Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Shopping around for my 2nd gundam to build, which will likely be a Musha Gundam MK2, I found out there's a Tokugawa Ieyasu Dynasty Warriors gunpla. It's like 150 bucks in the secondary market though because it was limited edition 4 years ago. It has floral pattern decals for the inner armor. I am on model 2 and I have already found a white whale model I will probably never be able to justify the purchase for :(

Just give me all the samurai gundams. Give me every gunpla that has a sheathable sword or a naginata that isn't made out of energy or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

signalnoise posted:

Shopping around for my 2nd gundam to build, which will likely be a Musha Gundam MK2, I found out there's a Tokugawa Ieyasu Dynasty Warriors gunpla. It's like 150 bucks in the secondary market though because it was limited edition 4 years ago. It has floral pattern decals for the inner armor. I am on model 2 and I have already found a white whale model I will probably never be able to justify the purchase for :(

Just give me all the samurai gundams. Give me every gunpla that has a sheathable sword or a naginata that isn't made out of energy or some poo poo.

You want the HG Astray Red (the version with the flight pack) or Sengoku Astray. Both also have MG kits.

edit: You may also want the MS Launcher 01 Builder Part pack, so long as you don't mind the swords and sheathes being pure gray.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 18, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey BlitzBlast, thanks a bunch for namedropping Samueldecal, I just looked him up and apparently he makes the same type of gold waterslides that came with the Final Battle Version of the Banshee. And he's even doing pre-orders of the ludicrously detailed Mechanicore 1/100 Xi kit.

Thank you so much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's actually a pretty great source for web-exclusive stuff too, you just have to catch his pre-order windows.

A friend of mine got the last battle decals from him, they look neat.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, looking at The G-Self's instructions, it looks like it's a step back compared to most modern HG's - the thighs have no horizontal rotation.

It does, actually — they're more of an internal part this time but it's unclear how much range of motion they'll actually have.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Literally The Worst posted:

Gentlemen, behold.

The world's finest pussy deflector

Don't know how you build so fast, takes me about 4 days with about 2 hours each day for a HG. Sanding, snap fitting, and posing takes up the most time.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 18, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Don't know how you build so fast, takes me about 4 days with about 2 hours each day. Sanding, snap fitting, and posing takes up the most time.

I'm very good at cutting so that there's little to no nub to start with, and the Neo Zeong came off cleaner than most. I think I only had a half dozen nubs to trim off on the entire main kit. Also, again, it's a really simple build and I'm good with my hands.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It takes me a month to build a master grade, and I don't even paint them most of the time. That's just assembly, sanding, panel lining, decals, matte topcoat and sometimes weathering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I think there's something wrong with me, guys.

My Local Hobby Shop had a Gundam AGE-1 Spallow. I bought it. I just have to see how deep the rabbit hole goes--ahaha the candy dagger is a sticker!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The RG MkII has 3 sets of eye stickers. Am I supposed to put each sticker on layered over the previous one, in order? I'm getting conflicting reports where some people say it adds a 3D effect and some people didn't bother with the stickers at all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I've never seen an episode of AGE and from what goons have told me, I don't ever plan to, but I'm not going to lie, the Age-1 normal is a cool looking update to the RX-78. I might get it someday when I run out of MGs I want more.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The RG MkII has 3 sets of eye stickers. Am I supposed to put each sticker on layered over the previous one, in order? I'm getting conflicting reports where some people say it adds a 3D effect and some people didn't bother with the stickers at all.

They're for convenience. The first is if you don't want to paint the eyes at all, the other two are if you only want to paint the eyes/blacks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

They're for convenience. The first is if you don't want to paint the eyes at all, the other two are if you only want to paint the eyes/blacks.

How do you guys paint the faces/eyes and such. Is it toothpick and paint land?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Reverse washes are the easiest method. Lay a base coat of the eye color (preferably in acrylic), seal it in with future, then paint over with flat/glossy black (preferably in enamel). Seal that in with future too, then give it like an hour or two to be safe. Dunk a q-tip in mineral spirits and carefully rub off the raised indents of the eyes, and presto.

This won't paint the sides of the eyes, but at that point you really are in toothpick/crazy hand precision land.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BlitzBlast posted:

Reverse washes are the easiest method. Lay a base coat of the eye color (preferably in acrylic), seal it in with future, then paint over with flat/glossy black (preferably in enamel). Seal that in with future too, then give it like an hour or two to be safe. Dunk a q-tip in mineral spirits and carefully rub off the raised indents of the eyes, and presto.

This won't paint the sides of the eyes, but at that point you really are in toothpick/crazy hand precision land.

Wouldn't you clean the black off with mineral spirits/lighter fluid before applying the last coat of future?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You want to make sure you don't accidentally wipe off the black surrounding the eyes, so no.

I mean if you think you're precise enough then go for it, but some people are klutzes okay. :downs:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BlitzBlast posted:

You want to make sure you don't accidentally wipe off the black surrounding the eyes, so no.

I mean if you think you're precise enough then go for it, but some people are klutzes okay. :downs:

I didn't know that mineral spirits would go through the Future (unless you mean coating everything but the eyes). The only time I did a reverse wash I did it with Zippo fluid and no Future at all so the process might be a bit different.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Future doesn't make the coat of enamel invincible, it just means you have to swab a little harder. This means you won't have to worry about accidentally rubbing off a bit of black you don't want to.

I mean if you want you could add and extra step and rub off the future on the eyes with some windex and then grab the mineral spirits but eh.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

X gon' give it to ya

Who would have thunk that two of my absolute coolest MGs would be from Turn A?

Just need to put on the decals and topcoat that sucker and he's gone. Up next... Nu Gundam ver. ka.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I got faster at HG's after building a few SD's for some reason, could just be the practice. Also finding out that most kits are built so you can just snip 1 or 2 sprues and then the piece will snap out saves some time. Think I saw that in the gundam catalog I got from ebay.

I dont do much more than build+ panel line though. So "finishing" a HG is 1 night while watching a few tv shows isn't that far out of line for me. I usually take a break and panel line the next day while on lunch break (working from home).

edit: oh right, is there a reason runners seem to always come 50% in easy open bags and 50% in not so easy to open?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BlitzBlast posted:

Future doesn't make the coat of enamel invincible, it just means you have to swab a little harder. This means you won't have to worry about accidentally rubbing off a bit of black you don't want to.

I mean if you want you could add and extra step and rub off the future on the eyes with some windex and then grab the mineral spirits but eh.

That explains it. In my experience reverse washing my Sinanju I can also say that if you let your enamel coat cure for over a week it also becomes incredibly resistant to coming off (at least when using lighter fluid) to the point that I had a part break from being softened by the lighter fluid.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

madpanda posted:

I got faster at HG's after building a few SD's for some reason, could just be the practice. Also finding out that most kits are built so you can just snip 1 or 2 sprues and then the piece will snap out saves some time. Think I saw that in the gundam catalog I got from ebay.

I dont do much more than build+ panel line though. So "finishing" a HG is 1 night while watching a few tv shows isn't that far out of line for me. I usually take a break and panel line the next day while on lunch break (working from home).

edit: oh right, is there a reason runners seem to always come 50% in easy open bags and 50% in not so easy to open?

I haven't build a HG in a long time, but I'll generally assemble a MG over a decently long period of time. I'll do a limb or two then take a break for the day so I don't get burnt out and actually enjoy the process. I've assembled and panel lined entire MGs in a day before but it's not that fun. The MG Zeta was one of my first ones... and hoo boy that was painful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't build a HG in a long time, but I'll generally assemble a MG over a decently long period of time. I'll do a limb or two then take a break for the day so I don't get burnt out and actually enjoy the process. I've assembled and panel lined entire MGs in a day before but it's not that fun. The MG Zeta was one of my first ones... and hoo boy that was painful.

The last couple of times I've gone to GameraBaenre's competition in LA (November 15th this year) I've done exactly that. Buy an MG locally and assemble it in my hotel room the day before.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Anybody built the RG Z'gok? I haven't done much gunpla in over a decade but I remember really loving the HG Z'gok back in the day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a quick-and-dirty WIP picture of the AGE-1 Sparrow. I think my decision to repaint it in Ninja colors (black, dark purple, light purple, possibly a little gold to draw attention to the hands/feet? ) was the right one.

Seriously, why would you make your Robot Ninja Costume bright blue? :sigh:

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the hideous spoiler, though. It's such a pointless detail that I'm tempted to clip the whole thing off and sand down the attachment points. Since I'm painting anyway, that shouldn't be too noticeable. Maybe I should replace it with a cape?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just a quick-and-dirty WIP picture of the AGE-1 Sparrow. I think my decision to repaint it in Ninja colors (black, dark purple, light purple, possibly a little gold to draw attention to the hands/feet? ) was the right one.

Seriously, why would you make your Robot Ninja Costume bright blue? :sigh:

Naruto.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the hideous spoiler, though. It's such a pointless detail that I'm tempted to clip the whole thing off and sand down the attachment points. Since I'm painting anyway, that shouldn't be too noticeable. Maybe I should replace it with a cape?

That or get a whole bunch of street racer stickers and :rice:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I seriously considered bright orange and white just for that reason (and I'll probably be trying to find a way to give the thing an Idiot Headband) but the orange I own is crap. It's decent enough over a red backing in a tiny area, but it doesn't apply smoothly at all. The thought of trying to apply it to an entire Gundam--no. I'll stick with the paint that works.

Midjack posted:

That or get a whole bunch of street racer stickers and :rice:

Gundam AGE Formula-1? :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gammatron 64 posted:

It takes me a month to build a master grade, and I don't even paint them most of the time. That's just assembly, sanding, panel lining, decals, matte topcoat and sometimes weathering.

I don't paint and I really don't run into the issue where I have to sand (again, wargaming has taught me to take care of nubs without sanding) and once I'm in a groove my mind kinda goes blank and I just work on autopilot. I think I panel-lined the MG Build Strike FP over two days, maybe 8 hours total because I kept stopping and doing other stuff. Also, I loving loathe decals.

I'm not even trying to be a dick I just can't fathom how building a MG can take a month top to bottom.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By procrastinating.

A lot.

I'll panel line the GX someday, I swear.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gammatron 64 posted:

X gon' give it to ya

That is one sick puppy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

By procrastinating.

A lot.

I'll panel line the GX someday, I swear.

This.

Plus I have a busy schedule and I've been having 12 hour workdays. I've got stuff to do on the weekends and I can't just sit down for 12 hours and do a whole MG in one go most of the time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also you can be a spaz like me and work on seven kits at once.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Alternately you can take 4 years to put together a PG like me.

gently caress screws gently caress legs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

Just heat the screws up and shove them into the holes. As long as you move the joints around as soon as you do it to make sure you don't seize anything up, it should work just fine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I'd love to see you have a go at the MG Ex-S. That thing has the most screws out of anything I've built, including three PGs. God bless you, Bandai.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Or try completing a resin recast conversion kit where some of the molds seem to have been sheared sideways or something, it's a pain in the rear end and there's resin dust EVERYWHERE. The fit sucks and will probably continue until I superglue it together and on top of it all, I noticed you need a polycap piece that's probably stored god knows where.
I also found a site that sells it for like half price of what I got it and the reviews say it's good quality. -2/10 would not recommend for sanity.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well due to moving ill not be able to afford a backlog for at least 6 months :toot:

Should give me time to save up for RE1/100 gp04 :v:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Those Chinese knockoff guys need to make a plastic version of one of the resin conversion kits for a 1/100 GM Sniper II because the GM Sniper II is the best GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I cannot for the life of me decide between the Musha and the Musha Mk2. I mean I know I want them both eventually, and that Ieyasu Tokugawa golden musha gundam is going to be my chase model for a while, but I dunno which I want first. Cannot justify 2 50-dollar models in the same purchase... yet

• Locked thread