Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
T-Mobile customer service is horrendous. Not only do they not fix gently caress ups, they train people at stores to flat out lie and take advantage of not so knowledgeable customers. A lot of times when they say they will credit you, they'll tell you that it'll happen next billing cycle, but nothing happens when the time comes. You call and ask WTF, and the customer service person doesn't have any clue what happened even though they have the ability to write notes on your account. Oh by the way, the next fix you'll in next billing cycle, or so they say to shut you up for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So I ordered a 6+ from the apple site. When the phone comes in do I just take my SIM out of my 5s and put it in the 6+ and I am good to go? Never done this before.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

badjohny posted:

So I ordered a 6+ from the apple site. When the phone comes in do I just take my SIM out of my 5s and put it in the 6+ and I am good to go? Never done this before.

Did you do an upgrade or just buy it straight up? If you told apple you're upgrading, the phone will have a sim installed and when you activate the phone, the new sim will take the place of the old one and your old phone will disconnect. If you didn't tell apple to treat it as an upgrade, you can swap sims and be good to go.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Did you do an upgrade or just buy it straight up? If you told apple you're upgrading, the phone will have a sim installed and when you activate the phone, the new sim will take the place of the old one and your old phone will disconnect. If you didn't tell apple to treat it as an upgrade, you can swap sims and be good to go.

...I have no idea what I did. How would I check?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

badjohny posted:

...I have no idea what I did. How would I check?

Well, did you buy it from your phone using the Apple Store app or on Apple's website? If you used the app, the only option was to upgrade, so that will narrow it down. Otherwise, I'd look over the email you got confirming your order.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Well, did you buy it from your phone using the Apple Store app or on Apple's website? If you used the app, the only option was to upgrade, so that will narrow it down. Otherwise, I'd look over the email you got confirming your order.

I used the website. Payed it in full. I just redid the order from the website. There is only one option for tmobile. "contract-free" from 749. I got all the way to the phone in my cart and was never asked if it was an upgrade.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

badjohny posted:

I used the website. Payed it in full. I just redid the order from the website. There is only one option for tmobile. "contract-free" from 749. I got all the way to the phone in my cart and was never asked if it was an upgrade.

Well if you were never asked for your phone number (except as part of your billing address) I'd say you're getting a phone with a "virgin" SIM card and not one that will take over your old one.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have an unsubsidized iPhone scheduled to arrive Friday, but have no prior relationship with T-Mobile. Is there anything I can I do now to get ready to port over my current ATT number to the $30 prepaid plan as painlessly as possible?

Do I need to buy an activation kit at Walmart, or will the phone come with a fresh sim I can just set up online?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I have an unsubsidized iPhone scheduled to arrive Friday, but have no prior relationship with T-Mobile. Is there anything I can I do now to get ready to port over my current ATT number to the $30 prepaid plan as painlessly as possible?

Do I need to buy an activation kit at Walmart, or will the phone come with a fresh sim I can just set up online?

The phone should have a new sim in it. The $30 plan can only be activated online or at walmart, so just go to Tmobile's website and follow the links to activate a new sim. I ported from AT&T to the $30 plan and it was done in about 30 min.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Brock Landers posted:

The phone should have a new sim in it. The $30 plan can only be activated online or at walmart, so just go to Tmobile's website and follow the links to activate a new sim. I ported from AT&T to the $30 plan and it was done in about 30 min.

Awesome. Thank you. I wasn't clear if the "activation kit" was anything more than a fresh sim and I don't want to be stuck waiting for one to ship after the phone arrives.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

eddiewalker posted:

Awesome. Thank you. I wasn't clear if the "activation kit" was anything more than a fresh sim and I don't want to be stuck waiting for one to ship after the phone arrives.
The activation kit is a SIM and a code. The code can be bypassed, but not easily. Order an activation kit, or run down to walmart and pick up the cheapest t-mo prepaid box (which will have an activation code included in it).

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I just switched to the $30 plan today without an activation code and it was fairly painless. The online chat support gave me one when I said I didn't have it, they just made me check my packaging three times to make sure I really didn't have it. However, if they tell you to use your phone number as your old account number don't believe them. I was on Boost and the only way to get your account number from them is by calling support. T-Mobile told me to just use the phone number instead so of course Boost denied the port request because it was the wrong account number.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I didn't think that my new phone would come with a SIM, so I wasted 10 bucks to buy one. the hell.

edit: somehow going from regular hspda to LTE took my usage from 6 gigs to 10 in a single day.

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 14, 2014

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Well if you were never asked for your phone number (except as part of your billing address) I'd say you're getting a phone with a "virgin" SIM card and not one that will take over your old one.

So I will need to go into tmobile and get it setup?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Do I really have to send in my S3 to qualify for the ETF reimbursement? I'd rather hang on to it. I'm willing to pay in order to keep it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Speed question

I'm currently using a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile, so getting LTE. I'm selling this phone for financial reasons and am looking to get something cheaper. Looking at the new Moto G, how much of a speed difference do you think I would notice? The new Moto G doesn't do LTE, but it does HSPA+ which from my understanding can be quite fast on T-Mobile's network, yes? I'm in SE Michigan which generally has good coverage since I am right outside of Detroit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

skooma512 posted:

Do I really have to send in my S3 to qualify for the ETF reimbursement? I'd rather hang on to it. I'm willing to pay in order to keep it.
You need to send in a phone. That's part of the deal. I guess if you really want to keep your S3, you could buy the cheapest whatever that's available used and send that in.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Trip Daddy X posted:

Speed question

I'm currently using a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile, so getting LTE. I'm selling this phone for financial reasons and am looking to get something cheaper. Looking at the new Moto G, how much of a speed difference do you think I would notice? The new Moto G doesn't do LTE, but it does HSPA+ which from my understanding can be quite fast on T-Mobile's network, yes? I'm in SE Michigan which generally has good coverage since I am right outside of Detroit.

Tmobile's HSPA+ is quite good, for 99% of what you do on a phone you won't notice the difference.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm tethering on a free trial 5s, and I seem to almost always be on 4g not LTE despite being in a major corridor for the region. (405 in the Seattle area.) Is there something that is preventing the phone from jumping back from 4g to LTE? I've been downloading a 260MB file while doing my morning commute for the past 25 minutes and I'm only 136MB in. I feel that on my normal Verizon this would have finished in no more than 5-6 minutes.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

I'm tethering on a free trial 5s, and I seem to almost always be on 4g not LTE despite being in a major corridor for the region. (405 in the Seattle area.) Is there something that is preventing the phone from jumping back from 4g to LTE? I've been downloading a 260MB file while doing my morning commute for the past 25 minutes and I'm only 136MB in. I feel that on my normal Verizon this would have finished in no more than 5-6 minutes.

EDIT: Reading is hard!

I've had times where I've dipped to 5 mbps but around Ballard I'll do 20-30 mbps. You can run Speedtest on your Verizon phone and T-Mobile phone and see what you get. When I've downloading ~30 MB podcasts it would usually take a minute or so. Most of my usage is streaming or reading SA/websites so having a high bandwidth connection is not something I notice

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 15, 2014

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
I'm assuming with Jump, you have to trade in the actual phone you were paying installments on, right? You can't just give them any old phone for trade-in, like the offer for people coming from other carriers?

Definitely taking advantage of the Jump special enrollment offer happing Sept. 17, and trading in my one-year-old 5S.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 15, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ryangs posted:

I'm assuming with Jump, you have to trade in the actual phone you were paying installments on, right? You can't just give them any old phone for trade-in, like the offer for people coming from other carriers?

Definitely taking advantage of the Jump special enrollment offer happing Sept. 17, and trading in my one-year-old 5S.

Yeah, it has to be the exact same device.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Do we know how the open enrollment is going to work? Can anyone just trade in their current financed phone for a new one, or does the current one need to be paid off 50%?

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Trip Daddy X posted:

Do we know how the open enrollment is going to work? Can anyone just trade in their current financed phone for a new one, or does the current one need to be paid off 50%?

CSR I talked to yesterday confirmed it needs to be paid off 50%, but any phone should work. Meaning, it doesn't have to be a phone that currently lacks Wi-Fi calling. I guess we'll find out if that's true on Wednesday.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Do T-Mobile stores have iPhone's available for walk-in purchases on launch day, or are they all used to fill pre-orders?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

nickutz posted:

Do T-Mobile stores have iPhone's available for walk-in purchases on launch day, or are they all used to fill pre-orders?

Stores will have them. It will be first come first serve and most stores will be opening at 8am Friday. Make sure you back up your old phone before you come in. Most stores wont be transferring data this weekend.

Trip Daddy X posted:

The way the jump enrollment will work is you will as the jump feature to your account. Once you have paid 50% of phone you can give it to Tmobile and make a new down payment on the new phone. T-mobile will pay the other half. So for instance let's say you bought the IPhone 5s for $650 and have already payed off $225. If you want to get the iPhone 6 you add Jump, pay $100 to get to half way paid and then pay they tax on the iPhone 6.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just called my local T-Mobile store to confirm that the CellSpot would be available tomorrow and I was told that I could come pick one up today. We'll see in a bit, I guess.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Burden posted:

The way the jump enrollment will work is you will as the jump feature to your account. Once you have paid 50% of phone you can give it to Tmobile and make a new down payment on the new phone. T-mobile will pay the other half. So for instance let's say you bought the IPhone 5s for $650 and have already payed off $225. If you want to get the iPhone 6 you add Jump, pay $100 to get to half way paid and then pay they tax on the iPhone 6.

That's insane. I don't understand why anyone would do Jump with an iPhone. The phones are insanely expensive, and they don't depreciate as quickly as any other phones.

If you upgrade your phone every year, and get a basic 16GB iPhone, you're looking at about $445 + Tax by paying half of the phone and paying for Jump for 1 year. The only way Jump would be a good move is if you were unable to get more than $200 for a 1 year old iPhone, but I see bids on phones on eBay right now for 16GB iPhone 5s models for around $400, and i'm only looking at the first page of search results.

So... Jump is essentially a $200 convenience fee for those that don't know how to sell their used phone? I never did the math before, but I don't know why anybody would use Jump for an iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Somehow, AT&T and Verizon made their versions of it better than T-Mobile by offering a discount for using it. AT&T even maintains the discount if you bring your own device; Verizon isn't quite so nice.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If I hadn't signed up for JUMP a year ago under the original terms I wouldn't even bother with it now.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

So I just called my local T-Mobile store to confirm that the CellSpot would be available tomorrow and I was told that I could come pick one up today. We'll see in a bit, I guess.

I called Tmo last night and asked about CellSpot and they had no loving clue what I was talking about.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

If you upgrade online with a preordered iphone through JUMP, how does the trade it work? Do you just have an x amount of time to mail in your trade in while you wait for the new phone to arrive or what?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kanish posted:

If you upgrade online with a preordered iphone through JUMP, how does the trade it work? Do you just have an x amount of time to mail in your trade in while you wait for the new phone to arrive or what?

I was told 7 days by a rep in the store FWIW

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I was told 7 days by a rep in the store FWIW

Any idea if thats 7 days after you received the new phone or initiated the jump trade?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kanish posted:

Any idea if thats 7 days after you received the new phone or initiated the jump trade?

After I receive the phone. Because I asked what the heck happens if I initiate the trade in, and then the phone doesn't come until sometime in October... that was their answer. If they had the phone in stock they said it's different.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

Shoot, forgot to update this. The store manager said that they got a bulletin ~20 minutes after I called saying that the CellSpots needed a software upgrade and that the new availability date was 7/24.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

So, I just looked at T-Mobile's estimated trade-in value for my 32GB 5S, and it's $352! That seems high. That's more than is left on my equipment installment plan, so assuming they actually give me anywhere near that much, I'd be better off just trading in than doing this special Jump enrollment.

Later on in the trade process, do they give you a more precise estimate, or a range? My device is in great shape, aside from a few nicks in the aluminum edge on the back.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The trade-in value is determined on the spot and is used as credit towards your in-store expenditure: new phone, tax, accessories, etc.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Any specs on the new cell spots? How long till they are hacked back to standard firmware or remove all the tmo backdoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

api call girl posted:

The trade-in value is determined on the spot and is used as credit towards your in-store expenditure: new phone, tax, accessories, etc.

What if you're doing a phone or online order? Gotta do that to get the 64GB iPhones.