Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

I thought it had to be literally exact, the slightest amount of clock drift will potentially break everything. Or is there a little leeway?
Any distributed system that relies on event ordering shouldn't be using system clocks, which drift and can't be trusted to be accurate. Instead, they should be using something like Lamport timestamps or vector clocks, where causality and ordering are built into the system instead of being an incidental property of the environment they run in.

Cryptographically speaking, you could certainly build a system that requires less than five minutes of accuracy between two hosts; five minutes is a sane default and there's very little reason to change it.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So we're looking at downgrading our helpdesk software because our current setup is more expensive and more overkill than we really require. We have some vendors showing us there poo poo, and I was going to suggest throwing Spiceworks into the mix and compare them all.

I'm under the impression that for basic helpdesk software, they're pretty well regarded. Is that the case?
We use OTRS pretty successfully. 100k articles per year.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So we're looking at downgrading our helpdesk software because our current setup is more expensive and more overkill than we really require. We have some vendors showing us there poo poo, and I was going to suggest throwing Spiceworks into the mix and compare them all.

I'm under the impression that for basic helpdesk software, they're pretty well regarded. Is that the case?

I have no idea what your requirements are, but we needed some very basic ticketing software and SysAid fit the bill for us quite nicely.

The alternative was a custom-built SharePoint ticketing system; thankfully the Director who was pushing that idea got shitcanned before it ever happened.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Does anyone have a particular piece of asset tracking software they like? I'm looking for something to keep track of our hardware, but everything I've seen so far is a bloated and expensive piece of poo poo. I'll probably just roll up a simple one myself, but I was hoping there is something out there that could save me some time.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Gonna ask here too: How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technologies? Not learning them, but just hearing about them. I got into OpenStack in early 2012 so it wasn't exactly ground floor but it was fairly early. Right now I'm getting into Mesos and evidently it's been around for several years, I had no idea.

Are there specific news sites that cover stuff like this? Certain people on Twitter? How do you guys hear about new up and coming open source projects?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

hackedaccount posted:

Gonna ask here too: How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technologies? Not learning them, but just hearing about them. I got into OpenStack in early 2012 so it wasn't exactly ground floor but it was fairly early. Right now I'm getting into Mesos and evidently it's been around for several years, I had no idea.

Are there specific news sites that cover stuff like this? Certain people on Twitter? How do you guys hear about new up and coming open source projects?

This forum, reddit, spiceworks, checking Ars every couple of days and just general browsing. I'm not sure that makes me cutting edge though, usually a step or two behind it seems.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

hackedaccount posted:

Most of the really bleeding-edge stuff (and Mesos definitely counts) is covered exhaustively at conferences and not many other places. Check the itineraries for Velocity, LISA, SCALE, Monitorama, PuppetConf, ChefConf, DockerCon, etc. and try to grab slide decks and video afterwards.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Conferences mainly. They will talk about their medium and long term road maps. Try to go to the ones with a general topic rather than those run by one vendor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pockyless posted:

Does anyone have a particular piece of asset tracking software they like? I'm looking for something to keep track of our hardware, but everything I've seen so far is a bloated and expensive piece of poo poo. I'll probably just roll up a simple one myself, but I was hoping there is something out there that could save me some time.

I've been writing my own in Filemaker the last 10+ years. Each time I change jobs I rewrite it and it gets a bit more fleshed out. My current one tracks hardware, software licenses and cellphones. I can pull an employee up and see everything assigned to them, and then click on those items to see if there's software associated with them. Or I can go in through the hardware or software tables and do the same from there.

This allows me to keep a full history on each piece of equipment. Comes in handy when I want to see if something's been repaired, reformatted, swapped between employees or locations, that sort of thing.

The hardware section tracks purchase date and cost for the accounting people as well as warranty info so once a month I can run my own warranty report to see if any need to be extended.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This forum, reddit, spiceworks, checking Ars every couple of days and just general browsing. I'm not sure that makes me cutting edge though, usually a step or two behind it seems.

Pretty much the same, adding podcasts and rss feeds (using feedly).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

hackedaccount posted:

I still read slashdot, and hackernews (though hackernews is a cesspool full of garbage projects, self-aggrandizing, and people who've never worked on major projects, some good stuff and general industry trends floats up out of there every once in a while), r/python, conferences, user groups. I also unironically learn about a lot of things when people file RFEs requesting support for them or messages to mailing lists announcing that they've added support for openstack/ovirt to ${some_project} I've never heard of.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

I still read slashdot, and hackernews (though hackernews is a cesspool full of garbage projects, self-aggrandizing, and people who've never worked on major projects, some good stuff and general industry trends floats up out of there every once in a while), r/python, conferences, user groups. I also unironically learn about a lot of things when people file RFEs requesting support for them or messages to mailing lists announcing that they've added support for openstack/ovirt to ${some_project} I've never heard of.
Large projects are just startups that didn't exit fast enough :smug:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

SH/SC is my main source. Goons are a well out of which much useful information can be pumped. I also trawl other places like TechCrunch, Ars, AnandTech, etc. every so often. Pulse on my iPad is pretty awesome for aggregating everything.

Is it just me, or has Ars gotten too grandiose and over-the-top in their coverage of some things? Some days I open up Ars and I see riveting accounts of hacker tales with the flair of a Spanish soap opera, other days I load it up and get hit in the face with 8 articles discussing advanced physics on a postgrad level.

AnandTech is a lot more well-balanced... if only they would :justpost: on a regular basis.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Does anyone know of any Pastebin/Gist-type sites which allow you to annotate or mark up lines of text like a code review tool (or like RapGenius or Medium or whatever)? I need to mark up some JSON, but JSON doesn't support comments and I'm also completely anal-retentive.

First person to suggest Google Docs gets a free punch in the mouth.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Misogynist posted:

Does anyone know of any Pastebin/Gist-type sites which allow you to annotate or mark up lines of text like a code review tool (or like RapGenius or Medium or whatever)? I need to mark up some JSON, but JSON doesn't support comments and I'm also completely anal-retentive.

First person to suggest Google Docs gets a free punch in the mouth.

If you want to tell someone his json doesn't fit what you told him to do, best is to shoot an email.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

demonicon posted:

If you want to tell someone his json doesn't fit what you told him to do, best is to shoot an email.
It's my own JSON, for consumption by others. Email's not the best medium, sadly.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

dogstile posted:

I kind of missed this but how do you manage to function after you go to the gym? I've just got back from mine and i'm wiped out. I just want to sleep.

I feel like a greek god after working out. I won't make it until 10PM and often times pass out by 7 after work but it kick starts the gently caress out of my day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm the same as dogstile. Working out just drains me and I want to sleep immediately after.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What are you guys doing, though?

I find moderate strength training followed by a cool shower incredibly invigorating. Cardio? Intense training? Nope.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cardio mainly. But I've stopped for a while until I move into my new house.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

A mix of compound (squats, deads, rows, presses, etc) and isolation (curls and other feel good lifts for dat pump).

I do cardio whenever I feel like it mainly but try to keep it limited to sprints or the row machine or something. Yogging bores me to death.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Some days my own version of Stronglifts, other days cardio. I think I do cardio more often than lifts now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Starting strength, wipes me out. I feel really good for around half an hour after I shower and get home, after that I crash.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have much experience with corporate policy for company issued phones?

I'm hearing some whispers about possibly monitoring text messages and call histories and it sounds like :can:

I'm just thinking about all the information you could find that would immediately make you regret searching. What if an employee calls or texts:
Suicide Hotline
Union
Alcoholics Anonymous
A doctor specializing in something that would be scandalous like HIV or abortions
LBGT groups
A lawyer

I'm super glad I use my company phone for work only.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Unless you have a seriously dedicated MDM team it sounds like bullshit. That or your company is like 20 people.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have much experience with corporate policy for company issued phones?

I'm hearing some whispers about possibly monitoring text messages and call histories and it sounds like :can:

I'm just thinking about all the information you could find that would immediately make you regret searching. What if an employee calls or texts:
Suicide Hotline
Union
Alcoholics Anonymous
A doctor specializing in something that would be scandalous like HIV or abortions
LBGT groups
A lawyer

I'm super glad I use my company phone for work only.

We had a really bad instance of people using work phones and laptops for personal use, and it ended very badly for them since they got terminated. We have since made it very clear to those with phones that they are OWNED by the company, and any pictures, texts, email (personal if you add it), and calls are subject to company policy. No one is actively monitoring anything, but if you break or lose your device, it gets wiped. If you complain about being out of space on your iPad and you have 40gb of 'personal pictures you need to back up to a laptop at home', guess what, you are getting an HR write up.

Dumb asses.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
This is why we don't even gently caress around with this poo poo and tablets and phones are byod. If your supervisor wants to give you a raise to cover the cost, cool. We'll help you as best we can to get your email on it, beyond that, we give no fucks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm gonna keep the phone from the old job and see how long it takes them to notice. I'm betting at least a year.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We support the functionality of the device, and do e-mail via ActiveSync. No software or content support is given. Since iPhones are all the same, we don't repair them for the users when they break, we just replace them and put the refurbished ones into our pool.

It's probably not the most secure way to go and most users aren't smart enough to back up their pictures of grandma before they smash the front and back glass on the phone, but it's very good for our own mental health.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We have 100% company owned and provisioned Blackberry 10 devices controlled through BES which I run. I work in an unusually secure environment though, BYOD will never happen.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

dos2unix, dos2unix

Never again, NEVER AGAIN.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Head of HR left the company with a rather venomous farewell email, and I feel rather proud of the fact that I was called out directly for making their jobs difficult after they attempted to not pay overtime for on-call hours, even though it was said completely out of context in an attempt to make me look stupid.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

joe944 posted:

Head of HR left the company with a rather venomous farewell email, and I feel rather proud of the fact that I was called out directly for making their jobs difficult after they attempted to not pay overtime for on-call hours, even though it was said completely out of context in an attempt to make me look stupid.

I'm imaging something like:

"...and joe944 just couldn't shut the hell up about us stealing his pay; very unprofessional, joe!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haha, what kind of message is he trying to send? drat those devious people trying to get paid. What do they think this is, a business?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have 100% company owned and provisioned Blackberry 10 devices controlled through BES which I run. I work in an unusually secure environment though, BYOD will never happen.

I am so sorry.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erwin posted:

I am so sorry.

It's not all bad, making them corporate owned and provisioned phones makes things a lot easier in some respects. Ultimate control, ultimate power. Blackberry at least means there are a LOT of options and policies for controlling and managing them, and security is pretty high.

BES though, BES is the reason I drink.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

joe944 posted:

Heh. My wife brought home some copies of paperwork with some fairly funny policies from her school. Here are some highlights which I am actually kind of looking forward to sue for if she ever got into the situation.

1: Paycheck deduction for accidentally breaking their school issued iphones. (500$)
2: Paycheck deduction for working partial days without pto available. (salaried)
3: Collection for 5k in manditory training costs if you decide to leave the school, will withhold last paycheck. (Texas)

I am thinking we could probably make a major dent in the mortgage with whatever is left over if 2 or 3 ever happen.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Anyone have any suggestions as far as headsets?

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as far as headsets?

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

I'm a big fan of Jabra headsets for work. I sit in my own office and this is what I use, which is pretty overkill. I only use a softphone and never connect it to my mobile. http://www.jabra.com/products/wireless_headsets/jabra_pro__9400_series/jabra_pro_9470 They have about a hundred different options for whatever you desire.

The help desk here actually use Logitech G430 gaming headsets. They're comfortable and two ears help in an office that is never quiet. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So a bit ago I became gainfully unemployed, due to inner-office lolitics and financial decisions. Started tossing out resumes and two weeks later I found something else better than before.

Then today they start wheeling around a beer cart as the day comes to an end. Is this what the good life is like?