Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
ED-E tends to bug out and randomly get his upgraded blaster anyway, so if you get the armor upgrade you can have both at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wait, people don't take ED-E literally every time? Shame on you.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I must have played this game two dozen times now and I've still never bothered with ED-E's quest. But then, I also don't take companions very often unless I decide they're important for the roleplaying value of a particular playthrough.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone have some advice for playing an explosives character? I want to use explosives exclusively. Not sure about specials/what is the best weapons to use. Going to be plaiyng with fook+PN+EVE+WMX+WME in non hardcore incase that matters.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone have some advice for playing an explosives character? I want to use explosives exclusively. Not sure about specials/what is the best weapons to use. Going to be plaiyng with fook+PN+EVE+WMX+WME in non hardcore incase that matters.

Thump-Thump.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Fuzz1138 you used my avatar sugesstion :unsmith:

One fun thing to do in the game is try all of Ceasar's dialogue to see how easy it is to annoy him.

Spamming :geno: "I should go" when you first meet him gets him to :smug: ly declare "That's right, you SHOULD go". The man has been in an echo chamber so long he literally can't understand why someone would disobey an order from him.

The voice acting in this game is excellent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fuzz1138 posted:

I must have played this game two dozen times now and I've still never bothered with ED-E's quest. But then, I also don't take companions very often unless I decide they're important for the roleplaying value of a particular playthrough.

A robot with no particular political views is the perfect roleplaying companion for any playthrough, in my opinion.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

A robot with no particular political views is the perfect roleplaying companion for any playthrough, in my opinion.
ED-E kinds of breaks the game because like Boone he'd see anything from from half a mile away and kill it within 10 seconds.

Which is why you get both for the twofer special :unsmigghh:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I must have played through the game half a dozen times by now and I have never not gotten ed-e first thing.
I don't thinknive ever actually gotten Rex.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

cheesetriangles posted:

25mm APW, if you have GRA.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Moryrie posted:

I always take ED-E to the Followers, for story reasons, and also because offense is the best defense. Also since ED-E is ranged anyway he won't be tanking for you, so is unlikely to need the extra armor.
You'd think it would be the other way around seeing how the Brotherhood are into offensive weapons and the Followers are pacifist in nature.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

cheesetriangles posted:

Seconding the 25mm grenade launcher if you have the GRA. Goods fire rate and lots of variety in ammo types. I also have a soft spot for the missile launcher. Hive missiles are fun.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The last time I replayed New Vegas I made a cheatsheet with the console codes I might want, then I made a perk sheet for my brother who was playing through the game for the fist time. I print them out so I don't have to look poo poo up on my phone while I play the game, the perk sheet also happens to have my opinion on I think every perk in the game.

Here are the files, they're PDFs:

http://wikisend.com/download/296632/Fallout New Vegas Quicksheet (v1.0).pdf

http://wikisend.com/download/291366/Fallout New Vegas Perks (v1.0).pdf

Someone please rehost these or whatever. All the goddamn file sharing sites want me to make an account now and apparently those links will die after a week.

I did the same thing for Fallout 3 as well.

cheesetriangles posted:

Explosives exclusively will be a nightmare in vaults and tunnels as you'll constantly blow yourself up. Consider a nice machine gun or melee for that kind of stuff (Sleepytime is great, plus it's silenced -- the BAR from Dead Money is my favorite overall because it can take armor piercing ammo and has really high per-shot damage for a machine gun, making it good against heavily armored foes if you want to machine gun them).

DON'T get the perk that increases the splash damage radius. Do max out the Explosives perk. Definitely get Hit the Deck and Adamantium Skeleton unless you like walking on your knees every time you make an error with a grenade. Don't bother with companions.

Thump Thump was my favorite explosives weapon. Fast reload, strong, easy to get ammo for it. The "best" explosive weapon is actually the Anti-Materiel Rifle though if you use Explosive rounds. There's no travel time on the projectile so you don't have critters walking out of the line of fire while a missle slowly humps its way over there and the damage is huge, it's so strong I suspect it's bugged or something because it does missle-level damage a lot of the time.

All of the grenade launchers are good though.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 18, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You can frequently get critical hits with the AMR - or any sniper - so, yeah, a crit hit explosive round is like setting off a pocket nuke. It's amazing. Also, I might be reading the damage numbers wrong but I think it applies shot damage to whatever you hit and then also applies an area-of-effect explosion? Sort of double-dipping on damage per shot?

the only way this could be better is if someone modded up .50 Nuke rounds where each one hit like a Big Kid. In fact, that sounds amazing for cheaty funtimes.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Trust me when I say get an Experimental MIRV modded in and use Big Kids with it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sharzak posted:

I don't thinknive ever actually gotten Rex.

You're history's greatest monster

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Sharzak posted:

I don't think ihave ever actually gotten Rex.

But...But. Why? Rex with Violetta's brain is the best. Just walking along and then, zoom off he goes to kill something before you notice it. Zoom back in the other direction to kill something else. Cyborg-Dog pinball.

And you are helping out The King, how can that be a bad thing?

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

OldMemes posted:

Fuzz1138 you used my avatar suggestion :unsmith:

I did! Thanks for the idea! A friend of mine helped me out with the gif and we worked out the best possible loop within the limitations. I've been trying to come up with anything worth saying since then so I could show off that I am no longer a disgusting baby or a toilet lord.

Well, in that case it's more that I prefer not to have companions outside of their quest lines simply for gameplay reasons. I guess I just tend to feel, uh... more 'badass' working on my own. :airquote:

That and I never felt right getting the experience gain when Veronica would run off and punch some enemy I didn't even notice off in the distance behind me. Or they would mess up my attempts at stealth, which is still my favorite method of taking people out. But it was way back in my first playthrough that I actually kept companions around for any extended period, so maybe I'll give it a shot again this time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fuzz1138 posted:

That and I never felt right getting the experience gain when Veronica would run off and punch some enemy I didn't even notice off in the distance behind me. Or they would mess up my attempts at stealth, which is still my favorite method of taking people out. But it was way back in my first playthrough that I actually kept companions around for any extended period, so maybe I'll give it a shot again this time.
Funny because Veronica doesn't seem to want to hit things while we are in combat because crouching down causes her just to make an angry face and do gently caress all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

achillesforever6 posted:

Funny because Veronica doesn't seem to want to hit things while we are in combat because crouching down causes her just to make an angry face and do gently caress all.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fuzz1138 posted:

Start modding. It's for example not complicated to keep companions from attacking whenever you're in stealth.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I think Lake Mead Cave is one of the most beautiful places I've explored in any game.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Moryrie posted:

I think Lake Mead Cave is one of the most beautiful places I've explored in any game.

I've played this game so many times and I never knew that existed.

Now I wish I wasn't stuck in the Big Empty for the time being.

KnightLight fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 19, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Moryrie posted:

It's just too bad that there's nothing worth looting in there.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

KnightLight posted:

Why is this not the thread title?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Why is this not the thread title?
Because the New Vegas thread would get into a bloody war with the Alpha Protocol thread over which gamethread deserves that title more?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Raygereio posted:

Because the New Vegas thread would get into a bloody war with the Alpha Protocol thread over which gamethread deserves that title more?

I played through Alpha Protocol once, and that was one time too many. I really, really can't see anyone playing it 13 times like FNV.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
im well past 10, it's a good game, you should try it again

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Gynovore posted:

I played through Alpha Protocol once, and that was one time too many. I really, really can't see anyone playing it 13 times like FNV.

That's because you only played it once! Alpha Protocol is probably the most reactive game I've ever played, some of the scenarios they hid in there are insane. My favorite example: in Russia, if you beat the poo poo out of your informant, he'll tell wherever you're about to raid that you're coming, and they'll hire some extra badass Mercs. Walk in wearing full heavy armor after that and you can talk your way in pretending to be one of the extra muscle.

As for FNV's this-game!-ness, I just met Caeser for the first time after killing and eating Mr. House. He was very pleased with my initiative, I was pretty shocked he acknowledged it. I'm wondering what other shenanigans you can pull before meeting him. Does house have special dialog about killing caesar if you meet him after going to The Camp? Or is it just because Caeser will eventually send you to off House that gives him that line? Either way it impressed me and I was wondering what other silly stuff I can pull in act one to see how the players react.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gynovore posted:

This post is wrong

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Do the DLCs get better? I found Dead Money to be really tedious, and Honest Hearts is kind of mediocre (so far). I'm hoping Lonesome Road and Old World Blues are a bit better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Digital Osmosis posted:

That's because you only played it once! Alpha Protocol is probably the most reactive game I've ever played, some of the scenarios they hid in there are insane. My favorite example: in Russia, if you beat the poo poo out of your informant, he'll tell wherever you're about to raid that you're coming, and they'll hire some extra badass Mercs. Walk in wearing full heavy armor after that and you can talk your way in pretending to be one of the extra muscle.

I also like that the game reacts to even a lack of reactions, like when you skip the tutorial. AP :love:

quote:

As for FNV's this-game!-ness, I just met Caeser for the first time after killing and eating Mr. House. He was very pleased with my initiative, I was pretty shocked he acknowledged it. I'm wondering what other shenanigans you can pull before meeting him. Does house have special dialog about killing caesar if you meet him after going to The Camp? Or is it just because Caeser will eventually send you to off House that gives him that line? Either way it impressed me and I was wondering what other silly stuff I can pull in act one to see how the players react.

If you blow off House and just head to the Fort after dealing with Benny, when you get to the bunker he'll pop on the monitor and call you a jackass for ignoring his invitation and ask you to upgrade his army. I've never done it myself because I would never turn down getting the suite right away, but the game definitely tracks it.

House is also casually annoyed if you kill Caesar, because it throws off his predictions for how things will play out (Lanius not exactly being a stabilizing element).

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I started up my first playthrough of Vegas after not touching it for over a year. Finished up OWB and LR and now I've been wandering the waste essentially updating myself on what quests I had already done and what standings I had with each faction. It's interesting to play it off like I got abducted to OWB for months and then walked back through the Divide and stumbled back to the Mojave. Dazed, tired and confused I returned back to my home to unload my spoils and start a new. Went from carrying a dozen weapons down to 6 and now my player is revisiting places to remind people that they're still alive and to finish the fight. I've been going also slowly collecting all my companions along the way. Forgot how fun this game still is 4 years after it came out.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Gynovore posted:

Alpha Protocol and F:NV were both made by the same developer. I would think that that alone would convince you to give it more of a chance.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

KnightLight posted:

This playthrough was when I found out about the Deathclaw Promontory.

I'm glad that I had Increased Wasteland Spawns going, because I finally got to use a Big Kid and not feel like I was wasting it.

Two Big Kids, even! With Psycho. And Slasher. And then I brought a Gatling Laser from full condition down to half on Max Charge ammo.

This is the same playthrough where I finally got the perk for using Turbo 20 times, incidentally. Turbo is really fun when it lasts 45 seconds.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Alpha Protocol is the prequel to the Fallout games.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Byzantine posted:

Alpha Protocol is the prequel to the Fallout games.

*smashes this posters head into the table*

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I like ED-E but the ambient noise he makes drives me insane.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Cheston posted:

This is the same playthrough where I finally got the perk for using Turbo 20 times, incidentally. Turbo is really fun when it lasts 45 seconds.

I've actually stopped using Logan's Loophole because I think Turbo/Implant GRX lasting any longer than necessary is kind of obnoxious, especially since it also slows down the UI when looting all the corpses.

Well, that and it's "downside" actually being closer to a bonus makes it feel almost like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Alpha Protocol and F:NV were both made by the same developer. I would think that that alone would convince you to give it more of a chance.
This happened the other way round for me. I was lukewarm on NV when it first came out and didn't get very far. When Mass Effect 3 came out everyone was comparing it to Alpha Protocol, so I played AP and then reasoned that if the same people who made this and KOTOR2 made New Vegas I must have been missing something.