Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You're going to have to tell us what you're doing before we can tell you what you're doing wrong.
Fair enough. Got the sourdough starter from Safeway's bakery, been feeding it all-purpose flour for cost and availability reasons. I started from this recipe, except I used a bread machine for the kneading and the first rising. I've heard from various sources that I'd get better bubbles if I added more fluid to the dough, so I added some water, apparently enough to render it soupy, so I stirred in some more flour and sent it through the bread machine again. After this was done, I got a rather thinner dough than usual, though it still stuck together well enough. I kneaded it, rolled it into a ball which I threw in a covered bowl to rise a third time, for about an hour, then threw it in the oven for about an hour again, until it sounded hollow when I struck the bottom. I'm pretty sure the amount of time it spent rising helped with the bubbles, and keeping some water in the oven gave that nice soft crust, but the only thing I can think of to help with the taste is the culture I'm using, which I don't see an easy way to fix.

ETA: Added quote for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The longer you let the dough mature, the more sour flavor you will develop. A few pointers for more consistent results: measure your ingredients by weight, not volume. A few dollars for a digital scale will pay huge dividends. Second, try cooking your bread in a dutch oven (20 minutes covered at 450, 25 uncovered works well for me). The covered vessel traps steam and helps you get a good rise. Here's a good formula for sourdough from Peter Reinhardt's The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

preferment
4 oz of starter
4.5 oz of flour
2 oz of water

Final Dough
20.25 oz flour
.5 oz salt
14 oz water

Mix preferment together the evening before you bake, allow to ferment at room temperature for four hours, then allow to finish overnight in the fridge. The longer you let this ferment the more sour it will become.

The next morning, take the preferment out of the fridge and allow to come up to room temperature (about an hour). mix with remaining ingredients for the final dough (usually easier to add water and break up the preferment before adding flour). Knead well in stand mixer or by hand. Allow to bulk ferment in a covered oiled bowl for four hours. Divide and shape. Allow to proof for 2-3 hours until the dough rebounds slowly and leaves a dent when poked. If it rebounds quickly and feels snappy, you need more time. If it does not rebound at all, you went too long, reshape and try again. For the most part, it is a lot easier to underproof a loaf than overproof, err on more time than less. Bake in a dutch oven, on a stone, or with whatever you got at 450 for 40-45 minutes (if you divided the dough in two, if you are making smaller loafs, should take less time). Make sure your oven is pre-heated well, set it as high as it will go at least an hour before you bake.

Peter's recipes are pretty reliable, but I wish he'd use metric.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
So just give it more time to ferment and rise, easy enough. Haven't got a dutch oven here, just been using a broiler pan, but will try that recipe and method when I visit my parents this weekend.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
To be perfect is to be unable to improve any further.

darthbob88 posted:

So just give it more time to ferment and rise, easy enough. Haven't got a dutch oven here, just been using a broiler pan, but will try that recipe and method when I visit my parents this weekend.

Long refreshes/ferments/proofs certainly give better results. Plus they're actually less stressful with a bit of planning.

I used to scramble to try and bake a loaf in a single day: get up early and refresh, only give it three hours refresh, make the dough, then only three hours to ferment, then shape and proof for maybe two hours max. All the time I'm trying to find warm places to keep the dough to speed things up. And I can't go out all day as I keep having to look after it. Eventually at the end on the day I'd have spent all day looking after this loaf, and ended up with this loaf that was flat, with a pretty dense crumb, and not that flavourful. Plus it's past dinner time so I didn't even get to taste it properly!

Now I spread out things out over multiple days and it's much less stressful and gives much better results.

I get my best results when I refresh my starter in the evening and leave it out (covered) on the dining room table overnight. Then the next day I'll autolyze the flour and water, and go do something else for 30 minutes. Then I'll make the dough and knead in the mixer for five minutes, then put aside to ferment for at least four hours, stretching & folding four times when I get the chance. Then I shape, and leave it for another hour or so before popping it in the fridge overnight. On the third day I take it out of the fridge then switch the oven on. An hour later the oven is ready for my bread, and I'll have it baked and cooled in time for lunch.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm having problems getting my dough to rise (no innuendo in this sentence I swear). I'm making Pretzels.

So, here's what I'm doing. I'll mix 1 Tbsp Sugar + 2 Teaspoons salt in 1.5 cups of warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water. Then I'll stir it a bit, just to dissolve the salt and sugar.

Then I add 1 package of Fleischmann's active dry yeast. It proofs just fine. Then add flour, melted butter, and knead it.

Then I transfer the mixture to a clean bowl, and wrap the bowl in saran wrap for about an hour.

But then... nothing. It doesn't expand in size. What am I missing/doing wrong? It's odd because when I roll dough and complete the recipe, the dough rises IN THE OVEN just fine. But no rising action while it's sitting in the bowl for an hour.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 20, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

melon cat posted:

I'm having problems getting my dough to rise (no innuendo in this sentence I swear). I'm making Pretzels.

So, here's what I'm doing. I'll mix 1 Tbsp Sugar + 2 Teaspoons salt in 1.5 cups of warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water. Then I'll stir it a bit, just to dissolve the salt and sugar.

Then I add 1 package of Fleischmann's active dry yeast. It proofs just fine. Then add flour, melted butter, and knead it.

Then I transfer the mixture to a clean bowl, and wrap the bowl in saran wrap for about an hour.

But then... nothing. It doesn't expand in size. What am I missing/doing wrong? It's odd because when I roll dough and complete the recipe, the dough rises IN THE OVEN just fine. But no rising action while it's sitting in the bowl for an hour.

How warm is it? Try a longer rise. With butter and salt rising will be retarded.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

melon cat posted:

I'm not quite following this part. "Proof" normally refers to the final rise, and I think that's what's confusing me.

Do you mean you're adding the active dry yeast, letting it activate, then adding the flour & butter and kneading? If so that's fine.

If you mean you add the active dry yeast, then the flour & butter and knead, then your problem is probably that you're not activating the active dry yeast. It's a bloody confusing name: active dry yeast must be activated (mixed with warm liquid and left for five minutes before using). Instant yeast can just be mixed in (and from what I can tell there aren't any drawbacks to using it over active dry).

If you're activating the yeast, and not seeing a good rise in the bowl, then as therattle says, rise it longer, or put it somewhere warmer. Personally I've never seen dough double in size within an hour. Maybe that works if you've got a warm airing cupboard or proofing drawer, but for me it's just room temperature and it always takes longer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

KuroMayuri posted:

I'm not quite following this part. "Proof" normally refers to the final rise, and I think that's what's confusing me.
"Proof" also refers to blooming the yeast in water to "prove" the yeast is alive.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just plopped a good hunk of no-knead bread dough in an oiled 9x13 to rise and gave it the focaccia treatment with finger docking/oiling the top/salt/oregano/sliced oil cured olives and it is in the oven right now. How terribly could it possibly come out?

E: It has puffed up hilariously and will either become the next Blob and ravage the Northcountry or finally brown enough to be edible and serve as something with no description.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 20, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

therattle posted:

How warm is it? Try a longer rise. With butter and salt rising will be retarded.
It's at room temperature, usually. I'll try skipping the salt, first. What's the science behind butter/salt messing with the rising?

KuroMayuri posted:

Do you mean you're adding the active dry yeast, letting it activate, then adding the flour & butter and kneading?
Yes. you hit it right on the nose, there. That's exactly what I'm doing! So how much longer would you recommend letting it sit? 2 hours instead of only the one, maybe?

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"Proof" also refers to blooming the yeast in water to "prove" the yeast is alive.
Ahh that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

melon cat posted:

Yes. you hit it right on the nose, there. That's exactly what I'm doing! So how much longer would you recommend letting it sit? 2 hours instead of only the one, maybe?
Unfortunately there's no simple amount of time to be specified. You'll notice recipes always say "rise for an hour, until doubled in size". The important part here is the size, not the time. I always find it's much longer than suggested. Maybe the recipe writers have proofing ovens or warm airing cupboards (or are just being lazy, because everyone says an hour) but for me it's always much longer. But I proof on the dining room table, that isn't that warm...

And of course doubling in size is hard to judge. America's Test Kitchen suggests using a tall jar, rather than a wide bowl, to help judge it. Like a lot of bread making, you have to do it lots of times and eventually you just get a feeling for it. I know that's not the advice you're looking for, but... erm... sorry. I didn't like finding out there's no simple rules for bread either... but I did enjoy eating all the test breads along the way :)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

melon cat posted:

It's at room temperature, usually. I'll try skipping the salt, first.

What? No. Don't skip the salt. Bread without salt is awful.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Focaccia of Poor Decisions Update:

I think the bottom crust has permanently fused to the Pyrex, the olives were well overdone by the time it finished baking, and it had the single most shattering top crust I have ever made.

Ripped it out of the pan and brushed the withered olives off and it is delicious with an olive oil/cruchsed garlic/red pepper flake/salt/balsamic vinegar dip. Well, what is left of it after nearly wrecking two spatulas getting the motherfucker out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

melon cat posted:

It's at room temperature, usually. I'll try skipping the salt, first. What's the science behind butter/salt messing with the rising?

Room temp is an incredibly vague term. I don't know what your room temperature is!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Practically the only thing every BBQ region in the US agrees on is that wonder bread is the ideal bread for smoked meat.
As such, I've been planning a wonder bread clone for a while and today's results were pretty good.
Made some dinner rolls with the excess dough, too.

Used a mix of bread flour and little semolina, whole milk, and goat milk powder.
Really nice, small and uniform crumb. Really few blisters.
Baked it in a pullman pan so that it came out crustless.

May take the semolina out entirely as I feel like the bread could be springier, maybe I could up the milkfat?
Or use a more gluten rich flour?
Any advice is happily taken.

Should pick up the liquids from smoked meat, pickle brine, and sauce really well.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 21, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Woof! Woof! posted:

Practically the only thing every BBQ region in the US agrees on is that wonder bread is the ideal bread for smoked meat.
As such, I've been planning a wonder bread clone for a while and today's results were pretty good.
Made some dinner rolls with the excess dough, too.

Used a mix of bread flour and little semolina, whole milk, and goat milk powder.
Really nice, small and uniform crumb. Really few blisters.
Baked it in a pullman pan so that it came out crustless.

May take the semolina out entirely as I feel like the bread could be springier, maybe I could up the milkfat?
Or use a more gluten rich flour?
Any advice is happily taken.

Should pick up the liquids from smoked meat, pickle brine, and sauce really well.

Try making a roux with a portion of the flour and water and milk, then cook it until it's a sticky paste. Use that as a preferment. This technique is used in China and notably in Hokkaido milk bread, from Japan. If you still want more wonder breadness, dough enhancer will get you the texture you want.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Everybody, if think "oh high hydration dough is weird and hard to work with" FUCKIN WORK WITH IT.

edit: holy loving tablebreaking sorry

This is the best bread I have ever made and it's close to 90% hydration, half and half whole wheat and white, and brushed with roasted garlic pesto.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 21, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Nicol Bolas posted:

Everybody, if think "oh high hydration dough is weird and hard to work with" FUCKIN WORK WITH IT.

edit: holy loving tablebreaking sorry

This is the best bread I have ever made and it's close to 90% hydration, half and half whole wheat and white, and brushed with roasted garlic pesto.

I'm pretty sure that you can knead a 200% hydration loaf into submission, so really, just give it time if your foccacia or whatever is too wet. An autolyse also helps quite a bit.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Try making a roux with a portion of the flour and water and milk, then cook it until it's a sticky paste. Use that as a preferment. This technique is used in China and notably in Hokkaido milk bread, from Japan. If you still want more wonder breadness, dough enhancer will get you the texture you want.

Woah, that's crazy. I definitely will try this.
Also looked up Hokkaido Milk Bread and that's fascinating.
Definitely want to make something with that kind of a texture.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

le capitan posted:

That looks amazing!! Now make bread bowls and clam chowder plz. K'thnkz

To quote Wesley, as you wish:

Well except it's bloody impossible to get clams here in the UK, so it's just a fish chowder.

And it was Sourdough Surprises weekend, so I also made sourdough cornbread:

Plus I made sourdough waffles to cure a handover:

And sourdough bee string cake... because I didn't get enough calories from the rest of my baking :S

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
^^^ Those waffles look delicious!

Here's my latest loaf using this recipe.

I cooked it in my dutch oven, taking off the cover for the last 15 minutes and it came out perfect! Was a total hit with the household.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

darthbob88 posted:

Finally got around to this, so trip report. Followed PatMarshall's recipe, excepting a lack of precision WRT to measuring and reduced ferment/rise times, and made two loaves. One of them was baked in the dutch oven, and turned out marvelously. Locking the steam in means the crust is tender though still chewy, and it's light and fluffy after expanding so long. Unfortunately, it still doesn't have any sourdough flavor and is lacking in big bubbles, but that's most likely because I only let it rise for an hour or two each time, so it couldn't ferment as much as it should.

The other I didn't get pictures of because I believe one of the dogs ate it while we were out, but it was cooked on a cookie sheet, and wound up with a much harder crust, which my mother attempted to mellow by painting it with butter. And yes, that may have been why the dog grabbed it.

Conclusion: Baking in a dutch oven does make for better sourdough.

ETA: Just realized another possible reason I'd make better bread at my parents house. I'm currently living in the Seatac area, while my parents live 200 miles south. Of course yeast will grow better and bread will rise more in a warmer climate.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 22, 2014

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Woof! Woof! - this the enriched bread I make regularly for a soft white bread. For a 13 x 4 x 4 pullman loaf:

225 g milk
30-40 g butter
80 g egg (or just 2 eggs and add more flour if needed)
520 g flour
30 g potato flour
40-60 g sugar
1 Tb salt
3 3/4 tsp instant yeast

Mix, ferment, shape, proof.

Bake at 350 F 30-40 minutes, until internal temp is 195

Sometimes I'll replace 100 g each of the milk and flour with 200 g of sourdough starter.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What diameter dutch oven do you guys use? I'm looking for one currently.
I took a look at Le Creuset stuff but this poo poo is so loving expensive it's unbelievable...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Serious eats recommends http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_9

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I use staub.

But you should consider a römertopf - I believe you can get equally good, or better results, and they're cheaper

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got this one for $40 at Bed Bath and Beyond

http://www.amazon.com/Emerilware-En...eril+dutch+oven

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

I own this one and it works pretty great.

I was eyeballing one of these though cause it just looks cool for making oblong loaves.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks guys, I'll take a look

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
Nobody was posting here, so I think I'm allowed to post some random weekend baking.

I made sourdough baguettes.

They had good crumb.

We made them into 'artisan' fish finger sandwiches.

We enjoyed them.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Nibblet posted:

I own this one and it works pretty great.

I was eyeballing one of these though cause it just looks cool for making oblong loaves.

I see yours is 30cm wide. I found one not very expensive but it's 24cm wide (approx 9.5 inches) think it would do or is it too small?

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

Le0 posted:

I see yours is 30cm wide. I found one not very expensive but it's 24cm wide (approx 9.5 inches) think it would do or is it too small?

24cm might be a push for a 1kg (2lb) loaf, although it might help give a nice high loaf due to the restricted width.

However I will say that if you're looking at something purely for bread, the high sides of both of those will make it awkward to get the dough into them without misshaping or burning yourself. I highly recommend La Cloche for round loaves, and I'm planning on getting one of these for oblong ones, although the sides are higher than I'd like.

But that's just for pure bread uses. If you don't have a Dutch oven / casserole, I'd advise getting one of those first. You can use it for bread and casseroles and all sorts, much more versatile.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Le0 posted:

Personally, I think 24cm would be too small. But I usually have my dough proofing in a basket and then just up-end it into my piping hot dutch oven and my aim isn't really all that great. For me, the wider the opening, the better chance I have of landing the dough in the center. But again, that's just me.

If you plan on using other methods or use smaller rounds of dough, I think that size would be fine. And like KuroMayuri said, it's always nice to have for other uses too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KuroMayuri posted:

24cm might be a push for a 1kg (2lb) loaf, although it might help give a nice high loaf due to the restricted width.

However I will say that if you're looking at something purely for bread, the high sides of both of those will make it awkward to get the dough into them without misshaping or burning yourself. I highly recommend La Cloche for round loaves, and I'm planning on getting one of these for oblong ones, although the sides are higher than I'd like.

But that's just for pure bread uses. If you don't have a Dutch oven / casserole, I'd advise getting one of those first. You can use it for bread and casseroles and all sorts, much more versatile.

I also have a La Cloche, which is brilliant. Highly recommended if you bake often.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I think I've worked out what's wrong with my sourdough starter. I finally laid hands on a copy of Peter Reinhardt's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and it mentions that you're supposed to feed your culture high-gluten flour, preferably unbleached whole wheat, and chlorine-free water. As opposed to the bleached flour and chlorinated tap water I've been giving mine. Whoops. Will try making another batch or two with this starter, but if it doesn't work out, I'll start a new culture and do it properly.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I'm planning on making up some rich dough rolls for Thanksgiving but I'd like to make the dough the day before and bake early the day of. Best to put it in the fridge for the first or second (after forming) rise? Does it matter?

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

ChetReckless posted:

I'm planning on making up some rich dough rolls for Thanksgiving but I'd like to make the dough the day before and bake early the day of. Best to put it in the fridge for the first or second (after forming) rise? Does it matter?

I always proof in the fridge after forming with my sourdough. Just take out for an hour, while the oven heats up, before baking in the morning. Works great... but I'd love to know if there's a better time to fridge it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

KuroMayuri posted:

I always proof in the fridge after forming with my sourdough. Just take out for an hour, while the oven heats up, before baking in the morning. Works great... but I'd love to know if there's a better time to fridge it.

I did exactly this and it turned out pretty well. Thanks for the reassurance.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

I think I've worked out what's wrong with my sourdough starter. I finally laid hands on a copy of Peter Reinhardt's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and it mentions that you're supposed to feed your culture high-gluten flour, preferably unbleached whole wheat, and chlorine-free water. As opposed to the bleached flour and chlorinated tap water I've been giving mine. Whoops. Will try making another batch or two with this starter, but if it doesn't work out, I'll start a new culture and do it properly.

You don't have to make a whole loaf of bread to see if your starter is active.

It wouldn't hurt (other than time I suppose) to just start feeding the starter you have with high-gluten bread flour and spring water (I just get the 3 gal jugs for a buck at the grocery store). It should double within 3-4 hrs at room temperature (around 70F). If it doesn't, it's not active enough for a 3-4 hr rise. Leave it out a little longer, discard some, and feed again until it does. If it was in the refrigerator, remember to allow an hour or so to come up to room temp before feeding, or add an hour to starter rise time. Just make sure your starter doubles in volume in a reasonable amount of time, just like you would for a loaf. Sourdough starter is the same thing as a loaf of sourdough bread at the same hydration (without salt I suppose), just a much smaller volume.

Once you've got that, move on to wasting flour figuring out how to properly shape loaves, proper oven spring, etc :) (and halve your recipe to save some money there too) I went through the same thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

dedian posted:

Sourdough starter is the same thing as a loaf of sourdough bread at the same hydration (without salt I suppose), just a much smaller volume.

As illustrated by this recipe from the GWS wiki.

Edit: poo poo, didn't notice that was in response to me. The main reason I was going to make a loaf to test my culture was that I was halfway through making that batch when I discovered what I'd done wrong. I've been feeding it right since that incident, and while it's still not as vigorous as I'd like, it grows. Suspect the cold isn't doing my culture any favors. Going to try making another batch tomorrow, expect it'll turn out better than the last did. I left it in the fridge to ferment and rise overnight, so it was very flavorful, and rose adequately, with a nice light crumb, but I left it in the oven too long and it came out with a knife-breaking crust.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 14, 2014