Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

"kwang"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
Is wrestling, particularly given past history, the scummiest legitimate career/industry?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChaosSmurf posted:

Is wrestling, particularly given past history, the scummiest legitimate career/industry?

Lawyers are going to be a thing for a while yet, so no.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ChaosSmurf posted:

Nah. There are assholes and egos wherever you go. Wrestling is on par with the entertainment industry for fuckery. It's what happens when money is involved.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The NFL is making a powerplay to overtake wrestling too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The NFL is making a powerplay to overtake wrestling too.

Hell, didn't they have a murder-suicide last year? Wrestling hasn't had one of those since 2007!

The answer is still probably boxing.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 20, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ChaosSmurf posted:

Boxing is worse.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Bigass Moth posted:

I remember this as being especially brutal for the time and very unlike the WWF. I doubt it still stands up though.

I rewatched it again when it was on the Best of In Your House DVD. It's still a pretty fun match.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fatherdog posted:

Boxing is worse.

I mean, I know going back in time and shooting Don King in the loving face wouldn't solve all of boxing's problems, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

fatherdog posted:

Boxing is worse.

So is bodybuilding.
Football is getting there.

...And yet Vince McMahon has a history of promoting ALL THREE!!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Memento posted:

I mean, I know going back in time and shooting Don King in the loving face wouldn't solve all of boxing's problems, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Nature abhors a vacuum so there'd be a different parasite in there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Don't forget video game "journalism".
:goonsay:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

South Korea's music industry trumps all these things

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Memento posted:

Only if you get Arum too

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Boxing and body building never had a promoter die as cool of a death as Herb Abrams, ODing on coke while wearing a diaper and covered in baby oil.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What is the context of Vince McMahon dancing like a crazy person in front of Hulk Hogan playing guitar wearing a sleeveless tuxedo?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxtCTaCxDUc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Memento posted:

What is the context of Vince McMahon dancing like a crazy person in front of Hulk Hogan playing guitar wearing a sleeveless tuxedo?

It was Tuesday.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's kind of neat that you can hear him slip into the 'Mr McMahon' voice in a few bars.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It's glorious

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Is that Macho Man and Jake in the brass section?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was watching a Shane Douglas interview and he talks about Ric Flair "getting his penis out in a bar full of kids and running up and down the hall naked at 46 years old". Is this a specific incident?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was watching a Shane Douglas interview and he talks about Ric Flair "getting his penis out in a bar full of kids and running up and down the hall naked at 46 years old". Is this a specific incident?

oldpainless posted:

It was Tuesday.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Has there ever been a kayfabe explanation for having kendo sticks under the ring? I can rationalize most other weapons, but not bamboo swords.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Is that Macho Man and Jake in the brass section?

and Brutus Beefcake between them! Jake isn't wearing a shirt under his coat and it looks like his gut is hanging out

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has there ever been a kayfabe explanation for having kendo sticks under the ring? I can rationalize most other weapons, but not bamboo swords.

The ring crew plays with them between setting turnbuckles up. It's an even split between mimicking the Sandman and making lightsaber noises with their mouths.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If Bray Wyatt wants to start a giant cult why does he wrestle instead of proselytize

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

Going under the ring takes you into Ringspace, an alternate dimension full of tables, kendo sticks, trash cans, Doink clones, and leprechaun housing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Going under the ring takes you into Ringspace, an alternate dimension full of tables, kendo sticks, trash cans, Doink clones, and leprechaun housing.

Don't forget buckets of poo poo and portals to hell.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Smoking Crow posted:

If Bray Wyatt wants to start a giant cult why does he wrestle instead of proselytize

He be crazy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I mean undertaker wrestling makes sense because Paul Bearer called him up from the dead to wrestle for Ted DiBiasi and this is all he knows but Bray has done stuff not related to wrestling

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don't forget buckets of poo poo and portals to hell.

It's basically D&D 4's Primordial Chaos.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's basically D&D 4's Primordial Chaos.

Works for me, thanks.

How much did Shane McMahon have to do with creative? I was just rewatching his match vs Angle, and that guy was dedicated to the business. It seems like he should have at least as much of a claim to the business as Stephanie. Although I'm okay with Steph because it means HHH will be in charge some day.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this is a lazy explanation. What are his goals? Why does wrestling accomplish them?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sleepingbuddha posted:

Works for me, thanks.

How much did Shane McMahon have to do with creative? I was just rewatching his match vs Angle, and that guy was dedicated to the business. It seems like he should have at least as much of a claim to the business as Stephanie. Although I'm okay with Steph because it means HHH will be in charge some day.
Almost nothing, and he's apparently terrible at it. Great character, though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sleepingbuddha posted:

Works for me, thanks.

He never had any official creative position, that was Steph's area until Hunter took over and she moved to brand management. I'm sure he had a lot of control over his angles though. I think his department was something internet/new media related?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sleepingbuddha posted:

Do you want to be the guy to explain to Steve Blackman why there aren't kendo sticks under the ring when he comes back

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

Ha! Kendo sticks are stupid wrestling weapons anyways.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

sleepingbuddha posted:

Ha! Kendo sticks are stupid wrestling weapons anyways.

I hope Sandman fucks your back up and pours beer on you