Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

oatgan posted:

this is a lazy explanation. What are his goals? Why does wrestling accomplish them?

His profile remains high so long as he's fighting the biggest names on the biggest stage. The world is filled with wannabe cult-leaders but most of them aren't Superstars® with their own action figures and video game characters and virtual playing cards and so on. Moreover, Winning and retaining the belt affords a wrestler better access to those masses. A wrestler without a title could disappear down the card, hidden away on Main Event which to a sermonizer like Bray would be anathema. It's not like Zack Ryder is eating worlds from wherever he's at. So Wyatt wrestles and he wrestles for the belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Smoking Crow posted:

I hope Sandman fucks your back up and pours beer on you

I would prefer a stunner, followed by beer being poured on me.

Next question, what was the appeal of Sandman? I never liked him (and I started watching ECW in 1996). I guess I always thought Zubaz pants looked dumb as poo poo, even when they were somewhat cool.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

sleepingbuddha posted:

I would prefer a stunner, followed by beer being poured on me.

Next question, what was the appeal of Sandman? I never liked him (and I started watching ECW in 1996). I guess I always thought Zubaz pants looked dumb as poo poo, even when they were somewhat cool.

He's loving great. He used kendo sticks, he drank like a fish, he had a voice like gravel in a blender. Everything you need to know about Sandman is in that loving entrance. He's like Austin if Austin was really hardcore

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The DX vs. McMahons feud in 2006 was terrible and unfunny for the most part, but DX showing this clip on the 'tron and Triple H doing his best impression of Vince's dancing was beautiful. :allears:

Jerry Lawler's reactions to the whole thing were also pretty great, for once he sounded like he genuinely found it hilarious.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
the best part about it is that the lyrics are clearly vince sendign a message to all the rival wrestling promoters

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

He's loving great. He used kendo sticks, he drank like a fish, he had a voice like gravel in a blender. Everything you need to know about Sandman is in that loving entrance. He's like Austin if Austin was really hardcore

"When it comes to donuts, go to straight basic glaze."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOwRBll21Uc

e; ahahaha they mentioned wafflehouse, it's a fucken standard in wrestling

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 20, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I was really blown away when I saw him in WCW and he was kind of trim and almost crisp and didn't explode himself by accident in the one match I saw

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

If Jeff Jarrett wants to become a country music star why does he wrestle instead of performing country music

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Don't piss me off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OH NO MAN posted:

The DX vs. McMahons feud in 2006 was terrible and unfunny for the most part, but DX showing this clip on the 'tron and Triple H doing his best impression of Vince's dancing was beautiful. :allears:

Jerry Lawler's reactions to the whole thing were also pretty great, for once he sounded like he genuinely found it hilarious.

That always slightly annoyed me because Jericho and Benoit did exactly the same joke back in like 2002 or so.

Vince: Oh no I have been humiliated by the uncovering of that video that was uncovered and humiliated me several years ago!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

That always slightly annoyed me because Jericho and Benoit did exactly the same joke back in like 2002 or so.

Vince: Oh no I have been humiliated by the uncovering of that video that was uncovered and humiliated me several years ago!

So if your mom showed your girlfriend that picture of you crying at your 3rd birthday party you wouldn't be humiliated if she showed it to your next girlfriend?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ric Flair is wrestling. Curt Hennig is wrestling. Shawn Michaels is wrestling.

The Sandman is wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

So if your mom showed your girlfriend that picture of you crying at your 3rd birthday party you wouldn't be humiliated if she showed it to your next girlfriend?

My 3rd birthday party owned and I got one of those awesome cars where you pull it back along the ground and let go and it vrooms off by itself. :neckbeard:

I'm sorry... what were we talking about again?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qBtOHkBm1A&t=120s

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wish Sandman and Undertaker had a Wrestlemania match just for the overblown Mega-PPV entrance which would be 70 minutes of Sandman drinking every beer in the arena.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

LividLiquid posted:

Almost nothing, and he's apparently terrible at it. Great character, though.

What is that one angle that people usually refer to as Shane's first attempt at creative? I believe it was something pretty loving stupid during the Attitude era.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What is that one angle that people usually refer to as Shane's first attempt at creative? I believe it was something pretty loving stupid during the Attitude era.

Pretty sure he came up with choppy choppy your pee pee.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I think he wasn't the right person for creative, but he was well liked by people backstage.

quote:

Former WWE writer Court Bauer worked alongside Stephanie McMahon in creative when it became apparent she was Vince’s likely heir apparent. At times, Shane dropped into meetings. “I liked his approach. It was very playful, and really just an exciting, ‘What if we did this?’” says Bauer. “If you went into Shane’s department, it was fun, laid-back, loose vibes. The energy and positivity wasn’t there in creative the way it was in digital. When it came out [in 2009] that he was leaving the company, I spoke to people at WWE, a lot of people were walking around like someone had died. ‘Oh gosh, he’s going to leave us?’”

I had to give traffic to Buzzfeed, but they wrote one of the few pieces about Shane since he left.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/golianopoulos/how-pro-wrestlings-scion-is-fighting-to-make-it-on-his-own#9ok3nq

Reading between the lines, I just don't think he took it as seriously as Steph or Vince did, but then when you consider that Vince was hard on him it wasn't surprising that he tried to not be like his old man.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has there ever been a kayfabe explanation for having kendo sticks under the ring? I can rationalize most other weapons, but not bamboo swords.

My headcanon is that ring crew put them there just in case of a surprise Steve Blackman return.

Stop signs on the other hand, I never understood. But it was fun yelling "STOP!" every time someone whacked someone else over the head with one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
The return of Steve Blackman is something I've been waiting for over the last fifteen years...

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

The return of Steve Blackman is something I've been waiting for over the last fifteen years...

You do know he was at the 15th anniversary Raw, right? Or maybe the thousandth episode, whichever. They were pretty close together. He looked and acted exactly the same as he did in the attitude era.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sleepingbuddha posted:

Sandman was like Dick the Bruiser or the Crusher - a guy that blue-collar fans immediately understood and liked because he was believable.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CombineThresher posted:

Sandman was like Dick the Bruiser or the Crusher - a guy that blue-collar fans immediately understood and liked because he was believable.

Sandman reminded me of the guys my dad used to hire in his appliance repair business, beer drinking, chain smoking, intimidating, possibly on parole

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Every time Ric Flair takes a back body drop he lands on his side. Anyone know why this is? I know landing flat on your back is supposed to be better since the shock is more evenly distributed.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The plane crash he was in completely hosed up his back.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
never actually seen it myself but supposedly there's a few instances of him accidentally taking it flat on his back and audibly swearing

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

The Grey posted:

Every time Ric Flair takes a back body drop he lands on his side. Anyone know why this is? I know landing flat on your back is supposed to be better since the shock is more evenly distributed.

he broke his back in a plane crash in 1975 and it's really a wonder he ever was able to continue wrestling

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Xerzes posted:

You do know he was at the 15th anniversary Raw, right? Or maybe the thousandth episode, whichever. They were pretty close together. He looked and acted exactly the same as he did in the attitude era.

He also got a big pop and it was awesome

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bard Maddox posted:

he broke his back in a plane crash in 1975 and it's really a wonder he ever was able to continue wrestling

It's amazing to see photos of him before the crash considering how trim he was in his main career. Dude was like Bray Wyatt's size.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
SLAM! did a pretty write up on the plane crash.

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingFlair/planecrash-can.html

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

Sandman reminded me of the guys my dad used to hire in his appliance repair business, beer drinking, chain smoking, intimidating, possibly on parole

Right, exactly. Now consider the kind of person who went to indy wrestling shows in 1990s Philadelphia. Of course they loved the Sandman.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

LvK posted:

never actually seen it myself but supposedly there's a few instances of him accidentally taking it flat on his back and audibly swearing
Found one, no swearing though

http://youtu.be/W1ONNZAMyxU?t=18m40s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

He was a construction worker. He built the scaffolds whenever they did a scaffold match.

Think about that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

It's a really apt comparison because a lot of wrestlers really hated wrestling the Crusher, especially towards the end. Of course the Crusher was never as bad as Sandman was.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

carolina crusher?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

carolina crusher?

She barely knew her!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All I know about the Crusher is I saw him on Over The Edge 1998 with his cheap tan suit and his big cigar and his punching Jerry Lawler in the head while growl-yelling and I kinda wanted him to adopt me as his grandson and teach me how to get old-timey barrel-throwing strong. The kind of training where you eat 5 sausages then punch mustachioed longshoremen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oatgan posted:

carolina crusher?

Is the Carolina Crusher like the Dixie Demolisher?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Xerzes posted:

I need this information. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

When did wrestling start having the noncompete clause? During the Monday night wars?