Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

"I do not want to see the light." - Linus Torvalds 2014 :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgUPqygAww

of course he owns a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's kinda funny how it looks like he's grimacing all the time in that video

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

it's kinda funny how it looks like he's grimacing all the time in that video

if you had to spend so much time organizing kernel developers, you'd grimace, too

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I wanted to do some linux computering today

sudo apt-get install qt-sdk

to make a desktop application for linux (lol)

but I get these 404 errors about raring-security not found or some poo poo. so I guess my linux mint cinnamon went stale and I have to upgrade?? so I can't even install new software on this thing or what. and then google says oh just type apt-get dist-upgrade but nope that has the same errors.

please tell me how bad I am at linux, and where I screwed up.

right now I'm running rsync to backup this machine, then I'll just install stock debian and never install a fancy desktop for linux ever again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ator posted:

but I get these 404 errors about raring-security not found or some poo poo. so I guess my linux mint cinnamon went stale and I have to upgrade?? so I can't even install new software on this thing or what. and then google says oh just type apt-get dist-upgrade but nope that has the same errors.

right now I'm running rsync to backup this machine, then I'll just install stock debian and never install a fancy desktop for linux ever again

you probably just need to do "apt-get update" to refresh the package lists.

but yes, installing regular debian is a good idea. the QT SDK is probably not part of the "supported" package set in ubuntu, so you'll end up with a two? three? four? year old version linking against unexpected things

p.s. use tar for backups, not rsync

p.p.s. just back up /home, you probably don't want anything else

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you probably just need to do "apt-get update" to refresh the package lists.

exact same raring-security/main amd 64 404 not found bullshit

edit: I can't paste it because this is my windows machine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ator posted:

exact same raring-security/main amd 64 404 not found bullshit

edit: I can't paste it because this is my windows machine

time to switch to real debian, then

ubuntu is not really supportable, it's just a mess.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

time to switch to fedora or centos, then

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Ator posted:

please tell me how bad I am at linux
          |/

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Debian is really bad. They don't give you a login shell for your X session so /etc/profile just doesn't work.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Suspicious Dish posted:

Debian is really bad. They don't give you a login shell for your X session so /etc/profile just doesn't work.

who the gently caress runs X that's idiot poo poo, debian belongs on a headless box somewhere not on your desktop son

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

who the gently caress runs X that's idiot poo poo, debian belongs on a headless box somewhere not on your desktop son

But it's the year of the Linux desktop?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

But it's the year of the Linux desktop?

forever and ever

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
n+1 year of linux on the desktop!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aren't their more apps for ubuntu tho?

ugh i hate religious wars just give me some facts dammit

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

syntaxrigger posted:

It will be a combo of Ubuntu having more commercial supported apps and Debian having more F/OSS supported apps. Pretty unlucky to find something that works on one and not the other though.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Fresh install is working great.

also:

du and df have an option:
-h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format

It's off by default.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ator posted:

Fresh install is working great.

also:

du and df have an option:
-h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format

It's off by default.

turning that on by default can theoretically break shell scripts that parse their output; stick BLOCK_SIZE=human-readable in your environment and all the GNU utilities will default to it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Because the best way to program is to plug together utilities that output text meant for human consumption.

it's the Unix philosophy after all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
whoops my error message is now an API contract

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ator posted:

Mint is bad and was hot linking to the Ubuntu servers for the update they were driving from. Raring hasn't been supported for over a year. Just put in a new Ubuntu LTS CD and do the install option that preserves your home directory, no futzing needed.

Ubuntu had more supported software than Debian fwiw, oss included

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
420 blaze it vote wu tang

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ator posted:

here's where you screwed up

Ator posted:

or maybe here

Ator posted:

linux

get a Mac or use Haiku

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you want to make a desktop app for linux then you should use java, so your app will also run on every other os without any porting or even recompiling.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

if you want to make a desktop app for linux then you should use java, so your app will also run like total poo poo on every other os without any porting or even recompiling.

(i have to run linux on the desktop at work. the only thing worse than native linux software is java software)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Take a bunch of Linux software
Then get some middlemen to add an installation script to it and delay its release to users by six months (Debian)
Then get some incompetent middlemen to gently caress things up, hack random bits of desktop code to make it more "user friendly" (based on no user feedback whatsoever) and also replace key system components for political reasons (Ubuntu)
Then gently caress it up some more and replace the desktop shell with some homegrown thing (Mint)

Don't use Ubuntu or any of its derivatives.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

(i have to run linux on the desktop at work. the only thing worse than native linux software is java software)
sorry about your bad software, I hope it gets better. you're probably using an obsolete jre or a stupidly small heap though, java 8 is really fast with anything not written by clowns so maybe try that?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

sorry about your bad software, I hope it gets better. you're probably using an obsolete jre or a stupidly small heap though, java 8 is really fast with anything not written by clowns so maybe try that?

yes let me use fresh untested unsupported incompatible software out of oracle

like a clown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Soricidus posted:

lol

yes, java is actually really quite good, but only if you use it this way. you see, you were holding it wrong

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

anyone have any linux terminal emulator suggestions?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Ubuntu had more supported software than Debian fwiw, oss included

this is complete nonsense

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

ugh i hate religious wars just give me some facts dammit

i am working on an effort post because i looked at my earlier posts in this thread, and while they allude to the problem, they don't go into detail

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 21, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

konsole
yakuake

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

terminator is aight even if you aren't using the multi-panel stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

syntaxrigger posted:

xterm, what else would you use?

if you want something nice don't use Linux or X.