Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as far as headsets?

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Headphones-Gunmetal/dp/B003BYRGKY/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JTHXTRAGSZH02GGY9E3

+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Wow, will it make me look like this

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

hackedaccount posted:

Gonna ask here too: How do you guys keep up on cutting-edge'ish technologies? Not learning them, but just hearing about them. I got into OpenStack in early 2012 so it wasn't exactly ground floor but it was fairly early. Right now I'm getting into Mesos and evidently it's been around for several years, I had no idea.

Are there specific news sites that cover stuff like this? Certain people on Twitter? How do you guys hear about new up and coming open source projects?

A bit late, (which is apropos for the comment I'm about to make) but quite simply, I don't.

Cutting edge technology rarely matters for real life. I help keep ~12,000 instances running. I don't want cutting edge - I want stable and consistent.

Of the 500 "cool" technologies that get invented this year, 490 of them will be irrelevant and 9 of them will be superseded by a more refined product that does the same thing by next year or the year after. I don't have the time or energy to learn about 499 things that will ultimately never be widely deployed in production.

Learning about a software technology 2-3 years after it gets invented is, I think, ideal. Really, in 2011 who cared about Openstack besides Rackspace and HP? Nobody. If you didn't work at one of those companies it wasn't really an employable skill and it probably wouldn't have impacted your life.

The effort required to be on the absolute bleeding edge compared to the effort required to be inches behind it is astronomical.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What should we be doing instead?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 19, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

What should we be doing instead?

I'm just going to keep going Microsoft and hope they retain market share :tipshat: 2-3 years is a pretty solid track record, but any less established company can fold overnight for way too many reasons

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

Wow, will it make me look like this

No you are too fat and ugly.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Accretionist posted:

I'm imaging something like:

"...and joe944 just couldn't shut the hell up about us stealing his pay; very unprofessional, joe!"

My name wasn't spelled out, but the incident referred to was undeniably about me, and didn't contain the whole truth or even the more important parts of the story. Way to commit career suicide.

I'm implemented a few technologies, like the pulp repository management tool, that were probably a bit too early in their lifespan and had to deal with so many drastic changes that I'll likely never do it again.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Anyone have any experience in automating SSH to talk to Cisco equipment?

I've been using Net::ssh::Perl, Net::Open-SSH, and a little bit of Powershell-SSHSessions but they're all kind of crap. Well, Net::Open-SSH is pretty decent but unfortunately none of the RSA keys on our networking devices are 768 bit so OpenSSH refuses to connect to them. Recompiling OpenSSH or re-generating RSA keys are not available to me at the moment (I'm the junior).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I use expect to manage our network of 800ish devices and I've never come across a problem that it couldn't solve.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
So I was hired a few month ago as a Senior developer. Today my boss send a new organization chart around in which I am marked as the technical lead for the team. No one talked to me about this.

The guy I am working with is with the company for about 2 years and is acting for the last months as if he was my team lead.,*

I am not very keen to go on a battle for power so I am just sitting back and let him do the important meetings.

Do you guys think I should be competing more for this?

*conversation goes like hey what about we do (technical thing). He tries to answer as if I he were my supervisor, even though I just wanted to have a technical discussion with him.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

demonicon posted:

So I was hired a few month ago as a Senior developer. Today my boss send a new organization chart around in which I am marked as the technical lead for the team. No one talked to me about this.

The guy I am working with is with the company for about 2 years and is acting for the last months as if he was my team lead.,*

I am not very keen to go on a battle for power so I am just sitting back and let him do the important meetings.

Do you guys think I should be competing more for this?

*conversation goes like hey what about we do (technical thing). He tries to answer as if I he were my supervisor, even though I just wanted to have a technical discussion with him.

You need to talk to your boss and work out exactly how much your neck is on the line

If you are ultimately responsible for anything you need to speak to this guy and say either 'ok I back your idea' or 'I think we need to run your idea past boss'

If he is the sort of person who is going to say 'no we don't need to speak to boss, I can make the call' I guess you have to say 'well I'd really appreciate it if you ran it by boss'

If he still doesn't I guess you can say 'ok well I will back you but it's your call and on your head be it'

I'd also start carrying a notebook and if he is the sort of person to go along that patch you can write down what was agreed and the fact he wouldn't speak to the boss thereby covering yourself.

As a aside - I'm not sure where to ask this, I need to build a report using crystal reports (and SQL) which I've never done before. I'm ok with how reports work and SQL queries but does anyone have some good tutorials on combing the 2?

For my first report I'll be giving the user date parameters, grouping various fields across tables and some sub totals within the report if that helps anyone point anything out

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

angry armadillo posted:

You need to talk to your boss and work out exactly how much your neck is on the line

Yeah, I would talk to the boss and nail down exactly what "technical lead" entails compared to the rest of the people on the team.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

angry armadillo posted:

If you are ultimately responsible for anything you need to speak to this guy and say either 'ok I back your idea' or 'I think we need to run your idea past boss'

If he is the sort of person who is going to say 'no we don't need to speak to boss, I can make the call' I guess you have to say 'well I'd really appreciate it if you ran it by boss'

If he still doesn't I guess you can say 'ok well I will back you but it's your call and on your head be it'

I'd also start carrying a notebook and if he is the sort of person to go along that patch you can write down what was agreed and the fact he wouldn't speak to the boss thereby covering yourself.

As a aside - I'm not sure where to ask this, I need to build a report using crystal reports (and SQL) which I've never done before. I'm ok with how reports work and SQL queries but does anyone have some good tutorials on combing the 2?

For my first report I'll be giving the user date parameters, grouping various fields across tables and some sub totals within the report if that helps anyone point anything out

When I had to muck with crystal, I used an official tutorial. It was ridiculously dated, but so was the version I was in because banking.

I'd check these out first: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8514

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Those look loving stupid. Were these made by the "computer cases I bought in 7th grade" school of design?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

JHVH-1 posted:

I was thinking maybe I should just get one of those gaming headsets that I can use for other things other than conference calls. I really hate the classic bluetooth one ear crap with a passion, so I don't want one of those. I would rather use something with a headband thing even if its only one ear.

Does it need to work with a phone as well as a PC, or just a PC?

I've never had any issues with Sennheiser headsets. Sometimes a little pricier than Plantronics but the build and sound quality are superior.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I use this mic with an old pair of Sennheisers, and it works well. It'll fit most headphones that have a detachable cord. Kinda pricey for what it is, but it's good if you have a decent pair of cans that you like.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The largest ever IPO occurred in the US last week, and working on Wall Street there was a pretty positive buzz on Thursday and Friday. Went to the stock exchange with my co-workers to take pictures at about 7am (some of us had worked 60 hours last week to ensure this deal went smoothly from a technology perspective). I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly. Deal went through without a problem.

Had champagne in the morning, when the stock started trading, with my CEO. People went around just acknowledging everyone with the hard work they put in to get this done. Pretty great I found a place where that type of thing happens at a grand scale, you put in a lot of late-night hours and get rewarded properly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tailored Sauce posted:

The largest ever IPO occurred in the US last week, and working on Wall Street there was a pretty positive buzz on Thursday and Friday. Went to the stock exchange with my co-workers to take pictures at about 7am (some of us had worked 60 hours last week to ensure this deal went smoothly from a technology perspective). I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly. Deal went through without a problem.

Had champagne in the morning, when the stock started trading, with my CEO. People went around just acknowledging everyone with the hard work they put in to get this done. Pretty great I found a place where that type of thing happens at a grand scale, you put in a lot of late-night hours and get rewarded properly.

It still seems weird to me to see Chinese flags flying at the NYSE, even though I was only born in 1987.

Also one of our clients has a spot on the floor and every time I've dealt with the in-house NYSE IT folks it's been a pleasure, are you there or at one of the big banks?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tailored Sauce posted:

I put in a lot of hours making sure databases and IIS servers were running smoothly.

The disparity between Windows servers and other vendors in finance is always interesting, for realtime you almost never see Windows and yet some of the core most important machines are Microsoft based.

All the screens on NYSE run Chromium on Ubuntu feeding from Oracle iPlanet of all things on RHEL. The data routing is all through RHEL applications and boxes but the gateways are Microsoft-only. To this day though we still don't have any clients asking to run their core infrastructure on Microsoft systems.

Looks at this marvelous state-of-the art display system, about 2 DPI:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Inspector_666 posted:

Also one of our clients has a spot on the floor and every time I've dealt with the in-house NYSE IT folks it's been a pleasure, are you there or at one of the big banks?

I actually work for a vendor that provides software to the big banks. We don't work in the secondary market, so not sure about IT at the NYSE, we're more focused on the roadshows, allocations, etc. that happen before the company goes public. I wasn't around for the Facebook IPO, but have heard it doesn't compare to the scale at which Ali Baba happened.

Also want to point out that IIS owns.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Reiz posted:

Anyone have any experience in automating SSH to talk to Cisco equipment?

I've been using Net::ssh::Perl, Net::Open-SSH, and a little bit of Powershell-SSHSessions but they're all kind of crap. Well, Net::Open-SSH is pretty decent but unfortunately none of the RSA keys on our networking devices are 768 bit so OpenSSH refuses to connect to them. Recompiling OpenSSH or re-generating RSA keys are not available to me at the moment (I'm the junior).
I would look at RANCID to see what they did.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Basically this, I love IIS.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Ashley Madison posted:

I'm a big fan of Jabra headsets for work. I sit in my own office and this is what I use, which is pretty overkill. I only use a softphone and never connect it to my mobile. http://www.jabra.com/products/wireless_headsets/jabra_pro__9400_series/jabra_pro_9470 They have about a hundred different options for whatever you desire.

The help desk here actually use Logitech G430 gaming headsets. They're comfortable and two ears help in an office that is never quiet. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

At my first job, where I was paid $11.50 an hour to do hardware, software, and network support for Linux-based (Fedora 4, to be exact) POS terminals inside fastfood restaurants... the company bought all of us (all five of us) those exact same headsets. They were the only nice thing about that terrible, terrible job.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

abigserve posted:

I use expect to manage our network of 800ish devices and I've never come across a problem that it couldn't solve.

What about the drinking problem you develop trying to write Expect scripts? The real sad part is that I agree, it's probably the best option.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Docjowles posted:

What about the drinking problem you develop trying to write Expect scripts? The real sad part is that I agree, it's probably the best option.

It's simple, he just asks his boss for a raise to cover the cost of alcohol.

(I kind of hope someone has tried that)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
When applying for a new IT job and looking for salary ranges, how does one calculate how much they are worth? Is there a certain formula for estimating a decent salary for my skillset?

I know the 28k a year I make at the NOC I work at is retard low, but I've seen so many different salaries for comparable jobs that I have no real idea what I should actually look for when I move on to a new job.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Umbreon posted:

When applying for a new IT job and looking for salary ranges, how does one calculate how much they are worth? Is there a certain formula for estimating a decent salary for my skillset?

I know the 28k a year I make at the NOC I work at is retard low, but I've seen so many different salaries for comparable jobs that I have no real idea what I should actually look for when I move on to a new job.

Yeah, that's a bit low.

I like salary fairy, but I think looking at offer ranges for comparable jobs would be a better way.

P.S.: I think I may know you irl. Were you 8th floor Walker?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

meanieface posted:

Yeah, that's a bit low.

I like salary fairy, but I think looking at offer ranges for comparable jobs would be a better way.

P.S.: I think I may know you irl. Were you 8th floor Walker?

Nope, that doesnt ring any bells. I didn't know salary fairy was a thing though, thanks for that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I told goons here my responsibilities and skills, how many years experience I have, any degrees/certifications, and where I live and they said 80k, which emboldened me to refuse a job offer unless I made that much. If I hadn't asked here I might have accepted the initial 50k offer, big difference right?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Docjowles posted:

Expect is basically magic for networks, right down to the blood pentagrams and sacrificed goats.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

abigserve posted:

right down to the blood pentagrams and sacrificed goats.

Normally that's reserved for debugging SCSI chains.

nuklear
Dec 16, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

Steel Series Sibera V2

I use these at work for conference calls / VOIP stuff / music / etc.. super comfortable for long term

If you only want to use a 1 ear headset, quite a few of my clients are a fan of the Jabra headsets.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

My fav headset for theatre intercom is the the Beyerdynamic DT280. Dunno if there's a version that hooks easily to a computer. Sennheiser HMD-25 is another I can wear for a matinee+evening performance and not have problems with. Bonus is that you can easily rotate away one earpiece and have it only cover one ear.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

abigserve posted:

Expect is basically magic for networks, right down to the blood pentagrams and sacrificed goats.

I've found that a wide range electronics tend to respond well to blood sacrifice, that's why they put all sorts of sharp snags on rails and edges.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a big fan of the Plantronics CS series headsets for work purposes. Most of the folks with an office have one. I have a basic wired headset on my phone, it works for me.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I have my technical interview for an entry level "Systems Technician" spot in about two and a half hours and I'm pretty excited but also a little nervous! Hoping I don't get grilled too hard on stuff I'm rusty on or haven't learned before.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, my old boss is fine having me on as a contractor, but neither he nor I know what's involved for me to properly work out a contract and invoice the company. Is there a good primer you guys would recommend for that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gf got offered a job at a 5 year old company for 10 grand more than she is making now. Absolutely no benefits except for some stock and vacation. She could get Obamacare for around $230/mo for a very good plan. She currently is really disliking her job at the insurance company, but she does get a good 401k matching and benefit package. She is only 24, so maybe that stuff doesn't matter right now. She has no clue what to do.

The big catch of the company for her is that she would be working on a whole bunch of stuff instead of staring at Java code all day bored out of skull.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Gf got offered a job at a 5 year old company for 10 grand more than she is making now. Absolutely no benefits except for some stock and vacation. She could get Obamacare for around $230/mo for a very good plan. She currently is really disliking her job at the insurance company, but she does get a good 401k matching and benefit package. She is only 24, so maybe that stuff doesn't matter right now. She has no clue what to do.

The big catch of the company for her is that she would be working on a whole bunch of stuff instead of staring at Java code all day bored out of skull.

Math it. Determine how much the 401k matching and insurance is worth per year, and whether that will be fiscally worth switching jobs for.

At the least, she'll have a good mental basis for negotiating salary at the "new" company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much is the 401k matching? I enjoy comparing benefits to this fancy list...

Bloomberg best 401ks