Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The lead in District 9, the psycho villain in Elysium, and Murdock in The A-Team.

Oh! That guy. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Deadpool posted:

Nick Tarabay (Ashur on Spartacus) is the next Spartacus alum to land on Arrow. He'll be playing Captain Boomerang and will be in 3x07 and 3x08 which is the crossover episode.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=123011

Captain fuckin' Boomerang. I hope there's a giant Boomerang contraption involved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Since a couple people here recently binge watched the first season of Arrow, did they explain much about that Proto-Deathstroke who wasn't Slade? All I remember is that Slade said they used to be partners or something.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think the episode that gives out the (little) info on him is the same episode Slade kills hims.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Since a couple people here recently binge watched the first season of Arrow, did they explain much about that Proto-Deathstroke who wasn't Slade? All I remember is that Slade said they used to be partners or something.

Wintergreen? Yeah he was Slade's mission partner and when they came to the island to kill Fyres, Wintergreen switched sides.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Not having seen Arrow, that actor looks exactly like David Hasselhoff with the Fury eyepatch and a full Evil Spock goatee.

Also, I love how every screenshot of Arrow I see makes it look exactly like the top-of-the-line fan films from 2007.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Thinking some more about the Lucifer TV show and I think Simon Baker from the Mentalist would make a great Lucifer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

This is your monthly reminder that Manu Bennett went to college to study dance and drama. Clearly, it paid off :smug:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Boogaleeboo posted:

This is your monthly reminder that Manu Bennett went to college to study dance and drama. Clearly, it paid off :smug:

It sure did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkrqolXWjQ

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When the real people of GOTHAM become comics, the men become fatter or stay the same and the women become thinner... and lose all their internal organs

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I hope Gotham is good, but every piece of advertising that comes out for it just lowers my expectations more and more. The whole 'Watch Catwoman do Catwoman-y things before she becomes Catwoman!' approach to a lot of their more recent marketing just seems kinda desperate.

Also I laugh every time they throw Jada Pinkett Smith's character into the same advertising as Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, etc. and pretend that she's not going to be the only one who will probably get caught in the show.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Gotham is at 64 on Metacritic with no reviews so far below 50, so I'd bet it's passable at worst. I think I'm going to like it, even though I would've preferred an adaptation of Gotham Central. It seems like the series should have a "it's hopeless" angle, given that Gotham is still an utter poo poo hole when Bruce grows up.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/gotham/critic-reviews

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Cardboard Box A posted:

When the real people of GOTHAM become comics, the men become fatter or stay the same and the women become thinner... and lose all their internal organs

Who's the woman on the right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fish Mooney, the current crimeboss with a terrible name. They're an original character for the show.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That they don't actually adapt Gotham Central is a shame, not only is it a great series, it also perfectly let them not have Batman be a prominent figure in the series, which is what they seem to be shooting for. It's pretty easy to envision the pitch meeting for this, so the people in charge probably never heard of the comic, which is a shame, because it would solve so many problems this series will run into (And apparently does).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
At my comicshop yesterday I saw a reissue of the first Gotham Central with the Gotham TV show banner on the top, so at least they are acknowledging a tenuous connection.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After they shot the pilot they cast Renee and Crispus so they are at least putting Gotham Central characters in there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

At my comicshop yesterday I saw a reissue of the first Gotham Central with the Gotham TV show banner on the top, so at least they are acknowledging a tenuous connection.

Comixology are also doing a big ol' Gotham Central sale for the same reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CBS has picked up Greg Berlanti's Supergirl series.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/supergirl-tv-series-cbs-dc-greg-berlati-ali-adler-836682/

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Has anyone besides Rob Bricken at io9 discussed the possibility of continuity for these new shows with existing ones? Obviously Gotham won't be, but is there any hope for Titans/Arrow/Flash/Supergirl to be in a shared universe?

Obviously this would be a huge achievement for these many different companies and such to pull off and I'm not holding my breath. Is there precedent for cross-network crossover? I'm pretty sure late era Buffy on UPN still had stuff to do with Angel on WB.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

hi liter posted:

Obviously this would be a huge achievement for these many different companies and such to pull off and I'm not holding my breath. Is there precedent for cross-network crossover? I'm pretty sure late era Buffy on UPN still had stuff to do with Angel on WB.

Angel had the same showrunner and an expectation of established continuity from years of being a spinoff on the same network, I bet it was still a huge hassle to negotiate any crossover.

A CBS show is not going to deign to crossover with a CW show if for no other reason than elitism.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CW is partly owned by CBS and Arrow/Flash are also done by Greg Berlanti and come from the same studio. So it's possible. But at the same time the Arrow guys have said there is no Superman in their universe. And Supergirl's logline explicitly states he exists in her's.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I really hope these shows don't connect with each other. I'm so tired of everything having crossovers and being part of some greater shared universe; it's just a trendy gimmick that homogenizes and waters down content.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hi liter posted:

Has anyone besides Rob Bricken at io9 discussed the possibility of continuity for these new shows with existing ones? Obviously Gotham won't be, but is there any hope for Titans/Arrow/Flash/Supergirl to be in a shared universe?

No they did not. The only crossovers were characters and not part 1 on one show and part 2 in another. It also only happened in the final season of Buffy and after Buffy was cancelled.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

hi liter posted:

Obviously this would be a huge achievement for these many different companies and such to pull off and I'm not holding my breath. Is there precedent for cross-network crossover?

Other than Munch being loving everywhere, nothing comes to mind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

Other than Munch being loving everywhere, nothing comes to mind.

Ally McBeal and The Practice had a crossover in the '90s despite being on different networks. As with these shows they both shared a creator. And they both aired on the same night.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And of course John Munch..

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can't wait for the Marvel and DC universes to become one with the Tommy Westphallverse

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I honestly don't expect the major network shows to last more then two seasons. Arrow pulls good numbers for the CW but it wouldn't survive on a major network. Constantine might but it's basically in the horror genre not the hero genre.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...straight to series? Wow. I know Berlanti has some cachet now, but that's impressive. It is also kind of cutely "crap, all the other networks have a comic book show, quick, what's being pitched?"

Edit: Ah, comittment, not order. So they can still not do it, they'd just owe Berlanti and WB a lot of money.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 19, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

HorseRenoir posted:

I really hope these shows don't connect with each other. I'm so tired of everything having crossovers and being part of some greater shared universe; it's just a trendy gimmick that homogenizes and waters down content.

I would like a list of everything that has crossed over with each other to water down content enough for this to be a legitimate complaint, because other than Law and Order, NCIS and CSI spin offs, all I can come up with is the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ToastyPotato posted:

I would like a list of everything that has crossed over with each other to water down content enough for this to be a legitimate complaint, because other than Law and Order, NCIS and CSI spin offs, all I can come up with is the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It was mentioned a while ago, but every show out there pretty much is in a shared universe

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah that is a joke and doesn't count. The whole point of a shared universe is that they share space, not that some random character from another show popped up in one episode one time or that there was a background reference to a random thing in another show.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty much the only show I can think of that has legitimately placed itself in an ongoing shared universe, and while there is plenty to criticize about its first season, blaming the MCU is pretty much scapegoating.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So will Superman appear on the show occasionally, or is there a still an embargo on certain characters? If he exists in the show's universe but can never appear, how will his absence be explained?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Barry Convex posted:

So will Superman appear on the show occasionally, or is there a still an embargo on certain characters? If he exists in the show's universe but can never appear, how will his absence be explained?

The same way it was in the movie Supergirl.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

The same way it was in the movie Supergirl.

Faye Dunaway needs to reprise her role from that.

But seriously, a 22-episode TV series is not the same thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is why I say just have her be the original. The alternative is you do something dumb like Clark flying off to Krypton's dead husk for 5 years like in Superman Returns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And of course John Munch..

Frankly I'm getting sick of seeing that guy pop up places.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Agents of SHIELD is pretty much the only show I can think of that has legitimately placed itself in an ongoing shared universe, and while there is plenty to criticize about its first season, blaming the MCU is pretty much scapegoating.

Blaming Marvel Studios (not necessarily the same thing, I know) is definitely not scapegoating, though there was too much wrong with at least the first half of S1 to pin the blame on any one party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Blaming Marvel Studios (not necessarily the same thing, I know) is definitely not scapegoating, though there was too much wrong with at least the first half of S1 to pin the blame on any one party.

Not being able to say the word HYRDA doesn't excuse the bad writing, dialog, and direction of the show, especially in the first half. They had limitations imposed by Disney and Marvel Studios, but what they delivered was subpar and had very little to do with that. It was just a substandard show. There are plenty of shows not tied to the Marvel universe that manage to tell decent, interesting stories. Also, Deathlok's design being god awful had nothing to do with anything outside of poor design choices being made.