Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

Some Vita games (the list of compatible games should expand nicely, I suspect most games that don't depend heavily on a touch screen like rhythm games should end up compatible)

Shawn Layden yesterday said "most Vita games". My bet is on ignorance, rather than dishonesty or an actual future effort to meaningfully expand the white list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh
VitaTV also seems to be even more worth it because you could use it as an easy way to have a second bigger screen for co-op games that feature the whole remote play thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Can you use accessories with the USB device for PSOne Games?

I'm just curious, because I'd love to use my fightstick (that has PSX support) for old fighting games.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I'm just curious, because I'd love to use my fightstick (that has PSX support) for old fighting games.

So far every topic about the Vita TV that I've seen on the internet after doing a search has either been about that topic with no answer or has had that question asked and nobody answered. So for now we just have to wait for someone to try I guess.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm probably gonna end up getting this for the sole purpose of being able to play my PS4 in another room without moving it.

It'll probably con me into buying Vita games I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SurfinArbiter posted:

So far every topic about the Vita TV that I've seen on the internet after doing a search has either been about that topic with no answer or has had that question asked and nobody answered. So for now we just have to wait for someone to try I guess.

Ugh. They're put so many psp and vita fighting games on PS+, and this would be awesome for the PSP version of SFA3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Unfortunately I just tried this with a PS3 fight stick (stock WWE Brawl stick) and it didn't work. None of the switch positions responded with joystick movements, and the buttons never did anything. Maybe if you had a stick that was based off a Dualshock 3/4 on a technical level it would work, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

univbee posted:

Unfortunately I just tried this with a PS3 fight stick (stock WWE Brawl stick) and it didn't work. None of the switch positions responded with joystick movements, and the buttons never did anything. Maybe if you had a stick that was based off a Dualshock 3/4 on a technical level it would work, though.

I've got 2 sticks with ps360+'s thrown in them, which supports PSOne, so I'm curious about that. I could see it not responding to a PS3 stick, though.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What use is a Vita TV with no games to play on it?

Actually what use is a vita TV anyway, why not just play the Vita? Or why not just port the Vita games to PS4 if Sony hates it so much?

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

Captain Mog posted:

What use is a Vita TV with no games to play on it?

Actually what use is a vita TV anyway, why not just play the Vita? Or why not just port the Vita games to PS4 if Sony hates it so much?

It's just a way to put vita games on a bigger TV. Aka a way to make more money. But it does have its uses too. You can play ps4 (and maybe ps3? idk how remote play works with it) games on the Vita itself with the remote play feature, so with the vita TV, its basically like having a second ps4. So on top of that you could do co op with someone else using vita TV and basically have a second tv instead of forcing the other to use the small vita one.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
From what I understand of how it works, I'm planning on picking one up to play PSP & Vita games I never got a chance to play (didn't own either, but there were a few titles), and I'm probably going to pick up that PS4 Destiny bundle, so it'll be used to remote play in another room if I feel like using the huge TV.

Both of those might be niche uses, but I'm really glad they're bringing it over anyways.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bumping an old as hell thread of mine, I know, but I put together a list of Japanese Vita releases which are not Vita TV compatible, to give people an idea of what (not) to expect. There are some interesting things I didn't expect, I have a hunch some devs might have decided against Vita TV compatibility because they consider the TV to be the domain of the PS3/4, and I think the Western indies and smaller studio just haven't gotten to it yet (and also a few games from studios that no longer exist and aren't exactly going out of their way to patch anything). Of course, there are a bunch of games that make considerable use of touch controls or even make use of the camera, so those obviously won't be ported. This list is more or less everything other than what looked like dating sim-type games that will never leave Japan anyway.

Games in bold are true Vita-exclusive games, and thus only possible to play on the handheld.

Asphalt: Injection
Assassin's Creed Liberation (also available digitally on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC)
Banshee's Last Cry (a.k.a. Night of the Sickle Weasel), also on iOS in English and various platforms in Japanese
Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
Child of Light (also on PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One)
Ciel nosurge
CounterSpy (also on PS3 and PS4)
Destiny of Spirits
DJ Max Technika Tune
Doki-Doki Universe (also on PS3 and PS4)
Dokuro (also on iOS/Android)
DragonBall Z Battle of Z (also on PS3)
Draw Slasher (also on iOS/Android)
Dynasty Warriors Next
Entwined (also on PS3 and PS4)
Escape Plan (also on PS4)
Everybody's Golf 6
FIFA 13
FIFA 14
flOw
Flower (also on PS3/PS4)
Gravity Rush
Guacamelee (also on PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One)
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (also on PS3) [Project Diva F 2nd is Vita TV-compatible]
Injustice: Gods Among Us (also on PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and PC)
Jet Set Radio
Killzone Mercenary
Legend of Heroes VII: The Trail of Zero Evolution (non-Evolution edition available in other formats)
Legend of Heroes VII: The Trail of Blue Evolution (non-Evolution edition available in other formats)
Little Deviants
LittleBigPlanet Vita
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (also on PS3 and Xbox 360)
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation Support Application (complementary app to PS3 game, likely Japan-only)
Moero Chronicle
Monster Monpiece
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
No Heroes Allowed: No Puzzles Either
orgarhythm (also available for Android)
Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan-only, also on iOS/Android/PC)
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (also on PS3)
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (also on PS3)
Rayman Legends
Reality Fighters
Resistance: Burning Skies
Ridge Racer
Sakatsuku: Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club! (also on PS3)
Samurai & Dragons
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Sound Shapes (also on PS3 and PS4)
Spy Hunter (also on 3DS)
Street Fighter X Tekken (also on PS3 with exclusive characters, 360 and PC)
Sumioni: Demon Arts (also on Android)
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
Super Stardust Delta
Tales of Hearts R (possible eventual iOS version, currently Japan only)
Tearaway
Terraria (also on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC)
Touch My Katamari
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13
Urban Trial Freestyle (also on PS3)
Virtua Tennis 4
The Walking Dead Season 1 (also on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC)
Wipeout 2048
WRC 3 FIA World Rally Championship
WRC 4 FIA World Rally Championship
YouTube App
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (also on 3DS)

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 10, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Playstation TV releasing October 14th in North America. :siren:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

I've already got a 64gb card waiting for when I get one.
If Sony don't maintain a list of supported software on the web they are gonna get a lot of returns and piss off a lot of people..

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

univbee posted:

Good. I've wanted to play a bunch of Vita games but I don't exactly need the whole handheld. The TV will be way cheaper, right?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Good. I've wanted to play a bunch of Vita games but I don't exactly need the whole handheld. The TV will be way cheaper, right?
PlaystaionTV (VitaTV) is priced around $99 compared to the Boarderlands vita bundle which is priced at ~$199. So your savings is about $100 but keep in mind the base VitaTV doesn't include a memory card (and you need a PS3 or PS4 controller to play it). There's also a Playstation TV bundle for $139 that gives you a PS3 controller, 8GB Memory Card, and a voucher for The LEGO Movie Videogame.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

4 weeks until North American release (tack on an extra month for Europe/Australia).

I keep hoping they'll push out an early update so those of us with Japanese Vita TV's can figure out a few things but nothing so far, in all likelihood if it happens at all it'll probably be a week or so before launch (like with the store update on October 7th).

That reminds me, I have to order a 64 gig card as well.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really looking forward to Vita gaming on the big screen. Can't wait!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm really looking forward to Vita gaming on the big screen. Can't wait!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665393

Check out this thread to see what's coming then, it's on now!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm glad to see that pretty much every interesting exclusive is not allowed on the Vita TV, good job sony

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Sound Shapes (also on PS3 and PS4)

I could have swore one of the updates for the game added in Vita TV compatibility. It wasn't the latest one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

I could have swore one of the updates for the game added in Vita TV compatibility. It wasn't the latest one.

It's possible the website just wasn't updated. I'll check my Vita TV after work tonight to see if the game's in the Vita TV store or not.

EDIT It looks like it's on the Vita TV store so I guess you're right about that. One less incompatible game!

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 18, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad to see that pretty much every interesting exclusive is not allowed on the Vita TV, good job sony

Well, the "unsupported" list seems to consist pretty much entirely of games which legitimately can't work due to the game's Vita version needing the camera (e.g. Assassin's Creed Liberation's Vita version, Tearaway, Metrico), heavy touch screen use (e.g. DJ Max Teknica Tune), or Western devs who haven't had good reason/opportunity to make the necessary adjustments to get their game working. A lot is probably going to ride on how well the console does in the West, too.

I would expect the bulk of games whose Japanese versions are compatible to work: stuff like Ys: Memories of Celceta, the Dangan Ronpa games, Toukiden and the like will probably work. As soon as I find out that the North American store is up (and assuming there isn't something preventing my Japanese Vita TV from connecting to it) I'll give it a thorough checkup to see what I can get working or not. I also half-expect we'll probably get a compatibility list prior to launch, as well, and that should give us some information.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh, hey, Sony posted a compatibility list here: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

Even better, a lot of games that weren't flagged as compatible in Japan are compatible now, it seems. That said, both Disgaea 3 and Ys: Memories of Celceta aren't listed so hopefully that's either a mistake or something which is still pending (Japanese Ys is definitely compatible and I think D3 is as well). Here's an updated incompatibility list:

EDIT Going to maintain the list here instead going forward: http://physicalgames.wordpress.com/pstv/

The YouTube App isn't explicitly listed anywhere

So notable compatible games:
Most indies not on the above list (so stuff like Spelunky, Dragon Fantasy, Divekick, CounterSpy, Hohokum, Dustforce, Fez, Hotline Miami, Luftrausers, Machinarium, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, Limbo, Doki-Doki Universe, Retro City Rampage...)
both Dangan Ronpa games
Zen Pinball 2 and Pinball Arcade
Jet Set Radio
Killzone: Mercenary
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (although I imagine it will still just be single player local)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 22, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Are SKV, ToH R, and Akiba Trip compatible with the Japanese PS TV?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan-only, also on iOS/Android/PC)
Not totally relevant, but the Android/iOS version isn't the same game as the Vita/PC version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oblomov posted:

Are SKV, ToH R, and Akiba Trip compatible with the Japanese PS TV?

Yes to all three of those, actually, but I don't think this list is covering future releases yet so maybe for Senran Kagura and Tales of Hearts R at least they will be, not sure if Akiba is just an omission or needs work (I'm pretty sure it launched compatible with the Vita TV in Japan).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You put Jet Set Radio in both of your lists there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

You put Jet Set Radio in both of your lists there.

I missed removing it in my first pass. :eng99:

It's explicitly listed as compatible.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

DS4 and Gold Headset compatibility and I'm sold.

Any news on either eventually making it in?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FoolishLobster posted:

DS4 and Gold Headset compatibility and I'm sold.

Any news on either eventually making it in?

DS4 is already compatible on the Japanese Vita TV and how I use mine, and the touchpad can even work for some touchscreen things. I think the USB port is just for charging and controller syncing, though, so unfortunately no "breakout" options for audio, at least not directly from the device.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

univbee posted:

I missed removing it in my first pass. :eng99:

It's explicitly listed as compatible.

I'm glad I saw it because I didn't even know the game was on Vita.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

univbee posted:

Yes to all three of those, actually, but I don't think this list is covering future releases yet so maybe for Senran Kagura and Tales of Hearts R at least they will be, not sure if Akiba is just an omission or needs work (I'm pretty sure it launched compatible with the Vita TV in Japan).

Oh, that's good. What about Freedom Wars?

Edit: Forgot SAO as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oblomov posted:

Oh, that's good. What about Freedom Wars?

This too. (EDIT and SAO, both games are compatible in Japan) Not sure why SAO isn't on the compatibility list though, maybe it will need a patch?

It's pretty rare for a Vita game to not be Vita TV compatible in Japan unless it's designed in such a way that the touchscreen/camera are essential.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 22, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

univbee posted:

This too. (EDIT and SAO, both games are compatible in Japan) Not sure why SAO isn't on the compatibility list though, maybe it will need a patch?

It's pretty rare for a Vita game to not be Vita TV compatible in Japan unless it's designed in such a way that the touchscreen/camera are essential.

Excellent. I guess I am keeping my preorder after all!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why are there also games missing from the PSP-compatible list on sony's site? Will Portable OPs not be playable?

The gently caress

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ha, I was just thinking of getting a Vita or 3DS so I could play some of those dungeon crawlers like Class of Heroes or Etrian's Odyssey, but I'm not really a huge fan of hand helds as I do most of my gaming at home. So this is the perfect options for me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Why are there also games missing from the PSP-compatible list on sony's site? Will Portable OPs not be playable?

The gently caress

Portable Ops isn't compatible with the regular Vita, even, for reasons unknown. A while back Sony accidentally unlocked all downloadables for the Vita and some people got it that way, although I think it's somewhat unstable. That said, anyone lucky enough to get it and other games that way might have some luck using the content manager to transfer it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do we know if the Vita TV is region-free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Beef Waifu posted:

Do we know if the Vita TV is region-free?

The Japanese version only accepts JP PSN accounts but I think physical stuff is still region-free. No idea about the NA/PAL versions.

• Locked thread