Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Okita posted:

Re: the SK thing, it sucks for the other 4 guys. In real sports there's this concept of depth where you talk about the quality of your substitute players. I realize competitive LoL is a pretty new thing and the amount of money involved is chump change in comparison to major sports, but maybe it's getting to the point where teams should start thinking about the quality of their substitutes.

Yes exactly. Also players need to realize it's about more than just them and when they screw up this badly they are not just screwing themselves over and but also their team mates and organization. If they don't or can't then maybe they shouldn't have contracts anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Ihki posted:

I'm not pissed about collective punishment, there's no real way to avoid that. I'm pissed of its severity removing the entire team from competition for the grand final of their year. They've already lost before their games even begin, I guess if that feels like the appropriate punishment then v0v.

I'm going to look so loving foolish once Gilius carries SK to a 3-0 start :unsmith:

His last warning is two months old. After seeing what happened to Incarnation/Nukeduck/Mithy maybe SK should've told him to not continue being a racist shitstain.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Ihki posted:

Exactly, one out of five. The entire team is all but disqualified except for how they still have to sit down and play. Even a one game suspension would be a debilitating penalty. I can't fathom this under the circumstances of group play beginning the day following the announcement. For the song and dance about competitive integrity (where I'll admit Riot has many successes beside their failures), this makes the actual competitive part look foolish.

A one game suspension wouldn't be fair to the teams in the pool that didn't get to face a weakened SK. I feel like he got off easy with only 3 games, not the entire tourney.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ihki posted:

Exactly, one out of five. The entire team is all but disqualified except for how they still have to sit down and play. Even a one game suspension would be a debilitating penalty. I can't fathom this under the circumstances of group play beginning the day following the announcement. For the song and dance about competitive integrity (where I'll admit Riot has many successes beside their failures), this makes the actual competitive part look foolish.
The thing about being a team is you share in the bad poo poo as well as the good. You can't take advantage of his skill as a player and then wash your hands of him and cry about fairness when he gets himself punished for being a jackass.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

misguided rage posted:

The thing about being a team is you share in the bad poo poo as well as the good. You can't take advantage of his skill as a player and then wash your hands of him and cry about fairness when he gets himself punished for being a jackass.

Agreed, I don't think I ever implied they shouldn't be punished.

This spiraled to idiotic racist cards as soon as I said anything so I'll just stop here, thanks for trying, some of you. It's fun to imagine how this discussion would play out in the Dota 2 scene :xd:

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I think what he's pointing out is that this is incredibly unfair to nRated who will likely be denied his deserved world championship.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Did you really just call out "racist cards" when the guy named himself chingchong and mocked fans about it? You're off your rocker

And you did imply it by A. calling a very lenient penalty "harsh" and b. by comparing SK to a team that had actually done nothing wrong when they were "penalized"

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

The Mash posted:

b. by comparing SK to a team that had actually done nothing wrong when they were "penalized"

You seem to have this figured out so could you point out this part to me :confused:

Oh right, you're talking about someone else :cool:

Ihki fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 17, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ihki posted:

You seem to have this figured out so could you point out this part to me :confused:

The Mash has confused you with terrible poster Keven. Just. Keven I think.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Right, sorry, my bad. I take back my post and apologize. After the poo poo uauciat has spewed in these threads I see red quickly when people start racismapologizing. Mea culpa.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
All good, I've said worse things to better people.

For once it's worth being a eurogoon, I'll have time to watch the first two games in the morning before heading off to work :owned:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How's Svenskeren's rap sheet? If it's his first instance of racially offensive stuff, I would've just written it off as being too young and stupid to know how offensive it is and let him go.

Otherwise...I don't know, the "banned for a year" move seems to work best -- was there really a need to cripple the team going into the most important event of the year? I don't know, just about everything around the situation screams to me that he's a huge idiot who had no idea how offensive his nickname was because he's a sheltered 18 year old Danish nerd.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Wow this thread is fairly toxic....

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Let me, he he, tell you, about being a sports fan of a team, that has finally gotten into somewhat of a good playoff run where ~Anything Can Happen~ until a core player of your team inexplicably, for no reason, fucks up in the middle of that run and gets himself suspended, destroying that run.

I am still bitter over it but I'm not bitter at the punishment because hey, it shouldn't matter if it's your star player or some scrub on the bench, or if it's the regular season or during the highest stage of the competition, the punishment shouldn't changed.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

How's Svenskeren's rap sheet?

Riot posted:

Johnsen has also exhibited inappropriate behavior in the past, including being verbally abusive to his solo queue teammates on several occasions. He has received multiple formal warnings during the 2014 LCS season regarding his interactions with other players and fans - the most recent warning was issued in late July. Furthermore, Johnsen was aware of the importance of behaving respectfully while competing in this event. He and other Worlds competitors went through a cultural sensitivity briefing upon their arrival in Taiwan.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Heavy neutrino posted:

How's Svenskeren's rap sheet? If it's his first instance of racially offensive stuff, I would've just written it off as being too young and stupid to know how offensive it is and let him go.

Otherwise...I don't know, the "banned for a year" move seems to work best -- was there really a need to cripple the team going into the most important event of the year? I don't know, just about everything around the situation screams to me that he's a huge idiot who had no idea how offensive his nickname was because he's a sheltered 18 year old Danish nerd.

It's not his first time.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Remember when I said they need to rethink how they do relegations and y'all were like BUT NOOOOOO?

:smug:

http://na.lolesports.com/articles/challenger-series-update

quote:

To kick things off, we're considering implementing an auto-promotion process, whereby the team that wins the Challenger Series automatically qualifies for the LCS after each split. On the flip side, the team that places 10th at the end of each split would be auto-relegated into Challenger.

There’s a couple of reasons that we’re considering this idea. First, auto-promotion would make winning the Challenger Series more valuable and exciting and ensuring that we see new blood in the LCS. Second, it makes the bottom of LCS more competitive by adding weight to hovering around the bottom ranks of the LCS. This would mean that a team's fate is automatically determined rather than having a chance to fight for a spot like we have currently with the Promotion Tournament.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Okay well he got off easy. What the hell?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Remember when I said they need to rethink how they do relegations and y'all were like BUT NOOOOOO?

Eh, really not a fan of this. If the new blood wouldn't be capable of beating the 10th place LCS team, all this does is replace the worst team with an even worse team. Woo hoo.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wait the wording on this is strange, does this mean the last place lcs team doesn't even get a chance to be part of the Promotion Tournament to get right back into the lcs in the following split? If so oh boy.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Eh, really not a fan of this. If the new blood wouldn't be capable of beating the 10th place LCS team, all this does is replace the worst team with an even worse team. Woo hoo.

Well the good thing about this is that it actually rewards the challenger team who won.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Wait the wording on this is strange, does this mean the last place lcs team doesn't even get a chance to be part of the Promotion Tournament to get right back into the lcs in the following split? If so oh boy.

It means that next year once we have 10 teams, the last team in LCS and the winner of Champions series at the end of spring split with get auto switched. It shouldn't effect the upcoming promotion tourney.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

So does that mean the last team in the LCS has to play through the promotion tourney and might be able to rejoin, and the first team in the Champion series only has to win the BO5 instead of playing through the tournament?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It means that next year once we have 10 teams, the last team in LCS and the winner of Champions series at the end of spring split with get auto switched. It shouldn't effect the upcoming promotion tourney.
What's the point of 'putting them in the LCS' if they still have to play in the tourney? If anything I could see this replacing the relegation tournament entirely.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 18, 2014

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

misguided rage posted:

What's the point of 'putting them in the LCS' if they still have to play in the tourney? If anything I could see this replacing the relegation tournament entirely.

Uh, I think some wires got crossed here? BI NOW, GAY LATER is talking about the one-time "promotion tourney" that is upcoming to make the transition from 8 teams to 10, I think? Which is only going to happen once.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

That single time expansion tournament is happening before the next LCS/challenger split, so the autopromotion certainly couldn't apply. I think we're all talking about the relegation playoffs. If not then nevermind!

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They'll probably change the rules ten more times before relegations because they don't know what the gently caress they wanna do without going Google campus and completely supporting the teams.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

They'll probably change the rules ten more times before relegations because they don't know what the gently caress they wanna do without going Google campus and completely supporting the teams.

Maybe they should offer some kind of freshman dorms for incoming teams.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ilifinicus posted:

Oh my god now NAMEI IS SICK? There's some serious wizardry going on at this worlds

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2go5r2/edg_namei_may_have_been_taken_to_the_hospital/
I said it earlier today but its worth repeating since TSM is likely going to draw against EDG. Regi literally owns a death note.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Flameingblack posted:

I said it earlier today but its worth repeating since TSM is likely going to draw against EDG. Regi literally owns a death note.

At this point I'm pretty sure Regi just decided to take one for the team and halve his lifespan to give them a chance at the finals. Seriously, the set of coincidences all falling in favor of TSM has been uncanny.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Flameingblack posted:

Y'all realize TPA literally stands for "Taipei ASSASSINS" right?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Everyone has known Svenskeren is a racist, toxic shithead for a long time. The rest of his team and organisation are not innocent bystanders in this, when one of your players goes and breaks the racism rules on the eve of the world championships it's not unfair that your team suffers.

I think this is a good move from Riot, it's going to be much better for everyone if the teams themselves start shouldering more responsibility in terms of having professional players be good role models for the rest of the player base.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Even the worst LCS team has some inherent advantages over a team coming from the challenger scene - a season's worth of live experience against the top teams in the region and LCS exposure which almost certainly makes it easier to attract sponsorship and good staff.

This is how it works in basically every European soccer league and promoted teams can be much more competitive the year after because they get more money and are able to attract better talent to their team. Automatic promotion is about giving up-and-comers at least one season where they have a real chance at competing. If they really can't hack it they'll be out automatically the next year.

Also lets be honest, if you're at the very bottom of a 10 team NALCS it's probably time someone else had a shot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be fair you wanted all the teams to be automatically relegated :colbert: And I think the only reason they are even doing this is because of the move to 10 teams. I think with 10 teams its fair to relegate the 10th worst team in LCS automatically.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Jerkface posted:

To be fair you wanted all the teams to be automatically relegated :colbert: And I think the only reason they are even doing this is because of the move to 10 teams. I think with 10 teams its fair to relegate the 10th worst team in LCS automatically.

If they used the same rule this last split in NA Complexity would drop and Team 8 would be in (so no different). EU would have UoL joining and CW dropping out.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
EU would have had CW dropping out and H2K auto joining because they finished first in challenger series

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
H2K won the EU Challenger Series, not UoL.

Honestly, considering how thin the talent is in both regions right now with only 8 teams, finishing in 9th or higher is not exactly a big ask. Auto-relegating whoever's 10th isn't a big deal at all in my mind.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Allyn posted:

H2K won the EU Challenger Series, not UoL.

Honestly, considering how thin the talent is in both regions right now with only 8 teams, finishing in 9th or higher is not exactly a big ask. Auto-relegating whoever's 10th isn't a big deal at all in my mind.

a big part of why our teams are bad is because theres not enough "not quite lcs" and "lcs" interaction, so you basically have to bridge the gap within a split.

competition breeds competition, and when you're top dog at your arcade, but never fight nationally, you dont necessarily fulfill your full talents.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

a big part of why our teams are bad is because theres not enough "not quite lcs" and "lcs" interaction, so you basically have to bridge the gap within a split.

competition breeds competition, and when you're top dog at your arcade, but never fight nationally, you dont necessarily fulfill your full talents.

It'd be cool if Riot started regional cup competitions with less strict entry requirements. There's nothing quite like some second/third/fourth tier team making a run through the cup.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

M. Night Skymall posted:

I watched Hafu play with Behkuh last night and it was some depressing poo poo :v:. She used to be good, but there're definitely much better girls in the US LoL scene who just don't stream because they don't want to deal with the abuse. Otoh, I think Behkuh, Hafu, and someone else that I think is also a LoL streamer are moving in together maybe they'll do something. Hafu gets way more viewers/money out of Hearthstone though so it's probably a tough sell.

She's been playing a shitload of Smite lately and its really hurting her viewer count (I saw her at like 500 the other day). But she's giving out literally hundreds of skin codes so I suspect she's being paid to play it. I dunno if she'd be interested in going pro though, seems pretty happy about the current situation and she's at least said on several occasions she'll never do an all girls team because its a gimmick (Remember the drama about team Siren?) That said I can't wait for the inevitable drama blowout from three streamers living together.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Sounds like Xpecial gave Cop the kiss of death.

Xpecial: I like Cop. I think he's awesome. He's super funny. I think he's a cool person.
Cop: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I think it will actually encourage money and resources to be allocated to challenger teams. At the very least the reward for doing so with be one LCS season. In the years past you got in or the whole enterprise was a failure and an enormous waste of money. This year it's somewhat better as challenger teams get some amount of money from competing in the tournament. If they don't get in though it's still got to be pretty damning financially to keep a group of players together and competing. This way the best challenger team will hit a guarantee jackpot of sorts. There's still a large experience gap between the LCS teams and challenger but atleast both of them might end up with coaches and analysts.

• Locked thread