Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, I'm sorry, I actually don't mind Eph - having emotions, caring about people, and being stupid is a-ok with me - but they lost me with this episode. This is simply not convincing as an apocalypse, and if they had no budget for it they should have figured out some other way to pull this off. As someone else said, it's surreal.

Also,

IRQ posted:

Seriously how do you tease Vampire Spetznaz and then go what is it now 4 episodes without showing them again, even just to string us along? Come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, I actually don't mind Eph - having emotions, caring about people, and being stupid is a-ok with me - but they lost me with this episode. This is simply not convincing as an apocalypse, and if they had no budget for it they should have figured out some other way to pull this off. As someone else said, it's surreal.

If this bugged you, I got bad news. They're keeping with the source material. Season 2 is only going to be sillier unless they dramatically change course.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Watching this show being from Toronto is great. This was the best one yet for outdoor scenes. They'll often jump across large portions of the city with camera cuts as people go around corners.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

If that's the case then why is the master even hiding? He should just let them come to him. :psyduck:

I'm choosing to infer that he doesn't give a poo poo about hiding from Eph and the mule-kicked gang but is a little nervous about vampire spetznaz finding him when they're done murdering teenagers that have papercuts.

Or I'm giving the show too much credit, your choice.

Modus Operandi posted:

They didn't even have to blow their budget by constantly showing a city under siege.

I suspect this is less about budget and more about them wanting to push the impression that the invasion was planned to be as stealthy as possible. It's just that they've pushed it way past the point of believability by now. We're still hearing stuff like news reports in the background where the anchor is describing a "the latest in a string of grisly murders."

How about the fact that public order is now so bad that you can lay a multi-hour siege to a gas station and blow it up without hearing a siren? Or how about the fact that a significant percentage of the city is now "missing" or severely ill? Or the fact that we would expect many of the now tens to hundreds of thousands infected to turn in public places, like crowded hospitals?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There isn't much point in questioning anything on the show. It's just so full of things that defy all logic that it's better to just watch it for a laugh.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

There isn't much point in questioning anything on the show. It's just so full of things that defy all logic that it's better to just watch it for a laugh.

I laughed (well, snickered) when Nora and Eph hugged each other after Eph's bitch-fit upon discovering his ex's probable vampirism. Also, when Eph started crying in the basement where he found mother and son vamps, and then his ex's necklace. Also, Eph's hairpiece in his ex's car.

Mainly every scene Eph is in, I laugh a little. I don't know why he is the protagonist at all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's to allow the viewer to feel better about themselves. It serves a similar purpose as insert fiction, but the viewer feels better about themselves once the show is done, rather than feeling depressed that they are no longer the hero of a TV fantasy show.

Except, as a side effect of this show, the viewer just feels a lingering remorse about having watched such a lovely show in the first place.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's to allow the viewer to feel better about themselves. It serves a similar purpose as insert fiction, but the viewer feels better about themselves once the show is done, rather than feeling depressed that they are no longer the hero of a TV fantasy show.

Except, as a side effect of this show, the viewer just feels a lingering remorse about having watched such a lovely show in the first place.

I just can't make myself not watch, even though the episodes are inconsistent.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

life is killing me posted:

I just can't make myself not watch, even though the episodes are inconsistent.

Inconsistent like how Josef Stalin was just a bit grumpy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Inconsistent like how Josef Stalin was just a bit grumpy.

Well I keep having this hope that the next episodes will have more tongue blood drinking poo poo fests and also that Eph will die horribly in a fashion unrelated to vampires, like he falls off a cliff and breaks both his legs and starves to death or gets eaten by a bear, but that probably won't happen.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Yeah sorry guys but we're gonna be hearing about Eph, Kelly, and Zack through book 3. Congrats!

And Kevin Durand is pretty goofy looking and like seven feet tall but then

:stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That goatee isn't doing him any favors.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Is Eph supposed to be this big of an rear end in a top hat in the book or is it just the script/actor portraying him? He's like anti-charisma on screen. Everything he does and says makes me wish death upon him.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

He's just as annoying in the books. But not in a, I dunno, Mary Sue-ish idealistic kind of way? Like, it's made pretty clear that he's annoying and that Fet is the dude we should be pinning our hopes on to save the day.

I haven't seen Stoll in anything else and didn't know who he was until I saw this show, but I've heard good things about him in House of Cards and other things, so I'm guessing Eph's awfulness on screen is just a mix of a poorly written character in the books/show, awful dialogue, and possibly Corey Stoll hating himself a little every time Eph his character has to speak.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's great in Real Steel, him and Anthony Mackie.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Kevin Durand is hot as hell, you guys calling him goofy looking are the real weirdos

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I enjoyed Corey Stoll in HoC but goddamn this show is hellbent on making me hate the actor just based on how irritating his character is. Everyone except Kevin Durand are all uniformly awful. That woman doctor, hacker and kid actors are the worst I've seen on TV in a long time. How did they even manage that?

I tolerated seasons of The Following, SoA and Blacklist but at least those were stupidly entertaining, this show is just so so bad.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Noirex posted:

I enjoyed Corey Stoll in HoC but goddamn this show is hellbent on making me hate the actor just based on how irritating his character is. Everyone except Kevin Durand are all uniformly awful. That woman doctor, hacker and kid actors are the worst I've seen on TV in a long time. How did they even manage that?

I tolerated seasons of The Following, SoA and Blacklist but at least those were stupidly entertaining, this show is just so so bad.

Hey, I love SoA :colbert:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I did too, until....Ireland :negative:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Noirex posted:

Oh you mean when Jax fucks his hot Irish sister? Or almost does, I forget

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Noirex posted:

The old guy isn't that bad. He's corny but likable. Every other character, Goddamn...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
They showed the kid getting drained but wussed out putting a bullet in his head on camera. Weak.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
At this point i'm just gonna watch the From Dusk Til Dawn tv show for vampire stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grin and Tonic posted:

At this point i'm just gonna watch the From Dusk Til Dawn tv show for vampire stuff.

Good lord, that's like not hanging yourself so you can drown in your bathtub.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

Kevin Durand is hot as hell, you guys calling him goofy looking are the real weirdos

One can be hot AND kind of goofy looking! I dig Stoll too. Minus the wig.

As far as wussing out on showing the kids death, that's still pretty taboo so I'm not entirely surprised. On TWD, did they show the actual shot in the first episode with the little girl? I don't remember. Not super important book spoiler but just in case: The Master makes like 30 school-age vampires (who were blinded by the eclipse and thus their other senses become much stronger) in book 2 or 3 and the team kills a bunch of those, so, there's that. Still, I don't think this is gonna be the show to try and push boundaries.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whispering Machines posted:

Still, I don't think this is gonna be the show to try and push boundaries.

it's pushing the boundaries of viewer patience and poor storytelling.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uh, it's no Under the Dome and that is one of the highest watched shows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This show can't even be the best at being poo poo. It's just that terrible.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Thankfully the ratings have tanked down to 1.4 levels recently as people are finally catching on to the fact that the writers are clearly just making poo poo up as they go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well it was already renewed for season 3, so..

I don't think it's the making poo poo up that's the problem, it's the loving moronic characters and the stupid poo poo that makes no goddamn sense.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think Ephraim being a bad TV character is just the showrunners trying to stick to the books too faithfully. He is really annoying and terrible in the books, and its clear authorial intent that you are supposed to dislike him more as the story grows. Problem is the show has sorta centered on him too much (due to his wife/kids being side characters) whereas in the books Vasily and Setrakian get much more time and exposure as the protagonists.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

^This. I'm fine with it that they didn't want a super perfect flawless protagonist, but they went too far in the troubled rear end in a top hat antihero direction and ended up with Eph. Fet is much more even-tempered and likeable and doesn't have crazy mood swings.

Drifter posted:

it's pushing the boundaries of viewer patience and poor storytelling.

I just want my vampire SWAT team to come back and start murdering vampires :(

Daedo
May 5, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Well it was already renewed for season 3, so..

I don't think it's the making poo poo up that's the problem, it's the loving moronic characters and the stupid poo poo that makes no goddamn sense.

Got a source for that renewal? I can't find anything about it. My hope is that the show is cancelled and ends on the biggest, dumbest cliffhanger ever.

On Topic: I'm still enjoying the show, but things need to start escalating again and quickly because it's silly how things still seem so normal. After the Vamp SWAT team and then the pretty good gas station episode, which seemed to heavily imply things had gone to poo poo, having NOTHING happen again is really dragging the show down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Daedo posted:

Got a source for that renewal? I can't find anything about it. My hope is that the show is cancelled and ends on the biggest, dumbest cliffhanger ever.

No, you're right. It hasn't been renewed yet. I hope the cliffhanger is on the level of Persons Unknown.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GreenNight posted:

In the last episode there was a straight up dickbutt allusion. This is the only good thing about this show now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Noirex posted:

That's exactly where I stopped as well. Ugh.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreenNight posted:

No, you're right. It hasn't been renewed yet. I hope the cliffhanger is on the level of Persons Unknown.

I have a friend with some inside production knowledge and apparently they're already working on S2 stuff, so renewal will probably be announced soon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I have a friend with some inside production knowledge and apparently they're already working on S2 stuff, so renewal will probably be announced soon.

I was referring to Under the Dome, so do you mean season 3?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreenNight posted:

I was referring to Under the Dome, so do you mean season 3?

Nah, Strain S2, I read your post/quote wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ah okay, yeah I figured this was more of a sure thing pickup.

• Locked thread