Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The tooltip in the Deathstroke fight is singularly useless. It admonishes you for countering before it's time to counter. But, like, most people aren't going to wait for... whatever it wants you to wait for. Slade comes at you with his poo poo a-swinging and goddamn if Y does not get pressed. I sure as poo poo did not ever intend to sit there and wait for the entire attack to go through just so I'd maybe get a thunderbolt of enlightenment over it.

Given how handily he thumped me, his cringing reaction was pretty bizarre and out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Endlessly spamming the exploding gel quickdraw will never not be funny.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Jurgan posted:

I do think it's odd that he's basically a boss version of the martial artists yet you fight him before you meet any martial artists. It seemed like it should have been the culmination, not the tutorial version.

The way things build up in this game is by introducing more moves and enemy types which culminates in a big fight with as many different enemies as possible. I think just a souped up version of an enemy type wouldn't work very well that way.

Another example is the Bane fight in Asylum. It was basically a tutorial for the titan enemies which are just another enemy type in the big fight at the end.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate that. I am saying that my understanding of the Deathstroke fight isn't based on "players are stupid", but that a disproportionate amount of the discussion among AO players, outside of SA, during the period after release, consisted of people not understanding how counters worked in the Deathstroke fight. I'm not beginning from the point that players are dumb, I'm beginning from the point that players missed that part of what the fight was supposed to teach, so that part of its design didn't work.

Yeah, the devs tried to make it so he would always dodge the batclaw after a couple hits in each phase of the fight, but it was still effective to just spam it-you could almost always follow up with a counter-free punch after it (also, whenever Deathstroke flips over you after a neutral exchange, you can hold the back key and hit him in the middle of his recovery animation- something else the devs didn't catch during testing). As a result, a lot of people learned the lesson of spamming batclaw, because the counter mechanic didn't give them clear feedback. They didn't understand how the slowdown was supposed to work.

Let me be clear here: I think the Deathstroke fight was very good- probably the best fight in the game. Its micro strengths didn't all translate to macro strengths, however.

lol

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Please shut up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

My playthrough of Origins was on Hard with counter icons turned off. The Deathstroke fight was rather confusing, I ended up having to use the quickfire Batclaw as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The tooltip in the Deathstroke fight is singularly useless. It admonishes you for countering before it's time to counter. But, like, most people aren't going to wait for... whatever it wants you to wait for. Slade comes at you with his poo poo a-swinging and goddamn if Y does not get pressed. I sure as poo poo did not ever intend to sit there and wait for the entire attack to go through just so I'd maybe get a thunderbolt of enlightenment over it.

My initial reaction was to hit counter, when that didn't work I figured that since this wasn't working I'd have to try something else, so at first I tried to just pummel my way through him which also got my rear end kicked. That's when I figured it had to be a timing issue (or that there was something incredibly obvious I was missing OR the game was bugged) so I decided to vary when during his attacks I used the counter button. Some started working so it clicked for me that I just had to figure out the optimal point to counter, and that going too soon or too late was going to get me bopped on the nose with a bo staff.

Once I had that figured out, I had the freedom to experiment with gadgets because I knew if worse came to worse I actually COULD block.

Given how handily he thumped me, his cringing reaction was pretty bizarre and out of place.

First time I actually beat him I only had a small amount of health left, but that made it work just as well for me. Deathstroke had pretty much just beaten seven shades of poo poo out of Batman and not only was he still standing, but Slade himself was getting exhausted and couldn't keep up while Batman just kept. on. coming. :gonk:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 19, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

First time I actually beat him I only had a small amount of health left, but that made it work just as well for me. Deathstroke had pretty much just beaten seven shades of poo poo out of Batman and not only was he still standing, but Slade himself was getting exchausted and couldn't keep up while Batman just kept. on. coming. :gonk:

Yeah, intentional or not his final line makes sense no matter how the fight plays out - especially given Slade is biologically engineered to be superior to others.

He's also got a ton of dialogue during the fight itself, AFAIK. I know he's taken the piss out of for me for attacking too often, gotten confused when I don't instantly counter, angry if I just go on the defensive without being touched, etc etc.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just counter at the right time for Deathstroke, do it too soon and you get hit. It was just as easy on new game plus because when he slows down in the animation, that's when you counter. When he uses the claw on an explosive barrel, you counter as if a henchmen is throwing one at you.

It's really that simple. It's the presentation of it why people like the fight because it feels like frantic.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's really that simple. It's the presentation of it why people like the fight because it feels like frantic.

Not to mention Slade is easily the most intimidating person you've met all night up to that point, and continues to be until you meet Joker and Bane. Yeah Croc was scary, but dumb as a brick, I never really felt intimidated by him in the entire fight. Slade though? Slade is tough, ruthless, and worst of all, smart. He chose an arena that would best benefit him (wide open, flat, and with portable explosives laying around for his little trick), he knows to hop out of your punches if you get too aggressive, hell he even has backup weapons because he knows Batman may very well just break several of his. You can't even say he made a mistake fighting Batman. At this point, nobody knows what Bats is capable of. By the line at the end of the fight, it's blatantly clear Slade had never fought anyone like Batman before, so he had every right to be cocky and overestimate himself at first.

It's a shame that Bane was the recurring boss and not Deathstroke. I would have loved another fight where Deathstroke learned his lesson and doesn't hold back at ALL, yet STILL gets beat because Batman is a loving beast.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Not to mention Slade is easily the most intimidating person you've met all night up to that point, and continues to be until you meet Joker and Bane. Yeah Croc was scary, but dumb as a brick, I never really felt intimidated by him in the entire fight. Slade though? Slade is tough, ruthless, and worst of all, smart. He chose an arena that would best benefit him (wide open, flat, and with portable explosives laying around for his little trick), he knows to hop out of your punches if you get too aggressive, hell he even has backup weapons because he knows Batman may very well just break several of his. You can't even say he made a mistake fighting Batman. At this point, nobody knows what Bats is capable of. By the line at the end of the fight, it's blatantly clear Slade had never fought anyone like Batman before, so he had every right to be cocky and overestimate himself at first.

It's a shame that Bane was the recurring boss and not Deathstroke. I would have loved another fight where Deathstroke learned his lesson and doesn't hold back at ALL, yet STILL gets beat because Batman is a loving beast.

If he was the recurring boss, the final encounter would've been like the Mister Freeze fight, a trick only works once.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

kalonZombie posted:

Azubah posted:

If he was the recurring boss, the final encounter would've been like the Mister Freeze fight, a trick only works once.
Tossing him aside so quickly in the first part of the game is one of Origins' greater sins, and I would have loved for these above 2 points to have been integrated. He shouldn't have been completely dispatched so early, and there should have been a rematch, absolutely.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So I'm finally playing Arkham Origins like I play the other Arkham games instead of a big dumb diaper baby who only punches and counters, and I'm using the quick gadgets.

Wow, concussion grenades SUCK. Like, they're not just useless, they're actively detrimental. Who thought that giving Batman a quickfire gadget that makes enemy movement patterns erratic and a shorter, more random counter window a good idea? Please give me back my REC gun. I miss my REC gun.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, intentional or not his final line makes sense no matter how the fight plays out - especially given Slade is biologically engineered to be superior to others.

Personally, his line didn't do much for me; it just felt copied from Asylum. I was super stoked when Scarecrow said it in the first game where you take enough fear toxin to drop an elephant and still kick ten kinds of rear end while tripping balls. That seemed more like it would warrant that kind of line and Crow's VA sold it better: you could hear his confusion and fear even through the character's voice modulation.

dscruffy1 posted:

My experience with the concussion grenades is that they were only really good when they got power quickfired. Instant explosion. Otherwise they were very solidly meh.

Personaly, I never use them, not even to round out the gadget-bonus. They're almost a negative power-up in that they actively make it more likely you'll drop your counter from getting randomly popped in the head.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 19, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My experience with the concussion grenades is that they were only really good when they got power quickfired. Instant explosion. Otherwise they were very solidly meh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

So I'm finally playing Arkham Origins like I play the other Arkham games instead of a big dumb diaper baby who only punches and counters, and I'm using the quick gadgets.

Wow, concussion grenades SUCK. Like, they're not just useless, they're actively detrimental. Who thought that giving Batman a quickfire gadget that makes enemy movement patterns erratic and a shorter, more random counter window a good idea? Please give me back my REC gun. I miss my REC gun.

Yeah, the Concussion Grenades straight-up suck. The only viable way to use them is in Power mode.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the Concussion Grenades straight-up suck. The only viable way to use them is in Power mode.

Did the version of Knight you played have any gadgets that bad, or did they not include any quickfire gadgets aside from batarang and claw?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The glue grenade is my favourite Origins gadget. "What the hell is this?! This is disgusting!" :haw:

Oh, and the heavy reel is pretty sweet. I like being able to remove three mooks from the room right off the top.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

Did the version of Knight you played have any gadgets that bad, or did they not include any quickfire gadgets aside from batarang and claw?

Didn't have any gadgets but the usual ones, unfortunately. They were mostly showing off the batmobile and the new environmental stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Oh, and the heavy reel is pretty sweet. I like being able to remove three mooks from the room right off the top.
It made a bunch of predator stuff really easy, but it was a lot of fun.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It made a bunch of predator stuff really easy, but it was a lot of fun.

I don't mind that. I'm terrible at predator segments. Straight up removing three dudes is a breath of fresh air.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I got some use out of concussion grenades in that big police station fight that they tell you to skip since the enemies are all packed up close enough that they end up punching each other. Even then though explosive gel probably would been more useful.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

I got some use out of concussion grenades in that big police station fight that they tell you to skip since the enemies are all packed up close enough that they end up punching each other. Even then though explosive gel probably would been more useful.

Wait, you can actually fight those guys? I've never tried it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yep- both in the SWAT meeting room, and the server room. Nothing special happens, though.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Yep- both in the SWAT meeting room, and the server room. Nothing special happens, though.

Missed opportunity. Should have given you an achievement or at least a comment from Alfred. I mean, they're talking about going after your bounty themselves, and Bat's even says "I shouldn't attack them right now." How could you not immediately drop down and introduce yourself?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Isn't Branden in there, too? You'd at least think he'd have something to say later if you kick his rear end more times then the game forces you to.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I heard Origins was really buggy and not that good. I liked the first two games, is this new one worth the $7.50 it's going for at the Steam sale?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yes, but not at any higher price.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I heard Origins was really buggy and not that good. I liked the first two games, is this new one worth the $7.50 it's going for at the Steam sale?

It has a better story than City's and it is pretty stable, so yes it is a good value. The Season Pass is also worth it if you enjoy Mr. Freeze stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, it's a fine game. It's a bit jankier than City but it has a lot of strong moments and most of the major bugs have been patched. It's really not bad at all, a lot of the negativity is (justified) annoyance over poor PC support and the usual internet hyperbole.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

At $7.50, it's worth it, yeah. It's a legitimately good game, it's just not quite up to par with Rocksteady's work.

And concussion grenades are loving horrible. They don't even make sense story-wise since the entire reason you're given them is so that you can avoid hurting cops - except you can't take somebody out with just a concussion grenade. You still have to get in there and break a few limbs.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Is the ending as bad as Arkham City's? Because that was a really, really bad ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is the ending as bad as Arkham City's? Because that was a really, really bad ending.

It's pretty much a generic Batman ending.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The boss gauntlet at the end did get a little tiresome.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Pretty much what you'd expect it to be. It's named Origins and at the end Batman is done originating and is Batman.

I kinda agree about the ending to City. I liked the original set up and was looking forward to fighting an unhinged Dr. Strange dressed in a discount Batman suit atop Wonder Tower, then it just pulled a complete left turn. I think it probably suffered some last minute re-writes to accommodate the Joker's storyline, possibly to get Hamil back on board for one last go around.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Huh. So that's the end of Enigma, huh? Blindingly obvious that he was Riddler, but I collect all his poo poo, ruin all his plans, and he doesn't even have a final snarky message for me? That's a serious letdown. :sigh:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't think it was supposed to be a secret that he was the Riddler, he just hadn't come up with the name yet. It was definitely a let down though.

Speaking of let downs, I caved and bought the season pass since it was on Steam sale. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any DLC from them since I was still pissed about the bugs but I want to play Cold, Cold Heart so badly. :negative:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Huh. So that's the end of Enigma, huh? Blindingly obvious that he was Riddler, but I collect all his poo poo, ruin all his plans, and he doesn't even have a final snarky message for me? That's a serious letdown. :sigh:

Well, if it's any consolation, years later you get him arrested and then punch him in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

He should've told you that he had a major secret when you go to his lair.

It's not revealed what that is until the end of the Mr. Freeze DLC, though.

• Locked thread