Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

From what I've heard, there's no real way to know whether you'll have an exam which focuses on one section a mile deep or an inch deep on all 10 with no real way to predict. I know a few CISSPs, and only one who passed the first time. The others walked in banking on network/crypto/Dev questions and got hammered on DR/legal/etc.

Last time I talked about it was a few years ago, so maybe it's changed a bit, but I would go over the whole book and multiple sample exams if I were in your situation.

This is still pretty spot on as I just had a member of my team get his (yesterday - on his first try) but only after he took a week long class and spent multiple weekends studying for 6-8hrs. The scope of material covered to be potentially tested on is huge and you just don't know what domains you'll get tested on when you sit down. He said his was heavy telecom/access control/some SDLC.

I took mine 3yrs ago, I didn't study and only listened to some CBT videos on my 5hr drive to Atlanta to take the exam the next morning. I gambled big and it paid off because I passed on the first attempt only because my test was heavy telecom/DR/BCP, all of which I've done plenty of in my career of networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

poo poo that pisses you off for [cert study edt]: The explanation to why your answer is correct is not what you expected.

Apparently the knowledge I used to pick the correct answer wasn't accurate. Rather the explanation leans on a feature of DFSR caled content freshness. This is a manual, vaguely-documented feature of DFSR that prevents long term severed connections from replicating changed files once the connection is resumed. Its in none of the books I'm using to study.

Its referenced in a blog post from 2009, and not enabled by default, and has to be configured on every DFS server...

I loving can't wait to be done with this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I took the LFS101x Introduction to Linux course on edx.org to brush up on some Linux basics (recently began using it in an Enterprise environment) and today I received an email for a $100 off discount of the Linux Foundation Certified Systems Administrator (LFCS) cert exam for graduates of that class. That's the first I heard about LFCS. Is it even worth having? I don't necessarily need that type of cert right now (seems pretty entry level and I already have the job that that seems to be intended to help get), but if it's valued then I could go for it.

http://training.linuxfoundation.org/certification/lfcs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

DirtyFalcon posted:

New job offer wants me to get my CISSP within 90 days of higher. I've been studying casually with the sybex book and itpro.tv . their material makes the test seem fairly basic though. Anyone here have any insight as to the scope/depth of the material?

Is it mile wide / inch deep like compTIA exams or is it pretty in depth?

CISSP covers vastly more ground than the CompTIA exams, but it also goes considerably more in-depth. And the questions are written in a really annoying format. You could do it in 90 days if you already have a good amount of security knowledge and really dedicate the time to it.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

psydude posted:

CISSP covers vastly more ground than the CompTIA exams, but it also goes considerably more in-depth. And the questions are written in a really annoying format. You could do it in 90 days if you already have a good amount of security knowledge and really dedicate the time to it.

I posted this earlier but haven't seen a response. Any suggestions on a good source of practice exams for cissp? I've purchased a few of the study guides but just reading them isnt going to cut it for me I don't think.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DirtyFalcon posted:

New job offer wants me to get my CISSP within 90 days of higher. I've been studying casually with the sybex book and itpro.tv . their material makes the test seem fairly basic though. Anyone here have any insight as to the scope/depth of the material?

Is it mile wide / inch deep like compTIA exams or is it pretty in depth?

I'm sure you checked this, but are you able to obtain the other prerequisites to get the CISSP?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I posted this earlier but haven't seen a response. Any suggestions on a good source of practice exams for cissp? I've purchased a few of the study guides but just reading them isnt going to cut it for me I don't think.

https://www.cccure.org/

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm sure you checked this, but are you able to obtain the other prerequisites to get the CISSP?

Yeah, I meet the requirements.
The job, however, is looking less appealing considering everything. Amazing location and work but upfront costs associated with the relocation make it more of a gamble with this contingency than I think I'm willing to risk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

quicksand posted:

Passed the 74-325 today. 876/1000 not bad for learning I needed to take it by March 7th on the 27th of February effectively.

P.S This is a terrible test with completely wrong and out of date information. It is bad.

I failed with 586. What resources did you use for studying? It was more Exchange On-Prem and licensing heavy than I expected. I went through 74-325 Microsoft MVA Jumpstart but the instructors seem like they just threw everything together rather poorly.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Tab8715 posted:

I failed with 586. What resources did you use for studying? It was more Exchange On-Prem and licensing heavy than I expected. I went through 74-325 Microsoft MVA Jumpstart but the instructors seem like they just threw everything together rather poorly.

Lots of old sales materials, and out of date technet articles.

Weeeeeee. Seriously it's such a bad exam.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

quicksand posted:

Lots of old sales materials, and out of date technet articles.

Weeeeeee. Seriously it's such a bad exam.

Are you going through the newest MVA Video or the older ones?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Taking my A+ 801 tomorrow. I'm pretty confident, if a little nervous. Feel like I'll blank out on network port numbers or the length of a USB cable or some dumb poo poo like that.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Its been a decade since I had my A+ but cable lengths and port numbers weren't in what I studied. Are they in there now? Seems like port stuff would be N+ territory.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide Kindle version is $2.99 until Friday at midnight. Of course, I just bought the 301 version a week ago for $10. Sigh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

berzerkmonkey posted:

The CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide Kindle version is $2.99 until Friday at midnight. Of course, I just bought the 301 version a week ago for $10. Sigh.

Thanks! I'm actually studying for that test right now so this is a big help!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I have no plans to take S+ right now, but for $2.99 I'd be dumb not to get it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That book is all you need to pass and to be honest it's one of the most comprehensive and well written books I've read on my cert path

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just be aware that it is for next year's exam so if you're planning on taking the test before the end of the year, the sample tests will not be the same.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Passed the 220-801 with an 840. Nice. Gotta schedule my 802 now :v:

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Passed the 220-801 with an 840. Nice. Gotta schedule my 802 now :v:

How was it? I have the same concerns you did. Any advice on what to really cram on?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Inudeku posted:

How was it? I have the same concerns you did. Any advice on what to really cram on?

A lot of the practice tests you can google and find out there are pretty much spot-on with the type of questions they ask, I found. I had about 3-4 sims on mine, and they were pretty straightforward stuff. One of the sims was simply asking what different things on a motherboard were, for example. Another was setting up a wifi router to someone's specs.

I would say knowing the different pin counts on stuff like Floppy drive connectors, serial ports, VGA etc is helpful since they popped up a few times on my exam.

I'm sure the test is somewhat randomized, so you might get a slightly different experience. I saw lots of people in other forums saying they had tons of questions on printers for example, but I only had a few and they were pretty general.

E: Chances are you already found this, but this set of practice quizzes is a pretty good indication of what you'll be up against IMO:

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests

Really, if you've been googling and taking practice exams you find online and acing them, you'll be absolutely fine.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would say knowing the different pin counts on stuff like Floppy drive connectors, serial ports, VGA etc is helpful since they popped up a few times on my exam.

Holy poo poo, that stuff is still on there?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Inspector_666 posted:

They didn't outright ask me "What's the pin count of a floppy disk drive?" but yes, it did help me answer a few questions. For example, one question showed DVI, HDMI, and VGA cables all pointed towards you and simply asked "What are these?" Of course, the shape of HDMI and DVI is pretty unique, and you could probably just throw VGA in their also by association. Counting the pins on the VGA connector made sure that it was actually a VGA cable, and not a serial cable the threw in there to trick you because they do have a bit of a similar outline...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

It has to be, to remain completely inclusive from Helpdesk to technician.

I believe the only thing the 8x series pushed was windows 7 stuff.

(By the way, DCICT still pushes RIP and token ring)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

OhDearGodNo posted:

It has to be, to remain completely inclusive from Helpdesk to technician.

I believe the only thing the 8x series pushed was windows 7 stuff.

(By the way, DCICT still pushes RIP and token ring)

Comptia dropped a lot of older stuff like token ring and I think on the software side only covers XP>7 now. I think some of the older A+ stuff covered poo poo like Windows 98?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Effective 15SEP2014 SQL/Server 2012 MCSAs now have elective 3rd tests to complete the certification

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/...-available.aspx

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone been able to complete the sign-up for the Stanley VCP class? I was on the wait-list, went through some pre-registration but I haven't got any kind of response.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Security dudes.

Anyone taken the ArcSight ESM Security Analyst course?

http://h10120.www1.hp.com/expertone/datacard/Course/00430032

http://h10120.www1.hp.com/expertone/datacard/Exam/HP0-M54

I'll be going in October.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is there anyway of lowering the price or A+/Network+ exams? I don't remember it being so expensive...

also im poor :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

internet jerk posted:

Security dudes.

No, but I work with ESM daily on the backend and I'm interested, just so I can get a good taste for the other side of the application. Let me know how this goes if you don't mind.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone been able to complete the sign-up for the Stanley VCP class? I was on the wait-list, went through some pre-registration but I haven't got any kind of response.

I'm in it right now. I was on the wait list for exactly one year.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Race Realists posted:

Is there anyway of lowering the price or A+/Network+ exams? I don't remember it being so expensive...

also im poor :v:

I've heard good things about these: http://www.getcertified4less.com/CompTIA_Network_Early_Expiration_Voucher_p/networkvuepromo.htm

But to be honest I've never used them so I can't personally vouch for them. Also, it's only about a $30 discount.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

internet jerk posted:

Security dudes.

Martytoof posted:

No, but I work with ESM daily on the backend and I'm interested, just so I can get a good taste for the other side of the application. Let me know how this goes if you don't mind.

Looks like this is full or I would try to convince my boss to let me take it.

I have been at my first job out of school for almost a year now which is a monitor/report position that is all ArcSight. There was no formal training and I work the overnight so not a lot happens and I feel like I'm not learning/doing enough to put on a resume which is kind of a bummer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm in it right now. I was on the wait list for exactly one year.

You're taking the class right now or you got signed up?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

You're taking the class right now or you got signed up?

I'm in the class right now.

I'm also doing the CBT nuggets beside it which is much more in depth and helpful.

My work decided to rescind their agreement so I'm glad I chose the Stanly course over the 5-day ones, only this way it's clever enough that I'm getting screwed out of a couple grand. On a plus note I'm now free to seek employment elsewhere.

And in NoVA I'm sure there's someone looking for a CCNA/sec+ guy with a DoD secret and about to get VCP-DCV. Oh and if it's a 3rd shift NOC position I'm your huckleberry.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just got in the class today, a little surprised there's no syllabus.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Sure thing.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So I've decided to keep pursuing Cisco, and work towards CCNP. Given that the exams are changing, I don't really see a lot of use in studying the old 640 series material.

The one thing I'm having a bitch of a time finding though is any study material for the new 300-101 ROUTE, 300-115 SWITCH, and 300-135 TSHOOT courses. Is there even anything on the market available yet, or am I going to be stuck stagnating for a few months until stuff actually hits? I really liked Todd Lammle's books for my CCENT and CCNA, but he doesn't seem to have anything at the CCNP level.

I suppose I could study 640 stuff and probably hammer out ROUTE in a few months, but my concern is that from what I've read, the 3 exams are interconnected, so I'll be missing some pieces from the puzzle for the remaining two.

Phyre
Feb 7, 2002
Smack Monkey
I have a general career question that I think fits this thread.

My last employment was abroad for a big steel producer. I worked there 3 years as a project manager. I realized at about the 2 year mark that the steel industry pays like poo poo unless you're goddamn Lakshmi Mittal, but I grinded out another year so that I would be eligible for a PMP. I'm back in the states and studying for the PMP exam, but I have about 6 months to kill before I run into financial issues. I want to change industries, but my education background is in business, so I plan on using the next 6 months to get some baseline knowledge in IT. I've been around computers since '97 so I'm not computer/IT illiterate, but my knowledge is mostly shallow.

I realize tech is a broad industry and I'm having trouble narrowing down what I want to focus on. So my question: What IT program or certification would work best in conjunction with a PMP for landing me a decent job in the current market?

Slightly related, has anyone taken any UC extension IT programs? Is it worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TeamIce posted:

So I've decided to keep pursuing Cisco, and work towards CCNP. Given that the exams are changing, I don't really see a lot of use in studying the old 640 series material.

The one thing I'm having a bitch of a time finding though is any study material for the new 300-101 ROUTE, 300-115 SWITCH, and 300-135 TSHOOT courses. Is there even anything on the market available yet, or am I going to be stuck stagnating for a few months until stuff actually hits? I really liked Todd Lammle's books for my CCENT and CCNA, but he doesn't seem to have anything at the CCNP level.

I suppose I could study 640 stuff and probably hammer out ROUTE in a few months, but my concern is that from what I've read, the 3 exams are interconnected, so I'll be missing some pieces from the puzzle for the remaining two.

Dates I've seen for Cisco Press books are Nov for ROUTE and Dec for TSHOOT. I don't know what state the rough cuts versions are in.