Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can gimp yourself, but it's pretty hard to make the game unwinnable. If you just go with a party that makes reasonable sense you should be okay in general. Don't waste skillpoints on weapon/armor/magic skills you won't use, obviously.

Just keep in mind that magic users are very heavy on the micro. Two mages in a party is great but you're going to be clicking like a madman constantly if you go that route. It's fun if you like that kind of thing.

Cheers, was just going to with a 'classic' rogue/wizard/warrior/cleric type set-up. Good to know. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Justin_Brett posted:

Anyway, Eldritch is good, right?

Very good, but kind of in the shortish side. You will probably be done with it in an afternoon. A fun afternoon, note.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Story about My Uncle, pretty neat, pretty short, pretty clunky voice acting, towards the end some of the spidermanning gets a little confusing because it's not obvious where you're supposed to go next. It is a game where you have a grapple hook and super jump and eventually you get rocket boots, so there's that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers, was just going to with a 'classic' rogue/wizard/warrior/cleric type set-up. Good to know. :v:

If you want to avoid having useless characters later on, IIRC you should probably avoid heavy investment into Spellcraft, Staff Defence and Throwing Weapons at least. 50 points into Spellcraft halves all spell costs for example, but such a large investment means you don't have any powerful spells to really take advantage of it with.

If memory serves Earth Magic and Unarmed are a bit weak as well, other than that it doesn't really matter which weapon/spell school you specialize in. The game isn't difficult enough to require min-maxing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

If you want to avoid having useless characters later on, IIRC you should probably avoid heavy investment into Spellcraft, Staff Defence and Throwing Weapons at least. 50 points into Spellcraft halves all spell costs for example, but such a large investment means you don't have any powerful spells to really take advantage of it with.

If memory serves Earth Magic and Unarmed are a bit weak as well, other than that it doesn't really matter which weapon/spell school you specialize in. The game isn't difficult enough to require min-maxing.

Unarmed is awesome. I believe I ran an unarmed minotaur with the skull collecting trait and he just wrecked poo poo.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

There's no pirate MOBAs :colbert:

Strife is pirate-themed, sort of.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
why do russians take so many screenshots

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did they end up patching DR3? I'm getting better performance all around all of a sudden (although it now chugs for the first like 10mins of gametime before stabilizing)

The more I play it though the more I'm upset that the soundtrack is so lame this time around though. DR1 and 2's boss fight musics were loving hilarious and I loved all of them.

There's only like one good one in DR3 and it makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjrTV6M84c

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

John Romero posted:

To hang next to the rugs on the wall.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

John Romero posted:

Cause you made them your bitch?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up Godus from the Humble store today, the Yogscast guys did a video with Peter Molyneux which got me interested in it. He seems like a pretty cool guy, the commentary track in game with him is pretty neat too. The game seems okay so far, but I'm not crazy about the voyages because my guys keep glitching out and getting stuck in an area, then once I fail so many times I apparently need to wait 20 real time minutes to get more people or spend gems to reinforce right away. Then if you don't have the gems it links you to the in-game store to buy some which doesn't exist in the PC version so it's just a blank page :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did they end up patching DR3? I'm getting better performance all around all of a sudden (although it now chugs for the first like 10mins of gametime before stabilizing)

The more I play it though the more I'm upset that the soundtrack is so lame this time around though. DR1 and 2's boss fight musics were loving hilarious and I loved all of them.

There's only like one good one in DR3 and it makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjrTV6M84c

Yeah that the only complaint I really have in DR3. The soundtrack isn't as memorable this time around. Especially after how some of the boss themes in Dead Rising just instantly remind you of how much of a pain that boss fight was, like these two songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeThz30JtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byu9rKjBg8

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

explosivo posted:

I picked up Godus from the Humble store today, the Yogscast guys did a video with Peter Molyneux which got me interested in it. He seems like a pretty cool guy, the commentary track in game with him is pretty neat too. The game seems okay so far, but I'm not crazy about the voyages because my guys keep glitching out and getting stuck in an area, then once I fail so many times I apparently need to wait 20 real time minutes to get more people or spend gems to reinforce right away. Then if you don't have the gems it links you to the in-game store to buy some which doesn't exist in the PC version so it's just a blank page :v:

I'm sorry about your 5bux

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

explosivo posted:

I picked up Godus from the Humble store today, the Yogscast guys did a video with Peter Molyneux which got me interested in it. He seems like a pretty cool guy

If he's such a cool guy, why does he lie so much?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome! posted:

I'm sorry about your 5bux

Meh, I wouldn't pay full price for it but I could see myself getting $5 worth of fun out of it. I haven't really followed the game at all since launch, why all the hate?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Seventh Arrow posted:

If he's such a cool guy, why does he lie so much?

I always got the impression that Molyneux was so excited about the possibilities in his mind that he has trouble sorting fantasy from reality.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Saoshyant posted:

God, has this forum gone completely to poo poo. It's YCS and absurdly proud of it for some reason.

Nah, when we start seeing casual racism again we can call this YCS

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stuntman posted:

What's the consensus on Always Sometimes Monsters? It looks interesting, but the reviews are a bit split on it.

Probably fine if you're not a speed reader. If you are you'll find that the text moves waaaay too slowly with no option to speed it up and in an all text game that's just unacceptable. It was to the point were I'd alt-tab out if I could without the game losing focus because I was reading for two seconds, waiting for 4. Reading for 2, waiting for 4. I'm sure it's a very good story though.

E: wow this is pages late hahah

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 17, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kanfy posted:

Is there any significant difference between the difficulty levels? I'm sorely, sorely tempted to do that 'old school' thing and get some graph paper out for it. It sounds absolutely wonderful and I'm annoyed I'm too young to have done it properly back in the day. :allears:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Tower of Guns is the cheapest its been in the humble store today, and I remember some people in this thread saying it was good. I love me some procedural death labyrinth-y games like Spelunky, FTL, BoI, Dredmor, Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, etc., should I buy it?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

explosivo posted:

At this point if you buy a Molyneux product and are unhappy with the result, the blame lies solely on you. It's a scorpion and the frog thing. You knew what he was like before you let him ride on your back, you've no one to blame but yourself when you end up drowning.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like Molyneux, he's adorable in his affection for everything. :3:

I'm a bit biased though. Fable helped me deal with depression I was suffering, so I'd probably overlook him literally making GBS threads all over an orphan at this point.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPyRRB9yWI&t=113s

Also skip to 5:13 for an amazing quote.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/16/steam-logo-appears-on-final-fantasy-xiii-site/105091/
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

I am so angry right now.

Because I'm probably going to buy it/them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Logan 5 posted:

Tower of Guns is the cheapest its been in the humble store today, and I remember some people in this thread saying it was good. I love me some procedural death labyrinth-y games like Spelunky, FTL, BoI, Dredmor, Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, etc., should I buy it?
It is kinda like Binding of Isaac in that the rooms you get are always randomized, there are powerups to find (but they're more basic along the lines of "higher jump" "faster fire" etc, rather than creative mystery items like in BoI), there are bosses on each floor. Also there's a random narrative every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GftJj8Xlq88

I will say that the gun you start with is not my favorite, but you unlock more guns not just with achievements but even from dying a lot. One time I died enough times that I unlocked a special idiot level that gave me a bunch of buffs before moving on to level 1.

Also if you've ever played Cave Story, the game borrows its gun levelling system. So your gun levels up the more you destroy, and gets more powerful, but the more hits you take, it starts to lose XP and can sometimes level back down.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Stan Taylor posted:

Controller chat: Does the Xbone controller show up like a 360 controller on older games? I want to pick up some more controllers for sweet local multi, but have had trouble with button mapping and display prompts being weird when I went the mix and match route before. Or would I be better off just grabbing more 360 controllers?

And are they still ever going to put out the steam controller?

I have used an xbone controller exclusively since the drivers were released and it's exactly the same as having a 360 controller plugged in. No issues with mixing/matching in local co-op games either, my only gripe is unless I'm missing something, you can't tell what player number you are by looking only at the xbone controller you have to figure it out (easily) in-game.

FreakFuta never stop posting, your mangamaker program has already paid for itself at least in my eyes; it's all profit now

Tower of Guns looked worth 3.74 to me, I'm downloading it now to see how this roguelike FPS idea works out. Sure sounds like it should be fun, I've had my eye on it for a while.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

At this point if you buy a Molyneux product and are unhappy with the result, the blame lies solely on you. It's a scorpion and the frog thing. You knew what he was like before you let him ride on your back, you've no one to blame but yourself when you end up drowning.

This kind of reaction is warranted if I had to take out a loan to buy Godus. At the worst I play the game for a few hours and put it on the shelf.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Final Fantasy 4 DS remake is cool and I had a lot of fun with it on the DS. So if you're interested its definitely worth picking up on Steam.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I feel like it's mildly relevant because it involves both Steam and Humble Bundle.

I just had an odd password scare with PayPal, wherein sometime last week I bought the humble bundle, with the same paypal password I always use.

Just some hours ago, I bought Postal 2 (I know you guys told me not to, I couldn't help it :smith:), and I had no problem automagically purchasing it without it needing my password.

When I go to buy the humble mobile bundle for today, my password doesn't work. Even when I go to paypal.com on my own and try my password, it failed. I got a little scared but successfully changed it, but only then did it notify me, via email, that I had changed my password, although there was no reason my older password shouldn't have been working--it must have been changed.

Has anyone ever had a scare like that? Or is it just me being paranoid :ohdear:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The GBA (and the DS) has a large handful of handheld ports of big console games
Here's the influential Kill Switch (Gears Of War, Uncharted and R6:Vegas cite this game that got them to use a cover system), on the GBA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDL_OAyKAbs

Or Brothers In Arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7AOfTaZDA
On the DS.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Morter posted:

[...]

You're probably being paranoid. Paypal sends you an email over every change in your account, the one you received was because you changed the pw (probably with the "forgot password" feature?)
Humble Bundle never sees your password; Paypal just logged you out after a while, that just happened to be within two purchases today, which made it seem weird.

To be safe check your paypal account history for recent purchases. Also, if you're using the old pw anywhere else, change it.

edit: you prob mistyped your old pw somehow (upper/lower case or numlock are frequent offenders)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

lmao so he's at least partially self-aware.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Morter posted:

I feel like it's mildly relevant because it involves both Steam and Humble Bundle.

I just had an odd password scare with PayPal, wherein sometime last week I bought the humble bundle, with the same paypal password I always use.

Just some hours ago, I bought Postal 2 (I know you guys told me not to, I couldn't help it :smith:), and I had no problem automagically purchasing it without it needing my password.

When I go to buy the humble mobile bundle for today, my password doesn't work. Even when I go to paypal.com on my own and try my password, it failed. I got a little scared but successfully changed it, but only then did it notify me, via email, that I had changed my password, although there was no reason my older password shouldn't have been working--it must have been changed.

Yes! This more or less happened to me! Weird as hell. I checked my transaction history and it was fine. Obviously I did change my password and I never reuse passwords because I'm not an idiot.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

revdrkevind posted:

Xbone controller: Unless I missed something the Bone only works in wired mode, might as well just get a 360 controller. If you want wireless, only 360 controller with dongle works anyway. As far as I know game support should be identical.

Steam con: As of last I saw they've violated the core design principles so at this point it's just a 360 controller anyway.

Tldr: Just get a 360 controller.

Most everything just thinks it's an Xbox 360 controller except Burnout Paradise which listed it as an Xbox One controller. Had to rebind everything in the game but then I was good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got LUFTRAUSERS in the latest Humble Bundle. I was really enjoying it, and then finally killed a blimp and unlocked SFMT mode.

I don't think I can really RAUS hard enough for this poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I played Quake Live on steam for the first time today, and it's pretty fun. I don't know if I'll keep playing it unless they add taunts and hats.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dr Suntory posted:

You're probably being paranoid. Paypal sends you an email over every change in your account, the one you received was because you changed the pw (probably with the "forgot password" feature?)
Humble Bundle never sees your password; Paypal just logged you out after a while, that just happened to be within two purchases today, which made it seem weird.

To be safe check your paypal account history for recent purchases. Also, if you're using the old pw anywhere else, change it.

edit: you prob mistyped your old pw somehow (upper/lower case or numlock are frequent offenders)

Not to argue, but I had made sure it wasn't just the humble bundle site--I opened the paypal site and tried my (old) password, which I had used last week without an issue. It was a relatively simple one, too. I've had email hacks a few times. The first thing I think when an easy-for-me-to-remember password inexplicably stops working is that it's been hacked.

Luckily, no recent transactions or anything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know this has already been answered, but is Disciples 3 Gold, in the humble bundle, the unfucked one?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You don't have to.
You don't have to buy the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jordan7hm posted:

Unarmed is awesome. I believe I ran an unarmed minotaur with the skull collecting trait and he just wrecked poo poo.

Turns out this will be every character in my party.

• Locked thread