Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

poptart_fairy posted:

So, weirdly specific but are there any videos that go into detail about the motion capture and animation for the series? I'm absolutely fascinated by the variation and detail that goes into the combat (actually let out a small shriek when I saw Bats flip someone upside down and slam their spine against a railing - I injured back in an almost identical way!), and it would give me a nerdy thrill to see the work behind it.

This isn't at all what you asked for but I can never resist posting this :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jerusalem posted:

This isn't at all what you asked for but I can never resist posting this :allears:

I'm glad somebody beat me to this.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

poptart_fairy posted:

I think I'm the only person who loved the Joker 'fight' in Origins. I think Beatdowns might be a very specific fetish I have.

Maybe this is weird, but when I got to the end I actually didn't want to fight him. He just seemed so sad and pathetic throughout the story. His backstory was largely taken from The Killing Joke, and that story ends with Batman admitting he's tired of fighting and wants to help him. And he was already decisively beaten, so I just stood there watching and waiting for him to get taken away. But he just dances in place and taunts you until you beat him down, so eventually I was forced to.

quote:

"SOLOMON GRUNDY IS UNDER THE ICEBERG LOUNGE AND PENGUIN FEEDS HIM PEOPLE".

The dialogue, from what I remember, referenced Penguin having a "monster" which he feeds people to. I assumed they were referring to the shark.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 16, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jurgan posted:

The dialogue, from what I remember, referenced Penguin having a "monster" which he feeds people to. I assumed they were referring to the shark.

I think some goons refer to the nursery rhyme at some point.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You're meant to assume it's the shark, but there are little references to Grundy here and there for the sharper-eyed player.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

I knew someone would link to this the second I asked that question. :allears:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You're meant to assume it's the shark, but there are little references to Grundy here and there for the sharper-eyed player.

You mean like the fact they're standing right in front of the Solomon Grundy poster, say his name twice, and say the first line of the rhyme?

It's REALLY OBVIOUS that you'll be fighting Grundy in the Iceberg Lounge, and anyone taken by surprise has the perception of a blind slug.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There are a ton of people who never bother listening to thugs. They're in it just to beat on poors and live the fantasy of being Batman.

I always listen to thugs. There's one in Origins who uses the same arguments I do regarding the superiority of winter compared to summer :allears:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Batman gathers information to take down criminals by skulking around and listening. I figured people would maybe act on this, and listen to the sometimes helpful or funny conversations thugs are having just before you break very important and useful bones in their bodies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

One of the dialogue bits takes place in front of a poster of Solomon Grundy, though, with some of the thugs saying they've seen him in Penguin's basement.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

As best as I can recall, because I'm not replaying the game just to get to this point, the dialogue goes something like this:

"That's it, that's the thing that Penguin's got locked up in the basement!" [you hear this line play out halfway down the hall and you can't rush forward in time to interrupt it and punch them to death so literally nobody can miss this line, and they are standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF A SOLOMON GRUNDY POSTER which you are facing as you come around the corner and is also the answer to a riddle so honestly if you didn't notice this poster then I don't know what to tell you]

"What? It can't be, this thing's gotta be a hundred years old!"

"So-lo-mon Grun-dy [thug draws it out slowly as if he is a bad reader, or else he thinks his friend is], that's what you can hear coming from the basement! 'Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday'"

"Huh, maybe it is."

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 16, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

As best as I can recall, because I'm not replaying the game just to get to this point, the dialogue goes something like this:

"That's it, that's the thing that Penguin's got locked up in the basement!" [you hear this line play out halfway down the hall and you can't rush forward in time to interrupt it and punch them to death so literally nobody can miss this line, and they are standing DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF A SOLOMON GRUNDY POSTER which you are facing as you come around the corner and is also the answer to a riddle so honestly if you didn't notice this poster then I don't know what to tell you]

"What? It can't be, this thing's gotta be a hundred years old!"

"So-lo-mon Grun-dy [thug draws it out slowly as if he is a bad reader, or else he thinks his friend is], that's what you can hear coming from the basement! 'Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday'"

"Huh, maybe it is."

Hmm, when you put it that way, it does seem kind of obvious. Though there are a lot of references to villains who don't actually appear, but yeah, you have a point. I think maybe I didn't realize I'd end up fighting him because I didn't know anything about Grundy, aside from that Cartoon Network promo where he wishes he had pants.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

That's pretty much exactly how it plays out. Unless your sound glitches out, it's loving impossible for the thugs NOT to tell you Grundy is under the Lounge. Then later they play it like it's supposed to be a surprise but unless you're blind as a bat (pun intended), there's no way it catches you off guard.

However, something about the fight DID make me go "Woah, didn't see that coming" the first time I did it... after you beat his second form and you move to finish him off, you get the achievement/trophy for beating him, thinking you're done... and then he suddenly grabs you and the fight KEEPS GOING. THAT was neat the first time I played the game.

EDIT: VVV This is the last I'll say of this. I am not giving players "too much" credit. There's SO MUCH foreshadowing towards the fight it's about one line away from blatantly saying "You're fighting Solomon Grundy in the Iceburg Lounge as a boss", and the designers were NOT clever for doing so. If you don't see it coming a mile away you're going out of your way and actively ignoring pretty much EVERYTHING in the game up to that point. That's it. I'm done talking about how much of a not-surprise Solomon Grundy is forever.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 17, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You're giving other players of the game too much credit, and the designers not enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

You're giving other players of the game too much credit, and the designers not enough.

If your argument boils down to "you don't get it, everyone is really stupid and didn't notice the thing stated directly to them," I can't say it is a very good one. A pessimistic one but not a very good one. People can miss obvious things but a giant glowing neon sign where they directly state something is not the developers trying to secretly surprise you.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

If your argument boils down to "you don't get it, everyone is really stupid and didn't notice the thing stated directly to them," I can't say it is a very good one. A pessimistic one but not a very good one. People can miss obvious things but a giant glowing neon sign where they directly state something is not the developers trying to secretly surprise you.

It's not a giant neon glowing sign, it's something stated in reference to something offscreen that requires the player to pay attention to enemy conversations, which is something many players don't do. There was someone in this very thread who missed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not a giant neon glowing sign, it's something stated in reference to something offscreen that requires the player to pay attention to enemy conversations, which is something many players don't do. There was someone in this very thread who missed it.

It is two characters discussing it in a scene where they mention the character by name and are standing in front of a giant poster of the character. The fact that someone missed it doesn't mean it isn't still obvious. Like your own argument boils down to "well, they assumed all the players were stupid and didn't pay attention."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

To be fair, that poster is invisible in DekaModo :v:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

lol

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Seven "lol" posts in a row? You're really itching for a probation, huh?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
they are all accurate lols

especially that last one

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CuwiKhons posted:

There was a Riddler story I wish I could remember the name of (it was from the 70s or 80s I think) in which he was hired to do security for this corporation because who was going to get past the Riddler's security walls? And it works out pretty well at first, but the CEO is a huge rear end in a top hat to Riddler and treats him like he's a mad dog on a leash so Riddler eventually bites back and constructs so many tricks and traps that nobody, including the CEO, can get through the building and Batman has to be called in.

It was a really interesting story because it showed a side of Riddler that I wish we saw more of - the side where he's really just having fun with the whole thing. He's never angry at any point in the story. He's irritated at worst with the CEO and he gets over it pretty fast when he decides to ramp up the traps. Even when Batman gets involved, Riddler goes through all the traps with him, watching him solve them and just being amused by the whole thing. It's clear that he wasn't out to hurt anybody, he didn't expect any of the random office workers to get mauled by a shark (one of the rooms had a shark tank, because Eddie really goes all out on traps), he was just trying to piss the CEO off really badly and make his life difficult.

"Run, Riddler, Run," I believe.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

they are all accurate lols

especially that last one

He's the hero we need. Probably also the one we deserve.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

You know what I'd love to see in AK? The ability to create custom challenge levels like in the old Tony Hawk skating games.

1: Choose if it will be a predator or combat level.
2: Pick from a list of environments(factory, warehouse, hospital, military base, etc).
3: Customize the level with placable objects such as walls(breakable or not),walkways, gargoyles, fire extinguishers, gun racks, grates,etc.
4 Designate enemy placement, including super-villains based of what type of map it is.
5:Chain created levels together as a campaign, preferably with the ability to slap some text in between levels like the Initiation DLC for AO.
6: Be able to upload and share these levels online.

Boom, you've got endless vignettes of fan-created content boosting re-playability a hundred fold. Within a month people will have recreated all of Batman's iconic battles from the comics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Canemacar posted:

You know what I'd love to see in AK? The ability to create custom challenge levels like in the old Tony Hawk skating games.

1: Choose if it will be a predator or combat level.
2: Pick from a list of environments(factory, warehouse, hospital, military base, etc).
3: Customize the level with placable objects such as walls(breakable or not),walkways, gargoyles, fire extinguishers, gun racks, grates,etc.
4 Designate enemy placement, including super-villains based of what type of map it is.
5:Chain created levels together as a campaign, preferably with the ability to slap some text in between levels like the Initiation DLC for AO.
6: Be able to upload and share these levels online.

Boom, you've got endless vignettes of fan-created content boosting re-playability a hundred fold. Within a month people will have recreated all of Batman's iconic battles from the comics.

That would be really cool, but I think it'd have to be completely integrated into the design of the engine from day 1.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Perry Normal posted:

"Run, Riddler, Run," I believe.

Yesssss, that's it! He's so loving proud of himself in that goddamn spandex outfit and his stupid hair, :allears: I love Riddler so much

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's so attractive in his Enigma days too. :allears:

Scarecrow and Riddler are fantastic. I really, really hope Scarecrow doesn't get sidelined in Knight.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Speaking of which, aside from the one story suggested earlier, is there any other good Scarecrow stories?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

kalonZombie posted:

Speaking of which, aside from the one story suggested earlier, is there any other good Scarecrow stories?

I always liked the Scarecrow story from No Man's Land where he's working to turn a group of people hiding out at a church against each other. Without access to his fear chemicals, he just becomes the most manipulative bastard he can to create fear.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That reminds me of another BTAS Scarecrow story where he announces to the city that he'll release his most potent fear gas and gives them a time limit to escape before he does.

Turns out there was no fear gas and he let them scare themselves into a panic with just the threat. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There are a ton of people who never bother listening to thugs.

I.... I don't understand.... :confused:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I.... I don't understand.... :confused:

I always thought it was funny how every thug conversation ended immediately after one thug said "The Bat ain't real." Everything after that was always just a garbled mess of screams and breaking bones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kalonZombie posted:

I remember a rather fun story in Night Fall. Were he announces that he has had difficulty finding gods of fear in classical mythology. So he annouces this to the city and though some plan of his gasses an entire section of it with Fear Gas while saying his demand is to mark him down as the god of fear for future generations.

Perry Normal posted:

I always liked the Scarecrow story from No Man's Land where he's working to turn a group of people hiding out at a church against each other. Without access to his fear chemicals, he just becomes the most manipulative bastard he can to create fear.

Reminds me of a point in the comics were the Scarecrow was called out as for being nothing with out his fear toxin. So in Arkham he temporarily decides to not his his toxin for a while and scares two inmates into committing suicide with words alone.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 18, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So Scarecrow is just a dick with some gas rather than an actual intellectual genius? :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

poptart_fairy posted:

So Scarecrow is just a dick with some gas rather than an actual intellectual genius? :v:

To be correct the first thing he did was go into a high school pretending to be a teacher. He lectures them about fear and stuff shoots some jock. He takes his new serum he created, a fear toxin that locks away the mind with fear and makes it so they can't do anything with out him instructing them to. He dresses the students as mini scarecrows and sends them off as bombers into the city, While ranting about his god of fear thing while showing the people who he had not gassed video of the people going crazy and or dying from the fear toxin in the city.

Then Anarky tried to stop him but Crane kicked his rear end using his own fighting style he calls Violent Dancing. (Based on the crane style of kung fu and drunken boxing.)

Crane more or less spent the story going around scaring the hell out of people.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I both like and dislike Scarecrown because of just how on-the-nose he is. Like, Batman himself is all about psychological trauma and using terror as part of his gimmick, and thus a fair amount of his bad guys are also defined by their personal traumas and/or are terrifying in their own ways. But Crane is literally a psychologist whose specialty is fear, and while he's awesome, it's a little too pointed :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

There was that one time he turned into the Scarebeast.

We don't talk about that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda glad I only know Batman through the films and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm kinda glad I only know Batman through the films and games.

I'm looking forward to when Morrison and Snyder's recent stuff gets adapted more. You could do a pretty great game based around the Court of the Owls, for one.

• Locked thread