Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kurtofan posted:

I thought Hot Fuzz was better.

I watched it after Shaun of the dead.

I watched Shaun of the Dead first, but I had no particular desire to watch it more than once.
On the other hand, Hot Fuzz totally stands up to repeat views.

They're both worlds better than The World's End though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrAristocrates posted:

The World's End is the best movie in that trilogy. It's just the least funny.

E: I mean, yeah, Hot Fuzz is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, but the thematic work done in TWE is just phenomenal.

Yeah, I can agree to that. The World's End took me a second viewing to appreciate, but it really is the least funny.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

Yeah, what the hell, why did SyFy pass on High Moon anyway? That was amazing.

They said the plot was "too complicated" and that it would be too expensive to produce. The second reason I understand, the first is just Syfy looking down on its viewers. Then again, it's not like they're wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just checked out High Moon and you guys are giving it too much credit. It makes Sharknado look like a loving documentary.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love all three of those movies. Here's my thing: Shaun of the Dead is the most consistent, Hot Fuzz is the most rewatchable, and The World's End is the most emotionally fulfilling. So if I want a film that never bores me at any moment I watch Shaun, if I want to laugh like a maniac, I watch Fuzz, and if I want to cry I watch World.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Bridge continues being amazing and gets absolutely no fanfare. It's definitely the best unwatched show on television.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Bridge continues being amazing and gets absolutely no fanfare. It's definitely the best unwatched show on television.

This.

Diane Kruger has been really good this season, as have Demián Bichir and Matthew Lillard. And Franka Potente is a convincing psychopath. The Bridge and Ray Donovan get hardly any love on this subforum.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Is the second season of The Bridge much, much better than the first one? I watched the first season (US version) and it did not inspire to come back for more.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll have to check out S2 of the Bridge then, I lost interest after the direction S1 went in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I also mentioned this in the relevant thread but Vimeo is saying that they're going to finally untangle the rights issues to MST3K and officially put out the previously unreleased episodes. Shout Factory had previously been doing this with the DVD releases and from what they've said this isn't an easy task. Apparently there are quite a few episodes where they don't even know who to contact about the movie rights.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Manos del Sino posted:

Is the second season of The Bridge much, much better than the first one? I watched the first season (US version) and it did not inspire to come back for more.

A whole hell of a lot better. It focuses much more on Mexican police corruption with regards to Fausto Galvan's cartel, and there are a lot of interesting plot developments and deaths.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I'll have to check out S2 of the Bridge then, I lost interest after the direction S1 went in.

Same, I felt like it was a purely "OK" show and during many episodes my eyes just glazed over. Seemed like it had potential though, and if S2 really is improving I'll check it out.

Gonz posted:

A whole hell of a lot better. It focuses much more on Mexican police corruption with regards to Fausto Galvan's cartel, and there are a lot of interesting plot developments and deaths.

Yeah see this sounds good. Thanks for the heads up.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Metropolis posted:

Rectify's pacing is like watching snails dry.
I actually think there's an argument for and against that. In the second season they basically go, "Boy, that was some week!" or whatever it was and you really feel how much poo poo happened compared to that time-frame. Honestly it kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad in how often, when that was airing, I'd hear the complaint that "nothing ever happens".

World End's one of those films I appreciated the more I read about it and realized how much I just didn't catch.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

I just checked out High Moon and you guys are giving it too much credit. It makes Sharknado look like a loving documentary.

No. I will not tolerate your genuine idiocy any longer. Get the gently caress out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Am I correct in thinking the second season of The Bridge is not based on the Scandi version's season 2 in any way?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Mindy Project is actually not terrible so far this year. I didn't have to hear that godawful theme song, there was an entire scene about cunnilingus, and the 9PM EST Fox block has turned into a stealth Happy Endings reunion now that Damon Wayans Jr. and Adam Pally are in back-to-back shows. Little things.

Also, the previews for Red Band Society mixed with previews for Fault in Our Stars makes me think that every episode will end with me crying and hugging a blanket. I'll pass for now.

Please don't let the premiere be a fluke. I really want to like Mindy Project at this point. Kaling and Messina have a surprising amount of chemistry, and the side cast have settled into a nice comedic groove (props to Adam Pally who really gave a much needed breath of fresh air in Season 2) aside from Jeremy who I want to punch every time he shows up, and the episode acknowledged that by actually punching him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The end of S1 was so ehhhhhh that I didn't bother with 2. Does it get better/less dumb?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love that Darrell Hammond is replacing Don Pardo.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Guys, my episode of Millionaire is tomorrow.

For those of you who will be watching: I am so, so sorry for what you're about to put yourselves through.

That was probably the gooniest thing I've ever seen. At least you didn't wear a fedora. :shobon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So how much did he win?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So how much did he win?

He's up to something like 63k and back for today's episode.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Aubrey Plaza is voicing Grumpy Cat in a Lifetime Christmas movie.

Soon, she will be building her entire career off of internet memes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I don't think I've ever seen Aubrey Plaza not play a variation of her character on P&R, so I assume that's all she is, just maybe occasionally more fun to be around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They created the April character for her

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sober posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Aubrey Plaza not play a variation of her character on P&R, so I assume that's all she is, just maybe occasionally more fun to be around.

Hey, if you're one-note, might as well make what you can out of it before everyone gets tired of your schtick.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sober posted:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well I can see why she doesn't like smiling or looking happy most of the time.

Also Mysteries of Laura was not as crappy as everyone says it was. Well, it was still kinda crappy at parts but not overly offensive to anyone's tastes. It's just a slightly more goofier, less focused version of Castle pretty much. It's maybe if like B99 had to take itself more seriously because it was an hour long dramedy and not a sitcom. The absurd parts are still there, just dialed down and occasionally has to dip into the melodrama for a bit. I didn't really feel the tonal whiplash at all like most people were expecting.

I could be wrong though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok, You're The Worst owns.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I want to watch The Bridge but I spent my teenage years + early 20's in El Paso and am afraid all the things they get wrong will drive me crazy.

(I'll probably watch it someday.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

Please don't let the premiere be a fluke. I really want to like Mindy Project at this point. Kaling and Messina have a surprising amount of chemistry, and the side cast have settled into a nice comedic groove

Yeah, Messina is great. He's like a funny version of Nick from New Girl.

I thought the premiere was good overall, but I did have an issue with how they whitewashed Messina's character. He's an incredible dude, but his awesomeness is usually offset by curmudgeonly behavior. So when his 'big flaw' this episode turned out to be that he's even more incredible than we originally thought, it just makes Mindy look like a big piece of poo poo by comparison. Now, let's be honest here for a second: there is no conceivable reality in which Chris Messina and Mindy Kaling are in a relationship together*. To have any credibility, there needs to be some kind of parity between the two. Mindy is Mindy, and Messina is an anti-social grump. That's parity. In the premiere, Mindy was Mindy (and, in many respects, worse than usual), and Messina was an honest and supporting boyfriend who stripped to pay off his mother's mortgage. That's not parity. That's when people start wondering why that amazing guy is with that awful woman.

*I know its a romcom genre trope for the boring, frumpy chick to wind up with the amazing guy. In most romcoms, though, the boring, frumpy chick is usually bland enough to get away with it. Mindy is anything but bland.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I mean this in the nicest way to VagueRant, but if you have this view of 'everything needs tightening' then you're never going to enjoy anything and people should probably stop with the recommendations because he's always going to get to a point where an episode wasn't as good as the one before it and bail. There's been a fuckload of titles suggested and it's always "Well I like this, but...". I totally get it, I've stopped watching shows because they weren't doing it for me, but not to that level.

Breaking Bad certainly doesn't need tightening, because once you start cutting out things you take away from the whole picture. Everything in that show speaks to the larger themes, or to the characters themselves. Even the plot loses momentum once you cut pieces out because so much of it relies on how characters react and adapt to events. Breaking Bad certainly isn't alone in that, but it's one that was mentioned specifically.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 18, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Annakie posted:

I want to watch The Bridge but I spent my teenage years + early 20's in El Paso and am afraid all the things they get wrong will drive me crazy.

(I'll probably watch it someday.)

You should. Season 1 is fine. It's a cop show that has some character, but Season 2 has been fantastic and wider ranging than that. I love it when shows broaden their horizons and become more than something they started as.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone here watch this?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_Lines

It's another of those weird international series they make these days (Taxi Brooklyn comes to mind)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kurtofan posted:

It's another of those weird international series they make these days (Taxi Brooklyn comes to mind)

Well at least that has William Fichtner in it. That's gotta be watchable at the very least.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Deadpool posted:

Well at least that has William Ficthner in it. That's gotta be watchable at the very least.

It's a bit weird seeing him in the same room as French singer-actor Marc Lavoine.

I can't help but think "why does this exist".

Edit: It's mostly for Europe, apparently NBC isn't airing the second season.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 18, 2014

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Kurtofan posted:

I watched the first season when it aired on NBC. It's pretty good, and at the very least an interesting spin on the police procedural formula. I would definitely watch a second season if they're making (already made?) one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
EDIT: I disagree with Shake Zula, the Mic Rula

Deadpool posted:

Well at least that has William Fichtner in it. That's gotta be watchable at the very least.
Unfortunately it is not. Well William is whenever he's on screen, but it's deadly dull and boring otherwise.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ShakeZula posted:

I watched the first season when it aired on NBC. It's pretty good, and at the very least an interesting spin on the police procedural formula. I would definitely watch a second season if they're making (already made?) one.

I think that's what I'm watching right now (on TF1), but NBC isn't going to air it and apparently no one else in North America seems interested :v:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Kurtofan posted:

I think that's what I'm watching right now (on TF1), but NBC isn't going to air it and apparently no one else in North America seems interested :v:

Yeah, I figured that would happen. Maybe I'll wait for it to hit Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cardboard Box A posted:

EDIT: I disagree with Shake Zula, the Mic Rula

Unfortunately it is not. Well William is whenever he's on screen, but it's deadly dull and boring otherwise.

It kind of reminds me of a French procedural, but with people speaking in English.

• Locked thread