Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Man I would play the gently caress out of a game that takes place in fantasy Great Zimbabwe.

For a moment I was like wait yes a toto-themed game would be amazing.

I was hummin along, but then it got all geographical :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

Have you tried Heroine's Quest? It's free. http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

There's also Quest for Infamy (not free).

http://www.infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

Heroine's Quest is probably the better of the two, as far as I've heard. Still haven't finished it though, due to OCD about missing points.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Heroine's Quest is probably the better of the two, as far as I've heard. Still haven't finished it though, due to OCD about missing points.

Heroine's quest is an amazing tribute to the QFG games; highly recommended if you like them.

Haven't heard good things about Quest for Infamy, but haven't tried it myself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Speaking of Darklands, are there any necessary mods or patches needed for the GOG version?

I still have a much older copy so can't say. There were a number of patches but this fansite still has links to them all up if the GOG version doesn't include them.

The main thing to be aware of (and even a lot of dedicated fans of the game don't know this) is that the patched game still has a bug where fire-resistance effects permanently boost all armor; i.e., drink a potion of fire resistance, even after it visually expires, that character will have permanent base armor improvement. Makes the endgame almost too easy, and not exploiting it makes other parts of the game a lot harder =(

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Dav posted:

Heroine's quest is an amazing tribute to the QFG games; highly recommended if you like them.

Haven't heard good things about Quest for Infamy, but haven't tried it myself.

Heroines Quest is amazing, there is no reason not to play it.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Arkeus posted:

...Why? DaggerFall and Arena fits into a type of game better than Skyrim arguably does, after all.

Now, is it crazy in the sense of "it's not the accepted consensus where we are not allowed to enjoy games that aren't both famous and have gaming-site-approved graphics", then sure.

But that's more of a "Crazy because there is a vested interest in making people buy new games" than an objective statement of quality.

No, because the gameplay is terrible, navigating endless spaghetti dungeons is a pain, and it's missing a billion other quality of life improvements that weren't even on the radar in 1996.

There's a lot to do, but that's really all it has going for it. The mechanical systems behind how you do things is uniformly unfun. I can't say your opinion is wrong since you're entitled to it, but if you take an average person and let them play both Skyrim will be prefered 99.9% of the time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

Convince Feargus that people will buy/play it and I'll make it. I've been wanting to make a Darklands/Ars Magica style game for a long, long time.

Do it in the Fading Suns universe and I'll sell my house and go live in a box to help pay for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MegaGatts posted:

No, because the gameplay is terrible, navigating endless spaghetti dungeons is a pain, and it's missing a billion other quality of life improvements that weren't even on the radar in 1996.

There's a lot to do, but that's really all it has going for it. The mechanical systems behind how you do things is uniformly unfun. I can't say your opinion is wrong since you're entitled to it, but if you take an average person and let them play both Skyrim will be prefered 99.9% of the time.

Arg, I typed up a big message then x'd out of the window and lost it. What I was going to say is that almost all the classics we're talking about have a huge problem: few players actually finish them. Partly it's the nature of sandbox games, partly it's that people are playing to build characters and once their character is "done" so are they, partly it's that generally building a "complete" character trivializes the game's challenges.

The Elder Scroll games all have all of these problems together -- the writing is at best "good for a video game," they're huge sprawling open worlds with relatively weak main plotlines, you can get a "finished" character while only completing a fraction of the total content, and once you do "finish" your character, the rest of the game's content becomes trivial and hence boring (a problem that level scaling does not solve). It's not just those though; the same issue comes up to a lesser extent in Avernum, in Divinity: Original Sin, even in classics like, I have to admit it, Darklands -- most people don't bother to finish.

A few games (Planescape:Torment, Deus Ex) get past that hurdle by just having objectively amazing writing, coupled with good game balance throughout so you never feel like the game has become trivial (of course, neither of those is really "sandbox.") A few (the Gold Box / Infinity Engine games) generally just don't let you actually "finish" your character -- i.e., in Pool of Radiance, you might max out your party at like level 8 or so, out of AD&D's twenty levels (the idea being you'd carry your party over to the sequel). PS:Torment also put a lot of character-building decisions in the end sequence, so if you wanted to get the "best" character you had to finish that thing out.

The more I think about this issue the stranger it is to me. Why are so many classic games usually left unfinished? How many people never bother to finish their favorite book?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arg, I typed up a big message then x'd out of the window and lost it. What I was going to say is that almost all the classics we're talking about have a huge problem: few players actually finish them. Partly it's the nature of sandbox games, partly it's that people are playing to build characters and once their character is "done" so are they, partly it's that generally building a "complete" character trivializes the game's challenges.

The Elder Scroll games all have all of these problems together -- the writing is at best "good for a video game," they're huge sprawling open worlds with relatively weak main plotlines, you can get a "finished" character while only completing a fraction of the total content, and once you do "finish" your character, the rest of the game's content becomes trivial and hence boring (a problem that level scaling does not solve). It's not just those though; the same issue comes up to a lesser extent in Avernum, in Divinity: Original Sin, even in classics like, I have to admit it, Darklands -- most people don't bother to finish.

A few games (Planescape:Torment, Deus Ex) get past that hurdle by just having objectively amazing writing, coupled with good game balance throughout so you never feel like the game has become trivial (of course, neither of those is really "sandbox.") A few (the Gold Box / Infinity Engine games) generally just don't let you actually "finish" your character -- i.e., in Pool of Radiance, you might max out your party at like level 8 or so, out of AD&D's twenty levels (the idea being you'd carry your party over to the sequel). PS:Torment also put a lot of character-building decisions in the end sequence, so if you wanted to get the "best" character you had to finish that thing out.

The more I think about this issue the stranger it is to me. Why are so many classic games usually left unfinished? How many people never bother to finish their favorite book?

I think it's a problem with free form RPGs in general. Without a strong narrative hook there's no incentive to continue playing. Video games are a hard medium to get a hook going unless you abandon the strengths of a video game to set the plot in motion. This is how pretty much every RPG does it, either through cutscenes or scripted on rails content.

This isn't a problem with say action games because the enjoyment of playing something like Ninja Gaiden is actually playing Ninja Gaiden. In an RPG the joy is in creating a character, advancing the plot, interacting with NPCs, finding loot, leveling up, and if the game is good finally gameplay. In a lot of the classic RPGs the gameplay wasn't good even when all the other parts are, and since you spend most of a game actually playing it finishing it can be a chore. I think anyone who played Arcanum all the way through will agree the game was great... except when you were playing it.

In my opinion there are two problems. A lot of RPGs aren't fun to play and(with open world free form RPGs) telling a story without taking control away from the player is hard as hell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MegaGatts posted:

I think it's a problem with free form RPGs in general. Without a strong narrative hook there's no incentive to continue playing. Video games are a hard medium to get a hook going unless you abandon the strengths of a video game to set the plot in motion. This is how pretty much every RPG does it, either through cutscenes or scripted on rails content.

This isn't a problem with say action games because the enjoyment of playing something like Ninja Gaiden is actually playing Ninja Gaiden. In an RPG the joy is in creating a character, advancing the plot, interacting with NPCs, finding loot, leveling up, and if the game is good finally gameplay. In a lot of the classic RPGs the gameplay wasn't good even when all the other parts are, and since you spend most of a game actually playing it finishing it can be a chore. I think anyone who played Arcanum all the way through will agree the game was great... except when you were playing it.

In my opinion there are two problems. A lot of RPGs aren't fun to play and(with open world free form RPGs) telling a story without taking control away from the player is hard as hell.

Yeah, that's a lot of it. I remember the contrast between the two Dragon Age games really markedly. Origins had really fun tactical gameplay throughout so that every battle was an interesting challenge and it kept me playing the whole way through, coupled with pretty good writing that kept me interested. The second one, the plot had me for the first half, refugee, poverty, new life in a new city -- then I got a pimpin' house and personal wealth. Problem solved! At that point, as far as I was concerned, the game was finished. Never picked it up again.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
rope kid what is the minimum damage supposed to be?

I've seen slashing weapons doing 1 damage minimum, but piercing and crushing seem to do less minimum damage (like 0.6 or something)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Yeah, that's a lot of it. I remember the contrast between the two Dragon Age games really markedly. Origins had really fun tactical gameplay throughout so that every battle was an interesting challenge and it kept me playing the whole way through, coupled with pretty good writing that kept me interested. The second one, the plot had me for the first half, refugee, poverty, new life in a new city -- then I got a pimpin' house and personal wealth. Problem solved! At that point, as far as I was concerned, the game was finished. Never picked it up again.

Only a moderator would dare opening that can of worm!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dragon Age 2 suffered from a multitude of problems, which is a shame because it had some genuinely interesting characters and the city was rather well done. One of my main beefs with Bioware games has always been the way they do DLC. I remember getting the pre-order bonus and thinking the magic shop in the city was weirdly disjointed from the main game, it was basically a tacked on map icon full of overpowered gear and it was never referenced anywhere.

I didn't stop playing it myself when I got past the first story point but it did mark the point where it became a chore, at this point the game would not introduce any new environments and combat would spawn ever more enemies. I did like the aesthetics of the combat though, it was flashy and cool and I didn't at all mind the more cinematic style.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Only a moderator would dare opening that can of worm!

Hahah, oh poo poo, I forgot that was A Thing :P Whoops! My bad!

I didn't get Steam until Skyrim came out, so all the big screaming matches were already long over by the time I got around to catching up on the Dragon Age series. Hell, I only played Avernum for the first time earlier this year.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 17, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

rope kid what is the minimum damage supposed to be?

I've seen slashing weapons doing 1 damage minimum, but piercing and crushing seem to do less minimum damage (like 0.6 or something)
Minimum damage should be equal to 10% of the incoming damage value. So if you did 52 Slashing, the minimum should be 5.2 Slashing. If you did 8 Piercing, the minimum should be 0.8 Piercing, etc.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
That's before DT and modifiers included? I'm pretty sure I've seen cases where they're doing less than that if that's the case. But I'd have to double check.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Incoming, before armor is applied.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

(:words: about people not finishing open-form RPGs)

Is this actually a problem, per se? I mean, if people play a game, play it to satiation, enjoy it, and then stop- does that have no value, if they don't check every box? This goes doubly for open-world, sandbox games- if there's no defined goal, then how do you define completion? 100%-ing every sidequest? That's an exercise for lunatics.

(Also: if I recall correctly, the vast majority of all games suffer from a high non-completion rate; it's by no means a phenomenon restricted to free-form RPGs.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is this actually a problem, per se? I mean, if people play a game, play it to satiation, enjoy it, and then stop- does that have no value, if they don't check every box? This goes doubly for open-world, sandbox games- if there's no defined goal, then how do you define completion? 100%-ing every sidequest? That's an exercise for lunatics.

(Also: if I recall correctly, the vast majority of all games suffer from a high non-completion rate; it's by no means a phenomenon restricted to free-form RPGs.)

Good question. I think it does at least to the extent that it demonstrates a flaw in the storytelling. I mean, I don't stop reading a book midway through unless it's *really* bad. With games that don't *have* stories or where the stories are minimal, it seems like less of an issue, but if the game is trying to tell a story and also not holding people's interest to the conclusion of the story, I think that's a problem.

Of course, most books don't require me to click thousands and thousands of skeletons over and over again for hours until I get arthritis flareups in my hands (lookin' at you, Diablo), either.

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008

It's easier to finish books than games.

1. They generally take less time. Even some of the ridiculously long fantasy epics that certain fantasy writers are fond of writing take about the same amount of time as a regular game to finish. For example, take a typical long fantasy epic like The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time Book 1). It's ~700 pages long. A typical reader takes about 1-1.5 hours to read 100 pages, so in this case it would take them 7-10.5 hours to read the book. Taking a quick look at howlongtobeat.com Baldur's Gate takes 42 hours to finish the main story, Baldur's Gate 2 takes 18, Icewind Dale 34 hours, Icewind Dale 2 47 hours, and Plancescape: Torment 37 hours.

2. Video Games have difficulty. The only way someone is unable to finish a book is if they get so bored/disgusted by it's contents they don't want to. With games, sometimes a player is just unable to get past a certain point because of it's difficulty. A certain fight/level might be too hard, a puzzle might be too difficult to solve, or there is a certain path they have to take that they just miss because they weren't on the same page as the developer.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
rope kid, how difficult would it be to add back the screen shake on a gib, maybe as a toggle? There some something so satisfying about hitting someone so hard they exploded and the entire world rocks back and forth. :3:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

rope kid posted:

Convince Feargus that people will buy/play it and I'll make it. I've been wanting to make a Darklands/Ars Magica style game for a long, long time.

:stare: This would be a Day 1 purchase for me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Look at Codespells for your Ars Magica/freeform magic stuff.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cthulhuite posted:

rope kid, how difficult would it be to add back the screen shake on a gib, maybe as a toggle? There some something so satisfying about hitting someone so hard they exploded and the entire world rocks back and forth. :3:
I think that's in now. Today we were doing a build review and all of the procedural blood/fire/electricity/acid/freeze hit effects are finally hooked up + gibs on a crit kill + the gibs have fire/electricity/acid/freeze particles if that's what killed them. Would you believe a rogue's arrow could cause a lion to explode into flying chunks of bloody lion meat? I've seen it with my own eyes.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

rope kid posted:

Would you believe a rogue's arrow could cause a lion to explode into flying chunks of bloody lion meat? I've seen it with my own eyes.

That sounds like one of my favorite GMs.

"Okay, so your monk caught the fleeing bandit by surprise. Prepared attack, ki strike, improved unarmed strike, on a called shot to the groin... *roll* Okay, you kick the bandit in the balls as hard as you can, annnd... *roll* his head explodes."

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.

rope kid posted:

I think that's in now. Today we were doing a build review and all of the procedural blood/fire/electricity/acid/freeze hit effects are finally hooked up + gibs on a crit kill + the gibs have fire/electricity/acid/freeze particles if that's what killed them. Would you believe a rogue's arrow could cause a lion to explode into flying chunks of bloody lion meat? I've seen it with my own eyes.

Beautiful.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
This is good news because Wasteland 2 releases tomorrow. I would get a mental freeze if I had to choose between a new build of PoE and WL2.

Adam Brennecke posted:

We still got a few bugs that we would like to fix internally before the next release (some make certain things unplayable). Our target was this Thursday, but now we are looking to push early next week if everything goes well tomorrow and Friday.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Have Obsidian released their GOG keys yet for Wasteland?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

Have Obsidian released their GOG keys yet for Wasteland?

I got mine already.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Earlier there was talk about tinkering with the attribute system a bit. I think ropekid said they were considering having perception affect the cast range of spells & abilities. What if it did the same for ranged attacks as well? Set the bonus & base ranges so that you get the "normal" screen lenght ranges with average perception. The effect doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't, IMO) be all that huge, but it'd be a nice feelsy solution to the problem some people have with there not being a separate attack atribute for ranged combat. A high perception character could do some cool/cheesy stuff by attacking outside of his own vision range if he's got a friendly unit working as a spotter, and could negate the drawbacks of medium range weapons (if there any, IE games had darts) in "standard" play.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Munin posted:

I got mine already.

Just tried generating and it just gave me a steam key which I didn't want.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

Just tried generating and it just gave me a steam key which I didn't want.

Oh, sorry misread that. I got a steam key.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

A lot of folks here have probably seen that, but here's a preview of the new Torment game (it's using Obsidian's tech):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd43NYBzHuk.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Munin posted:

Oh, sorry misread that. I got a steam key.

It's all good. Apparently I had another key from my original WL2 pledge that I could use. First world problems.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

verybad posted:

I think ropekid said they were considering having perception affect the cast range of spells & abilities. What if it did the same for ranged attacks as well?

I'm not really a fan of that one to be honest. With a lot of buffs you want the caster to be affected himself as well as his party, so long ranged buff casting wouldn't be very beneficial in that sense because you'd still have to go in closer to get everyone. And a lot of casters have auras. So naturally you wan't them to be fairly close in. I think this kinda stuff negates the usefulness of attribute-influenced range - not an avenue I'd consider going down tbh.

There is probably a way to balance Perception (minus Interrupt) against Might, I can think of a few but Matt hasn't been free to converse with me about them yet. One off the top of my head is increasing the value of Might (and Constitution) to 3% up from 2% and also raising Accuracy (and Deflection) to +2 per point (as well as IAS to 3%). Then they would be much closer in terms of raw efficacy. This would mean a bit of rebalancing though, and Shield and Item Deflection bonuses might need a tweak as well. That would also mean defenses could be calculated as (Att A + Att B) * 2, rather than 1.5. That is just one way, there are others.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 18, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

omeg posted:

A lot of folks here have probably seen that, but here's a preview of the new Torment game (it's using Obsidian's tech):

Looks nice.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
One idea I considered as a way to buff perception was to add in damage penetration. But I can't see how it could work well - it would be too powerful against armour unless the bonus was a fraction of one DT point. And something like 0.25 DT penetration seems sort of messy.

I also considered for a while maybe swapping the bonuses of Resolve and Int as proposed in the S&M manifesto so Int was Concentration + Deflection (Intellectually predicting attacks to avoid them, and concentrating seems intellectual as well), and Resolve was Duration + AoE (Determination driving abilities to last longer or spread wider). Yet that might encourage imbecilic mages, which would be no good.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Sensuki posted:

I'm not really a fan of that one to be honest. With a lot of buffs you want the caster to be affected himself as well as his party, so long ranged buff casting wouldn't be very beneficial in that sense because you'd still have to go in closer to get everyone. And a lot of casters have auras. So naturally you wan't them to be fairly close in. I think this kinda stuff negates the usefulness of attribute-influenced range - not an avenue I'd consider going down tbh.

There is probably a way to balance Perception (minus Interrupt) against Might, I can think of a few but Matt hasn't been free to converse with me about them yet. One off the top of my head is increasing the value of Might (and Constitution) to 3% up from 2% and also raising Accuracy (and Deflection) to +2 per point (as well as IAS to 3%). Then they would be much closer in terms of raw efficacy. This would mean a bit of rebalancing though, and Shield and Item Deflection bonuses might need a tweak as well. That would also mean defenses could be calculated as (Att A + Att B) * 2, rather than 1.5. That is just one way, there are others.

I like the range thing because because it changes the way different parties approach combat. Low perception party might be optimally played as a aura-buff stacking hugbox, while a high perception party is an artillery company with a spotter. Balancing just the numbers will make different stat arrays equally viable, but adds very little tactical depth.

If it's just special abilities that are affected though, I don't really see it making that much of a difference, because your engagement range is still going to be determined by your ability to do damage, ie. normal attacks.

verybad fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 18, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

verybad posted:

I like the range thing because because it changes the way different parties approach combat. Low perception party might be optimally played as a aura-buff stacking hugbox, while a high perception party is an artillery company with a spotter. Balancing just the numbers will make different stat arrays equally viable, but adds very little tactical depth.

Well the areas themselves are 'smaller' in scale than the Infinity Engine games relative to character size, and there'll be a lot of melee enemies. If pulling one guy pulls the nearby ones, I can't really see there being too much of that, YMMV tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

omeg posted:

Goddamn. I'm excited.

• Locked thread