Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm really surprised at how low the recommended specs for FF XIII is.
Still not getting it, hell no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

ARR brought them around on PC. It's weird. Since it got big they just kind of awoke to not being as huge idiots about PC.

I think it's more of a "wait, we can make how much money off this platform?!" sort of thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh I didn't read the notes that all of the 3 games are expected to be out by Spring next year.

gently caress, I'm broke if I was literally never invested in any other franchise than Souls and Final Fantasy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm really surprised at how low the recommended specs for FF XIII is.
Still not getting it, hell no.

The game almost entirely consists of watching videos play and with the occasional controlled running animation. There's a reason it was the best looking PS360 game when it launched.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ApplesandOranges posted:

IX doesn't really need to be touched, unless you just meant making it HD.

Considering SE's win ratio when it comes to making expanded universes hasn't been great (Ivalice notwithstanding) I'd rather they touch as few of the past games as possible aside from polishing up graphics.

I'd kill for a IX remake done in the style of KH3's reveal trailer, the graphics would be perfect for it. But at this point, yeah, some kind of re-release with some polished backgrounds would be perfect (and a faster battle system).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Krad posted:

Look at all these Final Fantasies getting all this attention. When is it going to be VIII/IX/XII's turn? They also deserve some remakes, you know. :smith:

XII HD with that job system thing only Japan got seems like kind of a no brainer

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

If all is well, why hasn't the ex-director talked about the transition and why it's for the best?

Who knows? It is a pretty new announcement. There are so many possible reasons why Nomura has not spoken publicly yet that it isn't worth speculating about.

Sunning posted:

FFXV has been in development for 8 years and we still don't have a release window. Entire videogame trilogies have come and gone in that time. This is by no means the norm for healthy, efficient game development. How long can we make excuses for mainline FF games that miss deadlines, lose staff, and undergo months of radio silence? Is it going to take an SE employee to outright say that hubris, bad project management, and the ballooning manpower requirements are affecting their development cycles? Because Yoshida already said that at GDC.

No one is arguing in support of the idea that SE's practices have been healthy, but despite that they have still been putting out some pretty fun games which is what matters the most even if those games are not quite as fun as those from their glory years. However, I do not think that SE is beyond recovery. I do not believe that they are incapable of learning or changing in a positive manner. I don't really care if their projects take a while. I care about the quality of the end product.

Here is the thing. You can be mostly right about what you have been posting and SE can still be putting out enjoyable titles at the same time. Which is more important?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to build a gaming PC so I can replay FFXIII, the second best Final Fantasy game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Help Im Alive posted:

XII HD with that job system thing only Japan got seems like kind of a no brainer

This one is mostly a matter of "when"... and whether it'll have touched up graphics like Type-0 HD or not.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krad posted:

I'd kill for a IX remake done in the style of KH3's reveal trailer, the graphics would be perfect for it. But at this point, yeah, some kind of re-release with some polished backgrounds would be perfect (and a faster battle system).

And completely dropping the Trance System. Although that would create plot holes with Kuja's endgame... But still, Trance sucks so bad, it be worth it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

And completely dropping the Trance System. Although that would create plot holes with Kuja's endgame... But still, Trance sucks so bad, it be worth it.

I'd be happy if they would just change Trance so that we could activate it like we can with Overdrives in FFX. It's a perfectly fine system otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We'll probably get FFXIIHD eventually but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

Xavier434 posted:

I'd be happy if they would just change Trance so that we could activate it like we can with Overdrives in FFX. It's a perfectly fine system otherwise.

Yeah, if Trance could be fired off when you want instead of happening randomly it'd be fine. (Aside from the 'never use it until boss battle, then wreck boss battle' problem.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Terper posted:

Yyyyup. They're also the shops of the game.

Ah, goddamn it. That's pretty annoying.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm glad that Japan's mandate of making sure everything runs on WinXP is still in effect.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Yyyyup. They're also the shops of the game.

Are there plenty of shops then? I'd hate to have 30 minute stretches where I can't save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Are there plenty of shops then? I'd hate to have 30 minute stretches where I can't save.

Save points are all over the place. You'll have long periods of time where you can't save but that is because the game has long-rear end cutscenes, not because there aren't a lot of save points.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ragequit posted:

They are pretty common. I never found myself in a situation where I felt like I didn't have enough save points.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ragequit posted:

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns let you save anywhere, so maybe they will put that in the first game, and just keep the save points around as shops.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I like the aesthetics of that FFXV trailer. It's got a lot of gameplay footage but I still have no idea how it actually plays. Is it mostly a straight action game, or is it some kind of awkward half-menu-driven compromise like FFXII or Xenoblade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJKM43ymg6Q

Or in text and gif form.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62839391&postcount=1

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Krad posted:

Look at all these Final Fantasies getting all this attention. When is it going to be VIII/IX/XII's turn? They also deserve some remakes, you know. :smith:

They really do. :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the save point info. It looks like Greenmangaming.com is also selling copies. If you have some built up playfire rewards collecting dust you can get a nice discount.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Krad posted:

Huh, is VII getting a remake? I think it's just that stupid bike minigame.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
XIII getting released so soon is so bizarre. It's taken them eight years to show us a handful of trailers for one game, but they bust out this port like immediately? I realize they probably worked on this for a while, but they show an odd amount of constraint when dealing with these PC ports.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Momomo posted:

XIII getting released so soon is so bizarre. It's taken them eight years to show us a handful of trailers for one game, but they bust out this port like immediately? I realize they probably worked on this for a while, but they show an odd amount of constraint when dealing with these PC ports.

A while back they said that the game was fully developed and ran on PC originally. So it probably wasn't a huge stretch to do a full PC port from that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here's the full press release:

quote:

FINAL FANTASY XIII SERIES ANNOUNCED FOR WINDOWS PC

OS ANGELES (Sep.18, 2014) – SQUARE ENIX®, today announced the FINAL FANTASY® XIII trilogy of games will be heading to Windows PC, with the first in the series, FINAL FANTASY XIII, due for release on October 9 th, 2014.

The game will be available to download via the Square Enix online store and the Steam™ PC digital service (amongst others), priced at $15.99. The game is available to pre-order now ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/292120), with those pre-ordering the Steam version receiving 10% off. FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will also offer a set of Steam Trading Cards for players to collect and exchange.

On its original console release in 2010, FINAL FANTASY XIII marked the dawning of a new era for the celebrated series, bringing the game to multiple hi-definition consoles simultaneously for the first time in its history. The original game and subsequent adventures in the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy will soon be available for PC gamers to play for the very first time, with all games in the series due for release by next Spring.

FINAL FANTASY XIII expands on the rich traditions of the series, with Producer Yoshinori Kitase, Director Motomu Toriyama, Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura and Art Director Isamu Kamikokuryo combining their creativity to deliver a beautiful FINAL FANTASY universe. Additionally, Composer Masashi Hamauzu presents a sweeping soundtrack while Movie Director Takeshi Nozue and his team of artists adorn the game with seamless cinematic sequences.

The FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy began in March 2010 with the release of the original FINAL FANTASY XIII and continued with its sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, released in February 2012. The most recent release in the series, LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY XIII, launched on February 11, 2014 . The series has been widely successful, shipping over 11 million units worldwide.

For screenshots, please visit press.na.square-enix.com.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/225938/FINAL_FANTASY_XIII_SERIES_ANNOUNCED_FOR_WINDOWS_PC.php

The full trilogy will be out by Spring. Steam Cards are included. The FFXIII trilogy also has had cumulative sales of 11 million copies. I wonder what the breakdown is for each one.

Xavier434 posted:

Who knows? It is a pretty new announcement. There are so many possible reasons why Nomura has not spoken publicly yet that it isn't worth speculating about.

No one is arguing in support of the idea that SE's practices have been healthy, but despite that they have still been putting out some pretty fun games which is what matters the most even if those games are not quite as fun as those from their glory years. However, I do not think that SE is beyond recovery. I do not believe that they are incapable of learning or changing in a positive manner. I don't really care if their projects take a while. I care about the quality of the end product.

Here is the thing. You can be mostly right about what you have been posting and SE can still be putting out enjoyable titles at the same time. Which is more important?

But those development issues have a dramatic effect on the quality of the game and the direction the company is heading. This isn't about a team spending years to fine tune the gameplay so they could release a polished product. It's about years of work being thrown out and manpower going down the drain due to miscommunication, poor project management, and other very silly reasons. I don't mind a developer spending extra time to polish a game. However, I do mind that if the developer didn't know how to create development milestones and manage project workflow until Eidos comes in to help them. I don't think anyone wants SE to burn money because they aren't able to efficiently manage large teams but that's the situation the company is in.

It's incredibly costly to keep people working on mismanaged project for long periods of time. This isn't necessarily about salaries since it's also expensive in tying up talent to a dead end project. No one wants to be stuck years of their life to a game that's not close to shipping. Former CTO Yoshihisa Hashimoto was instrumental in getting FFXIV:ARR working on consoles. Now, he's working on a start up life management company because the game engine he worked on for five years didn't ship a single game. Kentaro Yasui was one of the Kingdom Hearts series' lead programmers. Now, he and his technical know-how have left the company because Kingdom Hearts 2 was the last shipped AAA game he worked on directly. That's the cost of mismanagement. It leads to talent loss, poor morale, and lower quality products. These staff departures don't happen in a vacuum. They gradually affect the quality of the product and the company as a whole. It's how industry giants like id Software, LucasArts, and Origin Systems gradually declined or eventually died.

We're already feeling the impact of these troubled development cycles. Did you enjoy SE's handheld games that allowed them to take risks and give projects to younger staff? Well, FFXIV:ARR and other big ticket projects gobbled up all their handheld development staff due to resource consolidation and it doesn't seem like they'll give them back anytime soon. Kingdom Hearts 3D and the FFXIII sequels had strict two year development cycles which had a significant impact on their quality and polish. SE was reluctant to publish Bravely Default, which isn't even developed internally to begin with, in the West and have to hand it off to Nintendo. No company can keep subsidizing these troubled development cycles without it rippling across their company and affecting other products and business strategy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

oblomov posted:

Huh, is VII getting a remake?

It sure is!

We already have Crisis Core and Advent Children, they're not exactly remakes but it's close enough.

Meanwhile, games like XII just get Revenant Wings. :geno:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

quote:

with all games in the series due for release by next Spring.

Whoa, series as in Final Fantasy or just the XIII games?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

Whoa, series as in Final Fantasy or just the XIII games?

Probably XIII, but considering how IV just came out last night, we might get a port of the Android version of V, VI, and/or Tactics among the way.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

*stuff about SE's poor business practices and management

I agree? I am not really sure what you are trying to convince people of here. Yes, SE's management practices have been awful for a while now. Yes, that can hurt quality and even sink a company over time if not corrected. Unless one is not familiar with the happenings over at SE, it is really hard to argue otherwise.

However, what we do not know is how much of that is a part of SE's past and how much still resides in the present when it comes to how their AAA titles are currently being managed. Yeah, XV took a really long time but for all we know SE is starting to improve on how they manage things. Moving Nomura for the reasons they are stating could be a positive sign of that. I do not think that he had much to do with the fact that XV was delayed for so long. We do not know for sure, but what we do know is that what is going to matter most is whether or not XV turns out to be a fun game because that is all that most people are going to actually remember and it is all that drives sales.

It really is okay to recognize that SE still has opportunities to recover and still hope that they do so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

I agree? I am not really sure what you are trying to convince people of here. Yes, SE's management practices have been awful for a while now. Yes, that can hurt quality and even sink a company over time if not corrected. Unless one is not familiar with the happenings over at SE, it is really hard to argue otherwise.

However, what we do not know is how much of that is a part of SE's past and how much still resides in the present when it comes to how their AAA titles are currently being managed. Yeah, XV took a really long time but for all we know SE is starting to improve on how they manage things. Moving Nomura for the reasons they are stating could be a positive sign of that. I do not think that he had much to do with the fact that XV was delayed for so long. We do not know for sure, but what we do know is that what is going to matter most is whether or not XV turns out to be a fun game because that is all that most people are going to actually remember and it is all that drives sales.

It really is okay to recognize that SE still has opportunities to recover and still hope that they do so.

We've got one guy who's actually putting up interesting facts and analysis, and then we've got you, who's getting hot under the collar because those facts run up against his fairy-dust hopes for an argument no one's even making. Please stop.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sunning posted:

Steam Cards are included.

That means FF13, 13-2, and LR emotes on Steam.

Oh man gotta get a :caius: and 15 :yeuls:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

We've got one guy who's actually putting up interesting facts and analysis, and then we've got you, who's getting hot under the collar because those facts run up against his fairy-dust hopes for an argument no one's even making. Please stop.

I guess I left the wrong impression on accident. I am not upset. I agree with nearly everything Sunning posts fact wise at least. I am just more optimistic about SE's future than him despite the odds and I currently have different theories as to why Nomura was moved.

edit: Him and I both agree for the same reasons that SE has been in very bad shape for years now.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why do you have theories for why Nomura was moved. How does the reason he was moved affect you in any way.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Endorph posted:

Why do you have theories for why Nomura was moved. How does the reason he was moved affect you in any way.

The same reason anyone else might I suppose. I am interested enough in the topic to discuss it, lack enough information about the current behind the scenes at SE to make any solid conclusion, and am just trying to put a few pieces together. It's not very important to me.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Does the port of IV on Steam have the swap-out end game that the GBA version of IV had? It was really cool to be able to swap in the older story characters, and diving into that added dungeon for all their super weapons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That means FF13, 13-2, and LR emotes on Steam.

Oh man gotta get a :caius: and 15 :yeuls:
I cannot bear this.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Xavier434 posted:

Have they really turned a corner recently in regards to project management and retaining talent? What makes you so confident when they're still losing key staff and playing musical chairs with projects? I really want to know because I'm seeing the same signs that defined FFXII/FFXIII/FFXIV's problems. What makes FFXV different from those games when the series seems to take longer to create and has a more troubled development cycle with each new entry? Wouldn't the natural conclusion would be to believe FFXV will be worst one yet?

We've had about three straight FF games and an entire to learn how the company deals with adversity in game development. We've learned the company's tells and how they handle troubled projects. The FFXII post-mortem and the FFXIII post-mortem I posted from GDC magazine were almost word for word in what went wrong. Yoshida 's presentation at GDC corroborated many of these facts. We have a great deal of history and precedence to draw from when analyzing the company. It's usually a very bad sign if someone has to be removed from a mainline FF game's development, especially if it's done in a very evasive fashion and involves the CEO. It seems to me the development of mainline FF games have gotten progressively longer and more troubled with each new entry. Now, FFXV has taken longer to develop than any past entry and has lead to significant staff departures.

Let's just take a look at their recent problems in technology. They recently lost their CTO, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, in late July. They didn't have an immediate replacement (and still don't to my knowledge) for a key position which suggests the departure was unexpected and unplanned for. The engine he worked on for five years still hasn't shipped a game. They also have a long term Unreal Engine 4 licence since 2012 which hasn't been used yet to our knowledge.

They're are also looking for Japanese developers skilled in Unity to staff up a new development studio. So their technical roadmap for Japanese console development looks very muddled, especially with their next-gen engine still without a shipped game. In addition to Yoshihasa, they've lost one the lead programmers on FFXV who went on to work on a mobile game as a freelancer. It's usually not a sign of good management when you've had two high profile departures (Julien Merceron and Yoshihisa Hashimoto) from your company's technology department. All of that happened over the past two months which doesn't give the impression that management is turning things around. The company might have too much internal inertia that can't be overcome without removing the old guard in favor of young blood or creating development houses segregated from the company culture in Tokyo, such as their recruiting campaign.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tae posted:

Any story can be easily explained if you give a broad (broad, broad broad) summary. I think people get too hung up on trying to explain details that ultimately don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Generic Anime Kid teams up with Donald Duck and Good King Moggle Mog Jack Skellington to beat up bad guys?

Red Red Blue posted:

For some reason I expected it to cost more than that, that's kind of a pleasant surprise

There's no shortage of $5-10 used copies for 360/PS# floating around. Gamefly was selling used copies of FF13 for 10-15 USD less than a month after it came out. Still, it's a bit insulting that FF13 is being sold for roughly the same price as FFT or DQ8 on iOS, but those games are actually good so I guess it makes sense.

It's a shame the Type-0 HD remake is an Xbone/PS4 thing, I was going to probably grab it if it was on PS3 since I have zero desire to pickup one of the new consoles right now, and probably won't grab a WiiU until Xenoblade's out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man I cannot BELIEVE SE is trying to sell me trash like FFXIII for the same price as true pieces of art like Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King.

*Pushes glasses up nose* How dare they insult me like this!

(Please do not use phrases like 'insulting' when it comes to the comparative pricing of your toys. It just makes you look really really sad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still, it's a bit insulting that FF13 is being sold for roughly the same price as FFT or DQ8 on iOS, but those games are actually good so I guess it makes sense.

How is it insulting? Do you think they should price games based off your own personal like/dislike of them or something?

I honestly can't imagine how you can be insulted by them using the default price they use for basically every release they make at this point. If you want them to start giving discounts because the game is 'bad' then... well, refer to the title of this thread for why that is a bad idea.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 18, 2014