Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011
This has gotta be the right thread, right? Anyway, Julian Casablancas, frontman of the Strokes, is releasing an album with his side band the Voidz this October, and they've just released their first single, Human Sadness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k3qB61lhk
It's super interesting and atmospheric, especially if you look up the lyrics. It's also about eleven minutes long, but don't let that scare you off! It really has me pumped for the rest of the album, Tyranny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The encore was him singing "Decisions" acapella, without a microphone.

I'm sorry you missed it :smith:.

Probably why he didn't do it then. People were stupid loud. :(

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Polkergeist posted:

This has gotta be the right thread, right? Anyway, Julian Casablancas, frontman of the Strokes, is releasing an album with his side band the Voidz this October, and they've just released their first single, Human Sadness:
It's super interesting and atmospheric, especially if you look up the lyrics. It's also about eleven minutes long, but don't let that scare you off! It really has me pumped for the rest of the album, Tyranny.

I was waiting for someone else to make a post about this as I wasn't really sure what thread it should go in!

I've listened to it a few times since it was released and I have to say it did grow on me, love the solo parts though I think if he had of cut it after the second solo 7ish minutes in it'd be a bit better. Still, like you, I'm pumped for Tyranny considering the tidbits he's thrown out on youtube.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
The new Avi Buffalo album is being streamed here with track-by-track commentary: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/08/avi-buffalo-at-best-cuckold-album-stream-and-track-by-track-guide

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, where some goon Spotify playlists at? I need new music, dawgs :(

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

89 posted:

So, where some goon Spotify playlists at? I need new music, dawgs :(

Real Name Grover posted:

Here, go nuts.

http://open.spotify.com/user/122549935/playlist/0HV0ZwTGnFR7sVF83jVOTe

Alphabetical order. I throw in one song per album, regardless of whether I like more than one song, or whether there's even an album to speak of, because I'm kinda OCD.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
There's a new Damien Rice album coming out, and I am SUPER. FREAKING. PUMPED. FOR IT!!!!! And if you thrust your condescension in my face, you should know that I/we have been waiting YEARSSSSS for this baby to arrive. Goddamn it :arghfist:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Robbie Fowler posted:

I was waiting for someone else to make a post about this as I wasn't really sure what thread it should go in!

I've listened to it a few times since it was released and I have to say it did grow on me, love the solo parts though I think if he had of cut it after the second solo 7ish minutes in it'd be a bit better. Still, like you, I'm pumped for Tyranny considering the tidbits he's thrown out on youtube.

Got to catch JC&TV twice this summer, and they're a bit more fun than the strokes.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
I listened to El Pintor a couple times today. I can't argue that a lot of the tracks don't blend together, but I just dig the Interpol sound. Not blown away, but it will grow on me. Bonus track The Depths might be the best on the album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Those of you who like Interpol but at the same time are interested in hearing a band that doesn't suck would enjoy Dan Boeckner's new project, Operators.

Edit: For those keeping track, this means Boeckner and Spencer Krug are now tied at 4 for bands in which they've done lead vocals, but I suspect Krug will take the lead when he changes the name of his solo project again in 2016.

Edit 2: In terms of total output, Krug is still winning, but he is also a robot programmed only to release albums.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 10, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Those of you who like Interpol but at the same time are interested in hearing a band that doesn't suck would enjoy Dan Boeckner's new project, Operators.

Edit: For those keeping track, this means Boeckner and Spencer Krug are now tied at 4 for bands in which they've done lead vocals, but I suspect Krug will take the lead when he changes the name of his solo project again in 2016.

Edit 2: In terms of total output, Krug is still winning, but he is also a robot programmed only to release albums.

Dan, you know, you could pop a wolf parade album out this year or next :mad:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 11, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

incoherent posted:

Dan, you know, you could pop a wolf parade album out this year or next :mad:
It wouldn't be the same without Spencer Krug. But I mean, he is married to the other member of Handsome Furs.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

FactsAreUseless posted:

It wouldn't be the same without Spencer Krug. But I mean, he is married to the other member of Handsome Furs.

Not anymore; they divorced a few years back.

And both Krug and Boeckner have gone on record and said Wolf Parade is very likely done. Sunset Rubdown is done, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Not anymore; they divorced a few years back.

And both Krug and Boeckner have gone on record and said Wolf Parade is very likely done. Sunset Rubdown is done, too.
Did they? That's a shame, Plague Park is my favorite Boeckner thing.

There wasn't really anything left to do with Sunset Rubdown. Dragonslayer wrapped everything up pretty well. Also Julia With Blue Jeans On is so insanely good that I don't really care if a Spencer Krug song ever has a guitar in it again.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did they? That's a shame, Plague Park is my favorite Boeckner thing.

There wasn't really anything left to do with Sunset Rubdown. Dragonslayer wrapped everything up pretty well. Also Julia With Blue Jeans On is so insanely good that I don't really care if a Spencer Krug song ever has a guitar in it again.

So true. I liked Marimba and poo poo Drums, but JWBJO is so hauntingly beautiful. Saw him live at Swedish American Music Hall in SF and he was perfect. Dude is so talented.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Polish Pirate posted:

So true. I liked Marimba and poo poo Drums, but JWBJO is so hauntingly beautiful. Saw him live at Swedish American Music Hall in SF and he was perfect. Dude is so talented.
If you missed Heartbreaking Bravery, be sure to listen to it. It's the other Moonface full-length, and is quite good. Also there's even a good track on Organ Music, Not Vibraphone Like I'd Hoped.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

On the subject of Spencer Krug's million releases, he has a new EP out called City Wrecker. It sounds like Julia b-sides, but there's a couple tracks that are worth listening to. It definitely follows the Moonface pattern though: the LPs are great from start to finish, but the EPs are really only for completionists or obsessive fans.

Edit: This the best of the EPs so far, better than Marimba or Organ Music.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
You should really check out Sir Sly's debut album You Haunt Me that just came out today if you haven't heard anything by them. They use a great mix of live instrumentation and production, I really like all the sounds and textures that are all over their songs. You Haunt Me, Ghost, Leave You and Too Far Gone are standouts for me, but I've had the album on repeat all day already.

You Haunt Me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPCuHefYEU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Didn't know quite where to leave this but I feel here is as good a place as any. I picked up some vinyl today and got some download codes if anybody is interested.

Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe

Urpressing.com/downloads
Code: *used*

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Download.jagjaguar.com
Code: *used*

These are for whoever gets them first, enjoy :)

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 17, 2014

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Stelio Kontos posted:

Didn't know quite where to leave this but I feel here is as good a place as any. I picked up some vinyl today and got some download codes if anybody is interested.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Download.jagjaguar.com
Code: JAG115.56AWXKVF

Grabbed this, thanks!

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Stelio Kontos posted:

Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe

Urpressing.com/downloads
Code: 12_01470_y10970

Grabbed this code, thanks!

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

New alt-J album is out in a week and has already leaked/is available for streaming.

It seems to be wonderfully cohesive, much like their An Awesome Wave. It has several excellent songs and some brilliant lyrics, though it comes off as overall slightly weaker. This is not meant as an overly harsh criticism, as I love both albums.

Anyone else listening to this yet?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Oryp posted:

New alt-J album is out in a week and has already leaked/is available for streaming.

It seems to be wonderfully cohesive, much like their An Awesome Wave. It has several excellent songs and some brilliant lyrics, though it comes off as overall slightly weaker. This is not meant as an overly harsh criticism, as I love both albums.

Anyone else listening to this yet?

Absolutely loving it so far. Give it a few listens, I think it could even be better than the first. It's just really solid.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Yeah, I love it as well. About on par with the first album, I'd say. Every Other Freckle is a hell of a song, I can't get it out of my head.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The critics seem to love hating on Alt-J when their readers seem to still love the gently caress out of them.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I can't wait till "Left Hand Free" makes its way onto Top 40 radio, as the song may or may not be one big troll :)

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Left Hand Free is a really catchy song and I've already heard it on alt-rock radio a decent bit. I find it funny, though, since according to what I read, that was their attempt at "the least Alt-J song we can imagine."

The rest of it seems kinda nice, but it doesn't seem to cohere as an album for me just yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Real Name Grover posted:

Here, go nuts.

http://open.spotify.com/user/122549935/playlist/0HV0ZwTGnFR7sVF83jVOTe

Alphabetical order. I throw in one song per album, regardless of whether I like more than one song, or whether there's even an album to speak of.
rhhhhnnggg Palace by The Antlers was amazing. It's such a good, calming song. So far, so good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9afJSKCOQQ

Oh and thanks to the dudes that mentioned Zammuto. Oddly fitting music in surreal, sleep deprived nights.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

T Bowl posted:

The critics seem to love hating on Alt-J when their readers seem to still love the gently caress out of them.

I'm not a critic and I don't think they make good music. Sometimes people disagree about what they like!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

uggy posted:

I'm not a critic and I don't think they make good music. Sometimes people disagree about what they like!

I was simply saying that Alt-J is not a popular one with the critics but most of the indie hipster kids seem to love them. Some people don't like it who aren't critics though? no loving way..... :rolleyes:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

T Bowl posted:

I was simply saying that Alt-J is not a popular one with the critics but most of the indie hipster kids seem to love them. Some people don't like it who aren't critics though? no loving way..... :rolleyes:

There are lots of bands that are poorly reviewed that have legions of fans. I don't think alt-j is any different than them. Sam smith might already be more popular and his album tanked with critics.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just don't know what point you were originally trying to make.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

uggy posted:

There are lots of bands that are poorly reviewed that have legions of fans. I don't think alt-j is any different than them. Sam smith might already be more popular and his album tanked with critics.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just don't know what point you were originally trying to make.

Sam Smith isn't a creditable source of what I am saying, I am talking the indie realm, where people usually follow the critics reviews... Of course the critics are going to pan the next Britney Spears album, the next thing Miley Cyrus does, Sam Smith (his music is good but it's not indie at all), etc, etc.

My point is Alt-J is a unique band doing some weird things and are very much the type of band critics normally blow a load over, they don't however, and all the indie kids still seem to eat it up and not let their opinion be dictated by a metacritic score... which isn't always the case.

I guess that was my point?

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I hate to interrupt, just wanted to say I really like the new Alt-J. You can stream it on iTunes Radio.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
You know, as an fan of indie rock, I sure do like waiting for reviews to tell me what I think.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Chamberk posted:

You know, as an fan of indie rock, I sure do like waiting for reviews to tell me what I think.

Yep, most indie rock fans I know. Just wait for the Pitchfork BNM tag and go at it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I don't know if anyone here knows GOAT but their second album is streaming on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=347635089&m=347757661

They're a Swedish psych rock band with a kind of afropunkish vibe that claim to be a voodoo cult. They'll definitely be touring for their new album so watch the schedule - these guys are really, really amazing live. Just jump to any point in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLda0HDhfw

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Polkergeist posted:

Have listened to it several times now. Liked it from the first listen. Good stuff.

Recently discovered Lali Puna's "Rest Your Head." They're from Germany and have apparently been around for a while now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4TIXuc_Kk

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The new Julian Casablancas album is streaming. I was pleasantly surprised by it; I think it's easily the best/most interesting thing Julian has done since Room on Fire.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So, I have the chance to go see King Tuff in concert in Nashville here in a few days and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen him live before? Is he worth going to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Go. I've never seen a bad review and he plays LA all the time.