Infinitron also likes to stir the people up that he knows don't agree with rope kid's design philosophy.

There are a lot of people there that don't like the IE games, don't like real-time with pause as well, so you're gonna find a lot of that kind of stuff. It is a place where Fallout and Arcanum are considered two of the best RPGs ever made.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There are way too many people invested in ropekid's personal life and his abilities as a game designer in that thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lotish posted:

If you're a nerd you better be good at dodgeball.

That just means you should be pumping dex for high reflex (which does make sense!)

Sensuki posted:

There are a lot of people there that don't like the IE games, don't like real-time with pause as well, so you're gonna find a lot of that kind of stuff. It is a place where Fallout and Arcanum are considered two of the best RPGs ever made.

Wow, that poo poo is amazingly horrible.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I don't know about that. They're not my favourite RPGs but I can definitely see the merits of both. Fallout is probably the best sandbox-y style RPG. A lot of players like that freedom. BG1 has a similar (but not quite as much) looseness about it compared to BG2.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I hope once the worst bugs in the beta are ironed out, Obsidian takes a serious look at the the recovery mechanic. Maybe it'll turn out fine, but it just sounds like such an unfun mechanic to me. Kiting is basic RTS gameplay, and if it's too problematic, there are more interesting ways to deal with it. It can be accounted for in class, monster, encounter & area design. The current approach seems heavy handed.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

That just means you should be pumping dex for high reflex (which does make sense!)

Wow, that poo poo is amazingly horrible.

The discussion forum is the worst part of the Codex. It makes up for it because the staff (DarkUnderlord, CrookedB, and co) go out of their way to drum up interesting interviews and retrospectives. They even interviewed the guy responsible for Deathlord. That's dedication.

Sensuki posted:

I don't know about that. They're not my favourite RPGs but I can definitely see the merits of both. Fallout is probably the best sandbox-y style RPG. A lot of players like that freedom. BG1 has a similar (but not quite as much) looseness about it compared to BG2.

BG1 definitely felt more open, even though BG2 was a much larger game. It had a lot to do with how the narratives were structured. In BG2, you start to see the shift toward a more 'cinematic' narrative. The Chapters coincide with story points that force you into certain places, mostly due to Irenicus's actions. Neverwinter Nights not withstanding, since it was developed more as a 'create your own adventure' tool, Bioware games really started morphing into more tightly scripted, nearly on rails, storylines. By the time you hit Mass Effect, it really becomes their hallmark. The first Dragon Age deviates from that, a little, but it was in production for so long that it really was kind of a throwback. I remember reading about it when Neverwinter Nights came out.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
That is the most amazingly putrid thread, wow.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

verybad posted:

I hope once the worst bugs in the beta are ironed out, Obsidian takes a serious look at the the recovery mechanic. Maybe it'll turn out fine, but it just sounds like such an unfun mechanic to me. Kiting is basic RTS gameplay, and if it's too problematic, there are more interesting ways to deal with it. It can be accounted for in class, monster, encounter & area design. The current approach seems heavy handed.

I agree

AbsolutelySane posted:

BG1 definitely felt more open, even though BG2 was a much larger game. It had a lot to do with how the narratives were structured. In BG2, you start to see the shift toward a more 'cinematic' narrative. The Chapters coincide with story points that force you into certain places, mostly due to Irenicus's actions.

Oh no doubt. BG2's chapter 2 was pretty open though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

verybad posted:

We want movement and recovery to feel good, but I think you're trivializing the problem. Most RTSs use relatively immutable units. They change a little and usually in specific ways over the course of a game. We can account for monster, encounter, and area design, but the "class" (or rather, party) side of the equation is much more variable and difficult to deal with. The variability of those parties is one of the great attractions of RPGs, but it's extremely easy for minor imbalance or an AI shortcoming to get magnified if players notice it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sensuki posted:

I'm pretty sure the original Fallout was the only old-style isometric RPG I actually finished.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Good, or at least common (partial) solution to the problem would be adding turn rates, if they're not already used. Longer attack animations for ranged attacks & abilities vs melee ones will also address the problem, and reload animations for weapon types where it's appropriate (these may be something you maybe should be able to cancel out of, but must fully complete before attacking again). It won't fully remove kiting, but is that even desirable? You talked about abusing the stealth mechanics to pull away single enemies away earlier being possible & fun in the current build, and I feel it's a bit similar to kiting. Sure, both are a little cheesy but as long as it doesn't get out of hand it's actually kind of fun thing to do.

(Kiting as a core mechanic also promotes giving melee types blink/burst of speed movement abilities to compensate, and those are always the most fun abilities to use.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sensuki don't respond to Immortal over on that other forum, he sounds like the sort of shitstirring rear end in a top hat you were describing :P Down that path lies madness.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

verybad posted:

(Kiting as a core mechanic also promotes giving melee types blink/burst of speed movement abilities to compensate, and those are always the most fun abilities to use.)
True, but it's easier for a human player to kite and respond to kiting than it is for AI to do it/recognize what's happening and adapt. In any case, we'll be looking at recovery more in the near future.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That codexer with the Malkavian avatar is a massive Scheisse Kopf.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 16, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Darkhold posted:

I always heard RPG Codex was bad but jesus christ.

I couldn't get past the first page on that thread. Does everyone on that site have 100% of their self esteem wrapped up in exactly one type of RPG they like?

It is seriously the worst. I do love how Divinity Original Sin is flawless, good, and pure, while the just released early beta of PoE is the shittiest game ever made by the hands of man because Josh Sawyer is a blight upon the world of RPGs.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It is seriously the worst. I do love how Divinity Original Sin is flawless, good, and pure, while the just released early beta of PoE is the shittiest game ever made by the hands of man because Josh Sawyer is a blight upon the world of RPGs.

They also think Skyrim and Oblivion are bad games while Morrowind and Arcanum are good. Basically, you can just do the opposite of whatever they say.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Skyrim is really awful, as a game, though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo, that codex thread :psyboom:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Intelligence boosting Deflection? I read lots of books means I'm good with a shield? Huh?

Intelligence making for a better fencer makes perfect sense to me. It's not so much about speed or precision or balance (though these are still vital), it's about knowing exactly how and when to attack so as not to leave yourself open to riposte.

And, honestly, if all we need is one slightly-off association to make a balanced stat spread, I'd say we're doing pretty well.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I do love how Divinity Original Sin is flawless, good, and pure...

An opinion definitely not restricted to RPG Codex, though one that's a bit mysterious to me. You really have to be in love with D:OS combat mechanics to slobber all over that title. In every other way, it's incredibly mediocre.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Airfoil posted:

An opinion definitely not restricted to RPG Codex, though one that's a bit mysterious to me. You really have to be in love with D:OS combat mechanics to slobber all over that title. In every other way, it's incredibly mediocre.

Divinity is so goddamn frustrating that it's almost insulting. It's very enjoyable of course and I'll finish it eventually, but the dialogue and lore is just piss-terrible. The writing style smells of Belgian cultural inferiority complex (I say this as a Belgian who struggles with exactly that).

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 16, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Well, the music is good and the art and graphics in general are neat. It is mostly the story that's generic as heck.

Edit: vvv Well, I'm mostly calling it generic since their last outing was so much more fun by comparison. Sure, the main plot was still generic, but you had things like the imperial decisions you could make, and the characters, while somewhat flat, still stood out well enough that you could actually tell which ones would act a certain way given a set of circumstances. Beyond a few outliers you really don't see that much in OS.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 16, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

evilmiera posted:

Well, the music is good and the art and graphics in general are neat. It is mostly the story that's generic as heck.

Don't they pretend to think story is important rather than inflating their undeserved egos? It's like they aren't even trying.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Airfoil posted:

D:Os has an interesting art and very good music, has unique (for nowadays) reactivity of the gameworld, and has very strong combat.

Moreoever, even the story itself has a lot of charming moments. Sure, it's uninspired, but it also has a lot of neat little details and some of the dialog and sidequests are really great.

Now, yes it also has some /really/ annoying parts storywise but what's annoying is subjective so as long as it doesn't make the game too much of a pain the rest can really, really shine.

D:OS is pretty much the best rpg of the last decade without question for me personally (only ones that come close are NWN2 and that's mostly because it scratches a different itch).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

NeilPerry posted:

Divinity is so goddamn frustrating that it's almost insulting.

For me it was the lack of direction. I don't need quest markers and stuff, and maybe I didn't try enough but the odd hint as where to go or road sign wouldn't hurt.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Intelligence making for a better fencer makes perfect sense to me. It's not so much about speed or precision or balance (though these are still vital), it's about knowing exactly how and when to attack so as not to leave yourself open to riposte.

It even has precedent in D&D!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Arkeus posted:

D:OS is pretty much the best rpg of the last decade without question for me personally (only ones that come close are NWN2 and that's mostly because it scratches a different itch).

Divinity: Original Sin is the best fantasy RPG I've played since Dragon Age: Origins. It has a lot of minor flaws. I think it's about on par with a game like, say, Avernum -- very good at scratching that "I want to play a tactical RPG" itch, but not something you're gonna try to convince all your friends they have to play. It's the sort of game that entertains fans of the genre but not the sort of game that creates new fans for the genre.

Setting aside the Gold Box and Infinity Engine games, I think a good argument can be made that the best RPG for its time was Darklands. The world really needs a remake of that one.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 16, 2014

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Furism posted:

For me it was the lack of direction. I don't need quest markers and stuff, and maybe I didn't try enough but the odd hint as where to go or road sign wouldn't hurt.

I liked that, actually. I just wish the game had a more interesting grounding for me to care enough to try and figure things out on my own. Everything (apart from direction) just gets spelled out so I just don't feel any sense of achievement. My only real complaint with the game is dialogue, really. Even if it just is a Fable-ish irreverent romp through a dumb world, the dialogue doesn't channel that aspect with any consistency.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Setting aside the Gold Box and Infinity Engine games, I think a good argument can be made that the best RPG for its time was Darklands. The world really needs a remake of that one.
Are you aware of Serpent in the Staglands?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

They also think Skyrim and Oblivion are bad games while Morrowind and Arcanum are good. Basically, you can just do the opposite of whatever they say.

Three of those things are true

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

That game is going to be amazing, I love the UI too <3

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Morrowind, motherfucker, or I'll gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pretty much how I figured it would work and it isn't that long of a stretch.

• Locked thread